Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

As prestigious annual awards continue to go to bigger and bigger books like The Luminaries, The Goldfinch, All the Light we Cannot See, etc., there are still novellas being quietly put onto the shelves. Michael Bible's debut novella Sophia hit the stands late last year and is weird and wonderful.

There seems to be this feeling that in order to be important, a book must be long and sprawling. But I'd like a thread that celebrates powerful literature that can fit into your back pocket, and I don't just mean for readers who still wear JNCO jeans.

What are your favorite novellas? One of mine is The Crying of Lot 49, a hugely popular work that many people recommend as a starting point for Thomas Pynchon. It's even forums-favorite Jonathan Franzen's preferred Pynchon.

Novellas also give short story writers like George Saunders and Alice Munro a place to write longer pieces without having to churn out the full length required to merit a standalone novel. They can write complex stories that are exactly the length they need to be.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Also, this shouldn't just be a recommendation thread for novellas. Do you have opinions on novellas? Never read them, think they just don't compare to bigger works? Think they are better because they contain only what is necessary?

And if you think novellas are too short to truly invest anyone in the characters, think back to school when you read Of Mice and Men.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
"The novel" is an extremely stupid concept and "novella" is, like, extended third hand stupidity

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
^fartdick

Novellas are cool. I like them just cause it's a good way to break up my reading schedule of massive-rear end books along with poetry collections. My favorites are The Old Man and the Sea by Ernesto and Train Dreams by Denis Johnson. Also Jesus' Son if you'd count that.

There is this quality to some novellas that I feel like the author is being indecisive, though. I get if a novella happens organically, like the author tells the story and it's perfectly in between novel and short story -length, but sometimes it sort of feels like they just extended a short story that doesn't have any business being that long and other times there feels like so much more story could be put in there (like the aforementioned Train Dreams).

The Crying of Lot 49 felt almost like a novel to me in terms of it's completeness. And it's pushing 175 pages, I think?

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

The Crying of Lot 49 felt almost like a novel to me in terms of it's completeness. And it's pushing 175 pages, I think?
Well sure but novella is still decent term.
"Pynchon had written that he was in the middle of writing a "potboiler". [Crying Lot of 49] When the book grew to 155 pages, he called it, "a short story, but with gland trouble", and hoped that [Candida] Donadio could "unload it on some poor sucker.""

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I was introduced to Novella by a friend who gave it to me on whole wheat toast and it was delicious. I cannot imagine going back to Peanut Butter again.

Anyways recent Nobel laureate Patrick Modiana has essentially his entire output in Novella form and its all worth reading

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016
It's my preferred format for narrative prose. I'm not a fan of big, Dickensian books where I need a flow-chart to keep all the characters and their connections straight. My favourites are usually of an existentialist bent. An Offering for the Dead is the best I've ever read. The most recent one I read was Monsieur by Jean-Philippe Toussaint which was very good. Toussaint is the Belgian Nicholson Baker.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was introduced to Novella by a friend who gave it to me on whole wheat toast and it was delicious. I cannot imagine going back to Peanut Butter again.

Anyways recent Nobel laureate Patrick Modiana has essentially his entire output in Novella form and its all worth reading

I read a story in Tin House by this guy and it was fascinating. I'll check out one of his books from the library

iccyelf posted:

My favourites are usually of an existentialist bent.

Do you like Camus? The Stranger is only 120 or so pages

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

There is this quality to some novellas that I feel like the author is being indecisive, though. I get if a novella happens organically, like the author tells the story and it's perfectly in between novel and short story -length, but sometimes it sort of feels like they just extended a short story that doesn't have any business being that long and other times there feels like so much more story could be put in there (like the aforementioned Train Dreams).

I, as a lapsed writer of fiction, can tell you that there is enormous pressure on writers NOT to write novellas. There is no less salable length of fiction one could write. Every writers' forum on the internet has people posting about how their book is too short and that no agent would ever even look at it and asking for help to expand it. So I don't think anyone would write a novella UNorganically. There is no reason to force a story to become one and therefore make it almost unpublishable by magazines and publishing houses. Essentially, writing a novella is a brave act. It is to deliberately ignore all of the financial constraints put upon writing and instead produce this thing that almost no one will read or even want to read.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 12, 2016

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Writing gets worse the longer it gets so novellas are maybe the second worst form of writing. That said, Cesar Aira is very good and doesn't really write anything longer than 150 pages.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Everyone has to read Welcome to Orphancorp

I'm not loving around, it's like five bucks, read it now. It's about 15-20000 words. Easy

Look here's a link

http://www.amazon.com.au/WELCOME-OR...e+to+Orphancorp

Buy it

Read it

Love it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Did you write that book?

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016

blue squares posted:

Do you like Camus? The Stranger is only 120 or so pages.

Yeah but I haven't read Camus since high-school.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

blue squares posted:

Did you write that book?

