Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hey, what's your favorite anime?
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
View Results

• Locked thread
Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zore posted:

None of those games require yoy to kill off a majority of the cast to access that stuff though?

Yeah, but the problem is that you don't get content because you didn't play a certain, real dumb way. And you won't get all the kid chapters without playing a certain way, which is kind of dumb but not a huge issue. Idk, I just think none of the extra chapters in FE11 (or 13/14) look good enough that it's a super detrimental choice to the overall experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't like SD at all but the gaidens literally dont factor into that in any way

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
well i finally started playing again in earnest and while i'm not being challenged at all on normal i can at least progress without getting incredibly mad about each and every level up

[finishes chapter 13]

ah, i see. i have located my waifu. thank you intelligent systems

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
What fascinates me is that Shadow Dragon was released the same year as another Intelligent Systems game; Advance Wars Days of Ruin yet DoR art style is much better.

Why didn't they just use that for SD?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Because the artist who drew DoR was busy drawing DoR.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, but the problem is that you don't get content because you didn't play a certain, real dumb way. And you won't get all the kid chapters without playing a certain way, which is kind of dumb but not a huge issue. Idk, I just think none of the extra chapters in FE11 (or 13/14) look good enough that it's a super detrimental choice to the overall experience.

That's an incredibly stupid comparison. Awakening and Fates lock chapters behind you using the Support mechanic, which the games have always encouraged (because it's the only way to get characterization on most units, because it gives useful stat bonuses, because it changes endings, because this is a VN with SRPG components at this point), Shadow Dragon locks chapters behind you playing like poo poo and killing your own units, which has always been the exact wrong thing to do and something the games should never encourage.

It's so bad that the next game basically tells you outright that you're bad if your units die, several times, and it retcons that poo poo out so everyone survived and still got all the gaidens, somehow.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The shadow dragon gaidens forced you to either do unfun things or miss out on fun things. They're by far the shittiest piece of design in the series.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's an incredibly stupid comparison. Awakening and Fates lock chapters behind you using the Support mechanic, which the games have always encouraged (because it's the only way to get characterization on most units, because it gives useful stat bonuses, because it changes endings, because this is a VN with SRPG components at this point), Shadow Dragon locks chapters behind you playing like poo poo and killing your own units, which has always been the exact wrong thing to do and something the games should never encourage.

It's so bad that the next game basically tells you outright that you're bad if your units die, several times, and it retcons that poo poo out so everyone survived and still got all the gaidens, somehow.

Yeah, but you can't get all of them without grinding or using units you'd flat-out have benched normally. Like, it's a real dumb pedantic argument but that's kind of my point regarding Shadow Dragon gaidens too; there's so much half-assed that the stupid unlock conditions aren't really the one thing ruining the game, just like Blazing Blade isn't really any less of a game for having esoteric requirements for some of its.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, but you can't get all of them without grinding or using units you'd flat-out have benched normally. Like, it's a real dumb pedantic argument but that's kind of my point regarding Shadow Dragon gaidens too; there's so much half-assed that the stupid unlock conditions aren't really the one thing ruining the game, just like Blazing Blade isn't really any less of a game for having esoteric requirements for some of its.

FE7 was probably the ideal way to do gaidens imo, except for the one glaring exception where you need to have raised Nils to level 7 in Lyn mode.

The one where you actually have to save the enemies from Pent so you can get enough XP is really funny.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

fe7 had good gaiden conditions but I think I prefer the nils thing to having to gamble on killing kishuna in 19x

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only changes I'd make to FE7 would be to vastly reduce Kishuna's evasion, eliminate the stupid Nils level thing, and make Karla always show up if you deploy Bartre regardless of his level.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

karla should show up at the first arena you go to with bartre regardless of which one it is, and come in at an appropriate level for the chapter you recruit her in

don't give me a useless character right before the end that doesn't even give me something unique. at least renault had fortify

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
On the Subject of gimmick runs I just finished My "Cavalry Emblem" run on Conquest that I do on Every FE game where it's possible. It's fun seeing how different levels become super easy or super hard when your whole army is on Horseback. Hinoka's final level was super easy with a bunch of Bow Knights that could cross the map in a turn. Takumi's Wall of Pain became even harder since I couldn't ferry people across the gorge and had to take the long way round under constant Ballista fire while having a lack of Knights to breach the stairs.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I hosed up and promoted mozu at level 10 because I thought villagers worked the same way in fates as they did in awakening. Now I gotta bench her until more enemies start being promoted too :mad:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I finally finished Conquest after breaking and turning it down to Casual when I sent Camilla over to gently caress up the mage after clearing the map and beating the boss in Chapter 24 (with all the annoying flier reinforcements) and he got a critical counter, killing her instantly. I am shameful, but man those last few maps would have been rough to complete without losing anyone, Ryoma's especially. Maybe Normal Classic would have been a better adjustment than Hard Casual?

