Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
it is a fancy shiny one like this:

and it has a built in chicken that takes videos like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUx3p1AJmXA

i thought you'd appreciate it, yobbers

here are a couple of photos it took too (click for big)

does anyone else have a flying camera chicken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

I don't need one since I have a regular camera and I'm 100ft tall

Android Blues

i prefer more of a mild hum or buzz

(really though that video is pretty gorgeous stuff! i especially love the shots of the horizon on the ocean as the drone elevates...)

GEExCEE

That's a sick soundtrack

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
really cool video, kept looking for sharks around those surfers.

just wondering how powerful the speakers are on the drone and if it ever bothers anyone that it s blaring that music everywhere it flies?

Doghouse

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Noice. Noice.

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
You should put a dollar on the drone, fly it to the nearest convenience store and buy some chips with it.

----------------

Piso Mojado

drilldo squirt posted:

You should put a dollar on the drone, fly it to the nearest convenience store and buy some chips with it.

lol do this

Scaly Haylie

i'm sorry but what the gently caress is a built-in chicken

Shaquin

Lizard Wizard posted:

Uhh who do you think is flyin the drone jeez lol

joke_explainer

Lizard Wizard posted:

chickens are nature's steadicam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UytSNlHw8J8

Laurenz

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
I assume this costs a fortune

joke_explainer

Laurenz posted:

the one pictured costs about 1300 bucks if that's the phantom 3 pro. it's a really nice drone though, includes a 4k camera. the cheapest one they make is 500 I think? but they're really nice.

drilldo squirt

Can you see what the drone sees while flying or do you have to download the video afterwards.

----------------

Laurenz

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

joke_explainer posted:

the one pictured costs about 1300 bucks if that's the phantom 3 pro. it's a really nice drone though, includes a 4k camera. the cheapest one they make is 500 I think? but they're really nice.

Wow, that's a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.

King of Bees
Hi op. I had a fly away with one of those bad boys and it was last seen blazing over the Pacific. It was one of the first models and it was during training at work. Fortunately I didn't have the camera attached so the loss was a bit less. However, it was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen in my life to watch that sucker just zoom hundreds of feet into the sky in two or three seconds and then disappear. It was a fun wait as all RTH systems failed and then walking miles around the site to see if it just happened to crash somewhere. God knows why it happened. It worked fine for weeks before that. That's my fly away story.

Piso Mojado

could you rig it up to carry a payload of narcotics and fly it across federal borders? just curious.

joke_explainer

drilldo squirt posted:

Can you see what the drone sees while flying or do you have to download the video afterwards.

drilldo squirt

That is cool.

----------------

GEExCEE

drilldo squirt posted:

how do you think america kills da Terroristz?

drilldo squirt

GEExCEE posted:

how do you think america kills da Terroristz?

American ingenuity and know how.

----------------

literally a fish

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
hello yobbers i am sorry for not replying sooner I was driving home (550 miles) all day

Android Blues posted:

i prefer more of a mild hum or buzz

(really though that video is pretty gorgeous stuff! i especially love the shots of the horizon on the ocean as the drone elevates...)

I have more of those! When I am less 3/4 dead from driving 550 miles almost non stop I will make a better video or two

Luvcow posted:

really cool video, kept looking for sharks around those surfers.

just wondering how powerful the speakers are on the drone and if it ever bothers anyone that it s blaring that music everywhere it flies?

thanks! yeah so did I, actually at one point a big helicopter came past doing shark-spotting, unfortunately I was in photographs mode at the time and so didn't get any video, which would have been mint, but oh well.
god i wish it had a PA that would be dope. Once it's up around 200 feet you can't really hear it at all which is nice.

drilldo squirt posted:

oh god this is so tempting but it would be a $4000 fine for doing this sadly, no fun times are allowed, dang government

Lizard Wizard posted:

joke explainer got this one. In fact joke explainer answered most of the questions for me so a round of applause for joke explainer.

