Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Am I posting this in the right place? Anyway, I have a GAS son of ampzilla amp and Thalia preamp. As of yesterday anything I play (phono, aux, tuner) is bonkers. The best way I can describe it is that the levels seem way out order, some audio channels are gone completely, some are louder than they should be, some are very soft. Sometimes it sounds like there's a weird reverb in effect. I thought I was going crazy before everybody else noticed it. It affects both speakers equally.

So, what the hell is going on and who on earth do I take the setup to for a repair if need be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Have you experimented with other speakers to see if it's the same?

Frankly I'm not sure how an amp and a preamp works together (I just have one integrated amplifier), but try to eliminate either (and try with other speakers) and figure out precisely which component is causing the problem.

It could be the terminals of either the amp(s) or speakers. I once had that sort of issue you mentioned, random tones would be low and weird sounding, and I found out that slightly wiggling the cables in the speaker terminals temporarily solved the issue. The solution was cleaning the speaker terminals with sandpaper to make the connections good again, and I also think I bought some new banana plugs.

Oh, and you say "some audio channels", do you mean some frequencies, or do you mean that one (of the two stereo) channels drops out?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Pilsner posted:

Have you experimented with other speakers to see if it's the same?

Frankly I'm not sure how an amp and a preamp works together (I just have one integrated amplifier), but try to eliminate either (and try with other speakers) and figure out precisely which component is causing the problem.

It could be the terminals of either the amp(s) or speakers. I once had that sort of issue you mentioned, random tones would be low and weird sounding, and I found out that slightly wiggling the cables in the speaker terminals temporarily solved the issue. The solution was cleaning the speaker terminals with sandpaper to make the connections good again, and I also think I bought some new banana plugs.

Oh, and you say "some audio channels", do you mean some frequencies, or do you mean that one (of the two stereo) channels drops out?

I have tried different speaker and sub combinations, but no luck. Otherwise I 'll cleaning terminals. And yeah channels isn't the right word; I meant more like levels of various instruments, I'm not sure what that's called. Thanks for advice.

(edit: cleaned up male and female terminals -- no effect. I'm not sure how to test the amp or preamp independent of each other. I've always used them as a mated pair and I don't have any other component equipment lying around. I'm gonna try to find an expert in the PDX area, but I don't mind shipping the whole kit out of town for an overhaul if need be.)

Buce fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 2, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I'm on mobile and can't link it but try posting in the stereo thread in IYG too

Edit: how old is the power amp, and have you tried plugging an audio source directly into it (like an iPod set to low volume to start)?

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 2, 2016

• Locked thread