Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Dunno if the new patched hosed things for me, I think I need like a VRAM meter in the settings that tells me how high I can push various settings. The initial load on this game is frustratingly slow and sticks out when I'm crashing here. Would prefer my competitive games to be more lightweight to get into matches quickly before hero picks even come up.

And for the love of god be alt-tab friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Drakes posted:

I think this just a settings change. Maybe toggle to "maximized window" or something?

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
I play on PS4. Mostly support characters like Fey, Belica. IGN is ordius.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Drakes posted:

Dunno if the new patched hosed things for me, I think I need like a VRAM meter in the settings that tells me how high I can push various settings. The initial load on this game is frustratingly slow and sticks out when I'm crashing here. Would prefer my competitive games to be more lightweight to get into matches quickly before hero picks even come up.

Maximized window, even allows the game to pop up notifications when you find a match in the background

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Lookin' to play with some goons. Been playing in the closed beta off and on and saw Lt. Belica and she's super fun. Exactly the hero I wanted. I use the same name in-game, so feel free to add me. I haven't played a match that wasn't against the AI yet, so I dunno how that'd go.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Oh alt-tab works fine, I just feel like more resource intensive games just seek opportunities to gently caress up the moment I alt-tab for anything even with borderless window options :v:. Anyways think my VRAM issue was due to chrome having some memory leak overtime apparently? Found some posts dated back to 2014 about it.

Winded up getting a 24 hour ban from those crashes and can't be assed to deal with the 5 minute initial load before attempting to load back into a match after a few times.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
PGEU-CLCY-PYST-AEDD-NZWE-UAIK

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Zoobtro posted:

PGEU-CLCY-PYST-AEDD-NZWE-UAIK

Thank you!

Much appreciated.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Apparently Paragon is getting a patch that changes almost everything about the game. New, smaller, more active map, higher move, attack and cast speeds, balance changes to almost everyone, more defined player roles a la other MOBAs, jungler, support, ADC, etc. Dunno if it'll fix anyones problems with the game but it might be worth a shot. Third person MOBA is a cool idea and SMITE is terrible, maybe eventually Pairadong will be the answer.

TerribleBurden
Feb 21, 2004

Your Face....It's Gone!!!
Yam Slacker

Orv posted:

Apparently Paragon is getting a patch that changes almost everything about the game. New, smaller, more active map, higher move, attack and cast speeds, balance changes to almost everyone, more defined player roles a la other MOBAs, jungler, support, ADC, etc. Dunno if it'll fix anyones problems with the game but it might be worth a shot. Third person MOBA is a cool idea and SMITE is terrible, maybe eventually Pairadong will be the answer.

I'm still at work, but from watching some Twitch streams, the new patch looks like a lot of fun. Time will tell if it's an improvement in the long-term though, since it will take time for people to figure out what the new meta looks like. I am very hopeful though based on what I'm seeing.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I hope they fix whatever causes the game to give up because chrome used a bit of vram or something.

TerribleBurden
Feb 21, 2004

Yam Slacker

Drakes posted:

I hope they fix whatever causes the game to give up because chrome used a bit of vram or something.

I can't really speak to the performance issues. The only issues I've had with it are interactions between it and OBS when I'm alt-tabbed. OBS will grab the Game Ready prompt that Paragon displays on the desktop instead of the actual game window. It might be worth trying it again if it's been a while since you played though just in case there have been performance improvements since then.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
This basically plagued me half the time in paragon if I had chrome up

I understand what its saying but I'm not cranking the settings high with medium textures and 3 GB of VRAM, and Paragon was the most crash happy when alt-tabing/shifting focus out of other games I play. One time I got that texture memory error pop-up but managed to drag it and shove it aside on my screen while the game kept going with no sound.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Thoughts so far on Monolith

movement speed is better

abilities are faster, map smaller is a good decision and is is a step forward

still think that wards being able to be seen is dumb as hell, same goes for seeing enemy mana. You have that in Smite and its much more intuitive and u have to outsmart them and play chicken with them. People get more aggressive when they see that you're out of mana.

still dealing with a few people who keep kill chasing across the map instead of focusing objectives

Lt. Belica's Q needs a faster response time since now their movements are so much faster. You have to be point blank with her if you even want to deal with them CC wise. They practically run right over the area that you anticipate to hit them regardless unless they backpedal. Now that I think about it they just might need to reduce speed just a smidge, it's practically juke city.

