Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
How has Bobby never played Kevin Smith before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Does any one else miss What Up With That, like, a lot?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Sorry Taran, but that's a really bad Tarantino.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Sneeing Emu posted:

Terribly.

Also, Ariana Grande did a better impression than anyone; I'm kind of in awe.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Sneeing Emu posted:

No, not even remotely.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
WUWT wouldn't be the same without Hader, sadly

edit: really liking this song, the chorus sounds like Disclosure's stuff

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
What's Up With That is evergreen. It can never get old or stop being funny. Especially if Sudekis is there to dance with that stupid loving grin.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Good episode IMO. 100x better then last weeks travesty.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Nothing great, but it was fun. And Ariana is kind of adorable.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Episode was much better than I was expecting. I'd expect to see Ariana host again. I don't think she'll be a staple like Timberlake, but she's got what it takes.

Sneeing Emu posted:

One of my all-time favorites. I'm certain they'll do it on Kenan's last episode.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So what all happened in the back hour, because in San Diego the feed was fuuuuuuucked after the Tidal skit, there were large stretches of bumper image, the NBC logo, and no ads, and eventually we cut from one of the only aired ads into the middle of a Sound of Music skit and then cut back out in the middle of a line to where that ad left off. Ten minutes later I got part of a credits roll.

pwn
May 27, 2004

END ME SCOOB posted:

So what all happened in the back hour, because in San Diego the feed was fuuuuuuucked after the Tidal skit, there were large stretches of bumper image, the NBC logo, and no ads, and eventually we cut from one of the only aired ads into the middle of a Sound of Music skit and then cut back out in the middle of a line to where that ad left off. Ten minutes later I got part of a credits roll.
After the Tidal sketch, there was:

- national ad break
- tease #5
- local ad break
- Family Feud sketch
- national ad break
- tease #6
- local ad break
- bumper
- NBC promo
- station break (would be where the NBC logo you saw was)
- Grande's 2nd song
- local ad break (could be the bumper you saw, if you didn't hear music)
- Sound of Music sketch
- local ad break
- credits and goodnights
- NBC promo, terminal station break

Sounds like KNSD's Master Control Operator couldn't push buttons at the correct time.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I straight up saw none of that other than the chunk of Sound of Music. What a shitshow. At least I know what to look for online now, thanks.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Reset Smith posted:

How has Bobby never played Kevin Smith before?

Unfortunately Kevin Smith has been lost in a weed cloud for 20 years so nobody under 40 seems to know who he is. Real shame about that, would have loved to see him making more movies with a sharp mind.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Tonight! Vintage! John Goodman! Jewel! Celebrity Jeopardy! Bill Brasky!

Jewel's performance of "Who Will Save Your Soul" is one of the all time classics, hopefully it's left in. Even when she flubs it a bit!

Edit: A couple cut sketches from last week...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm1xYZp2GXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E5QXkkF5-U

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 20, 2016

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

pwn posted:

Tonight! Vintage! John Goodman! Jewel! Celebrity Jeopardy! Bill Brasky!

Jewel's performance of "Who Will Save Your Soul" is one of the all time classics, hopefully it's left in. Even when she flubs it a bit!
This vintage ep is a bit of a head-scratcher as opposed to last week's one. It has a few dated gay jokes like Lorne and Goodman calling Tim Meadows in a dress "fruity" and Will Ferrell throwing up after learning Ellen is a lesbian. I guess they felt it was an important show for having the first Celebrity Jeopardy skit, but only Burt was there, no Sean Connery yet. Connery pretty much makes Celeb Jeopardy.

Kind of a meh pick, especially with the awkward gay panic jokes.

Edit: errr, and they didn't include whatever the Mike Myers appearance was, he just shows up at the goodbye
instead the editor thought we needed to see Cheri Oteri's pill-popper character
and an npr skit that was pretty bland (yeah, i know that's the joke, but still)

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 20, 2016

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ferrell's WU bit was mocking the idea of Ellen being gay as a problem, in a suitably subtle SNL fashion

At least that's how it always came off to me. Things have come a long way in the last 19 years. Will & Grace was still over a year away! Back then it was A Big loving Deal that a gay woman was on TV, with plenty of pearl clutching from the usual shrieklords.

I had forgotten about Norm eating the vomit. Total classic.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Pryor on Fire posted:

Unfortunately Kevin Smith has been lost in a weed cloud for 20 years so nobody under 40 seems to know who he is. Real shame about that, would have loved to see him making more movies with a sharp mind.
All of his movies were terrible. That's like saying "I bet Michael Bay movies would be amazing if he wasn't really lovely at making movies".

