Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Post it on the second page. Hopefully we can reach it, sooner rather than later. Also post everything you got, hit us with your best shot. We lived through Book of Shadows, how can this possibly get any worse. :v:

Edit: Yay! Second page~!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

These new characters are great! Just...great... :cripes:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

GodofDiscord posted:

Also post everything you got, hit us with your best shot. We lived through Book of Shadows, how can this possibly get any worse. :v:

I want you to remember this later tonight tomorrow. (720p videos take a long-rear end time to encode)

Also, Corpse Party is out on Steam as of this week. It's the PC version that the first PSP game was based on, so it's a good one. It also has some extra stuff in Chapter 5, since that came out after the PSP game, originally.

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 28, 2016

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Hamsterlady posted:

Also, Corpse Party is out on Steam as of this week. It's the PC version that the first PSP game was based on, so it's a good one. It also has some extra stuff in Chapter 5, since that came out after the PSP game, originally.

So does that mean everyone gets to enjoy the pool insect scene in all its localized glory? :haw: I read through the text boxes for that part in Japanese a couple years ago, and... wow. Even if you're not entomophobic...

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Wow, the timing for this is really spot on. Was just talking to a friend about watching the live action movie the other day, then I find out Corpse Party has a PC port AND this thread is a thing too. Speaking of though, does anyone know how the anime and live action adaptations are? Also, really excited to see this thread, I didn't even know there was a conclusion to the story further than the first game, though as other people have stated the general tone of this one feels a bit more anime. The new characters feel a bit out of place compared to the more "grounded" setting the first game had.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Really enjoyed your last two LPs, so here's another voice in the chorus pushing us along to the next page.

It's really unique that they went with binaural sound. It's hard to think of any other games that do, and even then it wouldn't be appropriate for a Mario game or anything. You'd think it would've been expensive to do it that way, too...

e: Oh, we're here already. Teaches me to leave tabs open!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

It's really unique that they went with binaural sound. It's hard to think of any other games that do, and even then it wouldn't be appropriate for a Mario game or anything. You'd think it would've been expensive to do it that way, too...

From what I understand, they use a specialty mic that's basically a mannequin head with two microphones for ears. A few of the Soulful Testimonies in Book of Shadows described it as "creepy" and "weird"

Not sure how expensive it is. Equipment wise I'd imagine the same mixer and everything would work, it just takes double the microphones and a dummy head or two. Not all of the audio is binaural though, just a number of specific sound effects and lines. The rest is all normal stereo. (Though they pick their binaural bits well; you don't really miss it in the stuff that doesn't have it.)

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.
So very glad to see this.
Let's ride this adventure out in a blaze of friendship, magic and ideally some sort of mascot character - maybe Ribbons 'Murderface' McGee?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I was trying to think of what this was reminding me of, and I realised it's Umineko. You start off with a relatively straightforward horror, then things take a sharp turn and suddenly there are weirdly-dressed girls everywhere. Which is kind of a pity, since the tone of the first one was what I liked about it, but I guess I'm in this until the bitter end :v:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Music: Condemned Apartments

This is the place, all right. "Shimorenjaku South Apartments."

I'd expect apartments in this condition to get torn down, rather than just...left to rot. Does anyone even manage this building?

And now we're put into control. But this time it's for actual gameplay! The candles work exactly like they did in Blood Covered. They're save points that fully restore your HP.

There's not really much to see here, so we approach the entrance to the apartments and check out the mailboxes.

Some, in fact, are just plain rotted out entirely, or the slots for them are rusted over. They look like props from a horror movie.

(No Makina Shinozaki here...I think. I should check one of the other stairwells.)

We can't go up the stairwell here, so we head west past the candle. There's nothing at all to the east.

(I hate feeling so conspicuous. It puts me completely on edge...)
(If a door should suddenly open and somebody yells at me for being here, I think I'll probably just drop dead on the spot.)

Music: None
Sound Effect: Footsteps

When a person gets truly startled, she's unable to move due to the combination of fear and...well, being put on the spot. It's like she's been planted to the ground. It may be human nature, but I hated not being in control of my actions. Nonetheless, there I was...a sitting duck, just waiting for someone to come down the stairs.

...Except, no one did. The seconds ticked on, but I was pretty definitively the only one here.

Ayumi approaches the stairwell.

She takes a couple more steps towards the stairs, and...

Sound Effect: Mailbox

A mailbox suddenly opens, all on its own.

The bottom layer of this stack had turned an unpleasant shade of brown. It may have just been from years of settling debris, but...if that were the case, it shouldn't have been THAT dark.

