Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea that looks great but I agree about the wheels, I don't like those. Gonna look way better with steelies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Steelies and a decent amount of sidewall is the way to go. It just looks better.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ansith posted:

I'll have you know that they're optional EF Falcon wheels! They'll be gone in a few weeks, I'm just going to get some 15" steelies.
16 slotters like what was used on the XW/XY GTs would look drat sexy on that car

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
Globe Alloys or Minilites would be better, The ultimate being Simmons from the era.

XtaC
Feb 17, 2011
Yeah, a set of gold centered globes would look great, just no 12 slotters please!

Looking great though!

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

You Am I posted:

16 slotters like what was used on the XW/XY GTs would look drat sexy on that car

GTs ran 5 slotters or (as mentioned) Globe alloys.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
I'm still trying to get some wheels, 90% of the places I've contacted just never get back to me with a price. Must not need money. The rest are too expensive.

Delaying the important part of this build even more too, I'm getting the interior done at the moment. The door cards are being made (6-8 weeks, made to order). Went with ZH Fairlane ones with some wood grain, not that I had any options because apparently they don't make XC ones. Keeping the cream colour, getting rid of the perforated vinyl and switching to normal vinyl. I was going to go cloth inserts but all of the easily available materials looked like poo poo or wouldn't suit the cream vinyl.

Selling that 944 I bought as well, going 50/50 with BA/BF ute replacement (will be perfect for when I find a turbo motor to go pick up) as a daily and the rest goes to the barra swap.

As a bit of a distraction, I had a big weekend in the XC. Yesterday I left to go to Rockhampton to see my other Grandma who is now in hospital, then after that I arrived back in Brisbane today. 1200km and around 16 hours.

The XC went the whole way with no issues at all. I even got a respectable 13L/100km out of it. This was the longest road trip I've been on in it so I was really happy with how it went, especially considering all I did was put petrol in, check tire pressure, and throw in a couple of screwdrivers into the glove box.

Was the perfect weather for it, cool and sunny.

This was just outside of Gin Gin after 350-ish KM. Even after catching a bunch of bugs it still looked great.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Ansith posted:

I'm still trying to get some wheels, 90% of the places I've contacted just never get back to me with a price. Must not need money. The rest are too expensive
.... going 50/50 with BA/BF ute replacement (will be perfect for when I find a turbo motor to go pick up) as a daily and the rest goes to the barra swap.
Nice to see it out on the road. I remember following the old xc thread 1-2 years ago.
gently caress knows what it is with regarding mechanics, wreckers and parts suppliers in this country, none of the fuckers ever get back to me for anything as well.
I'm trying to get my BA ute* barra back on the road as well, but also working on a BMW that I get better help with from the USA parts suppliers than anyone in Australia.

e: * going to need a respray as it's peeling "shockwave blue" paint factory fuckup

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 4, 2017

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
I've had an absolute poo poo time trying to sell my 944, had a buyer until he flaked out on me after a couple of weeks of bullshit. Now I've got someone in SA buying it for 3000 less than I wanted. I'm just so far over it I took whatever offer I could. I really just want to take the XC off daily duties.

To a bit of an update, I got some temporary wheels for it, the factory Fairmont GXL alloys. 14x6s. These will go on until I decide what I actually want to go with, it's a tough decision.

This was before cleaning, they came out really nice, only a small bit of rash on them. No idea what I'll do about the centre caps or the wheel nuts (looks like they'll take a different type than what I've got). All I really need to do is get some tyres which sucks because of the lovely selection of 14s these days.

I do have a big important bit of news too - I have a loom being sent!
Was sent this today, after paying a deposit about a month ago. Should get to me on Tuesday.

I was really worried about having the loom done because I bought that flash tuner and then didn't think that the loom might not have an OBDII port on it, which is why I waited so long to have it done. Luckily I had nothing to worry about, as soon as I was told it was included I put down the money.

I also contacted Castlemaine rod shop about a gearbox crossmember because that was going to be a pain to sort out. They make one for $230, so once the 944 is gone I'll be grabbing one of those. For the most part it looks like the swap should go smoothly if everything fits.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Ansith posted:

... ZH Fairlane door cards ...

Make sure you're supplied Fairlane/Marquis door cards; LTD rear doors are stretched slightly and the cards won't fit.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I think even the rear doors on that era of Fairlane are longer than the SWB Falcon's, but you are right in saying the LTD had longer rear doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XtaC
Feb 17, 2011

Ansith posted:

This was just outside of Gin Gin after 350-ish KM. Even after catching a bunch of bugs it still looked great.

Looking good mate!

Weird to see locales I frequent posted on a US board!

• Locked thread