Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Sorry that updates have been so spread out recently; life has been kicking my butt in all kinds of ways and we haven't been able to schedule another recording. Looking back, it seems like almost every post I've made here has started the same way. Fortunately, I'm stuck at home with side effects from an anti-depressant, so let's get back to the solo version of the quest. This time, we're finishing our worm journey by giving our worm some magic lettuce, then picking up Riri's trail again from a turnip juice barman with a bad case of the hiccups. I really think I need to spend the time to make one of those "Jojo but really fast" videos that accurately explains the plot while making no sense to anyone who doesn't already know the plot, but about this game. I don't know how that would differ from the actual game.

Part 4: It's about this point when I realized that we could probably just keep riding these animals and never stop Polsy Youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Sorry, no update yet. Holidays and colds have gotten in the way of getting any more recorded, but I'm hoping to finish this LP up this winter and would hate to have the thread archived so close to the end.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Two-month bump time. The Splash and I have had conflicting schedules for the past few weeks, but I believe hers is opening up and we should be able to record the next video soon.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

By "soon", I clearly meant "once the pandemic clears out and the people making excessive background noise in our respective neighborhoods have other places to go to do that again". I had no idea the local landscaping company mowed so often. On the bright side, judging by the temperature, we're still on target for a winter finish as I predicted.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I hate having to do this, but we're so close to the end. Things are still moving slowly, but we'll get there. I'm really hoping to have an update ready the next time I post here.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Oh, great, another bump of the dead Gobliiins thread. That's what you were thinking, right? Well, surprise! The Splash and I cleared out our schedules for the week and got together for two more recording sessions. That's right - we've finished the game, and with it, the series. I still need to finish getting the videos together, but the only thing standing in the way of the end of this series is my own free time. For starters, I'm sure everyone remembers that we missed a gold tooth in the last session, so we started things off by going back for it. I could probably just have combined this with the first part of the next session, but in the interest of having some content as soon as possible, here's that part of it on its own.

Interlude: "It doesn't even have a line to it! It's just a bump!" Polsy Youtube

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
It's certainly been a while. I've completely forgotten where we left off.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Don't worry. I'll provide a plot summary at the start of the next episode.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

We're in the final stretch of the game. There's only one gold tooth left to find, and then we'll get to find out what they're for. But first, we've found the farm where Riri said he was heading long, long ago, and now we need to pick up the trail again. I apologize for the abrupt end of the video - I forgot to disable my computer's night mode, and you might notice near the end of this part that the colors were starting to fade. I had to hop out of the program to fix it, and that seemed like the most sensible place to put a split. It has been almost a year since I did this, after all.

Part 5-1: "Did I just kill a vegetable?" Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Don't worry. The rest of the level doesn't make any more sense than the first part, but at least we're mostly done with hunting for tiny objects.

Part 5-2: "If you ever want to introduce someone to this game, just show them the last five seconds." Polsy Youtube

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
That level seems almost reasonable compared the ones we've done before.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
The Splash was on fire for a while there, with a long streak of solving puzzles on the first attempt. Should she be worried about her sanity?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Please don't be alarmed. The vegetables were very pleasant to work with, but there are three rooms to go, and there will be a sharp downward dive in comprehensibility. You won't even know what anything is supposed to be by the end of it.

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

In my restless dreams,
I see those teeth.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The descent from relative sanity begins here. Cerviss the elf has sent us straight to the end of Riri's trail, where we find a smelly sock next to a temple of feet. But we're not going in the temple of feet. We're going to the one place Gobliiins hasn't yet managed to defile... SPACE! Where there are singing ducks. Also, we finally get to see why we've been collecting all these gold teeth.

Part 5-3: "I'm saying all kinds of sentences for the first time in my life, every time we do a recording." Polsy Youtube

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Ok, so now I know what the golden teeth are for, even if it happens to be the most arbitary reason in existance. And now we are going to go into space? I know that the Gobliiins series has always been stream of conciousness nonsence and this game really does not dissapoint on that front.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Did you ever have one of those moments where you spend an entire video trying to find one off-the-wall action to advance something? Well, that's Simon the Sorcerer II for you. But in Gobliiins 4, that's more like every video. I think The Splash's mind may have been elsewhere during this process. But hey! At least we did rescue AN aardvark. Just not that one. And finally, the whole plot of the game is revealed. I don't think even the characters really care at this point.

Part 5-4: "It just hit me, these guys have some serious thigh gap." Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Things are winding down at last, but we've still got to cover the same ground in the solo playthrough. Let's join Who, What, and I Don't Know for a rollicking adventure on the farm and the world's most pointless whodunit starring characters you probably don't even remember existed.

