Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I love how at the end of credits, during all the legal notices there's a notice: This film does not contain any depiction of the Godhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just watched this again last night and I found it even funnier than the first time. I love how they really nailed the 50s/60s style of comedy. The bit with the $100K briefcase sinking and the Communists looking anguished was like something out of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Only problem I have is deciding which scene is the funniest in the film: the religious consultants or "No Dames"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I saw "Hugo" recently, and it struck me that there's a lot of parallels going on between the two films.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Egbert Souse posted:

Just watched this again last night and I found it even funnier than the first time. I love how they really nailed the 50s/60s style of comedy. The bit with the $100K briefcase sinking and the Communists looking anguished was like something out of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Only problem I have is deciding which scene is the funniest in the film: the religious consultants or "No Dames"

As someone who's been digging into theology lately, I'd definitely go with the religious consultants.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I don't know why I kept watching this, but I kept coming back to it. It didn't really click at first. I gave it a second chance because I really wasn't fully invested in watching a movie the first time around, and the second time around I started to notice some jokes and gags i found funny that's played pretty straight, and some "indulgent" stuff I found offputting that clicks with later watching. I think the main issue is the more I keyed into the era- the social issues hinted out, the old studio system, the more I got into it. Without it, it's kind of a bust. it's taken me a lot of re-watching to clue into a lot of stuff, and reading about the history of hollywood at the time, between viewings. I've watched it about ten times, and I'm not sure Hail, Caesar! actually deserves that much of my time, but I've none the less watched it that much and I enjoy myself when I notice something new in it. It has a lot of little things, and that's always fun to watch for and pick up on.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

Egbert Souse posted:

The "would that it were so simple" bit gets my vote.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I watched this with a friend who could appreciate the details of the time period of the film and we both found the movie to be goddamn hilarious. The endlessly arguing commie plotters reflected against the background of McCarthyism, the tapdancing lead having a revolutionary crossing the Delaware-moment on his way out of the country, the works. This is one of my favorite films in recent memory. Clooney and the young cowboy were both brilliant, can't wait to see more. I didn't know what to expect going in, but was laughing my rear end off in the theater. The film is just so good when you get the humor and the references to actual events and movie genres of the time. If you don't have some love for this gem, you have no heart you monster. The squinting at Jesus, oh my god that scene had me in tears. :hist101: :worship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

*DIVINE PRESENCE TO BE SHOT*

• Locked thread