Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ferremit posted:

Verboten! Cant have em with my bush fire attack level if i want to be able to insure anything inside it...

What? Really? It must be so dark in there without any windows, it would drive me insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

You Am I posted:

What? Really? It must be so dark in there without any windows, it would drive me insane.

He's got one really big window on the front...

And a shitload of lumens from LEDs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ferremit posted:

Rain water drainage is all gravity powered- the piping in the ground is all sealed and the tanks are lower than the gutters so it all flows into the tanks when it rains and the downpipes are always full to the top of the tanks. No backup on the pump yet, but I'm thinking of just a cheap Chinese genset to run it if we loose power

So do you use that water for all of your needs (drinking too?) or just some? Do you have to filter it at all? Seems like if I tried that here in AZ, aside from running out of water I'd also have a shitload of dust contamination to deal with.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

So do you use that water for all of your needs (drinking too?) or just some? Do you have to filter it at all? Seems like if I tried that here in AZ, aside from running out of water I'd also have a shitload of dust contamination to deal with.

It'll depend entirely on what you're using the water for. Irrigation, washdown (not house water), that kinda stuff? No filter necessary, just make sure the pump isn't going to get hosed by some particulate. I'd be real nervous about using it for drinking water, as from the sounds of it there's potential for surface water to infiltrate to the tanks. This means any potential contaminants on the ground can get into your water source (spilled a few drops of oil last oil change, and the rainwater runs through it into your tanks? No thanks. If it's sealed from infiltration and all you're getting is rainwater that's never touched the ground, there's probably a multimedia or sand filter up front which is all you'd need to take suspended solids out. Likely chlorine dosing between the tanks and the house as well. 37 cubes is a lot of water. Water treatment for potable sources is so incredibly dependent on local conditions though, it's hard to say.

Source: I design small potable / ultrapure / wastewater systems for a living - think systems that are built in shipping containers and sent to remote mining sites, as well as industrial (power generation, deionized water requirements, etc) systems.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Ferremit posted:

I'm absolutely over the moon with them- they're the new KO2's and they're great. Haven't had em hardcore off-road yet, but fast gravel and paddock work they're really good, road manners are great, even on wet tar and they seem to be wearing really well- I've done about 10K kms on them now and have dropped 1-1.5mm of tread off them?

And my truck isn't exactly the lightest thing in the world either!

Sweet, I'm tossing up between them and the KM2s for my BJ73, and tossing up 32x11.5 or 33x10.5.... much the same cost for any option just not quite sure which suits me best. Had KM2s on my surf and they were getting down to useless as mud tyres at about 40,000k's on em, had real good life out of the original KOs on 70 series cruisers in Oz at work though

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

IOwnCalculus posted:

You guys are SERIOUSLY overthinking the water bit! :v:

The rainwater is for everything potable- Drinking, cooking, washing dishes, washing clothes, washing selves and topping up the spa. There's reclaimed water that's returned from the sewerage treatment works and that's for flushing the toilets and outdoor irrigation. Its safe for human contact, but because its not RO its quite laden in nutrients and salts.

The tanks are sunk into the ground, but only by about a foot or so, and that's only because I've got 2400mm Above Base Level (ABL- the top of the cut the slab sits on) gutter heights on the verandah- the main roof has 2700mm ABL and wouldn't need the tanks to be sunk at all. Tanks are poly and fully sealed from the outside environment. Dust is a bit of an issue with the construction work going on around, but in reality i live 45kms from the CBD of one of the least polluted cities in Australia, so rainwater contamination isn't a real big concern. Ive lived on rainwater all my life and havent suffered any ill effect. Theres also evidence that by living on more "Alive" rainwater (its not chlorinated to hell and back) helps keep your immune system a lot more robust.

Filtration is pretty basic- 50 micron primary filter and a 20 micron secondary filter and that's mostly to keep crud out of the valves on the hot water service because if the inlet screen on the temper valve blocks up and reduces water flow it instantly fails to 100% cold water. Not fun at all when its 2 degrees and raining sideways outside. Some people fit a carbon filter to take the "Rainwater" taste out of the water, but we don't mind it so its no biggy. At work where we have a rainwater service we've got the particle filters and then we run the water through a UV tube to make sure its dead, but that's because we cant guarantee we don't have anyone who's not imuno compromised visiting so better safe than sorry.

And i'd MUCH rather drink the rainwater than the domestic water supply piped around Adelaide. A quick google search of "Adelaide Water Quality" is always funny.

