Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
lolso many lurkers, gently caress you and gently caress you all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Akbar posted:

I think it's natural to have a bit of variation year-to-year. I don't think it's realistic to expect us to increase our standing every year, especially when we're still pretty drat far away from the leaders. There's the top tier of Dad's and Festivus and then the next tier down has us, network, UUU, lactation, foole, etc. What I was asking is was there another newish team that is running up on us? It seems like the others in our tier have been there for a long time. And I'm not sure what black magic is needed to actually rival Dad's and Festivus.

The gap closed significantly this year.

2015: 3,690 from 3rd to 2nd.
2016: 740 from 3rd to 2nd.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

At the same time though, there were most points available this contest than last, which makes me think that the questions were on average easier. It also seems like there were definitely less 75-350 points questions, which seems to be the kind that we usually gain points on.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Commemorative logo, rebalanced:

Deki posted:

Is there a way to get the shirt without the "trivial fursuit" part? I love the logo but would like to be able to wear it to work.

I'd love to do this, but the shirt shop I work through requires at least 12 shirts per order, and I'm not sure I'd get enough orders to fill this request! That said, there are PLENTY of online services around that'll do custom shirts, and there may even be a shop in your area that'll print one up for you. I am MORE than happy to share the logo file with anyone who'd like to print their own shirts. Would this work for you? :shobon:

Highlights video KICKS rear end, wa27! Thank you thank you for putting that together!!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Hey, I'm famous!

edit: I mean, hey, I got called out by a famous person!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Shirt ordered!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Turdsdown Tom posted:

watching that highlight video, it blows my mind how absolutely loving horrible some of these on-air folks are at pronouncing things. the "cee why young" award???? how do these people run a trivia contest yet are not able to pronounce some of the most critical words in a question?

They are students and learning.

Also they are young so they have no idea what baseball is, or Abba

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Man I had a show/knew a few people on my university's radio station and these guys are like, surprisingly way above-average when it comes to most students.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

rawillkill posted:

The gap closed significantly this year.

2015: 3,690 from 3rd to 2nd.
2016: 740 from 3rd to 2nd.

and it was 2.4k in 2014, 1.9k in 2013, and just 350 points in 2012. Which is all to say that there is variance. I think all we can conclude from your figures is that 2015 was a particularly loose contest and 2016 was a pretty tight one. There's no indication of a trend either way over the past 5 years.

And for those years, this is how behind the leader we ended:

2012: 3820
2013: 3195
2014: 5985
2015: 4625
2016: 2065

Now, I'm not actually sure how instructive raw points are in a trivia analysis given that the pool of total points changes year to year due to the scoring scheme (as Kloaked notes). There's probably some inferential value in the sense of how many big point questions we miss compared to the champs.

This is how we've done in terms of a proportion: our points/points of top team.

2012: 64.3%
2013: 70.1
2014: 72.4
2015: 79.9
2016: 86.7

Here, it looks like we're clearly doing better year to year but our standing overall changes a bit from 14th to 8th to 7th to 4th to 6th based on factors beyond our control (how other teams do). There's still no evidence to me that we're losing ground to other teams beyond year-to-year variance. In terms of our progress goals for next year, it should be to continue that trend and maybe even get north of 90%.

Akbar fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 26, 2016

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I just joined a slack thing for work and I highly advise against it.

IRC is better and is also part of the goon heritage.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Akbar posted:

and it was 2.4k in 2014, 1.9k in 2013, and just 350 points in 2012. Which is all to say that there is variance. I think all we can conclude from your figures is that 2015 was a particularly loose contest and 2016 was a pretty tight one. There's no indication of a trend either way over the past 5 years.

And for those years, this is how behind the leader we ended:

2012: 3820
2013: 3195
2014: 5985
2015: 4625
2016: 2065

Now, I'm not actually sure how instructive raw points are in a trivia analysis given that the pool of total points changes year to year due to the scoring scheme (as Kloaked notes). There's probably some inferential value in the sense of how many big point questions we miss compared to the champs.

This is how we've done in terms of a proportion: our points/points of top team.

2012: 64.3%
2013: 70.1
2014: 72.4
2015: 79.9
2016: 86.7

Here, it looks like we're clearly doing better year to year but our standing overall changes a bit from 14th to 8th to 7th to 4th to 6th based on factors beyond our control (how other teams do). There's still no evidence to me that we're losing ground to other teams beyond year-to-year variance. In terms of our progress goals for next year, it should be to continue that trend and maybe even get north of 90%.

All scores prior to 2014 are irrelevant because that's when the new scoring system was introduced

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Only two days left to order commemorative t-shirts!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Last day to order commemorative t-shirts! The print order will be submitted tomorrow morning, with t-shirts hopefully going out within the next couple of weeks.

If anyone wants the logo without "Trivial Fursuit" so they can do their own printing, I'll be happy to share it with you, just let me know.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

my cat is norris posted:

Last day to order commemorative t-shirts! The print order will be submitted tomorrow morning, with t-shirts hopefully going out within the next couple of weeks.

If anyone wants the logo without "Trivial Fursuit" so they can do their own printing, I'll be happy to share it with you, just let me know.

