Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Link To This Update By Itself

Hello everyone. Today we're gonna fight a miniboss! Let's get started shall we?

: If we head straight in this direction, we'll see Flurrie's place in no time.

: If we wanna get over to that ledge on the right, I think we gotta fly in Plane Mode. Oh, hey, and Mario... Can you see that tunnel-like opening in the ledge wall?

There's a secret hidden on this screen, and I didn't grab it at the time. If I remember right, you're supposed to stand on the 10th stump and jump, or something like that.

This cloud fellow is the new enemy on the screen. It can be kind of tricky to kill if you're not careful. It almost always floats out of Koops's reach, and if you don't kill it within two turns, it gains an electric aura for a few more. Naturally you probably shouldn't jump onto an electrified enemy.

If you didn't have Goombella tattle on this area, you could still kinda see the hidden passage through the black semi-transparent cliffside.

This switch controls the airplane pad we can see in the foreground.

Specifically, it raises the pad a good 20 or 30 feet into the air. The pad is now just high enough that we can fly over to the top of the cliff from before.

Don't forget this guy.

I wanna say this is Shine Sprite 5/42. One more and we'll be able to upgrade Koops! :toot:

Over on top of the cliff I've mentioned several times.

:hellyeah: This is another of those badges I always use when playing this game. This thing is invaluable if we run across a bunch of Clefts.

: This is the outer part of the Boggly Woods. The flowers are almost like a carpet! Hey, and isn't it totally rare to find a white-leaved tree? What kind of tree is that?

White leaved trees aren't exactly rare. There's quite a few cherry blossom trees in the area around where I live that have white leaves. They're quite pretty this time of year.

I haven't even kept track of how many star pieces we've found. I'm sure I've missed a bunch. But that's what a roundup at the end of the LP is for. There's quite a few you straight up can't find until you get the upgrade from this chapter, and absolutely nothing to mark that they're even there in the first place.

: Look! There, in the distance! That's what I was telling you about. Flurrie's place.

This recharge block feels a bit oddly placed to me. The outside of the Great Boggly Tree feels like a better spot for one, but there's one just inside the front door. This one right here just isn't convenient to anything. :shrug:

Oh well, it's a cheap recharge so I'm not gonna complain.

: What a totally nice house! Super coordination between the red walls and furniture. I'm so jealous it's not even funny. I have like, NO sense of interior decoration.

: Hey, I don't think anyone's home. It's too quiet... Maybe we should take off.
: ...Uh... Excuse me! Ummm... Maybe she isn't here. I wonder if she went for a walk in the woods.

: Madame Flurrie! Hellooooo? If you're here, say something!

: Eeeeek! No! Out of the question! You mustn't come in here! :h:

: Uh... Madame Flurrie? Are you there? Is that you? ...What are you doing?
: Oh! Wait a moment... Those darling, squishy little footsteps... Is that you, Punio? Oh, it's been an AGE since I saw you last! You poor dear! Is there something you need?
: Uh, well, the thing is... We have a problem that only you can help us with, ma'am. The Great Tree's entry hole is blocked. There's this stupid door we can't seem to open. My Puni friends are inside, so they're in a pickle, and Mario needs these Crystal Stars... It's a train wreck, really. If you can't find the secret entrance for us, we're done.
: Oh... Is that all, dearie? You came all the way here just for that? My adorable little Punio... You know I would do anything in my power to help you. However, lamentably... I'm in a bit of a bind myself. I just cannot come out.
: Wow, what's the matter?
: It's somewhat embarrassing... but I never go out without my favorite necklace. I just can't find the blessed thing! I suspect I dropped it on my daily constitutional. I'd be simply SCANDALIZED if anyone saw me without it, so I shan't be going out. I absolutely MUST have that necklace to highlight my beauty, and that's that!

: Oh, I TOTALLY know how you feel! When I go out, I am all about the accessories!
: Gee whiz, that must be some nice necklace, huh? ...Hang on... You know what? It's weird... I'm sure I just heard someone talking about a necklace...
: What's that? DO speak up! You! Whoever just spoke! Do you have some clue as to my necklace's whereabouts? If you do, you must help me! Please! Be a dear! Find it and bring it back to me! If you could, then I'd be delighted to help my squishy little friend, Punio. :h:
: Don't worry, Madame Flurrie! I'm sure Mario can find your necklace. Word is, he's super!

: Huh? Did you just say "nah"? Uh... What's wrong with you? Let's go find her necklace!
: I'm sorry to trouble you so. :h: Please! You must find my precious necklace! I'm counting on you! :h: Ohhh... Poor, poor me... When, oh when, will I see my precious necklace again?

Right. Do you all remember where we last saw a necklace? Keep thinking about it while we backtrack looking for it.

The game cuts back over to this trio when we walk out of Flurrie's front door.

: Beldam! I TOLD you! Blaming me for losing the sketch... and YOU had it!
: Silence, you twit! Now's not the time to get hung up on stupid details! We must study this sketch!
: Guh! Guhhhhh?

: Wow! This Mario guy looks so manly! Check out that bushy mustache... How handsome! You know something, though, my lovelies? I swear I've seen this gentleman before... AAAAAAAAAAAACK! He's Mr. Mustache!
: Guh! GUHHH!
: Ack! I don't believe this! Vivian! This is, without a doubt, all your fault! I'll be dealing out some strict punishment later, my dearie! Oh, yes! I promise you that!
: What?!? That's not fair! You're the one who had the...
: Silence, you squirrel-brain! Don't you cop that insolent attitude with me!
: Ugh! This is NOT fair...
: And about that necklace... I was thinking of returning it to you, but NO MORE!
: Awww...
: AND... since you caused this problem, you have to figure how to find this Mario chump!
: Uhhhh-guh...

Truly, Marilyn is the great orator of our time.

Anyway, this is fast forwarding about five minutes of backtracking. We're back on the screen with the Shadow Sirens.

