Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

(poignantly topical photo taken from some dudes deviant art, watermark for credit)

The dead have risen from their tombs and brought with their arrival much fanfare...

At least for a few weeks... Of course, the eventual suicides and mass protests from religious zealots were a minor hindrance, but for the majority of the world, it quickly became business as usual. At first, most restaurants or businesses were scrambling to be the first company to hire one of the newly risen. Any kind of advantage to take people's attention away from their competition, and hopefully, stimulate a dying economy.

There were, of course, some casualties along the way. Dead employees don't really need to eat, not to mention the fact that a night's sleep for them equates to about 3 minutes of staring at a wall and then there all good to go. So the majority of service industry jobs have quickly gone out the window. Of course, there was one business that appeared to be recession-proof, that being the business of crime, and baby business was booming.

All throughout the world people were finding new and inventive ways to take advantage of the dead, what with their loss of memories and extremely gullible demeanor it's almost like taking candy from a baby. (Or, to put it another way almost like walking up to a dead person, taking their coat and then telling them it's yours.)

That is where you. Our main character come in. As a private detective, who deals exclusively with the dead you have a certain knack for solving the cases no one else cares to take. Either because solving a case for a man who is already dead seems like a waste of time, or because trying to get relevant information out of a gawker is pretty hard to do, especially for some of the... more "aged" ones. Regardless, you found yourself thrust into this business after the passing, resurrection, and then eventual mugging of your dear departed? reparted? Unparted? brother.

Today was shaping up to be a day just like any other, your brother Malcom was busy shuffling papers to and fro trying to appear busy mumbling to himself
"Clients, we just need some drat clients. It ain't right that the god damned gawker is the only one worried about where your next meal is gonna come from."
The same bullshit he's tried time and time again to confront you with. For a dead guy, he sure does nag like your ex-wife god bless her soul. Usually, you humor him and nod along, but not today. No, because today your coffee maker was broken the same coffee maker your dad gave you before his eventual passing, resurrection, and subsequent relocation to Hawaii to enjoy the sand, sea, and occasional seagull trying to eat his decayed flesh. So today, when Malcom walked into the office, all fire and brimstone preaching the virtues of the almighty dollar you threw a paperweight at his head and told him to gently caress off, hence his quiet (but not quiet enough) mumbling.

Yeah, today was shaping up to pretty business as usual. That is until she walked in. She was 5'6" and every bit of it was put to use. Tight black dress, red pumps, and a bob of blond hair were all that covered a body cut from marble. A part of you was hoping this wasn't just a business call but the telltale Teal and Orange of one of your business cards (Malcom's Idea) was all it took to crush that hope into the beach and bury it up to its neck in sand.
"Is this A.T.M. detective services? There's no sign on the door, but the receptionist told me this was the place."
Her voice was all honey and smoke, a deep longing stirred within you, and that long battered hope welled up in your chest again. Wanting to play it cool you simply responded

"Ah bluh, Andrew services."

Luckily for her, and the confused look on her face Malcom was there to step in and interject.

"Yeah, I'm Malcom, the M of A.T.M. and this is my brother Andrew, but I uh guess you might have already figured that out. He's the A of our business name. What'd ya need?" he punctuates his sentence by fluidly pulling out the worn leather stool (better for his posture or some poo poo) by his desk and sits.

"Uh, yes nice to meet you both, my name is Alysia, and someone told me your agency specialized in cases for the uh..."

She makes another passing glance back towards Malcom and stammers on her words, trying to remember the politically correct term for recently returned persons.

"Gawkers? Yeah, we do work for Gawkers, whatcha need?" Malcom, graceful as always interrupts her stammering.

"Well, It's my brother he uh... Is one of you" She motions towards Malcom, but quickly blushes beet red at her possible faux pas and continues quickly "I think he might have gotten hurt, I haven't seen him in a long time and his boss hasn't seen him either. This just isn't like him, I mean I know he's dead and all, and he has a hard time remembering stuff. But you know the first thing he did when he rose out of his grave?"

Her eyes search the room, almost like her question wasn't hypothetical, and even if it wasn't neither of you were going to hazard a guess.

"He came to see me, oh it was just too much for me at first but eventually everything just returned to normal, and now... now he's gone again!"

Both you and your brother roll your eyes as the crying starts, you've both seen this same scenario a thousand times. Family member kills off the dearly returned, places an insurance claim on the wages lost from their final passing, and hires a down and out detective agency to make it look like there really trying to find them while they run off to Bermuda and mingle with other familiciders. It was only when she brought out the pendant she wore around her neck with a picture of his face in it that you both felt like heels.

Malcom brings a chair to the front of your centrally located desk and offers it to her, then joins you on the other side with his stool. After the crying stops Malcom clears his throat.
"So, where to start..."

(So begins the first choice. Depending on how you guys feel about the structure of the game I am more than happy to start putting together some suggestions, or multiple choice answers to some of the choices to give you guys some ideas. For now, I want to kind of run it by suggestion, at first, see if we can get a cogent story going. I always preferred CYOA games where it didn't feel railroaded to an eventual conclusion. My plan is to try and make at least a bulky update once a day, but sometimes situations will arrive story wise where it's going to require more rapid fire updates to keep things moving along.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
kill her

• Locked thread