Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
I pulled a cookie tray of those easy to make fries out of the oven. I was trying to get the off the pan with a spatula when I noticed a few of them were sticking, so I grab the pan the get more leverage on the fries, with my bare hand. I've also put plastic plates into the oven to keep food warm, those melted. I was pretty drunk for both of these though.

In high school I was helping move our classroom from the 3rd floor to the first by helping to carry a file cabinet down. We decided to set it down halfway to take a break for a minute and I set it down right on my hand, splitting it open at the thumb. By the time we got the OR it had healed enough that it only needed a splint and some bandages, it would have needed stitches if it didn't take me five hours to be seen.

I've broken or seriously messed up my nose (tree), head (7-ton armor siding falling on my head while installing), finger (playing catch with football), and foot (had a board of melamine fall on it at work). I had insurance the entire time but can't be bothered to see the doctor.

Uhh, I hope that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I don't know who did it, but in a cooking class in high school we had those flat top heating element stoves. Somebody left one on (and before anybody says anything, it wasn't my stove, mine was across the room) and set some plastic storage bin on it, not knowing it was on.

We spent the next 10 minutes trying to figure out the source of a burnt plasticy smell, when I looked at the plastic bin, looked at the stove, saw the 'hot element' light was on, looked back at the plastic bin, and shouted to the teacher "I found it!"

It was at the end of the 2nd semester so I was moving onto a new class, but I'm told they had to replace the entire stove because the plastic had just completely attached itsself to the heating element. I don't trust flat-top element stoves anymore.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Im the op

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm an EMT, so I have seen the aftermath of a lot of dumb poo poo.

The one that comes to mind is some dumbass was drunk and went climbing up a tree in his backyard. Now, it was dark, so he couldn't SEE the river he wanted to jump into, but he knew it was there!

He learned to look before he lept with the help of a rock right to the sternum. Broke it right in half. :gonk:

Was it the rock or the sternum that broke right in half?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm not sure if this goes here or Stupid poo poo You've Heard, but one time when I was having a panic attack and called my parents for advice on what to do, they said "Hey, just knock back a few beers and lay down, that'll take the edge off. Don't worry about it."

Yes, great, thanks for encouraging alcoholism to deal with anxiety. :thumbsup:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I'm not sure if this goes here or Stupid poo poo You've Heard, but one time when I was having a panic attack and called my parents for advice on what to do, they said "Hey, just knock back a few beers and lay down, that'll take the edge off. Don't worry about it."

E: People are assholes when it comes to mental health.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Feb 27, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A few days ago I was helped a friend wrap the exhaust manifold in his car. After going for a drive, I decided that the best way to test how effective the wrap was, was by laying my hand across the manifold right by the exhaust flange. The wrap is good for temps up to ~1500f iirc and as it turns out is extremely effective. Instead of burning most of the skin off the palm of my hand, I just hand to run it under cool water for a few minutes. As an added bonus, during reinstallation of said manifold, I decided that I was too tired to get out from under the car to get a pair of safety goggles. A piece of metal became attached to my eyelash and fell into my eye later that night as I laid down to sleep. This required a trip to the eye doctor the next day to remove said piece of metal.

This same friend also scooped out a dime sized chunk of the skin, fat and muscle on the top of his right pinky finger while helping me strip ballasts out of some old lighting at a dump so we could throw it all away. He didn't injures himself with the serrated knife he was using to saw through the wires (I don't remember why he was doing this, only that it was kinda working), but on the actual light fixture we were removing the ballast from when the knife slipped off the wire. The ER triage nurse was not impressed when I went digging around in the bed of my truck, found the chunk of my friend's finger, showed it to her and asked her if they could do anything with it.

Other fun fuckups involving said friend have also included:
Dropping a car on his foot while changing a tire
Him handing me a hot soldering iron which I tried to grab by the hot pointy end
Him picking up nuts/bolts that I've heated with a propane torch to break free
Trying to do jump shots while playing pool completely shitfaced that resulted in repeated nut shots and a hole in the clear vinyl screen of my porch. I now stand with the cue in front of my crotch out of habit while playing pool.
A drunken dart game between us that wound up with another person getting a dart stuck in their rear end cheek
Him flying off the front of my truck after I slammed on the brakes doing ~25-30mph down a dirt road due to reasons best left unexplained
And many more that I can't think of.

