Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Synopsis

quote:

Haruta and Chika are members of their high school wind instrument club that is on the verge of being shutdown because there are only four members. The two are childhood friends that got split up, but reunited nine years later and they spend their days studying and also trying to recruit new members. When a mysterious event occurs within their school, they band together in order to solve the mystery.

Haruchika has been a fun show that I enjoy so far. It has been cute and silly, with some decent touches of drama as our duo solves other people's problems in order to recruit them into their club. You can watch it on Daisuke or through Funimation's streaming service, or through Hulu.

A quick summation of the relationship of our main characters:

Some fun gifs:

Allarion fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

why is she a dog

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

pandaK posted:

why is she a dog

She's protecting her territory obviously.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

pandaK posted:

why is she a dog

Because she's an actooor~

http://webm.land/media/2e3c.webm

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Only watching this for Chika's eyes.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

god tier
chika's eyes

good tier
the OP song

mid tier
the story
haruta

poo poo tier
chika

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm the girl who's playing euphonium bass tuba handheld in the OP.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I'm all for "normal" gay characters but I don't like the teacher being the love interest. Is the teacher-student romance a major focus because that's the thing keeping me from watching this show.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Zettace posted:

I'm all for "normal" gay characters but I don't like the teacher being the love interest. Is the teacher-student romance a major focus because that's the thing keeping me from watching this show.

They're just both crushing on him. I heavily doubt he'll reciprocate.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I mean do they continue to swoon over him every time he appears on screen.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Zettace posted:

I mean do they continue to swoon over him every time he appears on screen.

They preen when he comes into a room and try to one-up each other finding reasons to be around him :3: It's handled really sweetly and like a dumb kid crush, I had the same reservation about it when they revealed the 'love-triangle' but it's really good so far :)

Also, I hope there is more Narushima being a goof in the season

http://webm.land/media/bgCt.webm

http://webm.land/media/OViJ.webm

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I hope they show more of Realistic Cat.

Trombone girl gonna be best girl, because trombone girls are always best girl.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Meh to this show, meh I say! I was a theatre kid back in highschool, though due to my hideous countenance and rotten personality, I mostly did tech. When will anime finally recognize the plight of the set builders, the lighting technicians, the ASMs?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mordja posted:

Meh to this show, meh I say! I was a theatre kid back in highschool, though due to my hideous countenance and rotten personality, I mostly did tech. When will anime finally recognize the plight of the set builders, the lighting technicians, the ASMs?

anime is like real life in that no one cares about uggoes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

god tier
chika's eyes

good tier
the OP song

mid tier
the story
haruta

poo poo tier
chika

The gently caress you say about Chika, mate?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Cool thing about this week's Haruchika. The trombone itself was a Yamaha, as one would expect given that the show comes out in japan: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/winds/trombones/basstrombones/ybl-620g/?mode=model

BUT: The case was from a third party, Eastman Winds, not the stock Yamaha case.

Compare to the stock Yamaha case for that model (The 800 series has slightly more streamlined cases):

The mouthpiece distorts its shape, so I can't properly tell what it's supposed to be.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 4, 2016

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I was not expecting the Vietnam War to be the answer to this week's mystery.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Allarion posted:

I sort of did expect it, but then I have been watching a lot of history focused shows over the last year or so. Young Black Jack, of which I watched like the first 4 episodes, had a big long arc about Vietnam. Then you consider Sakurako-san, Concrete Revolutio, Gatchaman, et cetera, and I pretty easily reached the conclusion as soon as they said that it wasn't in a zoo. Didn't expect the colors = defoliants thing, though.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Allarion posted:

Yeah... :smith: Strong episode too, I've liked this one and last weeks the most so far I think

Kytrarewn posted:

I sort of did expect it, but then I have been watching a lot of history focused shows over the last year or so. Young Black Jack, of which I watched like the first 4 episodes, had a big long arc about Vietnam. Then you consider Sakurako-san, Concrete Revolutio, Gatchaman, et cetera, and I pretty easily reached the conclusion as soon as they said that it wasn't in a zoo. Didn't expect the colors = defoliants thing, though.

Cute avatar :3:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This is quickly turning into my favorite anime of the season. It's got a really nice mixture of clever and touching.