No. I've read it though and can attest to its goodness.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

blue squares posted:

I, as a lapsed writer of fiction, can tell you that there is enormous pressure on writers NOT to write novellas. There is no less salable length of fiction one could write. Every writers' forum on the internet has people posting about how their book is too short and that no agent would ever even look at it and asking for help to expand it. So I don't think anyone would write a novella UNorganically. There is no reason to force a story to become one and therefore make it almost unpublishable by magazines and publishing houses. Essentially, writing a novella is a brave act. It is to deliberately ignore all of the financial constraints put upon writing and instead produce this thing that almost no one will read or even want to read.
Yeah, but I figure an established writer (Hemingway, Alice Munro) has enough pull to get whatever they write published.

Also I've tried to write fiction longer than a short story and it is tough as gently caress. My longest work is probably novella territory and my teachers pointed out the same unpublishable-length thing to me :/

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Add some scifi elements (one magical realistc scene is enough), publish in sf magazine and sail to Hugo nomination in uncontested novella category, become hugo nominated author

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

mallamp posted:

Add some scifi elements (one magical realistc scene is enough), publish in sf magazine and sail to Hugo nomination in uncontested novella category, become hugo nominated author
Nah, these days you also need to be white/right-wing/Christian/writing something that has no social subtext whatsoever unless it's one of the already specified.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Let's not turn this thread into a discussion of the science fiction community. Please keep on topic

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

the_homemaster posted:

Everyone has to read Welcome to Orphancorp

I'm not loving around, it's like five bucks, read it now. It's about 15-20000 words. Easy

Look here's a link

http://www.amazon.com.au/WELCOME-OR...e+to+Orphancorp

Buy it

Read it

Love it

This is technically speculative fiction.

China Mievilles new ones is a novella.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

blue squares posted:

I think this is really only the case in the US (and probably UK). In a lot of countries there's a strong element of government support for 'serious literature', which, incidentally, is one of the reasons why you see many more <200 page books coming out of these countries - even if the book doesn't sell, the publisher won't be in a hole because of that.

also, from the other thread, here's my favourite short novel(la)s of the last couple of years: Season of Migration to the North (Tayeb Salih), any Maqroll novella (Álvaro Mutis), The Successor (Ismail Kadare), The Tartar Steppe (Dino Buzzati), Doctor Glas (Hjalmar Söderberg) & Christie Malry's Own Double Entry (B.S. Johnson)

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 14, 2016

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I typically feel that much was left unsaid in the novellas that I've read that aren't already considered classics. One particularly egregious example in the horror genre, was Mira Grant's Rolling in the Deep. A book about killer mermaids...yeah, yeah. By glossing over the struggle and subsequent deaths of every character you've spent the vast majority of the until then fun to read novella in a matter of a few pages and ending the book, it ruins it for me. The book could have been say, 30 pages longer and would have been complete, the pace wouldn't have felt like slamming on the brakes in front of a brick wall.

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016

Talmonis posted:

I typically feel that much was left unsaid in the novellas that I've read that aren't already considered classics. One particularly egregious example in the horror genre, was Mira Grant's Rolling in the Deep. A book about killer mermaids...yeah, yeah. By glossing over the struggle and subsequent deaths of every character you've spent the vast majority of the until then fun to read novella in a matter of a few pages and ending the book, it ruins it for me. The book could have been say, 30 pages longer and would have been complete, the pace wouldn't have felt like slamming on the brakes in front of a brick wall.

You were surprised a novella about killer mermaids was bad? Hmm.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

iccyelf posted:

You were surprised a novella about killer mermaids was bad? Hmm.

No, I'm surprised it was entertaining to read for most of it, only to slam into a brick wall of rushed garbage at the end. I enjoy Mira Grant's full length books.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

good novellas: confusion of feelings by Stefan Zweig, Faust by Turgenev, The Clown by Heinrich Böll, the death of ivan illyich, Ensam (lonely or something like that) by august strindberg

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016

Talmonis posted:

No, I'm surprised it was entertaining to read for most of it, only to slam into a brick wall of rushed garbage at the end. I enjoy Mira Grant's full length books.

That's what I said. Badly written books will do that.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

There's also a big thing where people write novellas and then the publisher makes the font size as big as possible so as to market it as a novel. Celeste Ng's Everything I Never Told You is a great example. Going by wordcount, it doesn't qualify as a novel. But the font is big and they threw in 20 pages of author interview in the back to make it look thicker.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The place for novellas is in e-book publishing, they might not be great literature but a number of publishers put out download-only genre novellas and they do pretty well as those things go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Novellas are frequently a treat, in my opinion. I find that authors with a very dense, wordy style tend to work best in novella form, if not short story. Lovecraft's longer works definitely demonstrate this - he builds an enjoyable atmosphere, but his writing would be unbearable in novel length.

My personal favorite novellas are probably Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (also works a bit better in short form, though I love Nostromo), The Dead by James Joyce and My Work is Not Yet Done by Thomas Ligotti.

• Locked thread