I still think if you're going to have a viable moba, you're gonna have to seperate PC from Console players. It's not an elitist thing but Console players have very limited communication and it's impossible to notify them to defend or push a lane or warn them.

Paragon needs a VGS system like Smite so that you can actually tell people that you're backing, or you're going to defend a certain lane and not that you're ordering them all to run to the lane.

Also "Enemy Missing" can apply to so many things vaguely that people pushing their lane think they're safe since its not addressed to you, and in a worse case scenario, you're both pushing and have to back off because you don't know which lane is missing. Believe me, people do not read the map, like at all.

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 7, 2016

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
How's this games community on PS4, especially when compared to Smite? Is it worth getting into, or is it dying? I heard people were really liking monolith, whatever that is.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Orv posted:

more defined player roles a la other MOBAs, jungler, support, ADC, etc.

This is a thing I don't particular care for, enforced metas annoy me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cerepol posted:

This is a thing I don't particular care for, enforced metas annoy me.

I think it's fine to have more established roles as long as you're not punished for picking odd characters to fill those roles. I definitely prefer having established lane roles over just total anarchy that leads to completely impossible lanes or unstoppable snowballs. The All 5 Mans All Day meta that Paragon has been since the start of open beta wasn't any fun for the losing team because there's almost no way to come back from it if you lose the first couple fights or your team of solo queues won't work together.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 7, 2016

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How's this games community on PS4, especially when compared to Smite? Is it worth getting into, or is it dying? I heard people were really liking monolith, whatever that is.

Its crossplay with pc, so it is one community

Orv
May 4, 2011
Apparently people are up in arms over the update, lot of pretty vocal complaining in various places.

That aside, I like the changes quite a bit, I thought Paragon before was, at best, unwieldy and opaque, and this does a lot to alleviate that.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

My Matches are still running long, yet I am still enjoying it more. Mainly because I am always doing something that actually feels interesting rather than time filler, Also my favorite hero, Howitzer, is a lot more dangerous with all the armor changes happening.

TerribleBurden
Feb 21, 2004

Yam Slacker
There is almost constant action in the game now. I love it and I love how the game is all about damage again. That everyone building tank builds meta was garbage.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Lastgirl posted:

Also "Enemy Missing" can apply to so many things vaguely that people pushing their lane think they're safe since its not addressed to you, and in a worse case scenario, you're both pushing and have to back off because you don't know which lane is missing. Believe me, people do not read the map, like at all.

Try: Watch Out *insert lane* instead?, I still think that is a quick chat option

Edit: For some reason this kill was rather satisfying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFFPlkrkmmk

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 7, 2016

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I think the new map is a lot better, but the sped up animations all look really silly.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I've been having a lot of fun with the recent update to this. I've always been interested in this game and I like that their mission statement seems to encapsulate a lot of the things I'd like MOBAs to do to reduce toxicity for the genre.

I'm loving the more-defined roles and how that makes tutorials much easier to give out, which they have started doing in spades. I understand that this might ruffle the feathers of people that want to establish their own roles, but I think they can still do that once they get to upper-levels and are building their own teams.

I like that they are committed to reducing match times: not only does it make it easier for busy people to play, but it reduces the stress from long matches and mistakes, reducing toxicity. Unfortunately it looks like the Monolith update didn't do anything significant to match times yet, but they still seem to be in the 30 min range which is alright.

I also really like the feel of combat in this, especially considering the faster gameplay. I was worried that the faster pace would create too many 'deletion' scenarios, where your health goes from 100-0 and you have no idea what happened. The game does a good job with things like screenshake, character reactions, and chunky sound-effects to actually make you feel the hits and thus, receive information, whereas a game like Smite has barely any pain indicators, leading to unsatisfying and confusing rapid deletions of your health.

