Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

... starring ...
... Nessus as SVR cultural attache/assassin Lena Valentinova Galkin "Jackdaw" ...
... Tyrannosaurus as Belfast cop and transporter Conor Mackenna "Wolfhound" ...
... GenuineRevelry as Shin Bet HumInt profiler Faiza al-Din "Gallu" ...
... Halloween Jack as retired MI6 case officer George Douglas Wyndham "Witchcraft" ...
... Davin Valkri as ex-FBI Special Agent Vasilica Pacepa "Pivot" ...
... potatocubed as ex-MI5 bang-and-burner Suzanne Hollister "Jericho" ...
... thelazyblank as DCRI special consultant Charlotte Rousseaux "Curie" ...
... Mors Rattus as genius polymath and burned asset Wilhelm Adalwulf Schmitt "the Bavarian" ...

This is the out-of-character discussion thread, for questions, mechanics, and also analyzing the Dracula Dossier proper itself. Please make your first post on this thread your character sheet for reference purposes, and the one posted will be "final" one for the time being, wherein you can keep it updated with Known Associates, any History or other details as you see fit.

The Play is the Thing

There's a few general considerations for adapting Night's Black Agents and the Dracula Dossier campaign to Play-by-Post I'd like to briefly touch on.

• Sessions to Episodes: The concept of a Session is replaced with an Episode, which is more just when I open the episode, and then when I close it. Generally I'll use it to shift the narrative slightly, open up to a new scene, and I'm also fond of "cut-aways" to give the players a glimpse at what's happening elsewhere, that their characters may not be privy to (yet). After all this is a thriller, not a mystery. An Operation is still an Operation, spanning from 1-5 episodes in an arc.
  • Refreshes: Related to above, you will refresh Investigative Abilities in between each operation, so they will be in a large way how I'll gauge the ramping up of action. The more you spend, the closer you'll get to the climax, as a general rule. As a reminder, you refresh General Abilities the following ways: Fully refresh in between each operation, physical abilities (Shooting, Weapons, Hand to Hand, Driving, Athletics, Piloting) refresh 24 hours after your last use of that ability, Health refreshes 2 per day of rest (unless seriously wounded) or from Medic spends, Stability refreshes according to your Sources of Stability or from Shrink spends, you may earn a 1- or 2-point refresh from following your Drive (your real one) into danger or story complication, from spending Investigative Abilities on Tactical Fact-Finding Benefits, fully refresh 2-4 abilities when you attempt your escape from being captured and interrogated, resting at a haven one per Episode for three full refreshes, by qualifying for an "Achievement", and finally once per Operation per General Ability at 8+ you can perform a "stunt" where you go into elaborate detail about your action in an impressive and genre-savvy way (you should actively say you are performing a stunt) and earn a 3- or 4-point refresh. This is a catch-all replacement to Technothriller Monologue and the rest, and applies to all General Abilities except Cover, Network, Health and Stability, but you still follow the general guidelines in the ones published (for example, a Preparedness stunt is reacting to an unexpected event as if you had planned for it all along).
  • Player Facing: As a general rule there will be no contested rolls save between players, and very rare cases against potent NPCs. I will try and provide the Difficulty for all tests except Sense Trouble (which is always unknown) so you can both roll and then post the basic result, and add your narrative twist (see Agency below). Hit me up on IRC or Skype or PM if you have an idea in mind you want a Difficulty for, or just suggest it in your post and I'll provide. When against Opposing Forces, I'll provide you their basic stats as well, to keep things well oiled.
  • Initiative: This is more a general rule than the actual mechanics of initiative, but whenever I provide a prompt, it's fine to continue posting and expanding on each other but general don't take more than one major action (that would constitute a test or Investigative spend) until everyone else has taken an action, or 48 hours has passed after the prompt at which point I'll generally move on to keep things rolling. Thrillers are about sharing the spotlight where everyone should strive to contribute fully to the group, though it's fine to actively take a backseat sometimes. In combat, at the end of each Round I'll usually provide a recap so please wait for that. As well, unless given prior notice, or myself getting delayed, your turn will be skipped after 24 hours. Be aware of Jumping In and the use of Trust and other mechanics: I'll usually give at least 12 hours after a post before I respond so people can add their Trust or Jump In or whatever.
  • Clues: Here's a big one though it's a simple rule: You will find the clues you need to in GUMSHOE, but it does require you be active. Include in brackets the Investigative Ability you are wanting to use, either as an OOC aside or amid your posts, and please bold it as a preference. As per above, unless there's really good reason otherwise, each post should be for just one ability to give everyone a chance to explore an angle. If your ability pings a clue, you'll get it, unless it requires a spend, after which you'll get some flavor and you folks can decide who wants to spend to "finish it." Finally, spending for TFFB or the like I leave very much open. If you want ideas, I am glad to give them, but this is ample ground for you to exercise creativity. Just give me an idea of what you are looking for and I'll give you an idea of what it would be before you commit to spend.
  • Agency: I'm a "yes, and" Director when I can help it, and I fully encourage you to add details to scenes, spin up stories and connections, and draw things together. If you want to recognize the elite Vulturii commando as an old nemesis, give him a name and a bit of personality if it hasn't been established already, please do. The only limit is that if it gives your character an advantage, it should be a spend of the proper Investigative Ability as a Tactical Fact-Finding Benefit. As well, take care to not contradict what has already been established already, not just myself, but more especially other players. Everyone should get an equal chance at making the story.
  • Bibliomancy: So a big core of this game in particular comes with the Dracula Dossier proper. I have begun the process of creating a collaborative document for everyone to share and comment on, and I encourage very much everyone to participate and draw clues from it. A big deal in this game is that while I have a map of setting details and plots, the story is entirely driven by the clues and connections you folks focus on and follow. The Dossier provides a basis for a good amount of that. That being said, don't feel pressured to contribute any more than you like. I tried to set the expectation that it'll be a important part, but you don't have to fully map out a pinboard of conspiracy connections. That being said, there is a mechanical advantage to doing so on those. See Adversary Mapping and Dracula Dossier below.
  • Experience: You'll get 1 XP at the end of each Episode. You will get a bonus 2 XP at the end of each Operation. These may be spent as build points for General or Investigative Abilities. Remember that Cover and Network can only be refreshed with XP, and you can only earn more Trust than your starting 5 points by spending XP. Additionally, consider Tag-Team Tactical Benefits, or Special Weapons Training. You may spend the XP any time in play, though if it's not between operations, it may be best as a flashback, but it should be incorporated in-character. Further, you may 'retrain' 1-2 points in between each operation and switch them around. Similarly, you may shift 1 point of Trust in between each operation as well.