Yes it's a Phantom 3 Pro and it has a live video downlink to whatever phone or tablet you plug into the remote (remote has a USB host port)
It also records in higher definition (whatever you set it to, i use 1080p48 but it goes up to 4k30 on the Pro) to an onboard SD card

It doesn't have a microphone though which is mildly annoying but understandable since i mean really that audio is almost entirely useless

King of Bees posted:

Hi op. I had a fly away with one of those bad boys and it was last seen blazing over the Pacific. It was one of the first models and it was during training at work. Fortunately I didn't have the camera attached so the loss was a bit less. However, it was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen in my life to watch that sucker just zoom hundreds of feet into the sky in two or three seconds and then disappear. It was a fun wait as all RTH systems failed and then walking miles around the site to see if it just happened to crash somewhere. God knows why it happened. It worked fine for weeks before that. That's my fly away story.

I had a tiny little cheapie one nearly lose its poo poo and fly away but fortunately the failsafes worked and it just plonked into the dirt, which was good. Broke the frame and blades though... The phantoms have really come very far since the first generation, the latest units are all integrated and very slick/smooth/stable, I am super impressed. It never once hiccuped even a little bit (though it did get upset at me for covering the GPS antenna with my hand when I picked it up at the end, going from green status to yellow status). Flyaways are weird but they don't seem to happen anymore with the good hardware.

Piso Mojado posted:

could you rig it up to carry a payload of narcotics and fly it across federal borders? just curious.

i mean yeah probably, it has a radio range of around 3 miles line of sight, it'll do about 25 miles per hour top speed and fly for around 15-20 minutes so you could fly it to almost max range and back again no problem, it will easily fly at around 1000 feet altitude or more. it's illegal to fly it above 400 feet but if you're sending drugs across the border i guess you probably don't care. I wonder how well they show up on radar?

You can actually program missions that will take it out of radio range, too, but I don't recommend that because it is terrifying to sit there staring at the screen waiting for it to come back into range and

It can't carry very much though. They make bigger ones that can carry multiple kilograms but this one would probably only carry a couple hundred grams of extra weight at most. You'd be better off with a custom built one meant for delivering things with, say, a cellular radio connection so you can send it longer distances and/or at higher altitudes

people have used them to sneak things into and out of prisons which is kind of neat, same general idea but over a shorter distance

literally a fish

oh also

Laurenz posted:

they are currently having a sale on the Phantom 3s because chinese new year, so the Advanced is only $800US, which is not bad - http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-advanced

the advanced is the same as the Pro except it only does 2.7K video (who cares, 1080p is enough for me) and it has a slower battery charger.

I recommend buying an extra battery or two, it's nice to just be able to swap them out instead of waiting an hour for recharging between flights. Don't buy the bundle with their dumb hard case though because it's stupidly expensive, there's nice backpack-y carrying cases on ebay for $30 or so.

if you dont have the money right now the good news is DJI seem to always be looking for excuses to have a sale.

DeepQantas

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

King of Bees posted:

it did return to home :angel:

ScrubLeague

That's a pretty sick drone you got there OP, please don't kill any innocent people who look like terrorists with it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

On one hand, I want a drone. On the other hand, i'm not site how I would handle the crushing responsibility of constantly having to bomb Muslim weddings

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
Smoke tires erry day

literally a fish

ScrubLeague posted:

That's a pretty sick drone you got there OP, please don't kill any innocent people who look like terrorists with it.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

On one hand, I want a drone. On the other hand, i'm not site how I would handle the crushing responsibility of constantly having to bomb Muslim weddings

I got a special form from the government that says I don't have to do any murder, it's great

mister magpie posted:

Smoke tires erry day

as my title/avatar may give away my usual haunt is Automotive Insanity and so i mostly use my channel for car things

mags

I love cars and I am on a 24 Hours of LeMons team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags

But I don't wanna derail. Nice drone duder

• Locked thread