Like so. Not pictured was every enemy on the screen making a direct beeline for Mario, which is why Koops is now out.

: Well! If it isn't Mario! Shiny mustache or no, you can't be too bright if you came here looking for us! Mmmmmwee hee hee hee... And you know why? 'Cause we were waiting for YOU!

: Uh-huh! Uh-huh! I remember! THEY'RE the ones with... Hey! Wait a second...
: You've been waiting for Mario? What's THAT supposed to mean, you weirdo?
: Mmmmmmwee hee hee hee! I have no quarrel with you... but I simply can't allow you to hunt for the Crystal Stars. And so, I'll be taking that little map of yours just as soon as I deal with you.
: Hey! What's your deal? How do you know about the map and the Crystal Stars?
: Have you talked to Princess Peach or something?
: Wait, what am I saying? The real question is, who the heck are you freaks?
: Mmmmmmwee hee hee hee! Those who seek names are often disappointed, but if you insist, we'll tell you. We are...
: The Three...

: The Three Shadow Beauties?
: Vivian! You nincompoop! What are you babbling about? It's Shadow SIRENS!

: Aw, right, Sis, I'm sorry... It's just, you always call us "lovelies," and...
: It's just a figure of speech! Ooh, you've got some FIERCE punishment coming your way!

: Aw, gee whiz... I hate being punished...
: That's for later, though... First, we have to deal with this Mario and his friends. Let's do it, my lovelies... or rather, my lovely and ugly! Marilyn! Vivian! The might of The Three Shadow Sirens will be more than enough to win the day!

Shadow Sirens Battle

: It's most unlucky that our sights are set on you. Well, unlucky for you, of course. Marilyn! Vivian! Let's show them precisely what we can do!
: Guh!
: Yes, Sis!

The asterisk means that her blizzard move deals 2 base damage.

These three work pretty well as a team. If you don't shut them down, then Marilyn and Beldam will set up a pretty nasty combo that involves Marilyn hitting you for an insane amount of damage. Thankfully that doesn't happen here.

Beldam's specialty seems to be buffing and debuffing others. Here she hit Mario with an ability that causes him to deal two less damage per hit. She can do the reverse to her sisters. Marilyn is wholly about being a bruiser. Goombella's strategy of taking her out first is a pretty sound one, because if you don't then you are in for a world of hurt. Vivian is a magic powerhouse, but she doesn't have very much HP. She can be defeated in a few as two turns.

Of course, we can also just completely shut all three of them down at once and the battle becomes a cakewalk.

Vivian is the first to fall. Marilyn is currently busy napping, so Beldam decides to buff herself instead of attack.

Gonna be honest, using Earth Tremor is my favorite part of fighting these three. Their tails stay connected to the ground the whole time!

This is the Blizzard attack I warned about.

It kinda hurts when Beldam's buffed herself up.

Beldam falls, and so does the backdrop.

Did I mention that Marilyn hits hard? Because this is without hers or Beldam's self-buff.

She barely has more HP than either of her sisters, so she goes down pretty quick too.

There's also a surprising amount of dialogue for this boss fight. Here it is for the sake of completion:

: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! You're tougher than I thought, Mr. Mustache. I guess it's time to stop toying with you, hmmm?

I guess this is for when you take Beldam below half health?

: Hit him, Marilyn! NOW!
: Guh!

This is definitely from that "Marilyn hits you super loving hard" combo that I mentioned earlier.

: What are you DOING, Vivian? You twit, I'll never forgive you if you lose!
: S-Sorry, Sis!

I guess this is from Vivian hitting half health?

: Ugh-guhhh...

: AAAAAAAAAAAACK!

: EEEEEEEEEEEEEK!

These seem to be alternate dialogue from each sister when you defeat them. Anyway, back to the update in progress...

: Marilyn! Vivian! You lumps! We would've won if you two pulled your weight! Both of you, prepare for a world-class punishment session when we get home!

: That's Flurrie's necklace! Yes! Let's take it to her!

Skipping ahead to Flurrie's cottage.

: Oh! You delightful fellow! You've found my necklace! I'm beside myself, truly! :h: But... you still mustn't see me. Please, leave the necklace by the door and wait a moment.

: Oh, splendid, SPLENDID! My oh-so-ravishing necklace! I'm awash in joy! :h:

Flurrie's Theme

Meet Flurrie. She's, uh, our next partner.

: Oh! Oh... my... word! Mario, isn't it? Are YOU my heroic little necklace hunter? Well! My, my, my... Aren't you a FINE specimen of a man! Yes, indeed! :h:

: I simply MUST thank you for your graciousness! :h: But how to do it? Hmmm... Perhaps if I... grabbed you and gave you a little sugar? :h:
: *shakes head no*
: Here I come, handsome! Time to give you a proper thank-you! Pucker up! :h:

: Oh, Mario, you are just the CUTEST little thing I've ever laid eyes on! :h:
: *shakes head no*
: Yes, you are, and that's that. So tell me, are you truly looking for the Crystal Stars? The very same Crystal Stars spoken of by all the lowlifes in Rogueport? Mmmm... A danger-filled search for beautiful jewels... How absolutely marvelous! And here I was thinking how frightfully bored I was! It's time for a change!

: A man as manly as you must attract all sorts of trouble, and I want to keep you safe! So, I daresay I'll be joining you on this little adventure. I assume that's fine, Mario? :h:

: Flurrie's Abilities: A Primer

Press and Flurrie will exhale strong gusts of wind that can blow things away! If she blows in the direction of an enemy, she can make its head spin for a bit!

Hold down to make Flurrie exhale continuously!

: She can also do a Body Slam in battle, squashing enemies with her... stage presence. She can also aid Mario by using her Gale Force attack to blow enemies away!

Translation: Flurrie is fat and squashes enemies by throwing herself on top of them.