And remember...

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Adversary Mapping

The closest equivalent to an actual physical corkboard I was able to find is Realtime Board. You can use this as much or as little as you like, unguided by myself, though there is a mechanical benefit to doing so. For every connection draw from a non-player character to another character, locale, organization or other node, you may gain 2 pool points to spend in any operation against that individual.

If you would like IMINT or the like from myself of characters, locales, or the like in-game, let me know! I like to provide them in a slightly diegetic way, as passports, ID cards, or snapshots your characters themselves took or procured. This may also provide a nice visual way to keep track of the Conspiracy thus far, as well as the Clues you have found.

Trust

Instead of the rules provided in the book, a slightly modified version of Trust will be used. You will start with 6 points of Trust, which you can assign to other characters in play. Trust is spent by the recipient, not the giver, but it may be reassigned in between Operations.

Like any other ability, Trust has a rating and a pool. The pool refreshes in between any Operation, and may not be refreshed any other way. Trust is used in the following ways.

• Spending a pool point of Trust can give you +1 bonus to a roll. You should explain how the other's trust gives you this advantage.
  • Spending a pool point of Trust can give you a 2-point refresh in a single General Ability, including Stability but not Health. This should be flavored as their trust giving you some reassurance or personal strength.
  • When someone assigns you a rating point of Trust, you may gain either of the two advantages for free, tied to them doing so, without spending the accompany pool point.
  • If all characters engaging in Cooperation or Piggybacking share positive Trust ratings (above 0) the roll gets an additional +1 without any spend required.
  • You must each have 1 Trust rating point to get a Tag-Team Tactical Benefit with someone. For every Investigative spend the winger uses, the striker gains a pool of 2 + Trust rating.
  • You may "wager" a point of Trust for a +2 bonus on a test. If you succeed the test, the point is kept. If you fail, you lose the rating point completely, and the giver cannot reassign it until after the current Operation. This represents you putting someone that trusts you at risk for an advantage.
  • Finally, you may betray someone who Trusts you. You can target multiple people at a time who Trust you when you betray them. Every rating point of Trust you have with those you betray is lost, replaced with a 3-point (for each Trust rating point) Betrayal pool that you can spend to harm or hinder those you have betrayed. Unlike in the RAW, you can gain Trust again with those you have betrayed, but its up to them whether they want to give it. Also anyone you betray who you Trust lose the Trust points as well, and cannot use them, but you lose those points forever. That means if you betray one person in particular, others might betray you, and create a chain of bloody betrayal that is a fitting climax for a season of Night's Black Agents. Please speak to me first before you consider using this option as it will likely require a bit of finesse, but this is a Mirrors game. And not every Betrayal is final.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Name: Suzanne Hollister, "Jericho"
Nationality: British
Hometown: Liverpool
Professional Role: Demolitions, bomb disposal, chemical analysis, police go-between.
Former Employer: Horrocks Demolitions, The Metropolitan Police, MI6.

Drive: Altruism
MOS: Explosives
Background(s): Bang-and-Burner

Sources of Stability
Symbol: A silver necklace; a birthday present from her sister.
Solace: Melody Hollister, her sister, a low-level EU bureaucrat currently resident in Brussels.
Safety: Her dad's flat in Liverpool. He still thinks she works for the police.

