Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
goddamn, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Don Lapre posted:

Have them replace the entire wiring harness.

The dealer will undoubtedly find a way to gently caress your truck up worse if you let them do this.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'll keep my paperwork and make use of my prepaid legal service if I have problems.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Have them replace the entire wiring harness.

I think the last thing i would want out of a new truck is ford dealership lube bay techs replacing the wiring harness in it.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

frozenpussy posted:

Hah sorry, I stopped in yesterday to make an appointment but instead of making me wait they removed it.

So, what was it?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

McSpatula posted:

So, what was it?

He doesn't know, he'll have his prepaid lawyer figure it out.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The DEALER didn't make you wait? We are onto something big here. Like really big.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

everdave posted:

The DEALER didn't make you wait? We are onto something big here. Like really big.

This man speaks the truth.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Way late to the party but my guess was aftermarket remote starter.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I said it was a cellular data dongle hanging from the underside of my dash and they asked me for my keys to take a look. I didn't ask to keep it so you'll just have to settle with my pictures to remember it by.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

frozenpussy posted:

I said it was a cellular data dongle hanging from the underside of my dash and they asked me for my keys to take a look. I didn't ask to keep it so you'll just have to settle with my pictures to remember it by.

we are not going to let this go OP we demand answers

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

everdave posted:

we are not going to let this go OP we demand answers

lol apparently not

It has some odd options, and aside from the chrome wheels is very basic. I'm sure they can add those at the dealership. Cloth seats, basic head unit, nothing fancy. Also missing the universal garage door opener which I think is kind of odd, but makes sense if it was originally ordered to be in a fleet of some type like a rental company.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Bajaha posted:

Or, if you sell it in the next few, the new owner gets to experience PO fuckery on a whole new level.

The manufacturer is and always will be the worst PO

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

cursedshitbox posted:

The manufacturer is and always will be the worst PO

Someone is still salty from owning rovers :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

Someone is still salty from owning rovers :v:

:v: Ironically enough though the ford has worse factory wiring than the rovers ever did.

E: at least rovers used (lovely) relays for headlights and didnt put 180A of glowplug through 2 14ga wires piggybacked.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
speaking of makes, was this a ford thing, or is hazing just part of AI.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I wanted a SIlverado 1500 and the Chevy dealer had some courtesy vehicles for 28k but the F150 was such a good deal that I couldn't justify the 1500.

Actually what I really wanted was a 2500 HD like my work truck.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

frozenpussy posted:

Everyone in AI gets poo poo on.

Plus you had the opportunity to uncover a vast government conspiracy and bitched out. No one cares what you own.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

frozenpussy posted:

I wanted a SIlverado 1500 and the Chevy dealer had some courtesy vehicles for 28k but the F150 was such a good deal that I couldn't justify the 1500.

Actually what I really wanted was a 2500 HD like my work truck.

What did you get and what did you pay and this still answers no questions. Like when I worked at Lexus in the 90s I could see someone taking care of this without waiting but Ford no way and I will qualify that currently my family only owns fords and my stepdad worked in a ford glass plant for 35 years but they are hiding something

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

:v: Ironically enough though the ford has worse factory wiring than the rovers ever did.

E: at least rovers used (lovely) relays for headlights and didnt put 180A of glowplug through 2 14ga wires piggybacked.

Speaking of which my beloved 01 Taurus wagons rear wiper stopped working and I discovered a wire has broken right by the motor and my soldering is atrocious and if I had like 3 inches to work with id be ok but it's like one inch of 3 exposed wires what do I do to fix this next time on Maury

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bajaha posted:

Keep this thread in mind years down the line when you start getting interesting electrical quirks.

Or, if you sell it in the next few, the new owner gets to experience PO fuckery on a whole new level.

The rare and magical Factory PO Fuckery.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

iwentdoodie posted:

Plus you had the opportunity to uncover a vast government conspiracy and bitched out. No one cares what you own.

