Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrodes
Oct 18, 2003

LOL RACISM!
Hey kids!

Long story short, my sister owns a 2005 Cooper S. It had some serious problems and all the kings horses and all the kings men didn't think the charger would be blowing again.

My sister bought a new car (no, not a cool one).

We just learned that the poor little fucker can be resurrected, but now Dad and I have to figure out whether it's worth the money to bring it back to life and sell it for her, or list the poor little bugger for parts.

So where can I find the best Cooper forums? The Canadian car market is vastly different than the American one, otherwise I would just ask you folks.

[example, a TT Z32 south of the border tends to top out around $12-14k, here you can't find a LHD one for under $18-20k or so, and even then it's not a prime example]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
northamericanmotoring.com

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Scrodes posted:

Hey kids!
Long story short, my sister owns a 2005 Cooper S. It had some serious problems and all the kings horses and all the kings men didn't think the charger would be blowing again.

What's the issue with the supercharger? Have you taken it apart yet?

Scrodes
Oct 18, 2003

LOL RACISM!

keykey posted:

What's the issue with the supercharger? Have you taken it apart yet?

Sorry, I guess I was trying too hard to adhere to the story line.

What actually has happened is that both timing belt tensioners let go and the crank and cam weren't in sync. The mechanic got them back in sync and it ran "very well". The car will need $2000 worth of work to get it back out of the garage in working condition (I'm getting the story thirdhand, sorry) so I have been tasked with figuring out whether it's best to sell it as is not running [track project/parts car] or put the money into it and sell the car running.

It's not my money and it's not my car.

I figured someone around here had to be a Mini owner and therefore could direct me to the best forum, where I could hopefully find a regional subforum and get some local opinions.

For now, trader.ca to get an idea of what the car would be worth.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

That's uhh.. really odd. There is only 1 tensioner in the 2001-2006 cooper s engine. There are 2 guides, 1 is static, the other is moved with the tensioner. In any case, it's a timing chain and if it fails it will typically jump a tooth or two, though if the tensioner has been bad for a period of time the extra slapping and such could also break the chain guides. But if it's taken care of, that's it. The most common reason for failing is the person driving it didn't keep oil in the engine. That's why I assumed it was the supercharger that failed. Which also is pretty easy to service. It's really a modular car once you get over having to take the face off to service it in any way.

Scrodes
Oct 18, 2003

LOL RACISM!
Well, to hear it from my sister, you would think that her car was her firstborn child.

The real story is she should never own a car. The most ridiculous poo poo has broken on it - the cover for the headlight washer is gone, the ENTIRE glove box was broken and is no longer in the car thanks too her [now] husband.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nodoze posted:

northamericanmotoring.com

This is what I used back when I had mine, it was pretty decent from what I remember. No idea what it's like these days though.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
If you can sell a car for up to 20k with only 2k worth of work required, you would be crazy to try and sell it as a non-runner.

Scrodes
Oct 18, 2003

LOL RACISM!

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

If you can sell a car for up to 20k with only 2k worth of work required, you would be crazy to try and sell it as a non-runner.

Sorry, I guess it wasn't clear.

I was just explaining that the Canadian used car market is vastly different from that in the USA, using the 300ZX as an example because I am familiar with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Oops! That's what I get for skimming through! Only just noticed the 'TT Z32' now you mention it.

In other news, TT Z32's are pretty freaking awesome.

• Locked thread