Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I used to spend Monday afternoons going to the local used book store and then going to the pub two doors down, sitting at a booth, and enjoying my new books with pints of delicious beer. Much better and quieter than the pretentious coffeeshop nearby where you can't get a seat because of all the hipsters writing their screenplays or novels or w/e

I'd recommend it but the book store closed years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I have a couple of stories about drinking at the bar:

1) When I lived in Chengdu a couple of years ago one of the expat bars was this place called the Bookworm, which had it's walls covered in English books for the patrons to read whilst they drank and ate. It was ACE!

2) Once, (truth be told more than once, but this one time), I got very very drunk and embarrassed myself at a bar. The next week, to prove to myself that I am not an alcoholic, and that I can drink without getting stupid, I went back to said bar, this time with a book. I had a civilised time with 3 or 4 pints reading my book and all was well.

Reading in a bar is a fun thing to do. But it depends on the book.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

/

lol

Hobo Pyro
Oct 17, 2010
i go to bars to drink alcohol

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Are you posting from a bar right now?

Hobo Pyro
Oct 17, 2010

The Sphinxster posted:

Are you posting from a bar right now?

no im in a tree

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hobo Pyro posted:

no im in a tree

As long as you aren't paying retail to get loaded!

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

staberind posted:

I met my ex-wife reading in a pub after work.

So there's that.

On the other hand, it was manga and she was Japanese.

lmao

Hobo Pyro
Oct 17, 2010

The Sphinxster posted:

As long as you aren't paying retail to get loaded!

i dont know what this means but i wanted to let you know im really rooting for vorian atreides right now

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

proctorbot posted:

Ive read at a bar before. Maybe its weird? Whatever, after work, chilling out with a happy hour beverage, who cares? I already know I am not cool and a little strange, I dont have anyone to impress. As long as its not late night shoulder to shoulder party time I think its fine... maybe not the coolest thing in the world... sometimes its nice to just soak up the ambiance of a place while enjoying a book?

Same. There is a nice growler bar right around the corner from my local bookstore, I get some sample pours, read and buy a growler of whatever tasted good at the moment and GTFO before it becomes the local meat market for the late 20s-early 30s crowd.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I think it kind of depends on the time of day and nature of the bar. You hit up a place that has some decent food for lunch, say, and you sit at the bar and read a book while you eat; nothing strange about that. If you were to walk into a bar on a friday night when it's loving packed and you sit down at the bar and start reading, that is pretty strange.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Do whatever you want, the judgement of others doesn't matter.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I like to sit at bars and read The Bible. Only God can judge me.

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013
I would kill everyone here to live near a cafe that serves alcohol

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Do whatever you want, the judgement of others doesn't matter.

Actually it does matter and if you aren't constantly worrying about your social standings or physical appearance then I strongly suspect you will not climb the ranks.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

notZaar posted:

Actually it does matter and if you aren't constantly worrying about your social standings or physical appearance then I strongly suspect you will not climb the ranks.

The bar I drink at is full of end stage alcoholic rednecks in their sixties, their judgement does NOT matter.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i read a book at a bar once, it was called HAVING SEX WITH THE OPS MOM!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
its weird but harmless-weird

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Nooner posted:

i read a book at a bar once, it was called HAVING SEX WITH THE OPS MOM!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

She said it was a short story :mrgw:

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ArbitraryC posted:

This thread kinda makes me wonder if some goons have only seen bars in movies or something, there are plenty of low key day drinking places that people read or even study at laid out like a coffee shop. There are certainly bars where you wouldn't do this and it'd be kind of weird at night but i can think of several places i went to frequently in grad school that had bookshelves you could borrow stuff from. One place in particular was pretty sweet cause they also had real good coffee and live smooth jazz for a solid atmosphere.

Basically if you get carded at the door its prolly not the right time or place, otherwise go hogwild.

Yes, but did you go to grad school? I don't think you've ever said so in any posts and the worlds gotta know

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Parity warning posted:

Yes, but did you go to grad school? I don't think you've ever said so in any posts and the worlds gotta know

i went to rad school

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

RideTheSpiral posted:

i went to rad school

me too and now I wear neon 80s skater shirts and pull some sick tricks on the half pipe!! and then I smoke a full pipe!!! whoa!!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

MiracleWhale posted:

me too and now I wear neon 80s skater shirts and pull some sick tricks on the half pipe!! and then I smoke a full pipe!!! whoa!!

youre back!! we all missed you MW (:

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Nooner posted:

youre back!! we all missed you MW (:

it's good to be back nooner good buddy! I missed you and the rest of the fine posters on this site too =)))

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i would say no but i'm weird so

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Shaquin posted:

an empowering bit of information if it is within your means and doesn't sound like total derangement when you say it out loud, it doesn't matter if something you wana do is a little weird or whatever. Most humans on this earth are very much concerned with their own business and while they might silently cast a judgement your way in their inner monologue ultimately they will not give a poo poo. there will not be a secret cabal of people meeting to talk about the weird guy who reads a book while nursing single malt at the older folks bar.

as long as you are good with the people you care about and the people who care about you please just be the person you want to be.

no good dirty feelgoodnik

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

let me be clear i have more than once read a book at a bar by myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013
read a book at Starbucks today and drank at a friends house but would be lying if I didn't think of day drinking at a booth in a bar on a day off

• Locked thread