Health: ●●●●● ●
Stability: ●●●●● ●
Hit Threshold: 3

General Abilities
Athletics ●●●●● (2/5)
Conceal ●●●●● ●
Disguise ●
Driving ●
Explosives ●●●●● ●●●●●
Hand-to-Hand ●●
Infiltration ●●●●
Mechanics ●●●●● ●
Preparedness ●●●●● ●
Sense Trouble ●●●●
Shooting ●●●●●
Weapons ●●

(1 unspent)

Academic Abilities
Architecture ●●
Criminology ●
Languages ●
Law ●
Military Science ●
Research ●

Interpersonal Abilities
Bullshit Detector ●
Bureaucracy ●
Cop Talk ●●
Intimidation ●
Streetwise ●●
Tradecraft ●

Technical Abilities
Chemistry ●●●
Notice ●
Pharmacy ●
Urban Survival ●●

(1 unspent)

Cherries:
Bigger Bang: Spend 3 Explosives points to add one die to the damage of explosives she sets, or 6 points for two extra dice.

MAPS & LEGENDS
Cover: ●●●●● ●●●●●
Legends:
None yet

Network: ●●●●● ●●●●● ●●●●●
Contacts:
None yet.

Languages Spoken: English, French, German, Arabic

Driving Licenses: Automobiles, vroom

Familiar Cities: Liverpool, London, Brussels

Weapons Training: xx
Tactical Benefits: xx
Special Equipment: xx

Trust: 6 unspent
Trusted By: xx

Known Associates:
xx

Personality: Dutiful, ethical (within the parameters of the job, mind you), tries to be optimistic about the fate of Europe but bitterness and jading sometimes creep in around the edges. Increasingly angry about governments in general and the UK one in particular. She's got little patience for being dicked around, and a tendency (which she tries to keep a lid on, with limited success) towards unilateral action if she thinks things aren't moving fast enough.

Appearance: Blonde, glasses, dresses mostly in white, grey, and black because they're easy to match. Favours silver jewellery. Has a nasty burn scar across her left shoulderblade and extending halfway down to the elbow, from an early misadventure in the university lab.

History: Suzie kind of drifted through her early life, falling into chemistry as a field of study because she had a knack for it. After university (UMIST) she put her knowledge to practical use working in the field of demolitions: mostly felling old factories and sinking oil rigs.

It was only after 7/7, when her sister Melody was injured in the bombing, that she felt she should put her knowledge to greater purpose than chimney-felling and keeping squirrels off her bird table. She did her stint as a PCSO, joined the Met and went into bomb disposal and analysis, moonlighting occasionally on arson investigations where the skill set crossed over.

Her talent attracted the attention of MI6, who snapped her up, gave her basic espionage training, then shipped her out to Afghanistan and Iraq to turn her skills to IED analysis. She stayed out there for a couple of years, getting steadily more and more disillusioned by the total lack of progress and the increasing evidence that the wars were unjust, until she finally fired off a perfunctory 'bollocks to you, bollocks to this, I quit' email to her handler and hopped the first military transport back to Europe.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 9, 2016

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I have two investigation points I want to trade

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Sorry, you can't have mine. I feel short on points as it is! Maybe Mors Rattus or Halloween Jack?

/
(Theme: https://youtu.be/ZlStl4fvzJA )

Name: Vasilica “Val” Pacepa (no relation), callsign “Pivot”
Nationality: Romanian-American
Hometown: New York, NY, USA / Alba Iulia, Romania
Professional Role: Case Officer, specialization Human Trafficking
Former Employer: FBI CCRSB, International Operations (Eastern Europe)

Drive: Comradeship
MOS: Sense Trouble
Background(s): Asset Handler (-2 Intimidation, +1 Flattery, +1 Human Terrain, -3 Cover, +1 Medic), Investigator (Hand to Hand -6, Shooting +6, Survillance -4, Athletics +4, Notice -1)

Sources of Stability
Symbol: Old FBI ID badge, signed by family and friends after replacement
Solace: Catalin Pacepa, brother; currently on honeymoon tour of Europe (to bring him into the game as needed)
Safety: Catskill Mts. Lodge

Health: ●●●●+●●● (base 4 + 3 = 7)
Stability: ●●●●+●●● (base 4 + 3 = 7)
Hit Threshold: 4

General Abilities (use ● as pip) (65/65)
Athletics ●●●●+●●●● (4+4 = 8)
Conceal ●● (2)
Digital Intrusion
Disguise ●● (2)
Driving ● (1)
Explosives
Filch
Gambling
Hand-to-Hand ●●●●● (5)
Hypnosis
Infiltration ●● (2)
Mechanics
Medic ●●● (3)
Piloting
Preparedness ●●●● (4)
Sense Trouble ●●●●●+●●● (5+3=8)
Shooting ●●●●●●+●● (6+2=8)
Shrink ●●●●+●●●● (4+4=8)
Surveillance ●●●●●●+●● (6+2=8)
Weapons

Academic Abilities (20/20)
Accounting ●
Archaeology
Architecture
Art History
Criminology ●+●
Diagnosis
History
Human Terrain ●
Languages ●
Law ●+●
Military Science
Occult Studies
Research ●
Vampirology

Interpersonal Abilities
Bullshit Detector ●●
Bureaucracy ●
Cop Talk ●
Flattery ●
Flirting
High Society
Interrogation ●
Intimidation
Negotiation ●
Reassurance ●+●
Streetwise ●
Tradecraft ●

