Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mags

I am a congenital optimist.
In this thread I would like to explore movies that influenced you when you were young, whether they were powerful dramas or perhaps a favorite cartoon movie.

In the 1995 film, the Indian and the Cupboard , a young boy discovers that his toy cabinet can bring small figurines to life once closed, locked, and then opened. This amazing light fantasy film touches on many lofty issues for a family film, such as death, prejudice, and trust. But to me, the most impressive thing this film brought to the table was the performance by the tiny actors who depict Iroquois warrior Little Bear, cowboy Boone, and WWI Medic Tommy Atkins.

During the film, we see young Omri interact with Little Bear and Boone, learning about trust and friendship, as well as responsibility, while the two also discover that they aren't so different from one another. During all of this, Little Bear is shown to build a longhouse out of twigs, craw under floorboards to retrieve a lost key, and fights a rat, scenes only believable by the actor's diminutive size. Had a well-known, average sized actor depicted the tiny Little Bear, these scenes wouldn't have been so magical and believable. I only wish that these actors had found themselves in other roles, perhaps allowing tiny people everywhere more stories to identify with, like a 4-inch tall John McClane, or perhaps a miniscule Jedi in the Star Wars films. Sadly, the window of opportunity for inclusion has passed, and the torch must be passed to another generation of tiny actors.

What films influenced you, and why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags

This film was delightful in that they actually found four sets of identical twins where one twin was incredibly tiny. This allowed them to film sequences of the four main characters as normal sized and then as they are shrunk into the world of the microscopic we barely skip a beat. As far as movie magic is concerned, even more incredible was the use of tiny cameras and what must have been a hard to assemble tiny crew to film the characters in various stages of their journey back to their father's laboratory.

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Luvcow

One day nearer spring
When i was a kid i loved this movie:

Indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark. Not only does harrison ford play a gritty archaeologist he actually ends up killing numerous people while filming the movie. In this iconic scene it was supposedly the hundredth take of the day and nearly 110f and ford claims he was suffering from heat stroke when he pulled his gun and killed the actor he was supposed to have a long drawn out fight with:

The end result looks and feels real because it is. this was the first of many actors that ford would kill during filming.

By the end of the movie a severely alcoholic ford actually used a blow torch from the set in an attempt to scare the actor playing the nazi doctor in some kind of a prank but the result was yet another iconic scene:

This changed the entire ending of the film but perhaps for the better. In the end ford had killed or maimed over 70 actors, many of whom would succumb to their wounds within a year of the films opening. As a result i studied anthropology in the hopes that someday i too could rescue religious artifacts from the nazis and maybe kill some too.

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives

1999 film the Matrix (directed by the Wachowski brothers Andy and Larry) was a really striking and revolutionary film for its time because of its groundbreaking special effects and also because it tackled difficult philosophical questions such as "is this real or is it a dream" that were unheard of among moviegoers at the time since everyone just assumed they were watching a movie and not real life. Another reason the movie was so popular was because of the huge coats. Everybody in this movie has em in spades and they are really great. This influenced future films to imitate the Matrix by also having people wear big coats, such as Doctor Who, Underworld, the Matrix sequels, Final Fantasy VII, and Columbine.

In this jaw-dropping scene from the Matrix, we see the main character Neo dodging a bullet. This scene was really revolutionary because the camera goes all the way around and you can see the bullets, which are normally invisible. This was really cool to me as a 13 year old when I saw it for the first time on the bus to Space Camp. Space Camp was cool as poo poo and I feel really bad for you if you never went as a kid because they had the actual space shuttle and we got to do flight simulator stuff and also ride this thing:

This is called the Multi-Axis Trainer (MAT) and it spins you all the gently caress over the place but you don't get dizzy because it never spins you the same way twice (which is what causes dizziness), and your stomach is the center of gravity so you don't get motion sick, even though it looks like it should do both of those things! It's really fun and riding it influenced me a lot when I was young.

