Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

smallmouth posted:

I think the interpretation of Caleb is problematic. The apple is originally referenced in his lie to his mother. Then it's implied the witch has fed him the apple. It also obviously references the fruit/curse in Genesis. It's important that Caleb throws it up undigested--signifying his purification from original sin (recall his conversation with his father re: Samuel). Also OT Caleb is of the tribe of Judah, the favored kingdom.

Caleb's rapture is also in contrast to his mother's description of her rapture. Caleb's is genuine, while his mother's is not.

I guess the issue I had was Caleb's sin is lust and the obvious implication is that he committed some kind of sex act with the witch which left him naked and cursed, so the ecstatic nature of his "redemption" is just immediately suspect to me, especially with language about being "pierced" by Christ and all that. The double entendre in his speech read to me as devilish parody, and I didn't find his coughing up the apple as a rejection of his sin, but as evidence of his sin. Also, it doesn't make any sense to me in the cosmology of the world: this appears to be a rigid puritan moral universe. Why on earth is Caleb's sin forgiven? He does literally nothing between being ensnared by the witch and the redemption scene, he's comatose. Given Caleb's conversation with his father about Samuel's certain damnation, this isn't a just universe. I just don't see why Caleb would be redeemed, and there are too many false notes for me.

For me, Caleb is the precursor to Thomasin's joining the witch's coven. All the family are systematically tempted and they all fail, Caleb included. I don't see how Caleb is an exception, or deserves one more than the others.

I do think the argument that Caleb's redemption is genuine has merit, I'm just recalling my own personal reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm not sure about tradition symbolism, but in modern exorcism imagery, coughing up something isn't rejection of it, it's affirmation that it's inside them.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Periodiko posted:

I guess the issue I had was Caleb's sin is lust and the obvious implication is that he committed some kind of sex act with the witch which left him naked and cursed, so the ecstatic nature of his "redemption" is just immediately suspect to me, especially with language about being "pierced" by Christ and all that. The double entendre in his speech read to me as devilish parody, and I didn't find his coughing up the apple as a rejection of his sin, but as evidence of his sin. Also, it doesn't make any sense to me in the cosmology of the world: this appears to be a rigid puritan moral universe. Why on earth is Caleb's sin forgiven? He does literally nothing between being ensnared by the witch and the redemption scene, he's comatose. Given Caleb's conversation with his father about Samuel's certain damnation, this isn't a just universe. I just don't see why Caleb would be redeemed, and there are too many false notes for me.

For me, Caleb is the precursor to Thomasin's joining the witch's coven. All the family are systematically tempted and they all fail, Caleb included. I don't see how Caleb is an exception, or deserves one more than the others.

I do think the argument that Caleb's redemption is genuine has merit, I'm just recalling my own personal reaction.

I guess in a Calvinistic framework Caleb doesn't have to "deserve" anything--that's pretty much the point ("Jacob I loved and Esau I hated..."). His salvation would have been determined by God "before the foundations of the Earth."

The reason Caleb is concerned with Samuel's salvation is he was not baptized into the church. While baptism is neither required nor guarantees salvation, infant baptism and unbroken fellowship/membership in the church was a huge thing for Puritans.

I still have a hard time getting over the fruit/garden symbolism--particularly with the witch giving him the apple (the woman also gave her husband the fruit...). Although you make interesting points. I'll have to watch the film again and see if I come to a different conclusion.

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me
From a storytelling perspective I can't help but see Caleb's arc as one of redemption; you can present a malevolent universe but it creates more depth to have some bright spots as well. Wheels within wheels, man.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

The Satanism reading is really interesting. Excuse my ignorance, but how would that appear militant atheist? Why would an atheist acknowledge Satan?

It still blows my mind how fanciful the whole world seems in this movie. The only other media/text I've read about this era is stuff about the Salem witch trials. It's crazy to think that a large portion of England, and the English colonies acted like this. People of criticise other religions for being so wacky/extreme but the white/anglo religion was just as bad.

You need to watch Silicon Valley

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I just watched this last night thanks to it being $6 for the Blu-Ray during black Friday. It became apparent quickly that subtitles were necessary. I almost always turn subtitles on these days as I'm usually watching movies after the rest of the family has gone to bed.

Going into it I knew that some folks were disappointed with the movie but I didn't know much else except the basics. I really enjoyed it and thought it was a fantastic movie. I had kind of planned to watch half of it and then finish it the next day but it kept me engaged too much to turn it off.

The soundtrack was awesome. Like others had mentioned, it had the 2001 thing going on.

A few questions:
-I assume Black Phillip came with them from the village, is that correct?
-When the parents were talking about finding a good home for Thomasin, what was the specific reason for that? It half seemed like they were trying to save her from something but it seems more practical to believe they were just going to get her married and that's just what you did at the time.

It's interesting that Thomasin's name contains the word "sin".

I hope to watch it again soon.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah they were just trying to sell her off

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

yeah they were just trying to sell her off

I think part of her mom's motive was that she was jealous of Thomasin's youth and beauty.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

It also was a pretty common puritan practice at the time for someone coming of age to live and work for another family.

I don't think it's mentioned when/where they got Black Phillip. He may have been one of the things he traded for the silver cup.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'm sorry, every time someone mentions Black Phillip I'll always just think of Patrice O'Neal.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

smallmouth posted:

It also was a pretty common puritan practice at the time for someone coming of age to live and work for another family.