Do people trespass in that school often enough that they need a mancatcher and net gun on hand, or was that just a happy coincidence?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Command Ant posted:

This is quickly turning into my favorite anime of the season. It's got a really nice mixture of clever and touching.

Do people trespass in that school often enough that they need a mancatcher and net gun on hand, or was that just a happy coincidence?

Reading between the lines, it felt like the Student Council President was allowing that Invention Club exist and as a concession they would have to provide some services such as tools for school security, which of course didn't pan out too well.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Knorth posted:

Cute avatar :3:

What can I say, I saw an anime that plays my instrument, and I was immediately struck by the need to make it my avatar (I also had done a really lovely job with the Shimoneta.gif and was regretting it).

I'm just proud of myself for considering the context and not making my title "Bass trombonists do it in 18 positions", the typical bass trombonist tagline.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 4, 2016

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I knew the clarinet girl looked determined in the op for a reason.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
It's always sad when the best moment in an episode "Omae ka?!" and the associated story doesn't translate into gif form.

Drama club guy ruined that moment. I really wanted to see the conversation between Chika and the mother after Chika screamed "I want a boy" and charged at them

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Haruchika starting off on a serious note this week. Was a nice heartwarming episode though.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Allarion posted:

Haruchika starting off on a serious note this week. Was a nice heartwarming episode though.

Yeah, that was a super sweet episode

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Haruchika: Puzzles of Life Problems That Happen To Be Band Geeks

Good episode.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I am quite thoroughly confused.

Was the organization a cult? A commune? A terrorist group? The Japanese equivalent of SDS?

I imagine we'll get an explanation later in the series (somehow... I can't think of a good way that it would come up again), but still, it's not like this show not to give *some* sort of hint as to what the hell is going on. I mean, it was obvious from the beginning of auntie's story that the onigiri were poisoned and so I would have liked some resolution as to the actual mystery.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kytrarewn posted:

I am quite thoroughly confused.

Was the organization a cult? A commune? A terrorist group? The Japanese equivalent of SDS?

I imagine we'll get an explanation later in the series (somehow... I can't think of a good way that it would come up again), but still, it's not like this show not to give *some* sort of hint as to what the hell is going on. I mean, it was obvious from the beginning of auntie's story that the onigiri were poisoned and so I would have liked some resolution as to the actual mystery.

It sounded like it was some kind of cult or terrorist group or Japanese nationalist group. I doubt it'll come up later, the only real important thing was that Benjant had some beef with them that he wanted to kill them for. After Vietnam though, I just sort of assumed there's some historical parallel to it and the story would go there with the onigiri. I actually guessed drugs or suicide cult first though. Was kinda neat that the flashback was portrayed that way though. Gave a nice fantasy feel to it.

Also Chika should accept her feelings for Naoko.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Wow, my interpretation was much simpler, since I thought the metaphor didn't really matter.

It was a university club/circle, Birds were girls, Forest Animals were guys, and the guys were were bullying Benjant. Metaphor was made to protect the names of those involved, but the onigiri was real.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's a shame drummer dude joined in so late. I like the detective trio dynamic.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So I'm guessing that the final mystery will be trying to figure out why Kusakabe got sick of conducting on the pro circuit?

I, for one, am blaming Dudamel.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not completely caught up yet but I broke my anime drought with 4 episodes of this show and it's so cute. I've really enjoyed Haru and Chika undercutting each other any time they try to get some one-on-one time with the teacher. I was initially wondering how they were going to introduce the extra members since obviously they have more at the end than get individual recruitment episodes but then they were like "this hot guy joined and like 5 girls soon joined after" and mystery solved lol

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
For such a hot guy, Maren is boring as gently caress.

Drummer dude is cool though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol at the little background detail in the opening for 10 -- you can't sit around with a horn in your hand and *not* want to toot on it

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Seriously, Chika and Serizawa should kiss already.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

This show was good and cute, but sadly lost in mediocrity amongst everything else.

I'd watch a 2nd season though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I wouldn't mind more. I didn't realize there was a 5 or 6 book series so was curious as to how much material got adapted and how much was left.

I was browsing some reviews/reactions just to see what people thought of it at the end and was kinda bummed out at how much people hated Haruta. He's such a cutie :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

This show was good and cute, but sadly lost in mediocrity amongst everything else.

I'd watch a 2nd season though.

• Locked thread