In terms of backlash, one of the things that looks to be causing the most confusion with this update is the increased movement penalties for attacking/strafing/backpedaling: no longer can a melee ganker stick like glue to a retreating laner, because if the retreater chooses to commit to running by turning around, then he will get away much faster. It made sense to me, coming from researching other MOBAs, but I can understand the confusion since Paragon had a more simplified 'no movement penalty' rule before (except if you consider travel mode).

Will be interesting to see where it goes from here, but at the moment, I'm liking it a lot. It's straddling a cool line between slow MOBA and fast-paced brawler/shooter, trying to get the best parts of each.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Nope this game still loves to self-destructed on me upon loading into a match, if its a memory issue and this game is THAT vram intensive I wish they had some estimated vram usage number/gauge so I can figure out what settings to work with. Think my PC setup is trash for UE4 or something maybe, tried that UE4 powered spaceship moba and it kinda has the same thing. Can run other things fine.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I still wish they would get rid if the stupid dithering on hair. It forces me to use FXAA just to try to hide it (and I hate FXAA for how it blurs the image).

Also, if anyone wants to play just send me a friend request, I use the same name on Epic launcher thing.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I decided to download this tonight after not playing since hammer reaper bro came out so if anyone doesn't mind playing with a total scrub I'd like to do some matches now that finals are ending.

TerribleBurden
Feb 21, 2004

Yam Slacker

PureRok posted:

I still wish they would get rid if the stupid dithering on hair. It forces me to use FXAA just to try to hide it (and I hate FXAA for how it blurs the image).

Also, if anyone wants to play just send me a friend request, I use the same name on Epic launcher thing.

Yeah, the more detail they give to the hair in this game, the worse it ends up looking. Countess is the best example of this problem. Other than that, the engine is great. Also I'll send you a request when I get home tonight.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
In case anyone missed it, they are currently having an event to get a free special skin (not just a recolor) for Twinblast by simply playing 10 games between Dec 13th and Dec 31st: https://www.epicgames.com/paragon/en-US/news/v35-1-release-notes

Seems pretty generous and a good thing to promote more and more Monolith matches.

TerribleBurden
Feb 21, 2004

Yam Slacker
I realize that I forgot to post this before, so my game name is Terribleburden if anyone wants to play. Also I really want those Scarab Grux skin recolors that they have in the loot crates.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'll never get tired of executing fleeing enemies as Belica. That pistol is just so meaty sounding. Super satisfying.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

PureRok posted:

I'll never get tired of executing fleeing enemies as Belica. That pistol is just so meaty sounding. Super satisfying.

While in the jungle earlier this week I blew a jumping Rampage out of the air. Talk about satisfying.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Ok, my friend got me interested in this game and so far, all I sort of know how to play is Steel. But now I think I should probably learn more roles so I am trying to figure out how to do that without loving up a game. It's kind of hard right now since a lot of guides are for the old version. Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent guide?

Also, when you are leveling, do you usually go for attack first, or defense? I was thinking attack since it helps to get last hits, but then again, you can't get last hits if you're dead, so....

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

current meta is building damage, but that is more about cards. Ability wise it kind of depends on if you are in a lane with someone or not. if you are in the 2 vs you lane, You want to be able to sustain yourself.

TerribleBurden
Feb 21, 2004

Yam Slacker
Finally got all the loot from the loot crates. Gideon skeleton is best Gideon.
Grinding out ELO in solo queue is so hard when people just disconnect, AFK, or have no idea what they are doing.

blackguy32 posted:

Ok, my friend got me interested in this game and so far, all I sort of know how to play is Steel. But now I think I should probably learn more roles so I am trying to figure out how to do that without loving up a game. It's kind of hard right now since a lot of guides are for the old version. Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent guide?

Also, when you are leveling, do you usually go for attack first, or defense? I was thinking attack since it helps to get last hits, but then again, you can't get last hits if you're dead, so....

I think Paragon.gg and Agora.gg have current guides for Monolith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Hey goons, I started this thread over 10 months ago when I first got my early access invite, and have long since lost interest...

As you know, I haven't updated the OP in a very long time, which looks bad to new goons looking to get into this game.

I'm going to be closing this thread, I would encourage anyone else who has interest in this game to forge a new thread of their own.

• Locked thread