Wh-What's in there...?

I slowly unwrapped the tissue, morbidly curious as to what I might find inside. It was only then that I noticed the inside of the mailbox itself, which was stained a deep crimson. It looked a whole lot like...blood...

...?!

Ayumi drops the bird and jumps backwards, landing on her butt.

And slowly rises to her feet.

*pant* *pant* *wheeze* *gulp*

We're put back into control and head up the stairwell, as we've found the correct building.

Video: Shimorenjaku Apartments
(Gameplay tutorial edited out of video, but presented in screenshots)

Aah! Wh-What's going on? Is someone there?!

*pant* *pant* I...I must be hearing things...
Wh-Where's my flashlight...?

Ayumi turns on her flashlight and spins around to look at the door behind her.

*pant* *pant* *pant*

Nnng...
(Guess I'll just...have to hold it.)

Hey... I dunno if you know this...but Makoto Kedouin likes pee and people needing to pee but not having access to a bathroom.

Blood Drive's first plot twist!

Anyway! We're put into control briefly, and are introduced to the first new gameplay mechanic of Blood Drive: the flashlight! You can mostly see fine without it, but turning it on allows you to see more details, and in particular, makes it much much easier to see hazards (which we won't be encountering until the next chapter.)

However! Keeping your flashlight on drains its battery. As the battery runs low, the light will begin to flicker, eventually going out entirely. Using a Battery item will refresh your flashlight's battery.

Everyone hates this mechanic. In fact, it was so poorly received, that...

...about a week after the Japanese release of Blood Drive, they pushed out a patch that added Endless Battery mode. By hitting the Select button, your flashlight will no longer lose battery power. This feature was in the English release from the beginning.

I can definitely see why people dislike the battery mechanic, since it punishes the player for exploring thoroughly or getting lost. But honestly, I played through with Endless Battery turned off and always had two or three spare batteries whenever I ran out of power, and I was very thorough when exploring. They shower you with batteries (though maybe a part of that was because I was so thorough, I found them all)

For the purpose of the LP and ensuring that you, my dear readers, can see what's going on at all times, I will be playing with Endless Battery turned on.

We examine Makina Shinozaki's apartment door. If we examine the other door, it's rusted shut and will not open.

Excuse me...

There's a doorbell on the wall nearby.

*gulp*

Sound: Doorbell

Guess there's no power...

I took a deep breath, mentally prepared myself for what I was about to attempt, and grabbed the steel doorknob.

Sound Effect: Vibration

*pant* *pant* M-My phone...? God, don't scare me like that!
Who would be calling me at this hour...? ...Huh? Unknown number? H-Hello...?

...?!

What the hell?!

What? ...What?!
Is my phone on the fritz or something...? God...
Rrrrg...

Sound Effect: Door

Aah! It's open!

The door opens, and Ayumi heads inside...

VIDEO ENDS HERE

Side note: the Japanese word for "four," - "shi" - can also mean "death." Ayumi's phone displaying the number 4 over and over is basically the Japanese equivalent of if her phone displayed "666"

Hellooo...?

(Ulgh... It's so dusty...)
(How many years has it been since somebody actually lived here...?)
*deep breath* *deep breath*
Is anyone...h-home...?
(Should I...take off my shoes?)

Ayumi, what the hell are you doing, you're in a filthy apartment that hasn't been inhabited for probably a decade at least. Don't take your shoes off

...!
(That was totally...a voice...)

*gasp*
(...! Th-That's right...)
(I need to learn from my mistakes...at Yoshie Shinozaki's house.)
(...This time...I've come prepared...with the voice recorder Sis used for her research...)

*deep breath* *deep breath*
*sigh* ...I'm fine. I can do this... *sigh* ...I've been to...that school...and that house...

To give more context to that date, the first game took place on October 27th, 2008. So this is very slightly less than one month after Ayumi's visit to Heavenly Host.

We're put into control here and begin exploring Makina's apartment.

Open it
Don't touch it

It's a Japanese-style toilet. Fortunately, despite the condition of the apartment building in general, it seems to be a modern and fully functioning non-septic model, without any foul smell.

(I wonder...if the wayer is still on.)
(Even if it is, the roar of flushing water would be really disconcerting right now...)

(Why do I have to pee at a time like this? What the hell is wrong with me?)

Use the toilet
Hold it

*moan* (I can't... I really have to go. If I don't, I'm afraid I'll wet myself...)