^^ oh man, when Ellen Degeneres came out (as her character on her show that everyone loved) it was insane. The 90s were progressive but coming from a very backwards place.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 21, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Michael Bay has made several good movies.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Michael Bay has made several good movies.
Several times over!

[Michael_Bay_recycled_scenes.gif]

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You know the famous one in Transformers is because someone was paralyzed during an accident shooting the scene so they filled it out with footage from The Island, right?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

You know the famous one in Transformers is because someone was paralyzed during an accident shooting the scene so they filled it out with footage from The Island, right?
No, I didn't know that. I just read a [mostly mediocre] Cracked article and that happened to be the highlight. Thanks for the background info.

That would really suck, getting paralyzed for a loving Transformers movie.

Reminds me of this story of when Jeff Daniels hosted SNL in 1995.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYp9QZtdhqQ

The sketch in question isn't online, but here's a transcript. All that bullshit, losing his eyebrows, for what was a pretty blah sketch.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

pwn posted:

That would really suck, getting paralyzed for a loving Transformers movie.
Think that's bad?

From a stunt actress, after waking up from a coma:
"2 weeks in a coma, brain bleed, brain swelling, severed main artery in the neck, crushed & degloved face, several broken ribs, paralyzed arm, shattered scapula, broken clavicle, broken humerus, broken radius & ulna, with an open wound and a 7.5 piece of bone missing, amputated thumb, torn fingers, 5 nerves torn out of the spinal cord…. not my funnest day on set.”
http://deadline.com/2015/10/stuntwoman-seriously-injured-on-set-of-resident-evil-the-final-chapter-1201520953/

on a loving Resident Evil movie

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
20 whatever years later and Jewels crooked tooth still bugs me.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

SLOSifl posted:

All of his movies were terrible. That's like saying "I bet Michael Bay movies would be amazing if he wasn't really lovely at making movies".

And you can't even blame weed. He only started smoking after Seth Rogen got him into it during Zack and Miri. That was also just before he "quit" making movies for the first time and decided to just be a podcaster. He has since decided to quit after every subsequent movie, I think.

Some of his movies showed promise in the 90s, when indie movies were actually a new aesthetic people were getting into as an alternative to studio movies. Dogma was probably his last okay script, and proved that someone else really needed to be directing them. I know directing pays a lot more and he became known as one, but I imagine his career would have been a lot better regarded if he had stuck to writing, maybe with a partner who could edit down his worse habits.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
drat, when I saw it was a John Goodman vintage I was hoping it was the one from 01-02 that featured a ten minute unmitigated attack on Wilford Brimley.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I still think of the phrase food boner and crack up to this day.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Rolling Stone: SNL's All Cast Members Ranked

RS loves their rankings, and I have to admit I am a sucker for this poo poo too. Nobody can every be satisfied with them, you're always looking for something that upsets you. I expect this will be no different.

First, I don't expect him to do well on this list, but Norm Macdonald at 135 is wrong. What I disagree with most is number 98... Bobby Moynihan. "He's an uncle and he's drunk. Got it. Saving grace: His brilliant Chris Christie imitation." He got jobbed here. Bobby is a great part of the current cast, and gently caress you Rolling Stone, Drunk Uncle is loving awesome. He deserves a few dozen more points for rear end Dan alone. On the other side of the list, I think Tina Fey is too high; she's top 25, but for the most part, she's one great political impression and a Weekend Update host. I also think Poehler is a little bit higher than necessary. I am pleasantly surprised with what they gave Hader, though, so I'll give them that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I clicked the link before I read your post, and the two things that instantly stuck out like a sore thumb were Norm and Bobby. So yeah, it's not just you.

I'm not sure what's more humourless: ranking a list of everyone whose been a cast member, or sticking Norm at the bottom of it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ooh, tonight tonight...

John McCain and The White Stripes!

Yes there were some good sketches, McCain was a good sport, etc. But what really matters is The White Stripes. Finally, a chance to get a good quality recording of these classic performances. And a decent capture of their bumper. We all were still recording on VHS back in 2002. And if the timings are telling the truth, it looks like we'll get both songs - "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" and "We're Going to Be Friends"! I hope I'm right.

No Vintage next week, figure skating is on.

Edit: Kinda surprised they're not running Garry Shandling / Los Lobos from 1987.

pwn fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 26, 2016

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I forgot how much I hate this Fred Armisen bit.

E: and Fred Armisen in general

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

April lineup:

04.02: Peter Dinklage/Gwen Stefani; Vintage no
04.09: Russell Crowe/Margo Price; Vintage yes
04.16: Julia Louise-Dreyfus/Nick Jonas, Vintage no