Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Shaggar posted:

icloud backups on ios will randomly stop working without telling you. idk how it works in osx but its probably the same.

much like my mac i've been carrying the same profile/backup since 2008. no clean-reinstalls. during that time i've jailbroken and run pre-release iOS releases and i've still never had an issue

you're holding it wrong

shitface fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nope. its bad software from a bad company and its one reason I don't use ios anymore.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Shaggar posted:

nope. its bad software from a bad company and its one reason I don't use ios anymore.

my mum doesn't always remember her partner of 15 years or husband of 40 years but she can still use iOS and Macs better than you can

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
her backups probably haven't run in years. you should check it for her

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

maybe when her alzheimers finally causes her to forget me she'll get to shaggier/echi levels of incompetence

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Shaggar posted:

her backups probably haven't run in years. you should check it for her

flawlessly every time she turns on the mac or plugs in her iPhone or iPad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

shitface posted:

maybe when her alzheimers finally causes her to forget me she'll get to shaggier/echi levels of incompetence

shagger isn't incompetent, he's just a masochist

echi is incompetent

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Can't you just plug an external HD into the USB port on your router and have it work with Time Machine? Would it work if the drive was formatted with HFS+?

I mean, I'm assuming at least Apple's routers can do it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mishaq posted:

shagger isn't incompetent, he's just a masochist

echi is incompetent

I haven't even done anything incompetent! I just refuse to use the stupid moron-methods like plugging something in to a mother fuckin laptop. its bad enough you have to plug it into a power socket every few days

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the biggest issue to be honest, because I actually dont store any data on this laptop except whats already in icloud, except when the whole thing hosed up the copies in icloud were months old, and I don't know why. did my wife somehow start saving them to the normal folders and not icloud folders? idk and there is no way to tell anymore. but I need to make sure everything she IS doing is getting iclouded

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
setting it up like it was with email accounts is a hassle but not really THAT big of a deal. putting a graphical signature on the osx email program is a bit of a pain in the rear end but I managed that too

oh and having to enable tap to click. who in their right mind makes osx default to click to click. clicking on the trackpad is the worst

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

its bad enough you have to plug it into a power socket every few days

lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my gimmick is dropping ridiculous statements I don't actually believe in the middle of ridiculous statements I do believe

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
lmao at the concept of backing files up on disks physically located in your house in tyool 2016. if all she needs is spreadsheets slideshows, just use google sheets / slides. ive never used icloud but it sounds like a fail clone of google drive that doesn't back things up

microsoft office online + onedrive is probably also good. don't save anything locally. you're just creating problems for yourself

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

works for me OP

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

wah wah I refuse to purchase a wireless backup unit OR plug anythig to my laptop, whyyy are backups this haaaaaaard?

a literal u.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's not his problem. his problem is he tried to use icloud backups for doing backups but didn't know that icloud backups will randomly stop working without telling you.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
you literally just pick iCloud Drive in the save dialog, JFC it isn't hard

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
save dialogue? what the gently caress is this?

you open numbers.. you make the spreadsheet and you close the lid on the latop whebn you're done. if you want you can click the little red close icon if you want it off the screen

"saving things" is so 2004

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
illiterate children manage to use macs but you cant

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echi tries to hook up with illiterate children on kik

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jesus christ mishaq

is this how you shoe someone love? by spreading rumours they're a child predator who specifically goes for extra vulnerable children who are a mixture of illiterate but also big on the IM scene

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

mishaq post harass echi is always funny. lol. not because echi is bad but bc its funny. lomarf

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i'm on team echipnosis

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

echinosis is a far better poster than i

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Roosevelt posted:

echinosis is a far better poster than i

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
tbf so is everyone else including lurkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

echinopsis posted:

save dialogue? what the gently caress is this?

you open numbers.. you make the spreadsheet and you close the lid on the latop whebn you're done. if you want you can click the little red close icon if you want it off the screen

"saving things" is so 2004

yes this is how it works god knows how your wife managed to screw it up

• Locked thread