Technical Abilities
Astronomy
Chemistry
Cryptography
Data Recovery
Electronic Surveillance ●
Forensic Pathology ●
Forgery
Geology
Notice ●
Outdoor Survival ●
Pharmacy
Photography
Traffic Analysis ●
Urban Survival ●

Cherries:
Hard to Hit (Athletics, +1 Hit Threshold)
Hawkeye? (Sense Trouble, DT, +1 Notice)
Talk it Out (Shrink, +1 Reassurance)
The Wire (Surveillance, +1 Electronic Surveillance)

MAPS & LEGENDS

Cover: ●●●●●●●●●● (10)
Legends:
None yet
Network: ●●●●●●●●●●●●●●● (15)
Contacts:
None Yet
Languages Spoken: English, Romanian, 2 left
Driving Licenses: Automobiles
Piloting Licenses: N/A
Untouchable Forgeries: N/A
Familiar Cities: New York City; Bucharest

Weapons Training: None
Tactical Benefits: None
Special Equipment: G22 w/FBI markings

Trust: 6 left
Trusted By: (None Yet)

Known Associates: (None Yet)

Personality: When “off the clock”, projects an easygoing relaxedness to anybody not looking them straight in the eyes. The ones that do get to see the more vigilant side that tries to look unvigilant. On the clock, they’re more focused and determined, but still polite, optimistic and calm--handy when part of your job is handling other agents. It’s only when interrogating hostiles, especially people who hurt others on an industrial scale, that the gloves come off.

Appearance: Black hair, dark grey eyes, skinny from skipping meals on cases. Androgynously built; gender neutral pronouns preferred but not required. Likes to dress “stereotypically” for detectives--ties, long coats, button down shirts--as they’ve found it helps project confidence to hostile subjects and willingness to trust to victimized ones.

History: Val was born at the very end of the Ceausescu regime, and vaguely remembers watching the televised execution of the husband-and-wife dictators. When the new government seemed less than likely to improve things, most of the family jumped ship to the United States. Thereafter, they spent their life split between schooling in the US and holidays in Romania. One day, they asked their parents why some of the children they saw over Christmas vacation in Bucharest seemed so sad. That was when they heard about the infamous Romanian child care system...and that was when they resolved to get a job that would protect people from abuses like that. No wonder they applied for the FBI before they even got out of high school. (They said “we’ll save a spot for you once you’ve finished college.”)

At first things went quite smoothly--their Eastern European heritage proved a big asset when that region began to heat up with the proliferation of Russian mobs, and their dogged (if slightly naive) determination to take down the villains made them quite the asset prosecuting cases of fraud, smuggling, and trafficking. Especially the human trafficking--something about the first case involving that resonated with their memories of “Ceausescu’s children”, and they nailed that case, and its ringleaders, to the wall. (So they liked to believe, at least.) Then their handler came in and said that the agency was shifting priorities to domestic surveillance, and they were scheduled for transfer. They protested. He insisted. They protested in writing. He wrote back to accept the new job or tender a resignation. The final letter came with the badge. (Not the gun, though; that was from their own funds.)

Now they’re back in the old country to recuperate, visit some old family, sip palinca and remember the sights that made them want to join the FBI in the first place. And maybe follow up on that last email that showed up while they were cleaning out their desk. It was addressed directly to them, and mentioned their family by name. It made allusions to that first special case, and suggested that it needed more investigation. It said there would be others to join them.

It’ll be good to pick up some old threads.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

quote:

Jericho, it's nice to see another idealist on the team. Rare in our line of work--I should know! But I can tell. You and I, we didn't sign up for the groups we did because we wanted to "kill ragheads" or craziness like that, magari prosti, nenorocitii! We wanted to protect people, we wanted to help those in need. When I want to feel like I've left a mark in the world, I tell myself, "I broke a human trafficking ring that went through my family's homeland. Their leaders are facing charges and life in prison because of me." How about you? When you worked at the Met and MI6, what job reminded you the most of why you signed up?

It's in every bomb I disarm. Every red wire cut, every shiver trigger stilled, every fuse slipped out of its casing just so... every one of those is a bunch more people who aren't going to die, or who aren't going to get hurt. I can't help Melody -- she's going to be carrying those scars forever -- but I can stop other people from going the same way. Of course standard protocol is 'put the bomb disposal bucket over it, controlled detonation, next' but disarming the things properly makes me feel like a proper hero.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

AGENT DOSSIER

Name:
Wilhelm Adalwulf Schmitt "The Bavarian"
Nationality: German
Hometown: Kitzingen
Professional Role: Analyst, Polymath
Former Employer: MI5

Drive: Mystery: What ties do vampires have, if any, to the Nazis?
MOS: Digital Intrusion
Background(s): Analyst, Hacker

Sources of Stability
Symbol:
Grandfather's Holocaust badge (Jewish political prisoner)
Solace: Liese Sutler, fiance
Safety: College Roommate's Apartment in Munich
Health: 6
Stability: 5

General Abilities
Athletics ●●●●●●●●
Conceal ●●
Digital Intrusion ●●●●●●●●●●
Disguise ●●●●●●●●
Driving ●
Explosives
Filch
Gambling ●●●●●●●●
Hand-to-Hand
Hypnosis
Infiltration ●●●
Mechanics ●●●
Medic
Piloting
Preparedness ●●●●
Sense Trouble ●●●●●●●●
Shooting
Shrink
Surveillance ●●●●●
Weapons

