Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Trast posted:

I'm reading through Civil War on Marvel Unlimited right now. Are there any crossover issues to look out for or specifically avoid?

What If: Annihilation is the best Civil War comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm reading some Gerry Conway issues of Marvel Team-up and he's having Spider-man travel to South America, Japan and the Himalayas like it's nothing, and the story has a ticking clock element. It's ridiculous.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gavok posted:

Also, yeah, having just read it it's great.

I hate What Ifs...in general and especially What Ifs based off of event series, since it usually boils down to fanfiction of stuff that happened (and when they're based off event series it's almost inevitably "Everyone died and it all went bad forever"), but What If: Annihilation was basically able to intersect both Civil War and Annihilation in a really powerful and effective way.

Also it's worth it just for Nova's absolutely loving incredulous reaction to the fact that the Civil War is even a conflict in the first place.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Toxxupation posted:

Also it's worth it just for Nova's absolutely loving incredulous reaction to the fact that the Civil War is even a conflict in the first place.

For those who haven't seen it...

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think my favorite part of that whole exchange is Worldmind getting ready to be a passive-aggressive snippy rear end in a top hat like he's always been to Nova and Nova just cuts him off.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

My favorite part is how Nova's first expression is "The gently caress?!" while his second expression is "THE loving gently caress?!"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Toxxupation posted:

I hate What Ifs...

Better watch that language with Gavok and I here.

As for Civil War tie ins; Civil War: Runaways & Young Avengers was a lot fun despite, or maybe because, it is very loosely connected to Civil War proper. My only warning is that it will make you want to read Runaways, Young Avengers, and Marvel Boy. Which are all great in their own rights.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Die Laughing posted:

And me. What ifs are the best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What Ifs own. They're about as much fanfiction as the actual story themselves anyway.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Just in case anyone was wondering hanging shelves do not support lots of trade paperbacks.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gavok posted:

The second half of What If: Civil War is also pretty drat good.

Die Laughing posted:

As for Civil War tie ins; Civil War: Runaways & Young Avengers was a lot fun despite, or maybe because, it is very loosely connected to Civil War proper. My only warning is that it will make you want to read Runaways, Young Avengers, and Marvel Boy. Which are all great in their own rights.

X-O posted:

And me. What ifs are the best.
:agreed:
I wish they'd revisit some of those earths some time. I know they brought back Rick Jones Hulk for Contest of Champions, at least.

Man, has that What If/Elseworlds thread fallen into archives already?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The best Civil War tie-in is the X-Men one where Tony shows up to recruit the X-Men and they tell him to piss off.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Didn't that happen in the main book?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yvonmukluk posted:

The second half of What If: Civil War is also pretty drat good.

Other than the ugly attempt to make everything look like McNiven, I really like the issue as a whole.

"Hello, Tony Stark. I have come to show you that Captain America was totally wrong when it came to Civil War."

"That's awesome!"

"But I've also come to show you that things would have worked out if you weren't such a dick about everything."

"...oh :("

But yeah, that scene of everyone teaming up against the Thor clone was kicking rad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

After hanging on for a ridiculously long time given his prognosis, my grandpa passed away earlier this morning. It really sucks that he only got worse and worse as time went on. I wish I could've given him just one day with his health and faculties back. He had to spend the last months of his life immobilized and confused in a bed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aw, sorry to hear. At least he went peacefully, and presumably in the company of family. That's really the best you can hope for.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Sorry, man. :(

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 30, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'm sorry, Lurdiak, and want to echo what Endless Mike said. I hope your family can find some happy moments—sharing good stories and each other's company—in the wake of this. :glomp:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Thanks for the kind words. This isn't easy on anyone, but we're all pitching in together to help my grandma get through it, if nothing else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Thanks for the kind words. This isn't easy on anyone, but we're all pitching in together to help my grandma get through it, if nothing else.

That's really all you can do. That's a crappy loss and I'm sorry to hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Hey, it's after midnight in South Africa, so here is the new chat thread for May

• Locked thread