Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Some of you old time LF types may remember noted forums poster wheez the roux, who was a pretty great comrade-poster, supporter of the SPLC and palestinian refugees, outrageously good cook, and generally Awesome Dude

he died, suddenly & unexpectedly, last year (obit):

quote:

On May 23, 2015 a beautiful, brilliant, funny and kind young man was sitting on his couch in Pullman, Washington excitedly messaging his sister about plans to celebrate a family event. Then his heart stopped beating. He was 26 years old.

Aric Matthew Kleppin, who was born on August 30, 1988 in Anchorage, Alaska and graduated from South High School, would have loved this opportunity to write something ridiculous about himself in the newspaper, and likely would have preferred we use a picture of him in his beloved Halloween horse mask. Instead, his family would like to introduce him to those who did not know him.

Aric was an avid student of history and linguistics; he was an enthusiastic cook with a kitchen full of unusual cooking implements; he was a talented trombone player with a passion for jazz and love of Japanese pop music; he was an outspoken activist for human rights, volunteering with Project Hope in Nablus, Palestine; he was a caring son who loved going to football and baseball games with his dad as well as road trips with his mom; he was a proud Washington State University graduate like his older sister; he was a world traveler who gleefully celebrated Spain's World Cup victory while in Barcelona and did not go into the details about how exactly he got that photo from the top of the pyramid of Giza; he was a Spanish speaker who loved teaching at Concordia Language Camp in Bemidji, Minnesota; he was a passionate debater who never conceded an argument no matter how absolutely wrong he might have been.

Our awesome son, brother, and friend had unbounded intellectual curiosity and has left behind passionate and prolific recommendations of novels, articles, films, albums, documentaries, causes and recipes which will take us a lifetime to catch up with.

Aric is loved, missed, and survived by his family including his parents Daryl and Donna, older sisters Desa and Lyndsey, brother-in-law Cory Duskin, niece and nephew Alaina and Parker Duskin, grandfather Ronald Steichen as well as numerous, aunts, uncles, cousins, teachers, students and friends.

A celebration featuring his favorite food, beverages and music will be held at home in Anchorage on August 29th. Further details will be announced closer to that date. Memorial contributions in Arics honor are suggested to the Southern Poverty Law Center or Doctors Without Borders. Kimball Funeral Home & Crematory of Pullman has been entrusted with cremation arrangements.

anyway: his sister (mentioned in the obit) ended up finding the forums, somehow, and gathered a lot of his recipes and posts together from SA, and via a memorial website for him. she also put together a cookbook of his recipes, free online, and also available in print (i just got mine)

TFF, where wheez posted often about football, ended up raising about $7k for SPLC in his memory, and I think (not sure) the cookbook has some proceeds go there as well.

anyway, I realized when I got this that I wasn't sure if the news of his death had ever been posted to D&D/YCS, so I decided to post it here, since I think this is where wheez would be posting a lot if he were still around to bash his drunk greasy fingers on a keyboard.

RIP wheez, you were the rarest thing of all: A Good Poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
Ah geez, that sucks. I do remember him from the LF days, do we have any idea what specifically happened?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Ah geez, that sucks. I do remember him from the LF days, do we have any idea what specifically happened?

Some kind of undiagnosed heart condition, iirc. He literally Just Died.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
I read LF fairly religiously for the first year or so of it's existence, sort of around the peak ron paul time i think but I don't remember this guy, did he have any other forum names? or any 'famous' threads?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Holy poo poo, I had been his facebook friend going on like seven years. He must have unfriended me around when he died, because I remember several of his most recent posts. I had thought about him just last week and was wondering what was up. I knew he taught at a camp in Minnesota for awhile.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

SKELETONS posted:

I read LF fairly religiously for the first year or so of it's existence, sort of around the peak ron paul time i think but I don't remember this guy, did he have any other forum names? or any 'famous' threads?