: This is wonderful! It's so nice that Flurrie likes you, Mario. Really, it's great! And even more importantly, Flurrie's chosen to join us! Let's go to the Great Tree!

: Ooh, AND a canopy bed! I'm sooo jealous! Argh! I'd DIE to have one! And all the furniture here is so stylish! It's like, TEARING ME APART! Interior decoration is all about balance, and this... place... has... got it!

First we're gonna loot Flurrie's bedroom.

I don't think I've ever used badges from this series. My play style just never intersected with where this kind of badge is useful, but I can see how they could be put to good use all the same.

This random battle popped up on the way back to the tree. Both these guys are carrying thunder bolts, which means nothing good for us.

I would make an animation of this, but it's nothing exciting to see. There's no real skill involved, no proper timing. You just need to keep the small crosshair inside the bigger one. The small one keeps sliding all over, but the movements are miniscule.

You know, at first Flurrie really isn't the most useful companion. Due to the nature of her attack, she can't be used against enemies that have spikes or are electrified or whatever. This really just means that she's a Goombella with more HP, and none of the sassiness. If I'm not mistaken however, Flurrie does have the most HP out of any partner, making her a pretty effective wall of health if nothing else. She also becomes effectively invulnerable after getting her first Shine Sprite power up.

Thunder bolts hurt by the way.

Anyway, when we get back to this screen...

: Oh, mercy me! Sounds like some mail!

: 04 RDM Premiere Issue

------------------------
RDM Premiere Issue!
------------------------

ROGUEPORT TODAY

Bringing you all the up-to-the-moment news as it happens!

We now have details of yet another incident at the parlor in west Rogueport. Outraged by the high Pianta prices, Goomfrey (age 30) is suspected of violently shaking the Pianta Changer (age 5), causing the Pianta Changer's alarm to sound, which led to the Pianta Changer ceasing to function for a brief period. The parlor was forced to close down temporarily.

The victim was quoted as saying: "I am a machine. No matter how hard I am shook, I feel no pain. End interview."

SHOP REPORTER GO!

Get all the hottest shopping news about all the hottest shopping spots in the world!

If Petalburg's your destination, you can't miss the shop that's been the talk of the town for the last 20 years: Niff T.'s shop! The friendly owner has long been thought to be the most eligible bachelor in town, but word is he's secretly in love with the girl at the inn! The wise and witty shopkeeper had this to say: "You only live once, so enjoy it while you can! Shop now at good old Niff T's shop!"

COOKING FOR ROOKIES

Interested in cooking but don't know what to cook? Try our chef's delicious suggestions!

Today's Yummy Recipe: Fried Shrooms! Just season your mushrooms, saute them up, and they're ready for the dinner table!

EDITOR'S NOTE

We hope you enjoyed RDM's premiere issue! You can look forward to future editions coming your way soon!

Published by Rogueport
Restoration Committee

It was at this point that I paused the game to check something. When I came back, it had completely locked up. So everything between getting Flurrie and now didn't happen, and similar but otherwise different events played out. I didn't think to start recording until I had finished checking the mail. I don't think you missed anything important at all.

The Great Boggly Tree

I forgot to include this last time we were on this screen, so here it is now. Give it a listen, the music is pretty nice and relaxing.

Now then... Flurrie's ability was briefly touched on in that little introduction she got. But, the general idea is you hold and she'll create a localized gust of wind. Take a look at this otherwise innocuous area above the red blast door.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/GoldenConsiderateHerculesbeetle.webm

There's two different types of "sheets" that Flurrie's breath can dislodge. There's the hidden ones like the one I just demonstrated, and...

Remember this dogeared page from the Rogueport sewers? She can also blow those loose.

I don't know if there's anything special denoting that the hidden pages can be blown or not. I've flipped back and forth between the two screenshots repeatedly and can't tell a difference. Oh well!

: That's the secret entrance! We can finally get inside! Here I goooooooo!

: Aren't Punies just the most precious little things?
: Mario, I feel I must ask... Did you know that I used to be a rather famous actress? I was a diva of the stage! I was known as Madame Flurrie the world over... But... the filthy air outside the spotlight repelled me. So I came to the woods.
: And soon enough, I glimpsed the beauty of these Punies and their pure little hearts... It reminded me of my own innocence as an actress. And that made me realize... I shall ever love the stage! I must feel the spotlight shine on me again! I MUST! As you can see, these dear little Punies helped me find my true self... That's why I must help them however I can before I go on my own adventures.
: Mario! Can you hear me?

: Check it out! I was able to open it from the inside! C'mon! Over here!
: The time has come for me to repay my debt to the Punies. Come along, Mario!

: Hurry up! Go inside!

Well, you heard the little man. Let's-a-go!

Next time we will begin the Chapter 2 dungeon and meet some more punies.

Video: Flurrie's Necklace, The Shadow Sirens, Meet Madame Flurrie, Flurrie's Power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
:allears: I love Goombella's little moment of confusion when she Tattles Vivian. By the way, since Vivian is apparently male in Japan is there a difference in the Tattle info?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Her tattle log on Vivian is different in the Japanese version.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, Japanese Vivian is, pretty different. The gag with Vivian calling them the Shadow Beauties is, in the Japanese version, Vivian calling them the Shadow Sisters and Beldam protesting that Vivian's a guy.

This bit is also kept in the French and Italian versions.

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
The Shadow Sirens fight is normally pretty manageable, but Beldam's blizzard attack does have a small chance of freezing both party members. If that happens, things can get dicey really quickly.

Also:

DoubleNegative posted:

: I doubt finding it is going to be easy. I mean, it won't be labeled "Secret Entrance"!

:allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I would say that Mario's one of the few species that can grow a mustache, but they're actually pretty common, aren't they?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

With marquee lights and everything. Holy cow.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone. I apologize for the small break that may or may not have coincided with Dark Souls 3's release week. There was also a birthday in there somewhere. But we're back now and that's what matters!