Academic Abilities
Accounting ●
Archaeology ●
Architecture ●
Art History ●
Criminology ●
Diagnosis
History ●
Human Terrain ●
Languages ●●●
Law
Military Science
Occult Studies ●
Research ●
Vampirology ●

Interpersonal Abilities
Bullshit Detector
Bureaucracy
Cop Talk
Flattery
Flirting
High Society
Interrogation
Intimidation
Negotiation
Reassurance
Streetwise ●
Tradecraft ●

Technical Abilities
Astronomy
Chemistry ●
Cryptography ●●
Data Recovery ●●
Electronic Surveillance ●●
Forensic Pathology
Forgery ●
Geology
Notice
Outdoor Survival
Pharmacy
Photography
Traffic Analysis ●●
Urban Survival ●●
Cherries:
- Cracker's Crypto: Free dot in Cryptography
- Connected Cover
- Luck of the Devil
- Combat Intuition

MAPS & LEGENDS

Cover:
Legends:
Network: 15
Contacts:
Languages Spoken: English, German, French, Mandarin, Russian, Romanian, ???, ???, ???, ???, ???
Driving Licenses: Automobiles
Piloting Licenses: None
Untouchable Forgeries: ???
Familiar Cities: Kitzingen, Munich, London

Weapons Training: None
Tactical Benefits: None
Special Equipment: None

Trust: You will have 5 Trust points to distribute to the members of the first Operation. You can spend these freely, and thus boost that person, though also exposing yourself potentially to Betrayal. Every Operation, you will gain another Trust point you can spend as you like. More Trust means more effective Tag-Team Maneuvers, and in general a better team, so be aware.
Trusted By: As you earn Trust from the other operatives, you will make note of it here.

Known Associates:
Liese Sutler, Fiance
????, College Roommate

Personality: Wilhelm Adalwulf Schmitt is a polymath. As a student in Munich, he flitted easily between history, chemistry, math and languages with the ease of a genius. However, he never graduated - largely due to being expelled after hacking the school's systems to fix his roommate's grades. Schmitt has always been arrogant, cocky and slightly paranoid. He obsesses over history and particularly the possibility of outside control of governments in the past. He is obsessive, highly intelligent and more than a little condescending at times. When he forms friendships he is viciously loyal, but tends to have trouble dealing with strangers as anything but statistics. His special areas of academic interest include the Holocaust and medieval Germany, but also extend to cryptography, number theory, linguistic anthropology and occultism.

Appearance: Wilhelm is a short, brown-haired man with brown eyes. He naturally suffers from a recognizable unibrow, but keeps it shaved for better disguise potential. This and his hands are his most easily distinguished characteristics, as his middle and ring fingers are of equal length and there is a small scar on his right palm. He is adept enough with disguise that any other distinguishing features are likely falsified.

History: Wilhelm is the grandson of a Holocaust survivor and a cultural but non-practicing Jew. He grew up in the small German town of Kitzingen, and is known to have a fiance, Liese Sutler, who grew up alongside him. The two have remained close, though Sutler publically claims to have no knowledge of Wilhelm after his disappearance. Wilhelm went to school in Munich, but was expelled,as noted above, after hacking the school's grading system. He later resurfaced as a member of MI5, specializing in digital intelligence and analysis, under the psuedonym Frank Wolmer, a history professor at Oxford. He went missing during an MI5 operation, believed dead after an Edom-orchestrated strike, but has been seen on the run since.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm using all my dots. Gotta be a genius, after all!

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Using all my points.

That said, summary of changes: Research from 2 to 1, Reassurance from 1 to 0, Vampirology from 0 to 1, Outdoor Survival from 0 to 1.

--------------------

AGENT DOSSIER

Name:
Charlotte Rousseaux, “Curie”
Nationality: French
Hometown: Lyon, France
Professional Role: Field Agent, Medical Expert
Former Employer: DCRI (French FBI)

Drive: Mystery (What is a vampire, anyways? How are they made, how do they work?)
MOS: Medic
Background(s): Medic (Shrink -2, Stability +2)

Sources of Stability
Symbol:
Her old medical notebook, now being used to take notes on vampires
Solace: Henri St Croix, romantic attachment from university
Safety: Family coastal house near Marseille
Health: ●●●● ●●
Stability: ●●●● ●●●●

General Abilities
Athletics ●●●●●●●●
Conceal ●●●●
Digital Intrusion
Disguise ●●●●
Driving ●●
Explosives
Filch ●●●●
Gambling
Hand-to-Hand
Hypnosis
Infiltration
Mechanics
Medic ●●●●●●●●●●
Piloting
Preparedness ●●●●●●●●
Sense Trouble ●●●●●●
Shooting ●●●●
Shrink ●●●●●●
Surveillance ●●●
Weapons

Academic Abilities
Accounting
Archaeology
Architecture
Art History ●
Criminology
Diagnosis ●+● (From Medic cherry)
History ●
Human Terrain
Languages ●
Law
Military Science
Occult Studies
Research ●
Vampirology ●

Interpersonal Abilities
Bullshit Detector ●
Bureaucracy ●
Cop Talk
Flattery
Flirting
High Society
Interrogation ●
Intimidation
Negotiation
Reassurance
Streetwise ●
Tradecraft ●

Technical Abilities
Astronomy
Chemistry ●●
Cryptography
Data Recovery ●
Electronic Surveillance
Forensic Pathology ●●●
Forgery
Geology
Notice ●●
Outdoor Survival ●
Pharmacy ●●
Photography
Traffic Analysis
Urban Survival

Cherries:
Check Your Other Left Pocket: You may spend Preparedness on behalf of other agents in the field. The Director may require a brief flashback scene where you give your teammate the piece of equipment along with an eerily prescient explanation of why he or she will need it.

