Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Noam

The Hocus | Cool+0 | Hard+1 | Hot-1 | Sharp+1 | Weird+2
XP ●○○○○» | 1-armor | 0:00 harm

I am hurt all over but for my skin and bones. I feel like a hollow vessel, with the words and screams and hate still ringing inside, as painful as any beating I have ever taken. The shouts that wake me up are pleasant in comparison. It does not make it any easier to rise, but that is provided for by the aggressive posturing with the shotgun. I pick myself up slowly.

"There - there is no... need for hostilities", I stammer. "I was brought - here - in the Kranksturm. You know me. I've been here be... before."

I can see that this is not really a good explanation from their point of view. No matter. I just need to keep them from shooting long enough to figure out what's happening. Ethawel was right, they are on the edge. Pity I got into the middle of it.

"I had deals with your exorbitant Director in the past. I came here wishing... to s-speak to her."

This should give them a long enough pause for me to gather my bearings.

Reading the poo poo I got myself into: 2d6+1 9

Who's in control here?

XP ●●○○○» | 1-armor | 0:00 harm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Baby, the Chopper
Cool +1| Hard +2 |Hot +1 | Sharp =0 | Weird -1
XP: 4/5 | Barter: 0 | Armor: 1 | Injuries: Bleeding

I scoff at the huddled figure. “Pathetic and useless? Not a pathway to a long life Runner-man. But still, at least you didn’t lie to me. So as a gesture of good will, I ain’t gonna kill you.” I snap my figures and the guard-Brothers snap to vague attention. “Take him out to Flathead Rock, strip ‘im, and leave ‘im. Maybe Walkin’ The Road will burn the fucker outta him.”

I rise and spin round, ignoring the blubbering coming from the runner-man. “Rigg-bro! Take a looksee at this cage, let me know if there are any surprises left and what kind of price we could get for it. Blok-bro, you and your crew stay here to make sure it goes smooth-like. Once its been cleared, feel free to take your pick of that’s loose in the back there, bounty-like. The rest of my Brothers! While it seems the Queen Bitch doesn’t want to come out and play, she’s still left some toys in the yard! A fucker like what plugged Hedge-bro is sure to have a right flash ride, so let’s go find it!”

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I met a traveler

The hermit, Old White Eyes, finds the child on the second day after the storm, when he goes out to glean. The scav-gangs will have fought over the storm's leavings, and over their own spilled blood, and come and gone by now, so out he goes, with measured steps, calling up only in barest measures his accumulated stores of energy. He finds the child in a gully near a mass of scav bodies, unconscious and unbloodied, and it is curiosity as much as anything else that makes him haul the child's body back to his den. A few hours later, the child opens his eyes. Over a shared meal of gruel, the child says his name is "Sam".

Or set upon a golden bough to sing / To lords and ladies of Byzantium / Of what is past, or passing, or to come.

White Eyes wakes to the sound of scratching. He blinks in the dim light. The child is scrawling on the walls. He watches for a time, and when he speaks, the child is startled. "Thirty-five years I've waited for a sign, and now you bring it to me, out of the hurricane. That's your name now, child. Hurricane." He falls asleep again at some point. When he wakes again, it's morning, and the child is gone.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Key

Cool +3| Hard +0 |Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
XP: 1/5 | Barter: 0 | Armor: 2 | Injuries: None

He looks down at the assortment of bones and other detritus that the Queen has displayed before him, it didn't do much for him. Fortune telling was just a way for people to make decisions without the burden of doubt. Usually that was the case. Now he wasn't so sure. The fortune he saw was more accurate in places it shouldn't be. He looked up at her.

"I'm back to being Ace, the Shadow of Death. Ya got me there. I'm no longer fixing people up. Now I'm back to what I'm good at, killing. I should have figured my past would come back and now that it has. I'm looking to finish up any old business from the old days now that I'm back to my former profession. The only question I have now; who needs to die?"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Baby-boss, Blok's crew cheers in victory as they fall over themselves finishing their booze, but once the bottle's gone, they know to get to business as the guns come out. They're boxing Tahoe's truck like a fortress, as Rigg gets to work with his tools, figuring out exactly what you've got your mitts on now. Tahoe groans as Arne wraps him up and shoves him in Galawag's sidecar. Handy to have a couple of those available when you need them. Galawag gives Tahoe a smack and then the two riders dust off towards Flathead Rock. The rest of your crew roars their voices and their engines as they scatter across the Strip, looking for vengeance and loot. Shortly thereafter, you're flagged down by some of Colonel Crocker's army. Where on the Strip are you, and who'd you bring with you? They aren't overtly threatening, but of course they're armed. Seems like they want to have a little chat. What do you do?

"gently caress YOU, NOAM," the shotgun-wielder spits. Literally, spittle flying from his lips onto your cheeks, he's that close. "You come in here, behind our backs, when we're fighting a loving war, and for what? You don't loving fight, you cause all sorts of loving trouble. gently caress!" The other voice cuts in. "Easy, Nosecone," and Nosecone visibly relaxes. "You deal with him, fuckface," Nosecone snaps back, stepping away at an angle, but still keeping that gun trained on you. He lets the woman in charge step forward. "Noam, what exactly is so important that you come barreling towards a back entrance? Can't go through proper channels?" She turns and shoots a nasty glance at Nosecone. "Why don't you tell me what your business is? Coming from me, F1, it'll sound a lot better than marching you in front of the Director." How do you respond?

