Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Also, there's a new article up on Deadspin about some guy named "Mitch WIlliams" , who is in court this week suing the MLB Network. Incidentally, in order to explain why he's in court, the writer included the now-deleted Deadspin articles about Mitch Williams (which were helpfully included in the court filing).

http://deadspin.com/why-was-mitch-williams-fired-from-mlb-network-why-is-h-1786498406

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Slanderer posted:

Also, there's a new article up on Deadspin about some guy named "Mitch WIlliams" , who is in court this week suing the MLB Network. Incidentally, in order to explain why he's in court, the writer included the now-deleted Deadspin articles about Mitch Williams (which were helpfully included in the court filing).

http://deadspin.com/why-was-mitch-williams-fired-from-mlb-network-why-is-h-1786498406

The subtext of this article (which a lot of people in the article's comment threads appear to miss out on) says a lot:

1) "Seriously guys, we deleted those posts purely for accounting reasons and not for editorial reasons" is true
2) "wtf, those articles had legitimate merit and the lawsuits against them are totally frivolous" is true
3) "We will 100% stand behind our writers" is true

A lot of commenters seem to think that Deadspin is pulling a fast one here because they probably missed the part about how the interim counsel is reviewing posts before they go up, so they had to have gotten the okay from Univision to post this before doing so.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Slanderer posted:

Lol, they did't explain anything other than "our lawyers said to do this". They couldn't say precisely the criteria the lawyers used for making that call, or even if the lawyers had read the articles. Did you even read the inerview?

It had nothing to do with the content of the articles or the merits of the suits against gawker. They represented existing liability that they legally could not acquire. That's all the explanation that was required.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
It sorta makes sense, given this comment from the interview:

quote:

Keenan: These questions are from Tom Scocca. Are you going to republish the posts?

Isaac: Is that really a question?

Keenan: That’s what he asked me to ask you.

Isaac: I think the question does not need an answer after everything I’ve explained [in this] interview.

Keenan: Is it appropriate to say the implicit answer is no?

Isaac: The implicit answer is that’s the past. Period.

However, it just seems likely that this was allowed because they wrote a new article about a new trial this week, and managed to make those deleted articles relevant again.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

I though they almost came out and said yesterday that they'd be publishing the court documents. Trotter pretty strongly hinted at it, the lawyer said he was being very specific with the question, and then they had one of those off-the-record breaks, where I assume it came up. That was my reading at least yesterday, so I wasn't all that surprised to see it come out today.

quote:

Keenan: Hypothetically speaking, if the sites affected by the takedowns were to just say, here’s the content of the posts that was deleted due to a technicality of the acquisition terms, would that be like a nuclear bomb, or would that just be finding a way around the acquisition terms?

Isaac: If it opens a liability for the company which we were instructed not to carry over, it will be impossible to do. If it doesn’t, we’ll talk about it.

Keenan: Just as a sidebar, I believe most if not all of the posts in question, the ones that drew litigation are reproduced in court documents. When somebody files a defamation lawsuit they often include the article as an exhibit and, I’m not an expert on the case law regarding the publication of court documents, but the general principle, as I understand it, is that reporters and outlets are generally protected from defamation and libel complaints concerning the publication of court documents—

Isaac: Keenan, “generally” is the right word... [omitting the rest for length]

Jay: You’re being precise—

Then they go off the record after a couple more lines.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

uhhhhhhhh lmao

http://www.newsweek.com/joe-francis-gawker-media-nick-denton-493681

quote:

“It was really a coordinated effort,” Francis says.“It was an all-out assault. And we got him. It was like Osama Bin Laden. I liken this operation to killing Osama bin Laden.

(joe francis is full of poo poo btw)

oatgan fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 14, 2016

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

seth rollins needs to take some lessons on cutting a promo from francis. he's got this architect character down

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

oatgan posted:

uhhhhhhhh lmao

http://www.newsweek.com/joe-francis-gawker-media-nick-denton-493681

(joe francis is full of poo poo btw)

best quote

quote:

“They called my daughters ‘genetically modified,’” he protests. “Number one, genetic modification is illegal. There are no genetically modified humans that I know of. But to, like, attack innocent little babies? It's just horrible.”

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Re: Joe Francis, he's, at bare minimum, almost completely full of poo poo, though I do buy the idea that he wanted and at least tried to "clear the table" of everyone else. But there are tons of red flags in his story: TMZ never ran the tape, but he brought up getting them to take it down to the Newsweek reporter. David Houston is not exactly the most honest man, but he's telling the truth about having no clue who or what Gawker was before the Hogan post. I've listened to the entirety of that FBI sting audio, and even two months after the sex tape post, he somehow extrapolated from Nick Denton being British that Gawker was some kind of attempt at spinning off one of the British tabloids into a U.S.-targeted website. (Hogan thought it was some teenagers' personal gossip blog and not a real business of any kind, for whatever it's worth)

Re: The Mitch Williams thing, my understanding is they were going to cover the trial anyway. So you throw in the Gawker part of the case is over and you get the right recipe for Deadspin to be able to do this and Univision to get some good faith. But it's not necessarily a sign that they'll do the same thing for the Meanith Huon and Shiva Ayyadurai posts any time soon.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

A.J. Daulerio is on the latest Longform Podcast: https://longform.org/posts/longform-podcast-213-a-j-daulerio

The Wrap has some select quotes: http://www.thewrap.com/ex-gawker-editor-almost-went-into-hiding-after-hulk-hogan-verdict/

Well worth listening to even if you think he's the scum of the earth.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/02/gawker-settling-litigation-with-peter-thiel-hulk-hogan-for-undisclosed-amount.html

quote:

Hulk Hogan is getting at least $31 million in cash from Gawker to settle the wrestler's lawsuit against the media company for its publication of a sex tape, according to court documents.