MAPS & LEGENDS

Cover: ●●●●●●●●●●
Legends:
Network: ●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●
Contacts:
Languages Spoken: English, French, German, Arabic
Driving Licenses:
Piloting Licenses:
Untouchable Forgeries:
Familiar Cities:

Weapons Training:
Tactical Benefits:
Special Equipment:

Trust: You will have 5 Trust points to distribute to the members of the first Operation. You can spend these freely, and thus boost that person, though also exposing yourself potentially to Betrayal. Every Operation, you will gain another Trust point you can spend as you like. More Trust means more effective Tag-Team Maneuvers, and in general a better team, so be aware.
Trusted By: As you earn Trust from the other operatives, you will make note of it here.

Known Associates:

Personality: Charlotte is infinitely curious. It’s what got her into the field in the first place from being a scientist, seeing how things actually worked in the real world. She’s not afraid of getting her hands dirty, always looking for answers rather than just accepting what she’s told. This works better when you’re digging into things that definitely don’t have any attachments to your country’s government or their most powerful families. There’s a line in her dossier from an old handler: “Will probably die still tracing for the root to some big truth.”

Appearance: Charlotte is not very tall, standing at most about 5’6”, and generally dresses and appears in a way to blend in with the rest of the crowd around her. She always seems to be carrying something around with her, from a briefcase to a notebook, keeping her head in her work.

History: Charlotte was born and raised in Lyon as an only child with well-to-do parents and the whole world in front of her. The phrase top of her class was mentioned a lot in her educational record, but never was challenged much by typical school work. Her first real challenge was from the government, oddly enough, asking her a simple question if she had what it took to keep France safe. Having been a bit bored studying to be a doctor from the Pierre and Marie Curie University, she took on the challenges of becoming an intelligence agent. Her background made her a natural for being a part of anti-biological and eco-terrorist teams, even showing a natural athleticism that most didn’t expect from the former doctor-in-training.

Her last project was shut down after a number of strange reports of muggings gone wrong happened in the area. She was looking into a new designer drug that was being sold in massive quantities on the outskirts of Paris. Charlotte herself was the last one on watch when she saw what appeared to be a pair of people biting one of the people they were selling to, leading him to scream in pain while she couldn’t do much more than watch. The plug wasn’t pulled, so much as it was deemed important to invest elsewhere in the project. Still, the connections to vampires stuck in her mind, and she’s been pulling at that string ever since.

It’s not quite an obsession, but anyone who knows her certainly thinks it will be soon enough.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

As a good Soviet I have also used all my points. I think we got much of the effect of collaboration already, at least.

AGENT DOSSIER

Name: Lena Valentinovna Galkin
Nationality: Russian
Hometown: Moscow
Professional Role: Cultural Attache
Former Employer: SVR

Drive: Mystery (Who set her up and why?)
MOS: Disguise
Background(s): Asset Handler/Cuckoo

Sources of Stability

Symbol: Father's medal (for border troops duty; heavily eroded from being handled)
Solace: Arthur Finch, proprietor of the Finch and Tin (favored pub; she flirts and has political arguments with).
Safety: Father's old seaside apartment on the Black Sea, now in disrepair

Health: ●●●●● ●●
Stability: ●●●●●
Hit Threshold: (base 3, 4 if Athletics 8+)

General Abilities (use ● as pip)

Athletics ●●●●● ●●●●
Conceal ●●●●
Digital Intrusion
Disguise ●●●●● ●●●
Driving ●
Explosives
Filch ●●●●●
Gambling
Hand-to-Hand
Hypnosis
Infiltration ●●●●● ●●●●●
Mechanics
Medic
Piloting
Preparedness
Sense Trouble ●●●●
Shooting ●●●●● ●●●●●
Shrink ●●●
Surveillance ●●●●● ●●
Weapons

Academic Abilities

Accounting
Archaeology ●
Architecture ●
Art History ●
Criminology
Diagnosis
History ●
Human Terrain ●●
Languages ●●
Law
Military Science
Occult Studies
Research
Vampirology

Interpersonal Abilities

Bullshit Detector ●
Bureaucracy ●
Cop Talk
Flattery ●
Flirting ●●
High Society ●●
Interrogation
Intimidation
Negotiation ●
Reassurance ●
Streetwise ●
Tradecraft ●

Technical Abilities

Astronomy
Chemistry
Cryptography
Data Recovery
Electronic Surveillance
Forensic Pathology
Forgery
Geology ●
Notice ●
Outdoor Survival
Pharmacy
Photography ●
Traffic Analysis
Urban Survival

Cherries:
Hard to Hit
Connected Cover
Open Sesame

MAPS & LEGENDS

Legends:

Each line item is a cover identity you distribute points to in play. Once it runs out of the pool, it becomes flagged.