Not sure why the game took me months to beat, it was good. lol at the final boss being the angry archer rear end in a top hat

Dunno whether to play Birthright, Revelations or neither next. Idiotic as the story is I'm a sucker for resolution so I kind of want to play Revelations even if it sucks

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I hosed up and promoted mozu at level 10 because I thought villagers worked the same way in fates as they did in awakening. Now I gotta bench her until more enemies start being promoted too :mad:

Well actually you hosed up by not making her an Archer ASAP.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I remember the map with all the ballistas in shadow dragon being kind of exciting in a weird way. It's not great game design since it's unavoidable, but it was kind of memorable. Another cool map was the one where you got two trash units who you could send to the market on a peninsula while the rest of your army rushed up the map to kill the boss.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
I'm sure, like 100% sure, that this has been done to death in this thread or the megathread, but I've searched and searched and can't find anything. I even tried to look on youtube and came up with nothing aside from weird rants about localization or IGN review/playthroughs, so please forgive me for posting this here.

I'm totally, 100% new to Fire Emblem. I want to play this game, but am totally overwhelmed by Master Seals and Heart Seals and all that jazz. Could anyone point me towards a decent little primer on FE and how not to totally screw my party? I'm heading into chapter 10 on birthright and am having a pretty easy time of it (playing on normal/classic), but I'm terribly worried that I'm going to hit a point where I've made some decision that is going to totally bomb my run and I'll have to restart.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Master seals are how you progress from level 20 to 21, essentially. The level will display as "1" but you're in an upgraded class. Using them before 20 makes sense sometimes in other fire emblem games, but not this one. When a character hits 20, use a master seal--that's all there is to think about.

The other various types of seals sidegrade characters into different classes. Usually not a great idea because they'll only have E rank in the new class' weapons, but it's there.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

cheetah7071 posted:

Master seals are how you progress from level 20 to 21, essentially. The level will display as "1" but you're in an upgraded class. Using them before 20 makes sense sometimes in other fire emblem games, but not this one. When a character hits 20, use a master seal--that's all there is to think about.

The other various types of seals sidegrade characters into different classes. Usually not a great idea because they'll only have E rank in the new class' weapons, but it's there.

Well thank you very much. So basically 1) save the master seals for level 20 characters and 2) I shouldn't really mess with the other seals unless a character is relatively low level and I don't mind grinding them up a bit?

USMC_Karl fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 1, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

USMC_Karl posted:

Well thank you very much. So basically 1) safe the master seals for level 20 characters and 2) I shouldn't really mess with the other seals unless a character is relatively low level and I don't mind grinding them up a bit?

Something like that, yeah. The other main case is if the new class shares a weapon type.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

USMC_Karl posted:

Well thank you very much. So basically 1) save the master seals for level 20 characters and 2) I shouldn't really mess with the other seals unless a character is relatively low level and I don't mind grinding them up a bit?

Heart Seals can get you skills if nothing else.

If you're playing Birthright, Hinoka is just downright better as a Spear Fighter than her default class, and Azama is comically strong in literally any non-healer class.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

USMC_Karl posted:

Mozu really wants to be an archer. It's a good idea to use a Heart Seal on her for that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

USMC_Karl posted:

I'm sure, like 100% sure, that this has been done to death in this thread or the megathread, but I've searched and searched and can't find anything. I even tried to look on youtube and came up with nothing aside from weird rants about localization or IGN review/playthroughs, so please forgive me for posting this here.

I'm totally, 100% new to Fire Emblem. I want to play this game, but am totally overwhelmed by Master Seals and Heart Seals and all that jazz. Could anyone point me towards a decent little primer on FE and how not to totally screw my party? I'm heading into chapter 10 on birthright and am having a pretty easy time of it (playing on normal/classic), but I'm terribly worried that I'm going to hit a point where I've made some decision that is going to totally bomb my run and I'll have to restart.
if you're on birthright normal, you can't bomb your run. Really, it's impossible to bomb your run in general - the game gives you decent amounts of good prepromotes, not to mention the kids exist.

Also, don't be too locked to promoting at level 20. You shouldn't promote at level 10 always or anything, but if you're having trouble with a chapter and a few stats/a mount/whatever would help, feel free to promote at level 16 or whatever.

Also for heart seals, some people do heart seal into classes that share their weapon types, in which case a heart seal can be nice. And some people do have nice heart seal options - Mozu into Archer is less useful on birthright since you already have Takumi/Setsuna/Reina, but if you play conquest she's your only archer option besides Niles. And Azama gains a lot of stats from reclassing into apothecary, and you get him early enough that he can grind through E rank bows decently. Likewise, Subaki does okay as a Samurai. It's just something to mess with if you feel like it, basically - the only time it's a terrible option is if it's lategame and you're reclassing someone into a class they're obviously unsuited for/don't have the weapon ranks for.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
love yourself and quickly heart seal Azama to apothecary, the best class.

• Locked thread