Large amounts of alcohol and the indestructability of youth account for alot of the stupid poo poo we did/do, but a good portion is also due to us creating a catagory 5 clusterfuck when attempting to do anything slightly more complex than blinking in each other's presence.

Elmnt80 has a new favorite as of 10:04 on Feb 27, 2016

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

coronatae posted:

We do our maxipreps with an overnight CsCl spin, so he was pulling an EtBr-saturated DNA band out of a heat-sealed tube with a needle. The needle slipped! v:saddowns:v

I have no idea what any of this means, but if I'm correct in thinking your boss has accidentally injected himself with fruitfly DNA, you should probably be on the lookout for sings of supervillainy.

So when I was about 11 I lived in a war zone. Every now and then the sirens would sound and we'd spend nights sleeping in the building hallway because our apartment was on the side of the building the artillery shells were flying from. One morning after such a night two of my friend come and get me to go out and see something. They proceed to take me to a small clearing behind the kindergarten in our neighbourhood and show me a hole, about 70 cm in diameter, burrowed into the ground at an angle. There is something inside the hole, but we can't figure out what. It appears metal. So one of my friends pokes it with a stick. While he's poking, I piece together what it is - a fresh, unexploded artillery shell. I freak out and tell them we are idiots and need to leave now. My friends disagree and one of them continues poking, which sends me into a rage and I tell them something like "Nice knowing you idiots" and leave. In the end, it didn't go off. Happy times.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Picked up a ceramic evaporation dish to easier scoop out the contents. As in, just after it's been over a Bunsen burner.

As a kid, throwing a frisbee during a jump at the top of a flight of stairs. Landed on my arm. A year, maybe two later, got too excited running up stairs, tripped and landed with my forehead. I loving hate stairs now. :saddowns:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
12 year old me was playing around with a dropper popper (pic below), that I got for my 6th birthday.

12 year old me, being the genius I was, decided to put the dropper popper over my eye when primed.

Extreme ocular pain soon resulted.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Sadly enough I have self-medicated with alcohol during bad panic attacks cause it works similar to xanax (which I was either out of or didn't have on me)when it xomes to depressing the brain . Makes it super obvious how people with crazy amounts of anxiety can become alcoholics easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Elmnt80 posted:

A few days ago I was helped a friend wrap the exhaust manifold in his car. After going for a drive, I decided that the best way to test how effective the wrap was, was by laying my hand across the manifold right by the exhaust flange. The wrap is good for temps up to ~1500f iirc and as it turns out is extremely effective. Instead of burning most of the skin off the palm of my hand, I just hand to run it under cool water for a few minutes. As an added bonus, during reinstallation of said manifold, I decided that I was too tired to get out from under the car to get a pair of safety goggles. A piece of metal became attached to my eyelash and fell into my eye later that night as I laid down to sleep. This required a trip to the eye doctor the next day to remove said piece of metal.

This same friend also scooped out a dime sized chunk of the skin, fat and muscle on the top of his right pinky finger while helping me strip ballasts out of some old lighting at a dump so we could throw it all away. He didn't injures himself with the serrated knife he was using to saw through the wires (I don't remember why he was doing this, only that it was kinda working), but on the actual light fixture we were removing the ballast from when the knife slipped off the wire. The ER triage nurse was not impressed when I went digging around in the bed of my truck, found the chunk of my friend's finger, showed it to her and asked her if they could do anything with it.

Other fun fuckups involving said friend have also included:
Dropping a car on his foot while changing a tire
Him handing me a hot soldering iron which I tried to grab by the hot pointy end
Him picking up nuts/bolts that I've heated with a propane torch to break free
Trying to do jump shots while playing pool completely shitfaced that resulted in repeated nut shots and a hole in the clear vinyl screen of my porch. I now stand with the cue in front of my crotch out of habit while playing pool.
A drunken dart game between us that wound up with another person getting a dart stuck in their rear end cheek
Him flying off the front of my truck after I slammed on the brakes doing ~25-30mph down a dirt road due to reasons best left unexplained
And many more that I can't think of.

Large amounts of alcohol and the indestructability of youth account for alot of the stupid poo poo we did/do, but a good portion is also due to us creating a catagory 5 clusterfuck when attempting to do anything slightly more complex than blinking in each other's presence.

You and your friend are the stupidest and luckiest motherfuckers I've ever heard of.

• Locked thread