In shed news, I've finished all the conduiting and wire pulling for the rear end of the shed!

Now theres just four more runs to do- one each to a spotlight on a sensor above the main front door and personal access door, running in the 10A dual GPO by the PA door and the single 10A GPO up near the roller door motor and then running the last leg of the 15A circuit for the dual weatherproofed GPO by the main door.

Then all I have to do is get my pet sparky to come around, finish in the sub switchboard and hook it into the house main board

gimpsuitjones posted:

Sweet, I'm tossing up between them and the KM2s for my BJ73, and tossing up 32x11.5 or 33x10.5.... much the same cost for any option just not quite sure which suits me best. Had KM2s on my surf and they were getting down to useless as mud tyres at about 40,000k's on em, had real good life out of the original KOs on 70 series cruisers in Oz at work though

Im running the Toyo Open Country Mud Terrains as my play/touring tyre in 285/75R16 on the cruiser and absolutely LOVE them- i'd be up to around 40-45K kms on them and there would easily be 1/3 tread left on them. Theyre heavy as poo poo tho, and stiff as a bastard because of the massive sidewalls in them but offroad they are absolutely beastly. Theres a picture out there somewhere where someone had them on their 70 Middy and had the 4 valve stems in their hand and the rims were still about 1/3 the way off the ground!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Makes sense! Somehow I had the impression that you could get surface water infiltration, but if not that's a great system. I'm a bit surprised that you're not running UV or Chlorine, around here that's pretty much a necessity. And yeah, city water is typically awful, the levels of pharmaceuticals in the water these days is alarming. I'm looking forward to moving out of the city and onto well water.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ferremit posted:

You guys are SERIOUSLY overthinking the water bit! :v:

Hey, it's completely foreign to me. Our annual average rainfall is about 1/3 of yours so even if we had gutters and piping to collect it off the roof, the dust buildup on the roof alone from the whole weeks / months that go by without a drop of rain would make stuff pretty nasty.

That shed is looking loving awesome.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

All you need is for Sheriff Joe to declare dust a vegetable so that he can feed it to prisoners, and then suddenly you're getting your 3 per day from the drinking water!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

All you need is for Sheriff Joe to declare dust a vegetable so that he can feed it to prisoners, and then suddenly you're getting your 3 per day from the drinking water!

....I really wish the Justice department would ream him already.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hey, it's completely foreign to me. Our annual average rainfall is about 1/3 of yours so even if we had gutters and piping to collect it off the roof, the dust buildup on the roof alone from the whole weeks / months that go by without a drop of rain would make stuff pretty nasty.

That shed is looking loving awesome.

I reckon South Australia gets less rain than Arizona. Or about the same.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

I reckon South Australia gets less rain than Arizona. Or about the same.

For being a dry sunblasted hunk of rock, SA actually gets a surprising amount of rain..... just usually in big hits in winter seperated by huge stretches of drought and excessive evaporation in summer. Even Alice Springs on average gets more rain than Phoenix.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So things have been on hold till my electrician has a free day to come around and finish the job off, so I've been keeping busy with other projects. Like building a deck!

Treated pine framing, Blackbutt hardwood decking. Got a fair bit more to go, but other pressing needs have come up- namely my cruiser has shot brakes and needs its injectors done desperately.

So with that in mind, we got stuck into the shed today!

Finally have light switches and a real switchboard. And 29 total outlets, 28 at usable height (one for the roller door)

And outside lighting- These new LED spotlights are absolutely awesome...

So now its fix the car, then get quotes for how much its going to cost for me to get 54 square meters of 125mm thick concrete slab laid... :homebrew:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Adiabatic posted:

I love the amount of workshops going up all over AI.

We're all getting old and tired of laying on cardboard over gravel driveways.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

trouser chili posted:

We're all getting old and tired of laying on cardboard over gravel driveways.

Seriously this. Also lifting cars onto jackstands gets really loving old, especially when you need to do it in multiple stages (lift car once, secure on stands, place 2x6s under jack to get enough height, repeat) to get it high enough to work under.

Looking good op, loving the metal frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Slung Blade posted:

do it in multiple stages (lift car once, secure on stands, place 2x6s under jack to get enough height, repeat) to get it high enough to work under.

Ugh, I got a new jack and while it's nice that it doesn't weigh 100lbs like my old one, it doesn't lift as high as I need. This is now my life and I'm so sore from last weekend. Someday maybe I'll have a lift.

• Locked thread