: It's like another world inside this tree, huh? And check out these statues! They must've been left by the ancestors of the Punies. I wonder how many years the Punies have lived in this place, anyway... These are the kinds of questions archaeologists have to ask, y'know.

Welcome to the view we're gonna have for the rest of the chapter. It looks interesting now, but wait for four updates from now when we're still doing busywork in here.

: Uh... Hmmm? Weird... Normally, everyone's right here... What the hey? Hey! Elder! Everybody! Come out! HELLOOOOOOOOOO?

I don't think these guys were who Punio was calling for.

: Wah! Who are YOU guys?!? How'd you get in here?

: Whoa! Dude! Is that... Isn't he that Mario guy?
: WHAAAAT?!? He IS? We'd better get him, then!
: But, dude, Lord Crump told us to tell him IMMEDIATELY if we found Mario. Remember?
: You idiot! Use your head! If we capture him, we'll get all the credit, man! Duhhh!
: Oh, yeah... Right on. Let's rock this chump!
: One, two, three... BREAK!

Generic X-Nauts aren't very exciting enemies. In all the times I've played this game, I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen one drink the buff potion that Goombella mentioned.

They can kinda hurt if you let them get out of control, but their HP is low enough that it should never be an issue. Goombella can one-round these jokers by herself, and everyone else isn't too far behind.

: C-Crud! That stung, man!
: Dude, maybe reporting back to Lord Crump isn't such a bad idea, after all!

They locked the door behind them. Welp.

: Pretty slick work, handling those guys, Mario. Seriously, way to go! But the question remains... Where did everybody go? What could possibly make everyone leave?

: Finally, SOMEBODY shows up! What are you doing hiding back there? Come out, for Pete's sake! I found us a powerful ally!

: He... He's huge! Uh... Are you sure your huge mustachioed man won't try to eat us?

: Huh? Hey! Who's that? Who else is back there?

: He's massive...
: Danger!
: He'll crush us!
: I don't like him!
: Nice 'stache!
: It scares me...
: So burly...
: Now, don't worry, everyone. This is Mario, and he's our friend. He's here to help! All those bad guys? Mario'll stomp every one of them, just like those last goons.

: Is this it? There are so few... Well, we have to make do! Let me formally introduce... Mario...
: WAIT!

: How do we really know this burly fellow is our ally? He might be one of them!
: Puniper! What're you saying? He's not one of them! Listen, we can all fight alongside Mario and chase those goons out of here! We can take back our tree. We can take back our homes!
: Hah! Big, bad Punio... Listen to yourself! Trying to sound all important-like! You have no idea the kind of troubles we've been through while you were gone!
: What? What are you talking about, Puniper? ...And why are there so few of you here, anyway? What happened to everyone?
: Well, they've been captured... by those goons! The elder... Everybody... Including... Your sister!
: WHAT?!? PETUNI?!? Tell me it isn't so!
: Oh, it's so, all right! She was taken off somewhere with the rest of them! They said it was because we wouldn't tell them where to find some crystal thing. We told them we'd never heard of it.
: Oh, poor Petuni... Well, that absolutely tears it! We've all got to go look for them right away!
: What are you saying, Punio? We can't do anything to those giant goons! Besides, they aren't alone. The cursed Jabbi tribe is in league with them. They're hoping to make this tree their own once we've all been driven from it. This is it for us. The end! And adding this hairy old man to our ranks won't help a bit!
: How can you say that? You can't know that! We HAVE to try, don't you see? Think about it! If we all get together we can take care of any stupid Jabbies! So, who's with me, huh? Come on, everyone! Let's pool our strength!
: Hah! Punio, Punio, Punio... You'll have to convince me, because I think you're nuts.
: What's that supposed to mean?

If this were any other RPG, Puniper would be the rear end in a top hat that betrays us at the last minute because he made a deal with the X-Nauts or Jabbis or something like that. Instead he's just a dumb bully trying to push around someone who could squish him without a second thought.

: If you can free our friends who got locked up somewhere in the tree... then I'll join your little crusade. Hah! Like that'll ever happen! Please!
: Fine! We'll show you! Right, Mario? Right? C'mon, follow me to glory! Let's go help them!
: Hah! I say again: hah! By all means, help our friends! Or are you quitting now... Telling me there's no hope... That it's impossible?

Say what you will about Punio being overly enthusiastic, but at least he has enough get-up-and-go to not only go off to look for help, but he's the first one to jump up to try and rescue everyone. Oh, and I'm gonna try a new method for showing off NPC tattles. So bear with me...

: That's Punio of the Punies. He sure is a hardworking little fella, huh? Don't you just wanna cheer him on? I always root for the underdog. Or whatever he is.

: That's Puniper of the Punies. He sure is big for a Puni. Too bad his head is big, too!

There's a bunch of tattles for the generic punies, but I'll show those off when it's funnier to do so. Anyway, we can't get through the locked door. So time to explore the tree pipe instead.

: This is an interesting pedestal, Mario. When the Punies stand on the panel, the machine counts them and responds! The ancient Punies must've been really sophisticated... This is totally fascinating!

Like Goombella said, this scale counts how many punies are on top of it. We can't do anything here just yet, so time to head up again.

: We're inside the Great Tree. Looks like lots of tufts of vegetation around here. Stuff could be hidden in those things, so let's make sure to check each one, OK?

The offensive version of the Shell of Courage! This could get pretty powerful with the right combination of skills.

The Yux is a pretty goofy looking enemy. They can also be a gigantic pain to take out, and are probably half the reason the game gave us access to a move as broken as Earth Tremor.

Their attacks aren't much to write home about, but the real threat comes from their automatic actions after each turn.

If you're going into an area where Yux-type enemies are present, it behooves you to always carry a few POW Blocks. The battle can quickly get out of control if you can't destroy the mini-yuxes faster than they can be produced.

