Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So, Scot Goons, in five months I will flee Canada and land in your beautiful nation with £8000, a two year work visa, and zero degrees or work experience to my name beyond punishingly niche industries (digital anti-piracy / content management, and plastics manufacturing).

Tell me the secrets to surviving in the fine city of Edinburgh, preferably those most relevant to finding employment as I already have living quarters locked down. How is public transportation? What hurdles will I face acquiring a motorcycle? Where in the city should I absolutely avoid? Are there stairs in the houses there? :ohdear:

Rime fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Eight thousand pounds will last you about six months or so btw.

Jobs are easy to come by at Festival time but outside that I am not really sure what your situation might be. Food service, retail and bar jobs I should think.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Also you'll need a job that makes more than £35,000 / year to not get kicked out of the country, a law which is supposed to go into effect in April. I'm not even sure how you got a two year visa to the UK right now without even having a job lined up, given how utterly hostile the current administration is to non-EU workers (including--actually particulary--commonwealthers).

Tons of articles on this, but e.g.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...e-a6814841.html

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Well, that's for migrants there longer than five years. I'm coming over on the two-year youth mobility visa for commonwealth citizens which has few restrictions on it.

Is the market really that hostile right now? Honestly that's my greatest concern, being unable to find work because I am Canadian. :(

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Oh, yeah you're right. I had heard about it but I'm not British and don't live in the UK so I haven't really cared enough to follow it closely.

I don't think it's that the market is so hostile, it's more the the government. Scotland used to be doing a lot better than the rest of the UK, but since it's basically an oil state I bet they're not doing so hot right now. Anyway I have no firsthand knowledge, don't trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Saladman posted:

Oh, yeah you're right. I had heard about it but I'm not British and don't live in the UK so I haven't really cared enough to follow it closely.

I don't think it's that the market is so hostile, it's more the the government. Scotland used to be doing a lot better than the rest of the UK, but since it's basically an oil state I bet they're not doing so hot right now. Anyway I have no firsthand knowledge, don't trust me.

Edinburgh is one of the most international cities in the UK. And Scotland as a whole loves the commonwealth because Highland Clearances and Potato Famine.

The main problem is the OPs apparent lack of valuable skills. Whether he makes it is basically up to his hustle.

• Locked thread