Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Emalde posted:

After reading this thread rather carefully, this ironic post actually seems like the most reasonable and is quite possibly the path of least resistance :pwn:

Or be really good at something, or have a bunch of money. Those 3 (counting marrying a local) tend to be reliable regardless of country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Or be really good at something, or have a bunch of money. Those 3 (counting marrying a local) tend to be reliable regardless of country.

Being really good at something only works if it's from a list of maybe six or seven things.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Emalde posted:

After reading this thread rather carefully, this ironic post actually seems like the most reasonable and is quite possibly the path of least resistance :pwn:

Not actually ironic, really. I've done it once myself and I'm about it do it twice!

(Working for an international company as some sort of skilled worker works too, but it's more difficult).

Edit: as for European prices for electronics, note that European countries usually have sales tax of at least 15% (it's 20% in the UK right now), which is baked right into the price. There's a bit of a markup beyond that just because companies like to gently caress Europeans, but mostly it's the tax.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 6, 2016

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

feedmegin posted:

Marry a local.

Even that is likely to involve a hell of a lot of effort involving a massively bureacratic song and dance. Even if you already have a willing local citizen.

No Mans Land
Feb 26, 2016

by Cowcaster

neaden posted:

As a percentage of income American's have the cheapest food in the entire world. It might not be the healthiest or the best, but we have lots of it.

Theres tons of places around the world where fruits grains and vegetables are far cheaper than in the US. Ive travelled a lot, I know. The packaged junk is cheaper in the US, sure.

as a percentage of income..but whose income

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Waci posted:

Note that a difference in entry level wage doesn't mean the difference exists (at least in the same direction) higher up the ladder.

The opposite really, at least in some fields. My sister almost took a job as an engineer in the UK (living in the US now) and would have taken a 30% pay cut plus paid way more in taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Sheep-Goats posted:

Peace Corps is like EFL except you don't get to choose where to go and there's no chance you'll save any money. Terrible deal. No one is going to hear "Oh you served in the Peace Corps" after you're out and think anything more highly of you than if you'd said you'd gone on a two year long surf vacation. Same as EFL in that regard. Don't fool yourself.

That's changed a little bit. The application process has been revamped since 2014 (I know because I went through both kinds) and now they strongly encourage you to make a case for where you want to go (I know the language, I'm interested in this cultural activity, I'm familiar with this nation's history). Ultimately, they do pick where you go, but you can make a strong case for a locale.

Also, some guy's leaving the country I'm in with a few thousand he didn't have when he came in. YMMV but you shouldn't expect to gain money.

If you're interested in working for the federal government, you do get a privilege in hiring consideration (potential federal employers don't have to work as hard when picking from resume) after completing Peace Corps Service. You also get that for AmeriCorps VISTA service.

• Locked thread