Another combat encounter in the same room. You can imagine how mini-yuxes can get out of control if you let them. Luckily, Earth Tremor has no compunctions with wiping out all the mini-yuxes on the field. I love that ability.

Several screens in the Great Tree are like this. We're still in the same chamber I showed a bunch of screenshots ago, just up on the second floor. We could jump off right here and be right next to the pipe back to the scale room. Anyway...

: Man... This is brutal. How much longer 'til we find that stupid Crystal Star? Not even those puny Punies we captured know anything about it. And they live here! After all this pointless searching, I'm thinking we're looking in the wrong place...

: Um... Ouch?

: There's a red cell and a blue cell here. Crump must've made 'em to hold the Punies. With gaps like those between the bars, I think we could get through, though...

: Elder!
: Punio! Is that you? You're looking well.
: Why are you so calm, Elder? You're trapped! And this is our daring rescue of you!

: But...I think you ought to help the other Punies before you rescue me.
: Where are the others?

: Where was I?
: Ah. Yes. Right.
: Your question.
: The rest of the Punies...
: unfortunately, are locked...
: away in the other cell.
: I don't mind telling you...
: those uncouth, vile goons...
: just have no consideration...
: whatsoever...
: for the elderly!
: None! None, I tell you!
: Honestly, I have to ask...
: what's a Puni like me...
: supposed to do in a...
: situation like this. I ask you!
: Please, I want to know.
: But anyway, Punio, listen...
: Yes, listen to your elder...
: I have to say something...
: vital to you. Listen up!

All of those words were in those tiny little speech bubbles.

: ...Big brother?!? Is that my Punio?
: Petuni! Thank heavens! You're here! You're safe!
: I knew you'd come for me, Punio! I just KNEW it!
: Of course I would, dear sister! And I've brought us a mighty ally! Look at him! We're going to get you out of there right away, I swear. You just hold tight a second.
: OK!
: Mario! Listen... We've got to find the cell key or we're going nowhere!

: That's the elder that Puniper mentioned. You gotta be real old to be called "elder"... Being trapped in here can't be good for her health... Let's hurry up and help her!
: That's Punio's sister, Petuni. She really cares about her brother. I mean, you can just FEEL her love for him! I feel totally awful that she's all trapped in here. Let's hurry up and help her and the rest of them, OK?

: Oh, well, isn't this a treat! We must stop meeting like this, don't you think?
: Hey! Stop right there, missy! You're that thieving girl we saw before! What are you doing here?
: Oh! Hey! I know you! Y-You're that one girl... I-I never thought I'd see... Wait, uh... Listen. I mean, not that I'm happy to see you, but... I'll shut up now.
: Excuse me? We must what? Are you a friend of Mario's? Oh, wait... I see. And I most certainly do NOT approve!
: Well, anyway, I heard there were nice badges to be found here, so I came looking... Only problem is, I've been running into more trouble than I expected.

: Mmm hmm hmm hmm! But who cares about that? LOVELY to see you again!

:allears: Seriously guys, Goombella remains the best.

: Aww, AGAIN? Why? How? You're SO lucky, Mario!
: Oh, mercy me! Mario! You're popular with all the girls, aren't you?
: The precious Crystal Star you're looking for is near the bottom of this tree. Good luck finding it before
the others! Mmm hmm hmm! Take care, my handsome 'stache superstar! Let's get together again soon!
: I can't BELIEVE that girl! Ugh! I can't stand her!
: Man, she sure is cute.
: Well! Don't worry, Mario! I'm not TOO jealous. What a shameless flirt, though!

: Urgh, my aching... Hey! You! You're the dirtbag who hit me from behind, aren't you? Yeah, real fair, you scum! You fight dirty, you get dirty! And I'll be doing the dirting!

Just a single screenshot to show how hosed this guy is.

Well at least we can rescue someone.

: Looks like Crump left behind lots of the equipment he used to search this tree. Ms. Mowz was here before, but I think she took the next train to Floozyville.

Now, there's supposed to be an encounter here. But I've never been able to get it to properly trigger. Behind one of the chests is supposed to be a baby Jabbi. There's even some tattle dialogue for it.

: That's Jabble the Jabbi. He seems to be friends with Punio and Petuni. If the Punies and Jabbies could just get along like Punio and Jabble... Maybe that's asking a bit much, huh?

Let's free the elder. Maybe she can help us with the Puniper problem.

: Elder! We're back! We're here to rescue you!

: Punio! Sit down this instant and keep your mouth shut!
: Huh? What? Why? What did I do? Uh... Listen, Elder, I don't know why you're mad, but we came here to help you...
: Stop your mumbling, you! And mind your elders! You whelp! How could you abandon your poor sister and run off like that... Absolutely shameful!
: But... But, Elder... I just went to find help... To help rescue you...
: Oh, stop with the whining! You never interrupt an elder mid-lecture! NEVER!

: And your time to be a doofus is over, because you have to lead our Puni tribe one day! That day is not far off! ...And THAT is why you need to listen! Now, first of all...

: ...or else! You got that? From now on, you've got to get your act together, Punio!
: ...Yes, Elder. Yes, I understand.
: Bah! Only answer ONCE! ...But say, by the way, why are you here, anyway?
: Uh, I was just telling you... We came to rescue everyone. We started with you, Elder.

: This cell is cold, which isn't good for the old back, and there's this damp stench...
: Uh... Well, there she goes. Enough standing around!

: Just you wait, Petuni! I'll be right back for you!
: OK, big brother! I'll be waiting.
: Haruuuuuummmmmmmph! Who goes locking up an old woman in a place like this?

There's also alternate dialogue for trying to unlock the blue cage with the red key.

: Big brother! You came!

: The key does not fit.

: This isn't the right key? Oh, for crying out loud!
: Big brother!

Time to backtrack to the first room of the dungeon.