He was TFF's resident Wazzu guy

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

My condolences, an lf veteran. :(

That cookbook looks awesome

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Aww man :(

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Petey posted:

its the lf way to die RIP rory too

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've known he passed for a while now cuz he was a TFF poster, but this cookbook is fuckin' awesome and I hope if I die young that someone goes an makes a book about me. I'll make some mac and/or fried chicken in his honor soon enough.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

i dont know who wheez was but this thread made me think of rory and i talked to him like two times and once he did a bill clinton impression with a pillow RIP even if it wasn't a very good impression

~*~**~angel~**~*~

Sai has issued a correction as of 03:24 on Feb 12, 2016

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

SKELETONS posted:

yeah, he had another name too, I can't remember what it was off the top of my head but it was in his cookbook which I am too tucked-in to consult atm

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sai posted:

i dont know who wheez was but this thread made me think of rory and i talked to him like two times and once he did a bill clinton impression with a pillow RIP even if it wasn't a very good impression

~*~**~angel~**~*~

he'd always PM me asking for acting advice for someone living in minneapolis and i'd just be like "uh...move to chicago?"

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
RIP wheez, he Coug'd it

(I still miss him :smith:)

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

rip to the good posters who died, you passed on and left hundreds of bad dummies in your wake

Notable Dom X
Apr 3, 2011

by exmarx
Buglord
Wheez owned

Homework Explainer posted:

rip to the good posters who died, you passed on and left hundreds of bad dummies in your wake

I am one of them

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

i cant find the its britney bitch vid with rory smacking pillows in pj's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyL7pSBsCGM

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

aric got macklemore to shoot one of his videos partly in the bathroom of his apartment in seattle

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

rip guy whose name i vaguely remember

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
That guy's sister is extremely cool for putting all that together.

RIP comrade.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
RIP rory and the Fred Durst Society for the Humanities and Arts

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bOjc70f4p8

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

Sai posted:

i cant find the its britney bitch vid with rory smacking pillows in pj's

It's set to private and now will remain that way for eternity because the song is copyrighted or w/e

Catlegs
Dec 23, 2005
hot damn
gently caress.

i was friends with aric through middle and high school. we didn't go to the same school but we ran in the same circles and talked often at debate meets etc. all my memories of him are good ones (yes, even the time he goatse'd my facebook when i was being an idiot e/n hellfucker). he was sharp as gently caress in wit and in intellect, energetic and engaging, always open and happy to talk and teach and learn. he had the patience to be a good friend even to the person i was then and the sense to know when to say 'hey, dumbass, quit taking poo poo so seriously and loving chill', both things i wish i had appreciated then as much as i do almost a decade later.

i'm glad you were a part of my life, even if only for a few years. thanks for being loving awesome and turning me onto myriad things i'd've never found on my own. rest in peace.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

It's set to private and now will remain that way for eternity because the song is copyrighted or w/e
can you reupload it 2 somewhere else??? i miss rory

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
cool some LF guy died, mabye more of them will follow

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
the vanguard of the revolution got a little smaller, RIP fellow AK goon (even if you went to my high school's rival)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

-Troika- posted:

good news: death is certain

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I remember him. That's incredibly tragic - thanks for posting, Petey.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

-Troika- posted:

you don't even have a cookbook :frogout:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Really sorry to hear that. I always liked his posting. Whoever wrote his obit, it's really nice, and I imagine he would have liked it.

Fidel Castronaut posted:

you don't even have a cookbook :frogout:

I found a cookbook at a book sale for $1 that was written by, I poo poo you not, Vincent cocking Price.

e: \/\/\/i'll be picking that one up next time i see it!\/\/\/

Majorian has issued a correction as of 09:13 on Apr 6, 2016

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
This is the most LF cookbook of all time:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a macklemore music video was partially shot in his bathroom

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
lf was really getting into its swing about this time eight years ago wasnt it

wrap it up obamailures

RIP

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
gently caress, this makes me sad :smith:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Hubbert posted:

good news: death is certain

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

quote:

he was a passionate debater who never conceded an argument no matter how absolutely wrong he might have been

Godspeed goon sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Petey posted:

I have a friend that started having heart problems out of nowhere. After a million bullshit-ey doctors one of them figured out it was carditis due to Lyme disease. If youre young, go outside a lot, and get heart problems out of nowhere, get checked for that. :(

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2644885

• Locked thread