The main reason I'm showing this optional scene is so I can share this anecdote: the above screenshot was one of the first screenshots of Blood Drive that Kedouin released. This is also honestly probably the most uncomfortable (in terms of perviness) screenshot in the entire game, in my opinion.

I also picked that option because I like to show every scene, and choosing to hold it just results in Ayumi leaving the bathroom and refusing to re-enter.

It was kind of absurd, but I almost felt like I was infiltrating the deepest chambers of an enemy base.

*pant*... *pant*... *whimper*... (I'm so nervous...it just won't come out...) *whimper*

Sound Effect: Trickle

With what sounded like my own relieved voice echoing back at me from the walls, I thought I'd finally done my business...buy my bladder still felt completely full.

...?! I haven't got anything out at all...

(Wh-What is this?! Blood...? It's not...dripping from the ceiling or anything...)

Sound Effect: Slit

It immediately brought to mind somebody slitting her wrists.

...N-No... I can't...

Ayumi immediately flees from the room.

Ayumi refuses to return to the bathroom, and she also refuses to leave the apartment, so there's only one way for us to go from here.

(The way Yamamura was talking, Makina Shinozaki is dead. But her appliances still seem to be completely intact...)
(Has anyone even been in here since her passing?)
*whimper* (Dammit, this is scary!)

We're put into control and start investigating the kitchen.

(Guess that clinches it. This is definitely Makina Shinozaki's apartment.)

Geeeh!

We head over to the fridge to investigate the photo that mysteriously slid down a couple inches.

Though blurry and hard to make out, it seemed to be of a forest thick with mist...along with one additional detail that made it much worse.

Sound Effect: Photo

(N-No... I... I want to go home! I'm scared! ...Clues... I'm looking for clues...but where? How?!)
(I don't even know what I'm looking for, do I...? I'll just try to take some of Makina's things back with me, I guess. As many as I can carry.)

It doesn't come across super well in still images, but the photo on the table fell over, making a sound that startles Ayumi.

We're put back into control and continue to investigate the kitchen.

There aren't really any signs of food anywhere, however. Maybe Makina didn't eat much...

Investigating the fridge again just shows the photo of the noose, and "There's nothing of interest" on the shelves to the north of the fridge.

With our exploration of the kitchen complete, we proceed into the next room...

There's a sparkly thing on the table here. The game gives us a quick tutorial that basically amounts to "Shiny things are items, pick them up.

Sound: Item Acquisition

This item is just batteries. Even if we weren't playing in Endless Battery mode, these would be worthless because you'd have to just leave the game idling with the light on to run out of battery in Chapter 00.

(...There are... I can't take these. I wonder if there are any dependents listed, though... Or if there's anything else in here. Let's see... Ah! Photographs!)

Ayumi has got some weird morals. Breaking into a dead woman's home, using her toilet, and ransacking the place is fine, but she draws the line at stealing official documents.

(Is this...Makina?)

The next photograph showed a different woman smiling widely. Her clothes were actually quite beautiful, and her eyes looked almost lifelike on the paper, like they could suck you in. I flipped through each of the remaining pictures, seeing mostly just more of the same. Until...

"Makina, Raki and Yoshie in Yokohama"

(Yoshie Shinozaki... That's Sachiko's mother! So does that mean this girl is...?)

Yoshie was a cute baby. Glad she didn't have the 90 degree neck problem back then.

We're kind of unceremoniously dumped back into control. There's no more to that photo, just "could it be...?"

We investigate the cabinet directly next to the chest of drawers.

It was a small, white box made out of paper. So small, in fact, that it fit in the palm of my hand with room to spare. It was light as a feather, too.

Open the box
Put it back

Aaaah...!
(Why is there another one in here?!)
(I have to...pick it up, but...I really don't want to!) *whimper* *whimper*

Ayumi continues to have the most bizarre priorities.

*moan* I'm sorry... I'm sorry!

I closed my eyes and put my hands together, saying a little prayer for the poor animal. I then left the box where it lay and got back to my feet.

Makina's extensive dead bird collection.

There's nothing else in the living room, so we head yet deeper into Makina's apartment.

This is a pretty nice place. Not a bad size for a single occupant.

Video: Bedroom
(This video covers the remainder of the update.)

...!

Its top cover was convexed, just as it would be if someone were sleeping beneath it. In fact, that's exactly what it looked like...almost unmistakably. And right on top of it sat a perfect cube of a box, about ten centimeters across on all sides and bright red like a Shinto "torii" gate.

...Which would've been a lot more interesting if I weren't still scared out of my mind by the thought that there might've been someone under that cover this whole time...