: Hmph! You heard me! Hmph! I can't say I expected you to manage to rescue the elder...
: I told you I could do it!
: Don't get a swelled head! This doesn't mean I'll accept you as our leader... And it definitely doesn't mean I completely trust that mustache guy, either. For starters, you still haven't rescued the other Punies yet. I'm not lifting an antenna to help until you do.

: Deplorable! How DARE you talk like that, knowing what we're up against?!? We must stand together now! We must take back our tree! Don't you understand that?
: But... But, Elder...
: Shut your trap, Puniper! And mind me, you hear? You'll help Mustachio here... What'd you say your name was again? It was, er... It was Marty, wasn't it?
: It's "Mario"! He's Mario! I mean, sheesh! He's only world-famous! Come on!
: Yes, yes, simmer down, you. And everyone else, help Marty-o clear out our tree!
: Oh, all right, Elder... Whatever you say. I'm not heartless or anything. To tell you the truth, I'm worried about Petuni, too. And you're right, we have no choice. We must fight! Right, everybody?
: There you go, my Punies! That's the spirit!

: Thanks, you guys...
: Hey, if you're done rallying everyone... I have a question.
: Umm, while we have your attention, can I ask you something?
: Say, if you have a moment... Might I ask a question? We're looking for a lovely gem called a Crystal Star... Do you know of it?
: The Crystal Star, eh? Hrrrrrmmmmmmm... Yes, perhaps... Hidden down, down, down at the bottom of this tree is a funny-colored stone. But what do we do with it? Oh, right: "Guard it from evil and give it to a pure heart..." That's what generations of elders have been taught. Might be the Crystal Star...
: Marty! Or...Marty-o! I'm thinking you better get it before those goons do. I don't quite see how just yet, but I bet it's connected to us getting our tree back. You got all that, Marty-o? Crystal Star. Bottom part of the tree. Go to it.

: Oh! Hold your horses! I forgot something! Before you can get the Crystal Star, you must save all of the captured Punies. Yup, you'll never get to that gem without the help of the Punies. Not a chance. So here, you'd better take this. It's the Puni Orb. It's the symbol of our leader.

: If you place this in the pedestals you see around the tree, the Punies will gather. Just remember to take the orb with you when you're done using it. Because, well, if you don't, everyone'll just kind of hang out and stare at the orb.

: All right, guys! Let's go rescue everybody!

Have yo--

: So sorry! So sorry! I've been awfully forgetful as of late. Now then, where was I? Oh, right! On your way to the Crystal Star... If you lose any of the Punies and have a hard time finding them, just come see me. What I'll do is, I'll give a whistle to call 'em back here. You got all that?

I've thankfully never needed her services, but the Elder has a bunch of dialogue if you talk to her. So no reason not to show it off. No screenshots because this all came from my text dump.

: Hey! What's the matter?

------------------------------------------
Just saying "hi."
I lost some Punies.
I love you!
------------------------------------------

Just saying "hi."

: Are you ready, Marty-o? The Crystal Star is at the very bottom of the tree. For the sake of the Puni tribe's future, you mustn't give in to those thugs.

I lost some Punies.

: I understand the situation. Just wait a moment.
: PUUUUNIES!
: All right, Mr. Marty-o! Off you go, now!

: Hrmm? What? What is it? I don't think there are any lost Punies out there. Are you sure you aren't a little crazy in the head? Do you hear any voices?

: Eh? What's that you say? Everyone's trapped in some cell somewhere? Egads! Well, if that's the case, my calling them certainly isn't going to get them out. You need to get moving and get them out of there now! C'mon! Lickety-split!

I love you!

: Well! I'm shocked! Who makes fun of an old woman like that! Honestly! Why, if I were just ten years younger, I'd show you! Oh, you'd best believe it! I'll have you know that in my younger days I was considered a Puni prize! I had so many suitors, I had to fight them off! Eeeh hee hee hee hee hee! Now that I think about it, there was a particularly fine boy named Punderton...

: Two hours later...

: ...And that's how I became the Puni elder, the leader of the Puni tribe. Now you know my tale, and I know yours, so good luck to you!

That's all for now. Join me next time when we start four straight updates full of herding a bunch of Punies.

Video: Meeting the Punies, Meeting the Rest of the Punies, 11 Punies Joined Your Party

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Are they easier or harder than Lemmings to take care of?

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
About Jabble the Jabbi, he's actually found behind some crates in the secret tree shop, not the treasure room.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

berryjon posted:

They stop moving if they get too far away from you. You also seriously get a train of 101 of them later in the chapter.

So maybe not Lemmings, but herding cats is pretty appropriate.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

berryjon posted:

Really they're more like Pikmin, but with even worse pathfinding than the first Pikmin had.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I actually enjoyed this section.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So help me, if that beautiful international diamond thief stole a blue key because it would look good with her eyes, there will be such a bristly mustache.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Speaking of which, I really like the way this game (series) deals with all the random enemies from the Mario games. They're just... people, even when that makes no sense. Which is why we get Goomba archaeologists, sailor Bob-ombs, and beautiful international diamond thief rats. It's all very charming.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Glazius posted:

So help me, if that beautiful international diamond thief stole a blue key because it would look good with her eyes, there will be such a bristly mustache.

Excuse you, she's a beautiful international badge thief.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone. Today's update is gonna introduce us to the two primary mechanics for the dungeon.

See this squad of eleven Punies?

The platform I mentioned in the last update counts how many are on it. However, even with all eleven on top of it, the puzzle doesn't complete.

This little altar in the background is the key to finishing the puzzle.

The Puni Orb allows us to complete these puzzles. In this case...

The platform sinks into the ground and...

A warp pipe pops up. See the little mouse hole on the front? That lets the Punies progress through the dungeon with us.

: Ooh, look! A new pipe! Come on! Let's jump in!

As long as all of the Punies are with you when you enter the pipe, they'll all be with you when you emerge on the other side. So all you need to go by is the number in the bottom left corner of the screen.

