Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

RandomPauI posted:

So, do I catch it this week or do I chance it going to the cheap theaters in a week or two?

It's getting murdered in the boxoffice so it all depends on whether your cheaper theater gets absolutely every movie or only the bigger grossers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I also feel like it's the sort of visual spectacle best absorbed on a nice screen. Like say, Cloverfield. Nothing special necessarily but I know some of the discount theaters I've been to don't always have the best set up. So it depends on what the ones round your parts are like.
But it's also a good point that a lot of the discount theaters wouldn't normally pick up a film like Hardcore Henry unless it actually did well, a little film like this tanking might not make that cut. Again I guess it's dependent on the discount theaters around you but in my case, if this is actually bombing (man that brings my completely empty theater to perspective I guess, but that actually made shooting the poo poo and drinking beer with my friend more fun) and if it doesn't build even some local buzz then I can't imagine my discount theaters would carry it.
It's usually the older big hits

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ape Agitator posted:

It's getting murdered in the boxoffice so it all depends on whether your cheaper theater gets absolutely every movie or only the bigger grossers.

It seemed like they got absolutely every movie at one point, even if only for a week or two. But they weren't able to get Star Wars or Deadpool so now I'm not so sure.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

I feel like this movie will do well when it comes out on stream/blu-ray, but will lose something on tv. Any chance to see this in the theater should be taken.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Based on the reception this film's gotten it feels like this decades John Carter. It's a fun movie to see on the big screen, few people are interested in the big-screen release, but it'll eventually make it's money back in rentals, tv broadcasts, etc.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

Based on the reception this film's gotten it feels like this decades John Carter. It's a fun movie to see on the big screen, few people are interested in the big-screen release, but it'll eventually make it's money back in rentals, tv broadcasts, etc.

I legit think this might become a cult classic.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The film is actually incredibly tightly written, to the point that every single gag contributes to the central theme of embodied cognition.

For example, though this is the plot content, the film constantly emphasizes that - in its very form - it is not a videogame. We are always several steps behind Henry, as he's sensing things that we don't and making decisions we can't understand except retroactively. The film is very non-immersive.

There's a new zombie movie called Pandemic in which the team of protagonists are in a type of hazmat suit. What makes it different is that every time there's an action sequence we see it from the helmet-cam POV. And while interesting it has the same non-immersive effect because you can only see what's directly in front of the 'camera'.

The concept is good but the overall execution...not so much. Kind of direct-to-video production values.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FQ88BPzSTQ

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Megazver posted:

I legit think this might become a cult classic.

Me too. I could see it being a fun thing to throw on the background for a party or something, because you don't really need to pay attention to it to get the gist of the plot.

I 10000% echo the sentiment that if you're even a little bit interested in it, go see it in a theatre if you possibly can though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Major missed opportunity in this movie: Akan never bursts someone into a cloud of gore with his brain, just throws people around. If you give your villain psychic powers in a hard-R action movie, I wanna see some dudes getting wrecked with psychic powers.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

effectual posted:

Also, I'd watch the oscars if Sharlito Copely hosted.

I;d watch Sharlto Copley do anything after seeing this, District 9, and Chappie. The musical segment was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Me too. I could see it being a fun thing to throw on the background for a party or something, because you don't really need to pay attention to it to get the gist of the plot.

I 10000% echo the sentiment that if you're even a little bit interested in it, go see it in a theatre if you possibly can though.

This is how I feel.

It's not a good movie by any means. But it's fun as hell. It's like a first person 80s action film. I enjoyed every second of it, but you're definitely there for the experience rather than the actual story.

• Locked thread