Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

this new 5g fucktard thread is nice i like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

when i was in miami beach last month my phone on AT&T had great service while my gf's on t-mo didn't work at all

:thumbsup:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

DaNzA posted:

eh I only notice it because when I try to send like a photo on iMessage when I'm in a crowded area but with good signal it just heats up the phone get stuck on the last bit of 'sending'

so I check the band out of curiosity and it shows band 13, and toggling the airplane mode lets the phone get onto band 4 and everything goes through again but the phone only shows one to two bars of signal

eventually it automatically switches back to band 13 with great signal but everything are timing out again

every loving time

sounds like your phone and carrier are pieces of poo poo

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

i literally hate phone calls ityool2016 primarily because call quality is 10% of what it was ityool1996

HDVoice is 80% of the reason I'm switching to AT&T. gently caress linear prediction 4kbps signals, gently caress 64kbps pots signals, it's HDVoice time with the warmest soundstage this side of Bonaroo :smugmrgw:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
when i take a walk on the embarcadero in sf my phone (Google nexus four, the good phone) goes from having full LTE or 3G signal to either nothing or an EDGE signal that can't actually be used for anything despite supposedly good reception

what heck, tmob???

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Hed posted:

HDVoice is 80% of the reason I'm switching to AT&T. gently caress linear prediction 4kbps signals, gently caress 64kbps pots signals, it's HDVoice time with the warmest soundstage this side of Bonaroo :smugmrgw:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

mishaq posted:

sounds like your phone and carrier are pieces of poo poo
mlyp

or every other carrier and phones basically, some are just a bit less bad than others

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my epic phablet the nexus 6p on google fi is pumping out epic gs of pwnage power.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

DaNzA posted:

mlyp

or every other carrier and phones basically, some are just a bit less bad than others

unlike your posts (theyre all bad)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

my epic phablet the nexus 6p on google fi is pumping out epic gs of pwnage power.

:same:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Stymie posted:

i'm honestly surprised anyone cares about call drops/quality any more because virtually nobody uses smartphones to make actual phone calls

a lot of people actively discourage others from calling in favor of texting

calling someone is rude, imo, expecting to talk RIGHT NOW

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

atomicthumbs posted:

(Google nexus four,

LTE

*nods sagely*

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

*nods sagely*

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kwinkles posted:

i have at&t and i live across the street from a 3000 capacity music venue and yeah sometimes i get dropped calls when there's a show going on

yeah, at my university they were introducing these micro hotspots at the football stadium that only covered like 100 sq ft but they had like 10,000 of them so the overall load per node was minimal

i think the NFL was looking at integrating them into new stadiums as well

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

computer parts posted:

yeah, at my university they were introducing these micro hotspots at the football stadium that only covered like 100 sq ft but they had like 10,000 of them so the overall load per node was minimal

i think the NFL was looking at integrating them into new stadiums as well

nah, new construction use DASes

a bunch of small cells would make more sense for a retrofit i guess, but a bunch in a small space introduces a large amount of complexity

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

maniacdevnull posted:

*nods sagely*

it works perfectly except for getting a bit obnoxiously warm and draining my battery

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pointsofdata posted:

trick question, the fastest thing is the bill increase letters

The three different tiers of 4g are all the same price, it just depends what you get the closer you are to a major city.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Beeftweeter posted:

when i was in miami beach last month my phone on AT&T had great service while my gf's on t-mo didn't work at all

I'm going to Miami beach tomorrow and have AT&T so this is good to know

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

maniacdevnull posted:

*nods sagely*

Only I may do that

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

atomicthumbs posted:

it works perfectly except for getting a bit obnoxiously warm and draining my battery

Oh I know, I ran mine on LTE for a while

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
about 49 meters per second per second

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Smythe posted:

pure. pwnage.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

epic thissery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Bloody posted:

i have ever even considered speed testing my cellphone

• Locked thread