Part 5: I've Found the Weed; You Can't Fool Me Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The final session begins with a trip to the world of the Creator, where we will learn the meaning of our quest, bring harmony to something or other, and come up with ideas for the bonus screen.

Part 6-1: "Man, this reminds me of back when I did tech support." Polsy Youtube

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
That was one of the most normal screens of the game. So the end is in sight after nearly 4 years of Goblins?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Well that was a fun intro. You know I can barely believe this is it for Gobliiins, it's been one of the weirdest journeys I've witnessed.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
This is actually the only LP I’m really following nowadays, and I really like the concept of one person being blind giving directions to the other player. It’s really entertaining and a good way to do games with this kind of fringe logic. Also, you guys have great chemistry and humor.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I've definitely enjoyed the LP, despite the scheduling issues. There are other games I'd like to LP in this way in the future, but I'll need to take a bit of a break after this one. Two more guest videos to go, and then the final solo video, and that will be the end of the Gobliiins series.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm going to be very busy for the next month or so, so the end of the LP is unlikely to come out until 2021. But for now, let's explore a planet where nothing makes sense and everything has a strange name. I can only assume that someone played through Woodruff and the Schnibble and thought "This is a neat idea, but the names are too easy to pronounce and remember. We need something properly weird for the grand finale of Gobliiins!" They don't appear to have thought much about the nature of cause and effect. But Riri is here, and all we need to do is come up with a recipe. We made potions in a lab with disembodied hands! We can do this!

Part 6-2: "Probably should do something besides trying to grab everything in space." Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It's still Christmas where I am, and thanks to circumstances, I'm sitting at home cooking my own meals and fielding calls from distant family members. I hope this year has managed to be not terrible for you in some way. In any case, whether you celebrate a holiday where gift-giving is a thing or not, you can consider this a gift. We've reached the end of the final Gobliiins game, and despite a hint in the credits that there could be a Gobliiins 5 in the future, I don't expect it any time soon. While there is still the final solo video yet to come, I assume many of you will stop watching here, and if that includes you, thanks for joining us. It's time for this series to end in the only way that could possibly provide the conclusion it deserves: baking.

Part 6-3: "Oh, this is a piece of cake." Polsy Youtube

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
It took years, but here we are at the end of all things. What am I going to eat my meals to every third month or so now that the LP is over?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It probably won't be any time soon, but I would like to do an LP in this style again someday. I think it would be an interesting way to approach the first two Simon the Sorcerer games, at least. I've also toyed with the idea of The Witness, but with the other person at the controls and me just sitting back to prevent too much frustration from setting in when something isn't intended to be solved yet, or for redirecting thoughts around those dangerous assumptions that only get in the way, or to assure them that yes, while they will never be able to hear Hall of the Mountain King with a steady heart rate again, there is a reward at the end of the experience.

I'm also somewhere in the middle of Control, and while I'm hoping to get some work done on it this week, I'm almost two bonus podcasts behind and it may well start taking me about three months to get videos done, so that could work for you.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Good to see you get to the end :)

Thanks Nidoking (and Splash) for sticking with this fun little series.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Gotta say, that was a suitably strange final level. And it joins the ranks of the suprisingly many adventure games where you are required to bake a pie/cake for some reason.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Great job. As I’ve said in the past, I like this style and it really fits the game, and this is really the only LP I’ve been following lately.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Good job Nidoking. This was a fun style for this series. I kinda lost interest in the middle of 4 but, I am glad you pulled through.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Well, this is it. The actual end of the LP. I feel like I didn't really give it my all for this one in some respects, but I think the inventory management would have been impossible to recreate effectively if I wanted to do a second take. The high point of this, for me, is another one of those things The Splash didn't try, but which I think is worth seeing. The low point is pretty much everything else. For all the effort it takes to get to the bonus screen, the actual reward leaves a lot to be desired. A fourth wall break is definitely different, but making jokes about how few ideas you have rarely substitutes well for actually having ideas. The actual finale is about what we've come to expect, I think. We've gone from fighting a shape-changing wizard to escaping from the dimension of pain, to playing a tune, to baking a cake. The credits (which I didn't record) rather ominously say of Gobliiins 5 "We're working on it!" Well, it's been twelve years, and not only has there not been a fifth game, but the fourth has disappeared from every digital storefront I'm aware of it ever having been on. That's negative progress. Honestly, I think the series ran its course. There's a lot you can do with character-swapping mechanics, but the level of absurdism gets to be too much. I may just go replay The Lost Vikings.

Part 6: Well, that takes the cake. Polsy Youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wanted to say thanks for sticking with this LP to the end and finishing this series.