Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

An extremely popular korean Manwha that has spawned a Japanese OVA about the prettiest of boys, the most perfect of poise, and some pretty drat good fighting. Noblesse is the age-old tale of the protectors of humanity, the 'Nobles'. Basically, Vampires. When pretty-boy vampire wakes up unexpectedly in the middle of Korea, he tracks down his assistant/minion/friend/scientist/school principal Frankenstein only to learn that he's been asleep in a coffin for 800+ years. In order to acclimatize himself to the modern world, he decides to attend school as a way of learning everything he missed while asleep. In doing so he makes friends, learns about ramyeon (ramen), and discovers he has absolutely zero talent for video games. Oh, also somehow he manages to collect a group of shoujo pretty-boys who are all also fighters straight from a shonen manga who become his devoted knights because he's just so perfect. Then he and his reverse-harem of fighters tear poo poo up and wreck people. Whether or not someone ends up dead after being wrecked by Rai and crew seems entirely dependent upon how pretty they are. If someone's drawn fugly as poo poo then it's a good bet they're gonna end up dead. And if there's a fight involving the pretty characters you better believe their shirt is going to come undone and show off perfectly sculpted abs.

The characters!

Cadis Etrama Di Raizel

Also known as 'Rai' for short, the panty-moisturizing main character pretty boy vampire who is perfect in every way except entirely clueless about the modern world. He has no idea how to work a window latch, doorknob, and is constantly pressured into playing PC games at PC cafes because his friends are assholes who like to wreck his poo poo online. He doesn't show emotion at all unless it's an incredibly poignant moment where it can hit the hardest. Has a severe hardon for ramen noodles, but only after they've 'grown' (Soaked up broth and expanded). He's the single most refined, noble, perfect person in the world which makes it all the more hilarious when his utter and complete cluelessness manifests. Also he's an ungodly badass overpowered fighter who curbstomps everyone. He is the titular 'Noblesse'. Did I mention how perfect he is?

Frankenstein

Frankenstein is Raizel's butler/manservant/minion/teacher/student/principal and pretty-boy runner up. He's also an insane genius and OCD neat freak. He is completely, utterly, 100% devoted to his master in a way that is not at all creepy as gently caress except for when it is which it always is. He is also a badass fighter who uses DARKNESS POWERS in a way that's guaranteed not to backfire.

Han Shinwoo

An ordinary human kid that is also like the strongest fighter in school. If you think this means he's going to be powering-up and fighting alongside Rai YOU ARE SO MISTAKEN. He is, however, the first friend Rai makes in the modern world and with his friends Ikhan and Yuna he tends to mooch off Frankenstein and Rai's hospitality. Deeply, deeply loyal to his friends and willing to stand up for them without any hesitation. You can tell he's tough because he wears a bandaid on his nose.

Woo Ikhan

Another ordinary human kid who happens to be a world-class hacker that decides to volunteer to keep the local police department servers secure because REASONS. Somewhat effeminate. He always hangs out with Shinwoo and thus becomes another moocher at Rai's place.

Seo Yuna

Shinwoo's crush and the third schoolkid to pretty much always crash Rai's place, her defining feature is the fact that she has boobs. She's a girl so she's bad at video games except she kicks Rai's rear end in them.

Regis Landegre

A young vampire who looks up to Rai because of the INCREDIBLE POISE that Rai exudes when doing literally everything. Completely convinced of vampire/noble superiority over humans he's kind of a douche at first but eventually becomes severely likable. Lacks experience in maintaining his composure no matter what, which makes him the butt of quite a few jokes.

Seira Roiard

Another young-ish vampire (Older than Regis but young compared to all the other vamps in the series), she looks after Regis as an older sister-type. Half guardian, half mentor, half role-model. Where Regis may get flustered, overexcited, angry, or shocked she manages to be almost as calm and collected and perfectly poised about everything as Rai himself. Almost.

M-21

An evil guy working for an evil organization because EVIL. Actually he's quite nice and friendly with the people he cares about. His best friend and him were experiments and now they create vampire thralls or something.

Tao

A weird computer hacker guy who is also evil because ORGANIZATIONS ARE EVIL. Because he's a hacker he gets all buddy-buddy with Ikhan. Is in fact a guy despite the fact that he has no masculine features whatsoever.

Takeo

Tao's friend and ally, he likes guns. That's his thing. The gun guy. His power is guns. Also - bullets.

Despite the fact that the series looks like it's created primarily for teenaged girls to touch themselves to while they imagine the perfect gentlemen characters holding them close, it's got some pretty goddamn good fighting scenes where people rip each other to shreds, blood goes splattering over the walls, etc. 'Training arcs' are mostly replaced with 'Hey Frankenstein make me stronger with YOUR MAGICAL SCIENCE' because everyone needs to get stronger to fight the big bad guys who keep coming in order of strength. Between the big fighting arcs and pretty-boy showdowns are amusing slice-of-life arcs where our clueless hero tries to fit in with his schoolmates and enjoy his time in school, despite being curbstomped digitally on a nightly basis.

Honestly, my descriptions cannot do this series justice. It's really, really good. Some health issues for the artist (or author maybe I get confused a bit here) have caused some delays about a year ago but thankfully things seem to have been cleared up and he's updating regularly once a week.

Read the whole thing in english completely free at :
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/noblesse/list?title_no=87

A 30-minute OVA was created but I felt like it was super rushed and tried to fit too much into 30 minutes. Hopefully a properly paced show eventually makes it to us. Watch it here :
http://www.crunchyroll.com/noblesse-awakening

khy fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
There needs to be a spot in the OP for our boy Razark. The best Noble. I'll be pouring one out for our homie

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

this looks like some low grade korean twilight, I'll check it out op

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I hope the implied potential romance between Seira and Shinwoo goes someplace, though I'm not exactly holding my breath since the kids seem to have more or less dropped out of the plot entirely. I am a huge sucker for characters who are normally super stoic and never express emotion blushing and stuff (Girls of the Wild's also does this a bunch).

edit: Speaking of Girls of the Wild's, it looks like poo poo is finally actually happening on the "who will Jaegu date" front (not like there was ever any doubt).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 20, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I enjoyed the ova for the most part other than how it kinda fizzles out at the end and it would be neat to see more of it animated. Rai is incredibly dull except when he's being a fish out of water but I love when Frankenstein gets to cut loose, but I think my favorite parts have been M21's development as a character and I've been kinda missing him and the other RK guys in the current arc.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

this looks like some low grade korean twilight, I'll check it out op

That's not a bad comparison, though it lacks the self-insert female love interest that made Twilight so popular. Which from my standpoint is a very good thing.

Though it would be hilarious if someone applauded and cheered on Edward every single time he opens a door without help.

Actually thinking about it now it's probably closer to Black Butler, with Frankenstein playing the role of butler to Rai.

khy fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 20, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like how we have never once seen Raizel's internal monologue. He is comically inscrutable and only Frankenstein ever has an idea of what is going on inside of his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

I like how we have never once seen Raizel's internal monologue. He is comically inscrutable and only Frankenstein ever has an idea of what is going on inside of his head.

Everyone always knows what is going on inside of his head, what are you talking about.

• Locked thread