Hurricane, Director Redstone. You return to the real world, with throbbing headaches and a newfound understanding of each other. You wake up, but everything is still dark, save for a small slit of light. You also can't move particularly well, being bound back to back and tossed on a floor. The pain is real, and Director, you notice your arm is cinched off at the elbow, like the tightest rope ever is tied around it, but then you realize there's nothing below it. Must have lost an arm in the fighting. As you both come back to consciousness, you realize you're sticking to the floor a bit, a pool of Hurricane's blood is forming. Hurricane, you probably don't have a lot of time left before this gets Really Bad. What do you do?

"Ace of Spades, Shadow of Death, Key." She pauses like she's making a mental note of something. Then she smiles. "Killmeister, of course. The Golden Hoard indicates there will be a grand reward at the completion of the task." The Queen of Spades begins to collect her implements. "Killmeister fancies himself a King, and he's right. But he's the King of Hearts. The Suicide King. He's killing the Royals. So you're needed." How do you respond?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Baby, the Chopper
Cool +1| Hard +2 |Hot +1 | Sharp =0 | Weird -1
XP: 4/5 | Barter: 0 | Armor: 1 | Injuries: Bleeding

Yeah, the sidecars had been a good addition. Most of the Brothers didn’t want to deal with the handful we fixed up, but they became more popular after we got lost out out in The Rocks. The extra supplies meant all the Brothers came back from that shitshow. Come to think, maybe the cage could be of similar use. Something to think about after Rigg-bro clears it.

I won’t lie, I pucker up a bit when I see Verc and the rest of her crew waving us down outside of Wiggly’s. True that the Colonel's never said boo about the situation out on her ranch, but she’s always struck me as the sort to hold a grudge, quiet-like. At least I’ve got Tuna, Woot, and Mario with me and Verc is known to be the more level of Crocker’s hands. I pull up a bit from the group and tune down the engine, but leave it running. My crew follow suit, and I smile slightly at the two newbs picking up survival skills on the fly. Killing your engine in a situation like this is an good way for you to follow soon after. I pulling out my comb, I nod to the leader and touch up my hair.

“Yo Verc, zup? The Colonel talking to me again? Or are you gonna buy me that drink you owe me?”

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Key

Cool +3| Hard +0 |Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
XP: 1/5 | Barter: 0 | Armor: 2 | Injuries: None

"Just because there's a big pay day, doesn't mean I'm going to just run out of here and go kill him. I don't know if this is something I ought to do. Violence begets violence. If I manage to track Killmeister down and kill him, then what's that going to accomplish? When Killmeister dies, then that just means some other wannabe king or queen is gonna take his place. After they take his place, we'll be back in the same place. New king, same troubles. Maybe everyone should put their weapons down long enough to discuss what the problem is? Talking doesn't hurt anyone and it might even lead to a peaceful solution to the problems that got people fighting in the first place."

He wasn't opposed to using violence to accomplish his goals. Even though he gave up his life as a killer, he still believed in the use of violence to solve problems. In this case, he questioned whether it would accomplish anything. Kill one wannabe leader, then two more will pop up to fill the space. And while the wannabes fight to become dominant, people end up dying. Only peace a lot of those people will ever see is in death. Did they deserve to die because they follow some idiot with dreams of rulership?

"Queen, just so you know, I'd kill him. I have no problems putting him into the ground. What I'm worried about is what's going to come after he's dead. Is killing him going to solve any problems or just create more?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Director Redstone
The Hardholder | Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | XP ●●○○○» | 1-barter | 1-armor

I sit up, staring at the place my arm used to be. I don't want to accept it. Not the loss of my arm, not the loss of my cosmonuts. How could things have gone so wrong so quickly...

Part of me wants to just lay back down in the blood. But if I'm going to die, I can least do it in a blaze of fire, even if any chance of glory is gone.

I reach out - with my one hand - and shake Hurricane. I don't know where he came from... why I know about him, something I shake out of my head for the moment. "Get up," I snap at him. "We aren't dead yet, and there's things to be done before you bleed out."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Noam

XP ●○○○○» | 1-armor | 0:00 harm

I'll forfeit my right to explain myself here, given how unlikely it would be for me to do that. Rather, let us jump straight to the point. They are at war, so yet again, information was correct. And for them to react with such hostility -- they must be losing. I am late already.

And I cannot suffer for Lowe to win. His actions - his spying - his theft: all this proves he will come after us as well. I must either see the embers of the conflict light on, or at least burn Lowe to the point where he is not a menace to the Institute.

"I heard about your campaign against the Man in the War Rig, F1. And I came here to see what was going to happen, to learn what lessons you would show."

Yet I am late.

"Forgive my bluntness, but I can tell your people have not been triumphant yet. We can be of aid to you, as we have been in the past. Lowe has wronged us, stolen from us. A life is at stake because of his villainy. We yearn to see him brought low and recover our loss. Tell your Director thus: You still have allies you can call, and I can call them for you, and carry the word. You need all hands on deck right now, all stations manned! It is a small favour, and I merely ask that when you prevail, you allow me to take what Lowe's people stole from mine."

Hardly a very generous offer. But to a people in despair, it should seem even-handed.

• Locked thread