On the next screen we find a pair of X-Nauts. Normally I'd skip over the battle, but this is a rare occurrence.

Their HP stays the same, and their attack increases by two. The poor bastard doesn't live long enough to enjoy his newfound power.

: We can jump this gap easily, but I think the Punies will totally plummet down there. If you gather them into a group and blow on them, they should all fall over the edge... But then they'll come back up in bubbles! And then you can blow them across! As for the door on the left, if you use that panel, it'll unlock it, I'm pretty sure.

Anyway, this is the other side of that security door in the lobby. We can trip that switch over next to the door and have a handy shortcut back. Goombella's tattle also just spelled out how to complete the puzzle in here.

That pipe in the back left corner of the previous shot takes us down here. We're in that little pit you could see up there. You can even see one of the aforementioned bubbles starting to rise up. We have some business down here first.

:toot: That's 6/42! Next time we're in Rogueport, we can power up one of our companions.

There's also this little treat hiding in one of the bushes.

Anyway, the puzzle is much the same as it was above.

First gather the Punies in one location.

Next you get out Flurrie.

There's something adorable about seeing the Punies rise up in bubbles. :3:

This is the other side of that gap. There's even an altar over here to stick the Puni Orb in so you can get back across with your herd of adorable little whatsits.

: The Punies are totally afraid of these Piders. When a Pider drops, the Punies completely lose it and bolt in every direction. You're gonna have to defeat any Piders near the path you wanna lead the Punies
along.

The tattle for this screen gives away the new enemy. We'll see them in just a moment.

You can already see the Punies starting to run away.

These guys aren't too tough. They have a bunch of HP, but that's not really a problem. As far as I can tell, there's no easy way to tell if they're gonna shoot their projectiles just once or three times.

The triple attack is just this attack, but three times. It's also a little harder to dodge if you miss the first prompt. Though that's entirely due to getting out of the rhythm.

Anyway, after the battle, we go collect our lost Punies and... well, we have a problem. See if you can figure out what that is. While you think on that, we're gonna take the pipe down to the next floor.

Hmm. That shine sprite looks tempting...

Back up above. That urn looks kind out of place doesn't it? Looks like it's sitting on top of something.

We can use Flurrie to blow it away and reveal the airplane pad underneath.

That makes 7/42! There's two more of these things down in the dungeon, so by the end of this chapter, we'll be able to power up both Koops and Flurrie.

The answer to what was wrong up above was that one of our Punies went missing. When the Pider appeared, they all freaked out and started running. This little genius decided to run right off the ledge above.

Anyway, it was around this point that I got a really bad idea in my head. So...

Gonna leave these little guys huddled around this altar. We'll be back in a few minutes, so they can hold the fort down until then.

See, we have 4 shine sprites currently. It sure would be helpful to have another powerful partner for the remainder of this chapter.

Some might see this as dereliction of duty. I call it being prepared.

It also gives me an excuse to show off one of Flurrie's attacks.

https://fat.gfycat.com/EdibleHarmoniousGeese.webm

The basic idea is to hold down A when the button prompt above does so. If you do it right, you blow all the enemies out of battle. But better than that...

You still get the experience rewards for doing so! :toot:

Oh hey, it's Dupree.

: That's that totally gross guy, Dupree! What the heck is THAT guy doing here? Omigosh! You don't think he followed us here 'cause he's infatuated with me, do you? ...No? Oh, what, like it's not even possible?!? That's kinda insulting, Mario!

: Allo, leetle friends! I came to warn you that zee Shadow Sirens were 'eaded 'ere... Alors! It looks like I am too late!

Wow, Goombella. You're kind of a dick. He was trying to be nice and give us a warning. Anyway...

Back in Rogueport sewers. At the time I didn't remember to do so, but there's a thing in this chamber we can use Flurrie's breath on. I'll have to grab that later.

You're still here, Luigi? I thought you were going to Rumblebump Volcano?

Gonna be honest, I'm as surprised as you are that this popped up here.

: 05 Koopook: Hide/Seek

What's up, Koops? After you found me, Koops, I found a nice hiding nook at a place called Goomstar Temple. It's so cold my shell is frosty, but it's a great place for hiding.

Obviously, I don't want anyone to find me, but... The thing is, I DO want people to see how good I am at hiding. You see the bind I'm in?

Anyway, spread the word! Come find the wandering Hide-n-Seek Koopa! See ya later... Or not!

Yours, Koopook

Goomstar Temple is a location that never appears in this game. So say goodbye to Koopook everyone. :wave:

Powering up Flurrie is pretty tempting, but I think we're gonna go with Koops in this case. Giving him some extra power will let us reliably damage spiky enemies with more than 1 defense.

As such.

Also file another entry in the "DoubleNegative has no clue what they're talking about" folder. Earlier in the thread I claimed that Koops dealt 4 damage. As you can see, this is blatantly not true. If you remember, these spiky fellows have 2 defense, which means that he only deals 3 damage. I have no idea what I was thinking of at the time.

But 3 damage is better than 2. Especially because that 3 damage will let us fight spiky fellows more easily.

Looks like the Puni Elder called all the Punies back to the lobby. That's fine with me.

Just more proof that Koops deals 3 damage. :shrug:

Anyway, this is skipping ahead a bit. This is the bottom of the big room where we first fought a Pider. This is a pretty nasty combination of enemies. But with Koops's new power, it's pretty easy to take them all out. I stand by my decision to power him up instead of Flurrie.

Besides, she'll get her power up at the end of the chapter instead of midway through.

: We're inside the Great Tree. This area has a totally wacked-out topography. Y'know, I think Punio said something about a hidden shop somewhere in this area... If you need any items, we should try to find it, huh?

This is your only hint as to the location of the shop hidden in this chapter. We'll find that later. For right now, our business is with that mosquito looking gentleman.

