Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thank you for sharing him here so regularly. I never knew him, but I sort of feel like I did thanks to your photos and the care with which you wrote your posts. I won't forget him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I just want to echo everyone's thoughts, Butters was an amazing cat who got second (and third and fourth...) chances because of your diligent care. I'll miss his updates, but I'm glad he went peacefully in a loving home. Thank you for sharing him and caring for him all this time.

Godspeed Butterscotch, and may you finally eat your fill in cat heaven.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Chili posted:

He was a tremendously good boy, and I'll never forget him.
Neither will lots of SA. I'm so sorry.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Neophyte posted:

I just want to echo everyone's thoughts, Butters was an amazing cat who got second (and third and fourth...) chances because of your diligent care.

Yeah, I think it's hard to overstate how much better (and longer!) Butterscotch's life was for your presence in it. You got that cat through so much and gave him a happy and comfortable home full of love.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
Butterscotch was a wonderful cat and it was always a joy to see his updates. He never would've thrived as long as he did if it wasn't for you. Thanks for sharing his life with us SA weirdos - he'll definitely be missed.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful cat with us for all this time.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Thank you for sharing your stories and pictures of Butterscotch; they always made me smile.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thank you for bringing us stories of a great big cat. Goodbye Butterscotch.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
From the first page, back in 2016.

Chili posted:

OK, so what’s with this Butterscotch fella?

Good question!

This is Butterscotch:

Butterscotch was our house’s first (and hopefully last) foster failure. He is a truly magnificent beast.

When we got Butterscotch he weighed in at 30 pounds. For a domestic house cat, that is a crazy crazy amount of weight. He was formerly the pet of a little old lady who just couldn't help herself from stuffing him with treats 24/7.

Naturally, I needed to share the triumphant story of Butterscotch with my goon community. He found his first online home in the cute pictures thread, but as time grew on I kinda felt that with each post I made in there he was de-railing the thread. They even re-named the thread after him.

Much in the same way that he has overtaken our bed, and our couch, and our kitchen, and most of our free time, he had overtaken a thread. I felt it was time to find him a new home, and when I realized there wasn’t a mega thread for fosters, I thought this would be a good idea.

So while we all post our foster stories and questions, we also are excited about sharing Butterscotch’s journey to a healthy weight with you.

Butterscotch is currently weighing in at 24 23 19 16 15! pounds. Since we’ve gotten him he’s been steadily losing about a pound a month which is the optimal trajectory for obese kitty weight loss. We’re so proud of him!

From now on, Butterscotch updates, videos, and pictures will be posted here, but if you are interested in seeing some of his antics, you can check out my post history in the cute thread here, about halfway down the first page: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683290&userid=48029

Here are some highlights, for the lazy:

Videos:

Being the best/worst: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDbrIO25aZc

Doing the best he can to play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMMiwrzYCP8

derp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-KyqZOen_Y

Smooooooshing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Wk7aRSOhA

(I've uploaded a bunch more of these on my channel)

Pictures:

The picture posted when he was up for fostering:

After his first bath:

Snorlax Impression:

This:

This is pretty much how he always is when we’re home:

Couch surfing

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Thanks for sharing the legend of Butters with all of us Chili. He got a lot more time to stick around because of you and we’re all better for it. :unsmith:

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I am so glad Butterscotch found his way to you, Chili, not just once but twice. He got so much extra time from your care.

Thank you for all the buttery updates. :love:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How old was he when he first got rescued? Seems like he did fairly well if he was an adult cat despite all the challenges.

Ed: 16?! Thats a good run.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 15, 2024

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Sorry for your loss Chili, butterscotch was a wonderful cat and you clearly made each other's lives so much brighter

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Yes, I'm crying at this news, but thank you Chili, for sharing the best drat cat with us over the years. Butters had the best and longest life with you.

Rest well Butterscotch.

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

Thank you so much for sharing Butterscotch with us over these many years. His life was longer and better thanks to the care of you and your family. I am so glad he got to be your daughter's buddy.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Oh no Butterscotch! :(

Rest well, big boy.

Thanks for sharing him, Chili. I'll never forget Bathtime and the Infinite Sadness.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
If anyone wants to relive Butterscotch from the very beginning, here is the first post from the old Cute Pictures thread from 2015:

Chili posted:

Oh god you guys, I'm so happy.

My fiancee and are continuing along with fostering kittens/cats from our local SPCA. There was a cat that needed fostering who was... 30 pounds. Yes, a 30 pound cat. His name is Butterscotch and he looks incredible.

Anyway, we were going to pull the trigger but someone else beat us to it. But today, we found out that his current fosters have sucked and he didn't eat with them for 3 days! Needless to say these people were let go and we were immediately summoned to come and get him, we're one of the SPCA's favorite fosters!

It's a really good day, we get DAT FAT KITTY and we found out we're doing a good job.

Of course, there will be far too many pictures of Butterscotch posted on Friday, once we get him. According to our point person, he's very needy and cuddly. This is going to be the best.

He won't be Fat Kitty forever, we're gonna be working with him to get him to a healthful weight so he can be adopted (but this already feels a hell of a lot like a foster failure).

Are you ready for Fat Kitty? You better be ready, 'cos Fat Kitty is a comin.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Ofecks posted:

I'll never forget Bathtime and the Infinite Sadness.

I will always think of a fat cat hauling rear end as "the butter mile," which comes up a lot in our household because we have a dumb fat cat who's scared of a lot of noises, so she will charge full speed away from the dryer when it turns on and IT'S THE BUTTER MILE

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Oh Chili. I’m sorry for your family’s loss. Butter was a good cat and you gave him such a good life.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
I'm so sorry. We've been following Butterscotch for years, he feels like a part of the SA family.

You took care of him for so long. As much as he made your life better, you made his better. He honestly could not have had a better human than you. He's gone where pain can't find him.

He looks just like my boy Charlie who is 16.

Is there a local shelter or charity we can donate to in his memory?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I will never forget the times where you carried him out in the garden and watched him sprint back home, time after time again, just to get him some exercise.
It even helped me figure out a way to get my own adopted street dog to accept going on walks.

Thank you for everything you've done for Butterscotch and thank you for everything you've done for us.

Thank you Butterscotch for being a fat ball of sunshine in our lives.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Godspeed to the buttery boy and thanks for sharing his life with us chili. He was loved by those he knew and those he didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I'm sorry Chili. And sorry I never got to meet butterboy :(