Contacts:

Each line item is a network contact you distribute points to in play. Once it runs out of the pool, it is lost.

Languages Spoken: English, Russian, Romanian, German

Driving Licenses: Automobile
Piloting Licenses: None
Untouchable Forgeries:
Familiar Cities:

Weapons Training:
Tactical Benefits:
Special Equipment:

Known Associates: After start of play, you can record your character's opinions and relationships with the other player characters, and any non-player characters that are especially important. for your own reference, as detailed or not as you like.

Personality: Lena Valentinovna gives the appearance of a wistful academic of no particular threat to anyone, evidently giving the image of a "cultural attache" who actually is a cultural attache. This is not an entirely unreasonable cover, nor is it false; at her heart she is not particularly thrilled by what she does, but she has done it anyway. She has only killed four people in the decade or so of her service abroad, although, of course, she has been prepared to do more. Her usual situation is communication with the academic community, the gathering of intelligence and the slow cultivation of agents who may not even be considered to be compromised. The "long con." She tells herself she means no harm; even those four people were the sorts who needed killing.

Appearance: A Russian woman edging up on middle-age, superficially innocent and harmless.

History: Lena grew up in the warm shadow of the KGB, because her father was an officer of the border troops and was in a reasonably comfortable situation. (She never knew her mother. By reports she was beautiful and witty, but had a weak constitution.) Of course, Communism decided to collapse while she was growing up, but she went in the same career trajectory and showed an aptitude for the occasional round of cold blooded murder underneath an academician's air. Her career started in Romania, went to Germany, and had quite recently went to Britain, where after two years of friendly network development and insinuation, she was told to commit murder #5. When she reached that destination, however, she found that there had been a massive call and that her target simply was never planned to be there. It was a trap, even if she was enough of a ghost to slip away, mostly unsuspected.

Who? Why? Why HER?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Tyrannosaurus posted:

I have two investigation points I want to trade

In the absence of anyone else, I have four unspent general points, but I forget the exchange rate. 3:1 ?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

potatocubed posted:

In the absence of anyone else, I have four unspent general points, but I forget the exchange rate. 3:1 ?

Yep, it's 3 general to 1 investigative.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

potatocubed posted:

Would you be interested in trading?

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Both Witchcraft and Gallu are fully spent, so that trade should work. -3 General, +1 Investigative for Jericho, +3 General, -1 Investigative for Wolfhound. Leaving 1 unspent General and Investigative point for both.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Sure then, let's trade.

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado

Name: Fayza al-Din "Gallu"
Nationality: Israeli Arab
Hometown: Jerusalem (Contested Territory?)
Professional Role: Profiler, Interrogator, Infiltrator
Former Employer: The Israeli Defense Force, Shabak/Shin Bet, Joint Operations with numerous counter-terrorism organizations

Drive: Mystery. What possible force drives the world's most extreme radicals?
MOS: Hypnosis
Background(s): Off Brand Cuckoo.

Sources of Stability
Symbol: A handwritten list of individual threats which Faiza takes responsibility for “removing”
Solace: Mentor from within Shin Bet, referred to by the workname “Adi” meaning in this incident “my witness.”
Safety: A bombed out home in Jerusalem, abandoned to time and decay

Health: 6
Stability: 8

General Abilities (use ● as pip)
Athletics ●●●●● ●●●
Conceal ●●●●● ●●●
Digital Intrusion ●●●●●
Disguise ●●●●● ●●●
Driving ●
Explosives
Filch ●●
Gambling
Hand-to-Hand ●●●●● ●●●
Hypnosis ●●●●●
Infiltration ●
Mechanics
Medic
Piloting
Preparedness ●
Sense Trouble ●●
Shooting ●●
Shrink ●●●●● ●●●
Surveillance ●
Weapons ●

Academic Abilities
Accounting
Archaeology
Architecture
Art History
Criminology ●
Diagnosis
Geology
History
Human Terrain ● ● ●
Languages ● ●
Law ●
Military Science
Occult Studies
Research
Vampirology

Interpersonal Abilities
Bullshit Detector ●
Bureaucracy
Cop Talk ●
Flattery ●
Flirting ●
High Society
Interrogation ● ●
Intimidation
Negotiation ●
Reassurance ●
Streetwise ●
Tradecraft ●

Technical Abilities:
Astronomy
Chemistry
Cryptography ●
Data Recovery
Electronic Surveillance
Forensic Pathology
Forgery ●
Notice ●
Outdoor Survival
Pharmacy
Photography
Traffic Analysis ●
Urban Survival ●

MAPS & LEGENDS

Cherries:
Hard To Hit: Hit Threshold 4
Perfect Hold Out: Can hide a small item on her person that can not be found by any means less than an X-Ray or Strip Search
Connected Cover: Rather than generic covers, Faiza can create covers that are connected to an individual NPC.
Talk It Out: One Free Point in Interrogation
Haymaker (or the Krav Maga alternative, Groinsmasher): May roll two dice on damage for a hand to hand attack. If the player chooses the higher die they must pay hand to hand points equal to the difference in the die results.