An innocent and fresh-faced man asks a question about an implanted device that's he's found.

He's told that it is a tracking device.

He disappears for 3 days and then comes back, with the device gone, all evidence missing and stating with glassy-eyes that everything is right and there was nothing to be concerned about, go about your business, citizens.

Now I am not saying that you've been abducted and replaced by a replicant, under the control of a secret organisation but....

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit

everdave posted:

if I had like 3 inches to work with id be ok but it's like one inch

Call me

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

frozenpussy posted:

Every make gets poo poo on here. Its a car subforum populated by car nerds, its what they do.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I am okay with all this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The options and the fact that it had a fleet management box means that it was sold as a fleet truck. It was probably not a rental (unless you mean like United Rents or something like that).

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
What the hell kinda dealership installs poo poo like that with vampire taps and it just falls out of the dash. That is Best Buy level of installation. This is why I go to the place in gun town that has been open since it wasn't gun town for electronics. The owner is bat poo poo old and insane but if you just ignore his advice it all goes well.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

What the hell kinda dealership installs poo poo like that with vampire taps and it just falls out of the dash. That is Best Buy level of installation.

Where do you think Best Buy learned it from?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Where do you think Best Buy learned it from?

"OEM QUALITY!" :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You should have gotten the development kit for that particular device, extracted the IMEI and code, figured out what format it reported location data in, cloned the IMEI onto an old mobile data USB modem, and sent faked GPS tracks that just drew dicks and smiley faces all over the map at like 200mph.

e: depending on the way the device is set up, you wouldn't even have to extract the IMEI and clone it onto something, because most of them just have an SMT version of a sim card that you can desolder and solder into your desired cell modem. Alternatively, you could simply disconnect the (almost certainly) RS232 output from the GPS chipset inside it and attach it to a microcontroller set up to send tracks containing the aforementioned 200mph dicks and smiley faces.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 7, 2016

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

kastein posted:

You should have gotten the development kit for that particular device, extracted the IMEI and code, figured out what format it reported location data in, cloned the IMEI onto an old mobile data USB modem, and sent faked GPS tracks that just drew dicks and smiley faces all over the map at like 200mph.

e: depending on the way the device is set up, you wouldn't even have to extract the IMEI and clone it onto something, because most of them just have an SMT version of a sim card that you can desolder and solder into your desired cell modem. Alternatively, you could simply disconnect the (almost certainly) RS232 output from the GPS chipset inside it and attach it to a microcontroller set up to send tracks containing the aforementioned 200mph dicks and smiley faces.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
many of the cellular modems I've come across where I work (e-waste recycling) just have a SIM socket on the board, so it could be easier than that. I've never actually checked to see if the SIMs still have active data plans...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

An innocent and fresh-faced man asks a question about an implanted device that's he's found.

He's told that it is a tracking device.

He disappears for 3 days and then comes back, with the device gone, all evidence missing and stating with glassy-eyes that everything is right and there was nothing to be concerned about, go about your business, citizens.

Now I am not saying that you've been abducted and replaced by a replicant, under the control of a secret organisation but....

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Does someone have a tutorial on creating 200mph dicks? I have an idea regarding that Progressive Snapshot thing. Also coincidentally planning a 15k RPM turbo engine with a 45:1 differential ratio. :getin:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Ripoff posted:

Does someone have a tutorial on creating 200mph dicks? I have an idea regarding that Progressive Snapshot thing. Also coincidentally planning a 15k RPM turbo engine with a 45:1 differential ratio. :getin:

:whatup: ol' pal?

You'd just need to plot the coordinates of the points needed, format them into NMEA data, and feed them to the GPS input.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Pretty much. Look up NMEA 0183, it's the serial data format used by approximately 99.99% of commercially available GPS transponders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
And it'll be using the GGA, GLL, ZDA (timing), and maybe RMC sentences. Unless they are weirdos.

Or cheat: http://www.labsat.co.uk/index.php/en/free-gps-nmea-simulator-software

• Locked thread