*whimper*

(It won't open... ...?!)

The corner of the room begins to smoke oddly, and Ayumi quickly pulls out her flashlight and shines it in that direction.

*wheeze* Aah... Aah!

There were no signs of life nor detail anywhere along the shadowy figure except in those eyes. But those eyes...were very much alive. They were undeniably the eyes of a human.

Eeeeek!

Music: Spirit of my Heart

Ayumi scrambles to her feet and runs for the door as the figure starts to slowly approach her.

As if in response to my worst fears, I'd suddenly caught sight of a small girl in a black dress, standing right in front of me.

AAAAAAAAAH!!

...But not just me! There was a black shadow behind me, and it was coming closer!

*pant* *gasp* GYEH!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

I was completely enshrouded in darkness, as if whatever I'd seen had fully enveloped me.

No...! No! NO!!

Ayumi takes off running into the darkness

And she trips over something.

...?!

I'd stepped on something soft and squishy. Unconsciously, I paused for a split second, pondering what it may have been...but my de facto conclusion was, I don't care -- I need to get the hell out of here!

Ayumi continues running around the room until she comes to the door.

Aah! Aahh...!
Why is it locked?! I don't remember locking it! No, please, not now! Open! OPEN!!

Feeling around along the glass door's surface, I finally found what seemed to be a handle. I tried in vain to turn it, only to realize I couldn't...because...

*gasp* What?! Why won't my right hand open?!

I didn't have to ask, though. I could feel it...and see it. My right hand was being clasped shut by the tiny, ghostly hands of a white-hued child.

Gah! Huh?! Aaah!

I shook my arm violently, and the white apparition faded from sight...

...?!

Gah! Why? Why can't I open it?!

I had to get out of there. That was paramount. Clenched fist or no, I needed to leave before something worse happened. Panicked, I flung open the glass door...

Aah...?!
...Why?! This should be the way out! *pant* *wheeze* Aaaah?!

Ayumi climbs to her feet, and a ghost appears behind her.

Upon noticing it, Ayumi stumbles backwards in shock.

...!
Nggggh...

I fell back, completely sick to my stomach. My heart was pounding so hard and so fast, I was convinced I was going to have a heart attack and die. At the very least, I knew I was about to lose consciousness.

As if to confirm just how "done for" I was, my nose began bleeding profusely. I had no doubt at all anymore. This was the end.

And Ayumi collapses.

Snap out of it!
Class rep!

Kishinuma moved my worn, limp body onto the tatami flooring and carefully sat me up. I regained consciousness right away. And I was immediately met with the worried gazes of Kishinuma, Mochida, and Nakashima.

Thank goodness you're safe...

Nakashima wiped tears from her eyes.

You guys...

I was so relieved...so very relieved to see my friends...I started crying as well.

...! I-I...I had to. I just...had to.
Why?!
Kishinuma...
Satoshi...?
Let's leave this to Yoshiki.

The cause of what?!
Everything! Everything's my fault! All our friends are gone because of me! Even Sis... Even she's gone!

I was sobbing like a baby. My face must have been a mess, and my voice came out hoarse and in short bursts.

...How is this "your fault"?

How can you possibly take sole responsibility for that?!
*hic* *hic*
Hey... We're a team, Shinozaki. You know that, right?
*sniffle* Mm...

Well, if you know that...
...then don't forget it! Stop taking everything on yourself!
Let me put it to you real simple. Don't you ever think for a second...not even one second...
...that this is all your fault!
Kishinuma...
You're not to blame! Okay?! So stop blaming yourself, dammit!
Kishi...numa...
Everybody else here feels the same way too...right?
Yeah. Yoshiki's right.
He's exactly right. You shouldn't always try to take everything on by yourself.

...I just...couldn't...I couldn't do anything...
God...you are so dense! That's what I'm trying to tell you here. You did good! Just don't do it again. Not without us.
I'm...dense? That's mean...
Ah...no...that's not exactly what I meant...
*sniffle* ...Thank...you... *sniffle*

We're the ones who made it out. We have no choice but to come to terms with what happened. It's a part of us now.
We don't have to accept it, though.
Yeah. We can still fight this. We can try to set things right, even if only by the slimmest of margins.
*sniffle* *sniffle*
I think it's fair to say that we all feel the same way you do, class rep.
*sob*

...?

I didn't recognize the voice at all, and was a little perturbed that no one else seemed startled by it. It belonged to a girl I'd never seen before, wearing an unusual outfit.

You must be Ayumi Shinozaki. I'm glad to see no harm has befallen you.
Who are you...?

