Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Yesterday I got a frantic phone call from my cousin. Her '97 Honda Accord had been stolen sometime during the night from in front of her apartment building. She already contacted the property owner and was assured that it hadn't gotten towed. She called the towing company that trolls the lot as well just in case it was towed and the management didn't know it. She's called the cops and filed a report (it's also not in the police impound). As she is a poor college student she didn't have full coverage. I'm not certain yet what her coverage is completely but she has called and filed a claim with her insurance company.

What else is there to do? Do we hope it gets recovered or pray it's just gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Skreemer posted:

What else is there to do? Do we hope it gets recovered or pray it's just gone?

Have her gather any photos she has of the vehicle and make a Craigslist ad, but chances are all you can do is keep your fingers crossed, chances are more than likely if it is found, it will either be totaled, stripped, or parted.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'd look around in the immediate neighborhood, in my area cars like that are generally stolen for transportation instead of parts.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

In a lot of states, because your cousin didn't have comprehensive coverage (I assume), that means her car isn't covered in case of theft (which sucks, I been there). She should still call up her insurer to report it stolen, so that they can close that police and refund any money they owe her. She also might should call the state after a few weeks so they don't make her renew her tags when that time rolls around. If she still owes money on the car, the bank will probably say "tough cookies" and she'll have to keep paying on a stolen car.

Her renter's insurance is her best bet at this juncture. She should check her policy and call them, see if they'll cover that loss.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Thankfully she owned the car outright. She bought it for 2200 about 4 months ago. I'll pass on the tips and see if we can et this taken care of. She might be a world of suck insurance wise, she was moving at the time and I'm not sure she had insurance at the new place yet. We'll see what happens.

Again, thanks for the tips, if there's anything else let me know.

(anyone got a dirt cheap sub-1200$ car in Albuquerque that'll make it for 6 months to a year?)

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

For future reference, comprehensive coverage is really cheap and covers theft and vandalism and trees falling on it - basically all non collision losses. Even if she can't afford collision she definitely can afford comprehensive, and should look into it next time.

This might vary by state so ask your insurer of course.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What Lloyd said. It's $6/month for me to have comprehensive on my policy, with a low deductible ($250). I learned that lesson the same way she's learning it - had a car get stolen (it was also an Accord, though it was a 1988).

Hopefully it turns up. For now it sounds like she's done all she can do though. Since her insurance let her make a claim, she may actually have comprehensive on it (hopefully she does).

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I'm in the UK so things may be slightly different for you - but when my student wheels got stolen I was able to claim for all the contents against my home insurance - which lessened the sting of the loss slightly.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Well I got the call, the police found her car. Unfortunately for her, all of her stuff inside was taken. She got the cops too clean out the car for her, because it was full of someone else's stuff. They didn't punch out the column or even hot wire it. Everything to do with the car is intact. I'll call her and see if I can convince her to get comprehensive added.

Of all things she got a club steering wheel lock, and mounted a motorcycle alarm in the car. (the motorcycle alarm attaches directly to the battery and goes off if there is a bump or if it measures a voltage drop i the battery.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

LloydDobler posted:

For future reference, comprehensive coverage is really cheap and covers theft and vandalism and trees falling on it - basically all non collision losses. Even if she can't afford collision she definitely can afford comprehensive, and should look into it next time.

This might vary by state so ask your insurer of course.

Eh can be, depends on region and stuff like you as a driver.

A young driver in a lovely area could be looking at an extra 30 a month.

Which doesn't sound like much but could add up for a college kid. I know I had to skip it back when I was in school, but yeah now it costs me nothing too.

• Locked thread