: Mario! Did you see it? That was a Jabbi! Based on what Puniper said, they're helping the intruders and trying to seize the tree. Our tribes have been enemies for a long time now. Every time we meet, we fight. A lot.
: ...But I used to get along with Jabble. He's of the Jabbi tribe... I wonder if even Jabble is my enemy now...

The Jabbie ducks into this room. We should follow him!

: Hey, there's water running through the inside of the Great Tree! You don't think... Could this be how the tree carries nutrients from root to limb? Y'know, nature is just about the coolest thing ever.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/HardArcticIndianrhinoceros.webm

: Everyone! It's the Jabbies!
: It's a 10-Jabbi squadron! Uh... Let's get them! Come on, Mario!

There's a small battle. I wandered around smacking the Jabbies with our hammer and it seemed to work out fine. It's possible to lose this fight, and if you do there's a little dialogue.

: Oh, that was...not good! They walked all over us... We have to regroup and try again!

But we don't have to worry about that.

If you're curious to see the battle in action, the full 30 second endeavor is in the highlights video below. Anyway, something I never realized before I got this text dump, but each of these Jabbies has some dialogue!

: ..........? ..........!!!
: (Yikes! It's Mario!!! Don't pick on me!) ...That's what he looks like he wants to say!

: .................................. ..................................
: (I'm sorry we were used by those outsiders. We've learned from our mistake!) ...That's what he looks like he wants to say!

: (That tiny pink-topped Puni girl is sooooooooooo cute!) ...That's what he looks like he wants to say!

: .................................?
: (Where'd Jabble go? Did he sneak back to the shop?) ...That's what he looks like he wants to say!

: (Ahh... I'm so busy! So busy! Life isn't easy for us Jabbies! No, sir!) ...That's what he looks like he wants to say!

: .................................! .................. ..................................
: (I want to jab that chubby Puni right in the BELLY!) ...That's what he looks like he wants to say!

There's also some tattle dialogue for the various Jabbies.

: : That's a Jabbi. The Punies are pretty weird, but boy, so are the Jabbies! I mean, what do they eat?

: : That's a Jabbi. They have wings, but they just scuttle along the ground. Is that considered walking?

: : That's a Jabbi. I can't tell one from another, though. I'm sure they can tell themselves apart...

: : That's a Jabbi. And that's all you need to know, smart guy.

: This area seems to have been laid out for a special reason, don't you think? There must be something super-important hidden here.

This is what the Jabbi hive was guarding. This looks pretty important.

:hellyeah:

: Yes! With this key, we should be able to open the cell my people are locked in. Hurry! We have to free my sister and the others!

We can't do anything else in here right now. So we'll have to come back later on.

: ...and they'll never come back and that's that and what's gonna happen to us and... Hey, by the way...
What's that thing you've been holding on to so tightly?

: It's a mushroom...
: Oh. Not to be, you know, rude, but it looks all dry and wrinkly and gross.
: Yeah, yeah, I know... I picked it so I could give it to my brother to eat. But then I got captured and
stuck in here, and after a few days it dried out...

: Oh, really? Great story. Anyway, don't worry so much. All my complaining aside, I'm sure Punio will return.

That's all for now. Next time we'll rescue the ninety Punies in that cage. See y'all then!

Video: Jabbie Battle, Petuni's Gift

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Whew, the aesthetics of this area really do get tiresome to look at after awhile. The areas all look the same.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Uh, why do you keep pulling in NPC lines from After the chapter is over?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

MightyPretenders posted:

Uh, why do you keep pulling in NPC lines from After the chapter is over?

You say "keep" like it's happened multiple times. However, I invite you to try and make sense of the text dump that I'm using.

It's in the order that the text appears on the game disc. The outdoors part of chapter 2 is nowhere near the dungeon part of the chapter, which is nowhere near anything else. It's also ordered by room, oftentimes with tattles or dialogue from the end of the game right next to stuff from the very beginning.

I'd say given the circumstances I'm doing a pretty admirable job of making sense of this 2MB .txt file of insanity.

EDIT: I should mention that there are massive goddamn spoilers in here.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What an odd thing to cut back to the Punis for. I wonder if they wanted people to remember why they wanted a blue key in the first place.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
I was trying to play along and for some bizarre reason, right after I beat Chapter 1, I stopped being able to gain star power. Its really odd, has anyone seen that before?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Hey, guess who actually got around to reading this. It's great so far; you know what to show, what to cut and how to game the system. Basically... keep up the good work, Neg!

DoubleNegative posted:

We will not be exploring in here yet. This is the infamous Pit of 100 Trials. In the OP of this thread I mentioned that I would not be completing the optional bonus dungeon.
I beat that thing on the Gamecube. You have savestates. Man up. :colbert:

The last few parts of it are pretty nasty though, I'll give you that much.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yapping Eevee posted:

Hey, guess who actually got around to reading this. It's great so far; you know what to show, what to cut and how to game the system. Basically... keep up the good work, Neg!

I beat that thing on the Gamecube. You have savestates. Man up. :colbert:

The last few parts of it are pretty nasty though, I'll give you that much.

It's not the difficulty that's the problem with that thing, it's the tedious nature of it's length and god help you if you screw up and have to deal with the frustration of no checkpoints within that already too long length.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mrit posted:

I was trying to play along and for some bizarre reason, right after I beat Chapter 1, I stopped being able to gain star power. Its really odd, has anyone seen that before?

You probably lost your audience. There's a few things that can do it. Just continue as normal and don't repeatedly flub up your timed hits and you'll get them back.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

FoolyCharged posted:

It's not the difficulty that's the problem with that thing, it's the tedious nature of it's length and god help you if you screw up and have to deal with the frustration of no checkpoints within that already too long length.
Oh, absolutely. But again, Double Negative has access to these wonderful things that let him both put the game down to come back to later, and let him recover from gently caress-ups more easily.

Savestates are awesome, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
hope the LP is going to continue--I've really been enjoying it so far, since I have no good way of playing this game again

• Locked thread