CNN do you still have the Awful Mix Vol 5 logo kickin around? I missed out ordering last year and that's my fave design ever so I wanted to see if I could just get my own printed :3:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'd not mine a nice transparent version of the logo to stick on my ~internet racecar~ :)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Milli posted:

CNN do you still have the Awful Mix Vol 5 logo kickin around? I missed out ordering last year and that's my fave design ever so I wanted to see if I could just get my own printed :3:

I do!

Layered PSD: https://goo.gl/NHW7jp
Flattened PNG: https://goo.gl/kxjf8B

Should be at print size/resolution.

Bentai posted:

I'd not mine a nice transparent version of the logo to stick on my ~internet racecar~ :)

Layered PSD: https://goo.gl/ZUEO1l
Flattened PNG: https://goo.gl/Dd5PgL

Again, at print size/resolution.

Annnd here's the version without Trivial Fursuit...

Layered PSD: https://goo.gl/HBpglt
Flattened PNG: https://goo.gl/UM5KNu

These are all huge images so resize to suit your needs.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

T-shirt order submitted! Invoices will probably be out Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

How long will we have to pay up? Won't have the money in hand until Thursday

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I don't really set a deadline. You just gotta pay before I ship you your stuff, whenever that happens to be. It's all up to you!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Invoices are out now! Things got processed faster than expected. Send me payments when you can!

International shipping rates are now correctly calculated this time around, so I'm sorry to be charging some of you more than I did last time. My mistake was to your benefit in the last round of t-shirts. :haw:

Hairpull
Jul 18, 2007
I miss trivia so bad guys :eng99:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I just realized that I hosed up a couple of the t-shirt invoices, so you might get an email asking for some additional dollars. Basically, if your ordered multiple shirts, I managed to only total your bill as if you purchased only one shirt. I am not always good at spreadsheets.

Really sorry for that. :downs: I would eat the expense if I could because it was my gently caress-up, but I'm moving next month, and don't really have the wiggle room right now. I appreciate your understanding.

Shirts will still be shipped on time, though! Still waiting to hear back if they're done, but I bet tomorrow will be the day, meaning I can get the shirts shipped either over the weekend or early next week.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Shirts are finished and ready to be picked up from the printer's, but due to training I have going on this week, I'm not going to be able to pick them up today! So, they'll be picked up tomorrow.

Expect stuff to be shipped by the end of the week!!

If ANYONE knows how to reach Kilonum (outside emails and PMs), please send him my way. He ordered a commemorative shirt, but I've not heard from him since, and I want to make sure he still wants what he ordered! If he doesn't, I might have an extra! :P

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Stupid awful Android app not letting me know I had a pm (also, computer broken)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Completely different sort of trivia than what 90FM does, but the World Quizzing Championships is happening this Saturday. There are locations all over the world, so if you're not doing anything then check it out.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My t-shirt arrived! It's amazing, thank you!

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
:siren: If you're going through Trivia withdrawals, or if you missed out on the main contest, we've been invited to participate in a trivia contest this weekend! :siren:

Trivia XII: Triv And Let Die
Hosted by Festivus for the Rest of Us
Friday, September 9 @6pm CDT to Saturday, September 10 @9pm CDT

As with 90fm, Dad's computers and our own trivia contest, there are pictures that need identified. Hop over to #tp at irc.synirc.net for further details.

Here's info on how to join our channel if you've used IRC before. We're not worrying about voicing everyone this weekend, so it's no big deal if you haven't registered your nick or you forgot your password. You can still do it if you have time!

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Yeah, baby!!! TRIVIA EVERY DAY!!!!

There are fun pictures we need help with, please help

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
Signal boosting one of the truly positive GBS groups/events. This is a great low pressure environment to see what the big contest is like.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Anyone with downtime and trivia or google skills please jump in.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

How'd you guys do? I was unfortunately tied up for the weekend, but I still well care about how goons did in meaningless trivia comps....

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Shortly after the end of this year's contest there was a Google spreadsheet for people to volunteer to take notes on shoes for the upcoming TV season. Does anyone have a link to that? I signed up for a few, but I forget which.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

How'd you guys do? I was unfortunately tied up for the weekend, but I still well care about how goons did in meaningless trivia comps....

We got 4th.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gm5k5bSoHrrjw6JJr0Un5bNMOsqQ61voHkaULT5Gnfs/pubhtml?gid=1350135945&single=true&range=A1%3AC13

There weren't many goons playing. Those that were had to carry way too much weight and were pretty exhausted.

We probably need a trivia mailing list or something. This thread doesn't get enough posts to stay on top for the smaller contests.

Also some of the tools that goons have built weren't working which added to the stress. Hopefully they get fixed for next time.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Pubic Lair posted:

Also some of the tools that goons have built weren't working which added to the stress. Hopefully they get fixed for next time.

Already up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Pubic Lair posted:

We got 4th.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gm5k5bSoHrrjw6JJr0Un5bNMOsqQ61voHkaULT5Gnfs/pubhtml?gid=1350135945&single=true&range=A1%3AC13

There weren't many goons playing. Those that were had to carry way too much weight and were pretty exhausted.

We probably need a trivia mailing list or something. This thread doesn't get enough posts to stay on top for the smaller contests.

4th? Good job, dedicated triv-goons. :D

• Locked thread