Legends:
Contacts:

Languages Spoken: English, Levantine Arabic, Hebrew, Turkish, Romanian
Driving Licenses: Yes. "Driving."
Piloting Licenses: Do you push the stick up or down?
Untouchable Forgeries: I once signed for an SO's package. Does that count?
Familiar Cities: Jerusalem

Weapons Training:
Tactical Benefits:
Special Equipment:

Trust:
Trusted By:

Known Associates:

Personality: Faiza is jovial, if not at times critical. One gets the sense that she views life more as a chess game than an experience. On the job she has a reputation for being demanding of other "professionals."

Appearance: A fair skinned Israeli Arab woman standing 1.7 meters or 5 foot, seven inches tall. Relatively indistinctive and bland. Blends into crowds easily.

History: Shabak no longer, or perhaps you might prefer never has, authorized the use of torture. Only psychological means of interrogation are used to coerce suspects who threaten the security of the state into revealing information that will save lives. This is the nature of the Gallu.

A woman appears, ingratiates herself, and then the bombmaker goes missing. The most trusted man spills everything he knows about the attack on the hotel. Everything falls apart in the face of the Gallu. The term Gallu, at least in this case, refers to a human adversary that is a dangerous and uncompromising. The Gallu that's name was whispered in radical cells across the Middle East is better known to the world's leaders in counter-terrorism as Faiza al-Din.

Raised in Jerusalem and faced with poverty and few schooling options, Faiza joined the Israeli Defense Force in a bid for inclusion and opportunity. A quick determined mind set her on a path to Shin Bet's Arab Affairs department after two years of service in the IDF. Her mentor, who she only knows by the name Adi, recruited Faiza into a special program that used various psychological techniques up to and including hypnosis to coerce information from black bagged targets. A non-violent, more successful interrogation. Training centered not only on knowing how to break a target but how to understand and think like a target as well. Being able to predict, or at the very least understand, a targets actions was of the utmost importance.

Faiza spent years working with Shin Bet. This required her utmost anonymity. A life beyond the job was frowned upon. An identity that wasn't tied to the next target a liability. Faiza had come to be a radical who despised radicals. An extremist who used controversial techniques to accomplish morally grey tasks. She never doubted that it did all the good in the world.

One day Faiza didn't return home. Intelligence ranged from the Gallu growing bored of her feeble minded opponents, being killed in an ambush after being compromised, or being flipped by an enemy agent. None of that would explain why she's here.

Perhaps, Draculas?

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Update should be up tonight. Got struck with the flu and was out for two days, still not feeling great but after work I should have some time to catch up.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Darn it, Hopkins! Five more minutes and Jericho and Pivot would have had Cop Talk, Reassurance and Tradecraft to pull you out of the fire!

So, how are we going to salvage this? Lots of co-op or just a big spend from a few different people?

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
To be fair to her in perhaps her final moments, her objective is to keep the dossier away from them. No amount of Cop Talk would prevent them from seizing it and sending it straight to CD (though some high octane action might).

More seriously, people should feel free to take other actions other than try and break her fall or do nothing, such as prepare a getaway vehicle, get a head start away from the authorities, or create some obstruction for the police on the ground level. Didn't want to make it binary, just spent the word economy on the big question.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Trying to save her is the worst idea, but I can't imagine Jericho would do anything else. Negative health, here we come!

E: What's the Preparedness spend for a really springy cushion?

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 9, 2016

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

potatocubed posted:

E: What's the Preparedness spend for a really springy cushion?

Not sure if this is a joke or flash of brilliance, but while a springy cushion that Jackie Chan style would help break her fall falls a little under the "rolls eyes" rule a bit of nil Difficulty, it does occur to me you're on the right track. Suzanne is a trained bomb disposal expert and considering the circumstances might have stashed a kit within dashing and tossing distance. That kit would likely include a tightly knit heavy duty ballistic blanket. This means she couldn't be there to receive the fall, and at least two others would have to to hold it, but you could avoid having any agent taking much damage at all this way.

Having the blanket available and good to go immediately would normally be Difficulty 6, but since you were trying to be touristy until the hero moment that's less an option, so instead you'll have to sacrifice your crucial action once you crossed the street (which you were successful at), and make a Difficulty 4 Preparedness test to have it at hand and toss it in time for another to catch. If you'd like to append that to your action, feel free to edit it in.

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 9, 2016

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
It was a joke :v: --- I'll stick with the run-and-catch I've already rolled for.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Anything can happen in the NBA

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado

Nessus posted:

Anything can happen in the NBA

I know we're all burnt agents and what not but that's not a fair comparison. We're still playing the good guys here.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sorry about the wait, update going up tonight. Need to follow my own pacing! Going through a transition of schedules at work. moving to nights, but right now doing mornings and its left me with a little less time than I would like to pretend to be a dracula on the internet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

"Moving to nights," huh

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nessus posted:

"Moving to nights," huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765025

Linking to recruitment thread for later reference per Davin's request.

• Locked thread