Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

those guys probably racked up hundreds of dollars in rental fees :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

Lutha Mahtin posted:

those guys probably racked up hundreds of dollars in rental fees :pwn:

You have no idea. You can rent them in NYC but they don't come with bike locks, and if its stolen you owe them somewhere around $1000+ USD

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I saw a group of people bombing down Hawk Hill on those yesterday morning, kinda funny. Obviously an intentional "let's rent these heavy rear end city bikes and take them up the nearest hill"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

bikesonyx posted:

You have no idea. You can rent them in NYC but they don't come with bike locks, and if its stolen you owe them somewhere around $1000+ USD

Actually I do have an idea, haha. I rented a bike from the bikeshare system here once (to go bike-drinking with goons, actually) and for a single-segment rental of 2-3 hours, I think the bill was $30 or so. The whole system is designed to discourage long rentals, so that there are always bikes available to check out.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Actually I do have an idea, haha. I rented a bike from the bikeshare system here once (to go bike-drinking with goons, actually) and for a single-segment rental of 2-3 hours, I think the bill was $30 or so. The whole system is designed to discourage long rentals, so that there are always bikes available to check out.

I think the whole system is designed to discourage cycling altogether.

I believe here in Columbus there's actually a fine if you don't check the bike in to a rental rack every fifteen minutes or something completely onerous like that. Not sure anyone in their right mind would want to steal one of those piles anyways.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Did you leave the bike checked out while you were drinking or something? The idea is that you check out a bike, check it back in at your destination, then check out a different bike when it's time to move again. For longer rides if you're going a long distance or just cruising around, as long as you're within the bikeshare network it's usually trivial to check it in every half hour and just immediately check it back out after.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

I think the whole system is designed to discourage cycling altogether.

I believe here in Columbus there's actually a fine if you don't check the bike in to a rental rack every fifteen minutes or something completely onerous like that. Not sure anyone in their right mind would want to steal one of those piles anyways.

Perhaps it's to encourage riding the bicycle versus going on a bicycle ride

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
That's BS. In Zurich last year, I deposited (not paid) 10 Francs + ID and had a decent bike + lock for a day.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Did you leave the bike checked out while you were drinking or something? The idea is that you check out a bike, check it back in at your destination, then check out a different bike when it's time to move again. For longer rides if you're going a long distance or just cruising around, as long as you're within the bikeshare network it's usually trivial to check it in every half hour and just immediately check it back out after.

Yeah I know, we were riding around on some out of the way trails though. The membership system for my local system is pretty good if you live close to one of the stations, you get unlimited 30 minute rentals for a few bucks a month. There aren't any stations close to my house though, the closest three stations are all like a 15 minute walk from my house in different directions :ughh:

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
0-5 miles means I'm riding to the beach to hit the bars.

We call it barcycling. Perfect way to spend a sunny Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass

OSU_Matthew posted:

Man, that sounds awful. Good news is that you can get a halfway decent geared bike for pretty inexpensive these days, so there's no reason to ride a fixie anymore :unsmith:

Did the same thing with with my daily commute, I've had my fixed bike for about nine years now. Every so often I'll start looking into road bikes, but until my old knees finally can't do it, I think I'll stick to fixed. (Especially since I just got a new frame)

• Locked thread