Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Tried ToME4 again. Made it about 8 hours in before a unique in an area I was 12 levels above the min requirement 1-shotted me from full health. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have isaac (only rebirth), crypt, spelunky, nuclear throne, rogue legacy and soon shiren, z.h.p. and Downwell on the vita, it's pretty great. I've played a shitload of Spelunky on it. I would still like something more like TOME on my phone though

E: realize this thread is for pc, no disrespect OP

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

Tried ToME4 again. Made it about 8 hours in before a unique in an area I was 12 levels above the min requirement 1-shotted me from full health. Awesome.
yeah there’s some dumb stuff like that. I play on the setting that gives you a couple of spare lives for just that eventuality, but it still sucks, as if it’s trying to make up for the rest of the game having less bullshit

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah there’s some dumb stuff like that. I play on the setting that gives you a couple of spare lives for just that eventuality, but it still sucks, as if it’s trying to make up for the rest of the game having less bullshit

If I'm going to keep playing this I think I have to switch to adventure mode because gently caress the bullshit.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Ralp posted:

Yup, when I saw that I was... well not "excited" but, interested, I guess. All it was is them rolling a bunch of third party quality-of-life patches into the official game. It took them 12 years to do that and it's still unmitigated AIDS.

Nethack is venerable and its wrong to swear at it.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I think I got to Gehennom once. I'm not very good at NetHack.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I think I got to Gehennom once. I'm not very good at NetHack.

That's fitting as nethack is not very good.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Thug Lessons posted:

If I'm going to keep playing this I think I have to switch to adventure mode because gently caress the bullshit.

that's what I've seen people recommend - the game isn't really designed for roguelike mode, as I understand it.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Once you get some exp under your belt nightmare and above is the way to go. You get better drops and more xp which offsets the difficulty increase

I've never made it past dreadfell tho

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

that's what I've seen people recommend - the game isn't really designed for roguelike mode, as I understand it.

Yeah. However it really doesn't speak well of the game that they had to give you extra lives to paper over its flaws.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

Yeah. However it really doesn't speak well of the game that they had to give you extra lives to paper over its flaws.
This is true, but thankfully the developer is pretty responsive and active and is apparently aware of and working on this at least

Dec 26, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

it mostly is, and then you run into some unique that immediately strips all your escape options immediatwly on entry, then you just die with basically no recourse

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Some of ToME's scenarios are really great with the threat of permadeath hanging overhead and that feeling makes it more fun

01011001 posted:

it mostly is, and then you run into some unique that immediately strips all your escape options immediatwly on entry, then you just die with basically no recourse

and then something like this happens and the joy is gone

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This is true, but thankfully the developer is pretty responsive and active and is apparently aware of and working on this at least

Actually he's an insane moron on every possible level and it owns.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Darkgod works 80 hours a week between ToME and his real programming job and he has two kids who I assume live on saltines and foraged grubs.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Once a month he puts live scorpions in their lunchboxes, just to keep them on their toes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thug Lessons posted:

Darkgod works 80 hours a week between ToME and his real programming job and he has two kids who I assume live on saltines and foraged grubs.

Wow, that's loving funny.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Too real for you?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

Too real for you?
                              /

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

Actually he's an insane moron on every possible level and it owns.
these things can go hand in hand

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thug Lessons posted:

Too real for you?

Lol

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Black August posted:

play ADOM

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

play ADOM

I've beat ADOM twice, and it's the scariest survival horror game out there. It's a bad game that wants to do really loving bad things to you, and it's not afraid to go back to prison.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LOL, this guy has a family he loves and supports, and breaks his back during his little free time to develop a long-standing personal project that he has poured countless hours of love and dedication too for years! What a loving F*GGOT.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Nice try troll but actually he's abandoned his family to code steam orcs.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

StoryTime posted:

I've beat ADOM twice, and it's the scariest survival horror game out there. It's a bad game that wants to do really loving bad things to you, and it's not afraid to go back to prison.

I dragged a number of normal ends and one really hard ultimate end out of its squirming barbed guts and that was enough for me for one lifetime, I've had my True Roguelike fill thank you

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Sproggiwood is a good game, and it's on sale.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
nethack is a good game, it's just kind of stale at this point

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
nethack is like dwarf fortress in that i'm very glad they exist, but have no particular desire to play either.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Nobody has mentioned TowerClimb yet but its the best new roguelite in town. Harder and cooler than Spelunky and with a optional secret ending so difficult to achieve that even the pro gamer kid from The Wizard wouldn't be able to beat it.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ristolaz posted:

Nethack is venerable and its wrong to swear at it.

I can respect it while still not liking it! I played a lot of Nethack and it wasn't until I realized how good DCSS is that I realized how bad Nethack is too. One is well-balanced and the design effort seems to go toward making it enjoyable to play, and the other is a bunch of secret exceptions and gimmicks where the design effort goes toward gotchas and in-jokes.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

towerclimb is such an amazing game

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

The Silver Snail posted:

Nobody has mentioned TowerClimb yet but its the best new roguelite in town. Harder and cooler than Spelunky and with a optional secret ending so difficult to achieve that even the pro gamer kid from The Wizard wouldn't be able to beat it.

He never sent me my steam key.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Unless you mean the mentally challenged kid, the kid with the power glove grew up to be a pedophile and I believe is in jail for molestation, so he wouldnt be able to beat it anyway.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

To this day I wonder if DX is just being crazy and drunk or referencing that fact when he made the drunk vlog of him wearing a Power Glove and saying he's the nintendo master and "[brandishing the glove] And this is the glove... The glove that you touch little kids with..." After listing off some of the powers and tools of the nintendo master.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Squeezy Farm posted:

He never sent me my steam key.

you should email them again

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Unless you mean the mentally challenged kid, the kid with the power glove grew up to be a pedophile and I believe is in jail for molestation, so he wouldnt be able to beat it anyway.
that's so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiber
Nov 18, 2012

The Silver Snail posted:

Whoa this is new to me, I loved Spelunky. I'm not crazy about the PC's sprite from looking at screens but that hardly matters I guess. Definitely getting this.

• Locked thread