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill

my parents rented this and let me watch it with them i might have been eight i'd like to think it gave me a new appreciation for trans people and their wonderful contributions to society

it also possibly influenced my decision to become a physician

Damp Star Baby

Staying Legend. CA Exempt DEATH

I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create. - William Blake

Damp Star Baby

HUSKY DILF posted:

my parents rented this and let me watch it with them i might have been eight i'd like to think it gave me a new appreciation for trans people and their wonderful contributions to society

yeah my parents also inexplicably let me watch this rated R film about a seemingly nice man who eats people when I was a kid

I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create. - William Blake

mags

Willow

This film was a fantastic fantasy-adventure movie but I have a few issues with it. First off, pairing Warwick Davis with noted tiny actor Kevin Pollak was a good move, but now Kevin is inflated to normal size in his more recent roles, showing the rampant discrimination in Hollywood. Also, an actress helped Willow escape in the Dichini tavern scene, but in blatant deus ex fashion the female character is replaced by Val Kilmer during the wagon chase and we never see her again! Hello? Plot hole anyone? Who was the actress and has she been in anything else?

Manifisto

sometimes your life is more profoundly influenced by the films you don't watch

my friends went to this movie without me one afternoon

i haven't seen or heard from them in decades

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 4, 2016

ty nesamdoom!

Pizzatime

super mario brothers

it taught me that you're not gonna get what you wish for

Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate

mister magpie posted:

This film was delightful in that they actually found four sets of identical twins where one twin was incredibly tiny. This allowed them to film sequences of the four main characters as normal sized and then as they are shrunk into the world of the microscopic we barely skip a beat. As far as movie magic is concerned, even more incredible was the use of tiny cameras and what must have been a hard to assemble tiny crew to film the characters in various stages of their journey back to their father's laboratory.

Believe it or not, but those same tiny actors and actresses went on to be stunt doubles in Ant Man

weird

by zen death robot

HUSKY DILF posted:

it also possibly influenced my decision to become a physician

huh ?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Weener Beater

Manifisto posted:

sometimes your life is more profoundly influenced by the films you don't watch

my friends went to this movie without me one afternoon

i haven't seen or heard from them in decades

This film started me on my path to yiff-dom

bacalou

i saw the blob remake when i was like eight and the scene where the guy gets sucked into the drain made me fear washing my hands and taking baths/showers for like a year and a half. oddly enough i still loved those sidewalk grates in nyc that just go down 25 feet bc i always hoped i'd see a ninja turtle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sZxMA4BWd4 warning: gory

Scaly Haylie

Pizzatime posted:

super mario brothers

it taught me that you're not gonna get what you wish for

loving john leguizamo couldn't even be bothered to grow a mustache

Piso Mojado

bacalou posted:

i saw the blob remake when i was like eight and the scene where the guy gets sucked into the drain made me fear washing my hands and taking baths/showers for like a year and a half. oddly enough i still loved those sidewalk grates in nyc that just go down 25 feet bc i always hoped i'd see a ninja turtle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sZxMA4BWd4 warning: gory

holy crap. I remember being a little kid and watching this movie too and there's a scene where the guy in the hazmat suit gets folded backwards into a manhole. still to this day that image is burned into my head.

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
i think when i watched Quarantine (2008), I decided to fight back against things that give me anxiety

ScrubLeague

The Wizard was pretty influential in that it made me want to play video games every day for the rest of my life so I did.

----------------

Scaly Haylie

ScrubLeague posted:

The Wizard was pretty influential in that it made me want to play video games every day for the rest of my life so I did.

wait, that movie was about video games?!

ScrubLeague

Well it was really about an autistic kid who escaped an institution with the help of a couple of rear end in a top hat kids who hitchhiked across the country without their parents having any idea for the first half hour.

----------------

Damp Star Baby

the autistic kid then becomes the world champion of videogames. It's every goon's wet dream.

Piso Mojado

power glove

Piso Mojado

I love the power glove. it's so bad

Brexit the Frog

ScrubLeague posted:

i rented it cuz it had Mario on the cover, and i haven't regretted it at all in the 26 years since

the unabonger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hh4Mc7mtJE

i met wingnut when i was young and it was lik meeting a god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ilk2NfOyw

• Locked thread