Hogan, whose real name is Terry Bollea, is also getting a portion of some Gawker media proceeds, including part of its $135 million sale to Univision, according to the documents.

http://i.imgur.com/OnCoOwo.webm

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good news.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

SUNDANCE, MOTHERFUCKERS! http://www.reuters.com/article/us-filmfestival-sundance-documentaries-idUSKBN13P2RN

Yes, I'm interviewed in it.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Please https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/790990448793886722

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

That joke would had been fun and relatable were it not embedded in a tweet. Meet us halfway brother

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Haha, awesome.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Was the Hulk Hogan sex tape called Hulk Hoggin and if not why not?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Good to see Nick Denton is the scumbag we all knew he was.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/gawker-changes-tune-on-decision-to-publish-hulk-hogan-tape-1480709466

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anybody able to post the text? The link wants me to sign up to see it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

Denton is basically pointing at Daulerio and go "he gets full blame. him. him. we don't owe anything"

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/gawker-changes-tune-on-decision-to-publish-hulk-hogan-tape-20161202-00609
Google the headline and click to get past the paywall if that doesn't work.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You know I'm starting to suspect that maybe these guys weren't the nicest people in the world.....

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

So, considering that it was Terry Bollea that won and not Hulk Hogan, is any % of this going straight to Linda?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Oh wow. Congratulations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

It's unfair to blame Nick for this. Bankruptcy court is fickle as hell and Gawker kind of *has* to do this. That said, from my write-up:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/311555/gawker-throws-aj-daulerio-under-bus-new-court-filing/

quote:

In an interview with the Longform Podcast published in September, Daulerio was insistent that, when developing the Hogan piece, it went through enough channels he never felt like it was a danger to Gawker’s future. “I never felt that with that story, especially since it was vetted internally,” he explained. “I mean, there’s a reason it’s a minute and four seconds. I mean, there’s a reason the snippets of sex that are shown are there. There’s a reason we linked back to all of the stories that had already been talking about this tape. And Gawker was fighting off — I mean, Gawker was used to lawsuits.”

Any references to the legal vetting of the story were conspicuous by their absence throughout the whole case, likely because an “advice of counsel” defense leads to a waiver of attorney-client privilege between the parties. In Daulerio’s case, whereafter Gawker filed bankruptcy there were “so many conflicts” that he needed to find his own lawyer to represent him pro bono, you wonder if perhaps he needed his own legal strategy as well. But how could he have known that?

As Daulerio explained to Longform, “Everything that was told to me from the beginning about that this would not actually impact me personally was bullshit.”
I probably should try to talk to A.J. or his lawyer in the next couple days. IMO, those Longform quotes, in the context of known that Gawker specifically eschewed an advice of counsel defense, sure sound like him coming as close to saying "the legal staff told me we were fine" without actually saying it.

Also: one of the key WSJ quotes, which I cited in my article, is A.J.'s lawyer saying he thinks this is Gawker trying to get him to accept Hogan's settlement offer. While signing an NDA is probably the biggest of the factors he cited in turning it down, he also talked about it being kind of a betrayal to Gawker. Maybe this is Gawker's way of trying to get him to move past that.

Arbite posted:

So, considering that it was Terry Bollea that won and not Hulk Hogan, is any % of this going straight to Linda?
I asked Linda's lawyer. He was nice enough to respond but he declined to comment.

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Oh wow. Congratulations.
Thanks. I'm really excited to see what Brian put together.

My interview was shot in Johnny Rodz's office at his non-air conditioned wrestling school (Brian wanted something wrestling-y and fell in love with Gleason's) on probably the hottest day of August. And Brian had to turn off the fans for audio quality reasons. Thankfully I had a steady supply of bottled water and cleverly hidden wet paper towels.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

davidbix posted:

My interview was shot in Johnny Rodz's office at his non-air conditioned wrestling school (Brian wanted something wrestling-y and fell in love with Gleason's) on probably the hottest day of August. And Brian had to turn off the fans for audio quality reasons. Thankfully I had a steady supply of bottled water and cleverly hidden wet paper towels.

Careful they don't Nixon you! :ohdear:

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

Careful they don't Nixon you! :ohdear:
For whatever reason I tend not to sweat a ton and especially not from the brow so I trust Brian's assurances it wasn't noticeable. :)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

davidbix posted:

For whatever reason I tend not to sweat a ton and especially not from the brow so I trust Brian's assurances it wasn't noticeable. :)

What are your feelings on Charleston Chew?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

*reflexively arooos*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Been so long I forgot what it tastes like.

• Locked thread