Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Liquid Communism posted:

At least around here, they're just going from suburbs to exurbs.

It's pissing me off locally as a bunch of land that used to be nice fields is now lovely McCountryMansions on a acre each.

Yup, this is pretty much a nationwide phenomenon. The shift in momentum was mostly during the immediate aftermath of the 2008 recession, and now older milllenials who can afford to do so are moving even farther from the cities. Part of the problem is that new business formation (and the startup job growth that goes along with it) is only really occurring in a very small number of places, so most cities aren't seeing the kind of growth that you get in the tech hubs. A lot of purely economic trends have been attributed to cultural shifts in the aftermath of the financial crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

punk rebel ecks posted:

One of my friend's is Tom Barret's nephew in law. He claims that Tom is a good man and didn't want to run against Walker during the recount, but only did so in order for the state not to turn gently caress over.

Tom Barret's do-over was one of the factors that depressed democratic turnover for the recall. There was a wide perception that the recall became about the dems being sore losers. If Tom Barret's motivation for stepping in again was a fear that otherwise Walker would win, he basically guaranteed Walker's victory. The Wisconsin Dems have done badly in recent times because they've become ineffective centrists and Barret is perceived as a living manifestation of that.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Tom Barret's do-over was one of the factors that depressed democratic turnover for the recall. There was a wide perception that the recall became about the dems being sore losers. If Tom Barret's motivation for stepping in again was a fear that otherwise Walker would win, he basically guaranteed Walker's victory. The Wisconsin Dems have done badly in recent times because they've become ineffective centrists and Barret is perceived as a living manifestation of that.

Maybe it is evidence of how disconnected the party is?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Well, lets run a crazy cat lady or maybe one of those homeless guys. The sane people know better.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

One of my job prospects is at a plant in Waukesha and I'm unsurprised that it turns out to be a lily-white suburb of an actual city. Close enough to take advantage of the breweries, far enough to avoid contributing a penny of taxes, I suppose?

There's taxes, but you are mistaken if you think it's a lily-white suburb of an actual city.

It is a blazing, 5800+ degree Kelvin white star of white suburb of the rapidly collapsing city next to it.

You could put a KKK member with an (R) next to his name up against any democrat and the only question would be whether he would get 70 or 80% of the vote.

And thanks to gerrymandering, it is unsullied by the votes of Milwaukee for any race other than governor/president, despite being immediately next door.

Also is home to Slenderman's disciples.

• Locked thread