Shinozaki, this is the person who tipped us off about where you were headed and led us here. Her name's Aiko Niwa.

Music: Strange Proposal

As the little sister of Hinoe Shinozaki...I suppose the quickest way to explain would be to say that I'm a friend of Naho Saenoki's.
...! A friend of Naho's?! ...And you...know Sis, too?
Yes. Your sister, Hinoe, made quite a name for herself in this plane.
Ayumi. Your right hand. Are you not able to open it?
...!

My right hand had been clasped shut this whole time. I'd almost forgotten about it. I tried to open it again, but still couldn't.

...No, I can't...

Kishinuma grabbed my hand and tried to pry my fingers open.

Ghhh... OW!! That hurts!
There's no point in forcing it. It should open naturally, when the time is right. You just need to be patient.
...Oh... And what's this, now?

She attempted to open the box for just a moment, but her efforts proved to be in vain, just as mine were.

This is rather intriguing. Like your hand, it simply refuses to show us what it contains. How fascinating.

Aiko was mesmerized by the unopening box. She seemed desperate to understand what force kept it sealed -- almost giddy at the unspoken prospects of what it could mean.

Such spiritual energy... This is wonderful! May I hold onto this, if only for tonight? I believe I might be able to open it once I've returned home!
...O-Okay...

Well, it's getting late tonight. Let's talk more tomorrow, shall we? I'll come meet you after school.

Music: Salvation

...After I returned home, I stood in front of my mirror and just kept trying to open my right hand. I put every bit of strength and energy I had into it.

Nnnngghh...Oww...
Nnnnngggggghhh...!

...?!

Very small baby teeth. Two of them. The roots of each tooth were embedded deep within my palm, and I was bleeding quite a bit as a result.

Why... Why are there...baby teeth...in my hand...?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

You know, this update really doesn't seem that scary. The only ghost that should be haunting there is Makina Shinozaki, and when you see her ghost, you realize that she is the woman that tried to warn Ms. Yui in Book of Shadows, meaning that she is a good guy, and since we know she is good, the events seem more like she is trying to warn Ayumi rather than harm her.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
That text makes it perfect. I don't know if I should laugh at that joke or be horrified.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ah, the unintentional hilarity is back. :allears:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

BlazeEmblem posted:

You know, this update really doesn't seem that scary. The only ghost that should be haunting there is Makina Shinozaki, and when you see her ghost, you realize that she is the woman that tried to warn Ms. Yui in Book of Shadows, meaning that she is a good guy, and since we know she is good, the events seem more like she is trying to warn Ayumi rather than harm her.

There was what sounded to be a domestic fight right before Ayumi found the door, so maybe something happened there to create more ghosts? Hell, it's probably just Spooky Japan striking again.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DeliciousCookie posted:

Wow, the timing for this is really spot on. Was just talking to a friend about watching the live action movie the other day, then I find out Corpse Party has a PC port AND this thread is a thing too. Speaking of though, does anyone know how the anime and live action adaptations are? Also, really excited to see this thread, I didn't even know there was a conclusion to the story further than the first game, though as other people have stated the general tone of this one feels a bit more anime. The new characters feel a bit out of place compared to the more "grounded" setting the first game had.

They made a live action movie of Corpse Party? I can only imagine it was terrible, but what kind intrigues me.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

DeliciousCookie posted:

Speaking of though, does anyone know how the anime and live action adaptations are?

I had no idea there was a live action one, but I've seen the anime. It's... hard to say. I liked a lot of it, but it's just too short. It really needed more episodes to cover everything, and it goes by too quick, leaving out some parts (I'm failing to recall specifics). The biggest problem, though, is that its ending is... awful. It's abrupt, unsatisfying, and poorly thought out. It's a completely new ending that just doesn't fit in, as far as I'm concerned. I can't say I really recommend it.

As a side note, I only just realized something kind of interesting; people who never went to Heavenly Host still remember Naho. Is there something earlier that I missed, or in the comic that explains it, or what?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

azren posted:

As a side note, I only just realized something kind of interesting; people who never went to Heavenly Host still remember Naho. Is there something earlier that I missed, or in the comic that explains it, or what?

They brought it up in Book of Shadows, but never gave a reason for it in that game. Presumably it will be explained in this game.

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.

BlazeEmblem posted:

They brought it up in Book of Shadows, but never gave a reason for it in that game. Presumably it will be explained in this game.

Blogs last forever maybe? I look forward to if it ever gets explained or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
Naho's blog still exists.

• Locked thread