Do you know the reasons behind the practice? Because that sounds like she wasn't to be married but was just to live with another family for a while because...

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Do you know the reasons behind the practice? Because that sounds like she wasn't to be married but was just to live with another family for a while because...

I think it was mostly for life experience, to learn skills and such from other people. It was also done as discipline in some cases. The fact she hadn't yet lived with another family in the film was further evidence of their isolation from the community and the parents not being responsible for their children.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't tell if you're joking but lmao

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Escobarbarian posted:

I can't tell if you're joking but lmao

He's not joking, you can read about it here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

quote:

Although most Puritan families were nuclear in structure, a significant proportion of the population spent part of their lives in other families' homes, serving as apprentices, hired'laborers, or servants. At any one time, as many as a third of all Puritan households took in servants. Con- victs, the children of the poor, single men and women, and recent im- migrants were compelled by selectmen to live within existing “well Governed families" so that "disorders may bee prevented and ill weeds nipt.” For the Puritans, family ties and community ties tended to blur. In many communities, individual family members were related by birth or marriage to a large number of their neighbors. In one community, Chatham, Massachusetts, the town’s 155 families bore just thirty-four sur- names; and in Andover, Massachusetts, the descendants of one settler, George Abbott I, had by 1750 intermarried into a dozen local families. The Small size of the seventeenth-century communities, combined with high rates of marriage and remarriage, created kinship networks of astonishing complexity. In-lawsland other distant kin were generally referred toas brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, mothers, fathers, and cousins.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This is hinted at with the mother's sexual jealousy and the brother's incestuous curiosity.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Black Phillip, Black Phillip
A crown grows out his head,
To nanny queen is wed.
Jump to the fence post,
Running in the stall.
King of all.

King of sky and land,
King of sea and sand.
We are ye servants,
We are ye men.
Black Phillip eats the lions
From the lions' den.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Those kids were a good balance of annoying and unsettling. At first when Caleb is in his ecstasy I figured they were just fooling around to get attention because they're brats.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I watched this last night. I didn't love it but I thought it was cool and I would definitely recommend it to other people like me who are too wimpy for many horror movies, because it's mostly about atmosphere and the couple of jump scare type moments are massively telegraphed SPOOKY REVEALs. Really beautifully shot and great music, which people haven't talked about much in this thread (though I have a few pages left to read). I did need subtitles though, between the dialect and the quietness of their voices (especially when the kids are listening through the wall when they're supposed to be asleep).

I also could not stop thinking of parallels to The Shining. Besides the obvious seductress turning out to be an evil hag scene, you've got a family living in isolation driven mad by supernatural forces, repeated use of an axe, creepy twins, abnormal communication, etc. I'm probably missing some things. Maybe those are just horror tropes and I'm not that well versed.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

A crown grows out his head,
To nanny queen is wed.
Jump to the fence post,
Running in the stall.
King of all.

King of sky and land,
King of sea and sand.
We are ye servants,
We are ye men.
Black Phillip eats the lions
From the lions' den.

:same:

Henchman of Santa posted:

I watched this last night. I didn't love it but I thought it was cool and I would definitely recommend it to other people like me who are too wimpy for many horror movies, because it's mostly about atmosphere and the couple of jump scare type moments are massively telegraphed SPOOKY REVEALs. Really beautifully shot and great music, which people haven't talked about much in this thread (though I have a few pages left to read). I did need subtitles though, between the dialect and the quietness of their voices (especially when the kids are listening through the wall when they're supposed to be asleep).

I also could not stop thinking of parallels to The Shining. Besides the obvious seductress turning out to be an evil hag scene, you've got a family living in isolation driven mad by supernatural forces, repeated use of an axe, creepy twins, abnormal communication, etc. I'm probably missing some things. Maybe those are just horror tropes and I'm not that well versed.

Yeah i liked the music a lot. I also like your Shining parallels - might not be intentional but who cares.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I didn't notice the similarities to The Shining while I was watching it. It was only after the fact, when I saw it mentioned in reviews, did I make the connection. People mention specifically that the atmosphere of dread was reminiscent of The Shining, but while I was watching, the movie it reminded me of more than anything else was Antichrist. Tonally and thematically, I can't not look at them as sort of companion movies now.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Put off watching this until today and drat am I glad I did. I loved it.

Particularly awesome: the way it uses colour. The piercing white on every highlight, the gradations of gray to black, and red, of course, but then the vibrant colours of the ending/ceremony slowly bleeding in as it all comes to a point are just beautiful.

The scene with the crow, holy poo poo. Amazing.

Also, this movie made me think a lot about "The White Ribbon" - both are stark, monolithic, ambiguous examinations of guilt, doubt, faith and morality - not to mention the weird morality unique to children - in historical settings.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 23, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Partner and I watched this last night, and I was interested up 'til the goat was the devil. Totally lost interest in that last 5 minutes. So many other ways it could have gone that I would have been on board for. What happened with the rabbit? A lot of setup that went no where. Also, it didn't really expose or cover what happened with the twins. Loved the cinematography and soundtrack, but the dialogue levels were bad (I had to keep changing the volume on my tv to hear the dialogue).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

As a guy who grew up on a farm with goats anyone who willingly works with Black Phillip and any of his billy goat ilk deserve anything they get. Billys are assholes.

Serious question, why not cut the horns?

• Locked thread