Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oh you sweet summer child.

A buddy of mine was just advertising A Single Room in a house in SF (Pacific Heights) for $2,000 not including utilities or parking or any sort of amenities.

The amount of money you're being offered is:
SF - laughably low
NY - bad
Boston - mediocre
SD - decent. you will probably need to own a car, though.

NYC is probably worse than SF all things considered (e.g. a studio in NYC is going to be half the size of the SF equivalent - although you won't need a car in NYC) and plenty of people live in those places making 70-90k.

I think you should definitely do it for the experience

Actually I'm almost 100% certain that London is worse than SF and NYC in terms of cost of living (Tokyo is as well, I believe)

Vomik fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I think London rent is a bit cheaper than NY at least but you have worse housing and earn a lot less. It's less geographically constrained and sprawls a lot more.

SF rent etc is mad but even the worst bits are cheaper than the old money bits of London, I think there's more variance and its easier/cheaper to find single rooms here due to cultural factors.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Of course if she got a job at BPS (doubt this is possible anyway?) working in Dorchester, that's a different story.

I'm from Dorchester, I must be a real piece of poo poo huh? Also OP tell your girlfriend to stop burdening children of poverty with the assumption that they are inclined towards adult criminal behavior, kids go to whatever school is in the neighborhood.

There are literally thousands of Irish expats in Dorchester, but living here has shown me that they are friendly and compassionate people so I don't know how kindly they'd take to your GF being so afraid of the FERAL POORS.

e: also I'm thinking that a British-based person who can choose between the cities you listed probably works for the company who's "Boston" operation is a 70/30 split between upscale suburban Lexington and the more vibrant urban Cambridge - they're not that far from each other but the lifestyle and commute that a position at each would bring would be like night and day. Ask HR where you'd be moving to if you're leaning towards Boston and it doesn't end up being remote.

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 10, 2016

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Veskit posted:

:words: I'm not trying to say you should DEFINITELY GET MARRIED :words:
Probably a lot of the reason you're having a hard time understanding his stance is that marriage is kind of, less of a big deal, in other parts of the world. While many parts of the US still stigmatize people for having kids out of wedlock, waiting too long to get married, getting divorced, etc, those stigmas are happily absent in a lot of other countries. Marriage is optional, not a prerequisite, for starting a family.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

life is a joke posted:

e: also I'm thinking that a British-based person who can choose between the cities you listed probably works for the company who's "Boston" operation is a 70/30 split between upscale suburban Lexington and the more vibrant urban Cambridge - they're not that far from each other but the lifestyle and commute that a position at each would bring would be like night and day. Ask HR where you'd be moving to if you're leaning towards Boston and it doesn't end up being remote.

It's almost certainly not the company you're thinking of, we are not one of the pharma giants but are in the FTSE 100.

As for the whole Poors thing I really have no issues with Dorchester or whatever, in fact I never heard of it before this thread. I don't know how true it is but there is a common perception of a lot of US urban schools as been relatively dangerous although I do know it's likely sensationalised.

Anyway it sounds like it would be SD based with the office just south of the university.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Saros posted:

It's almost certainly not the company you're thinking of, we are not one of the pharma giants but are in the FTSE 100.

As for the whole Poors thing I really have no issues with Dorchester or whatever, in fact I never heard of it before this thread. I don't know how true it is but there is a common perception of a lot of US urban schools as been relatively dangerous although I do know it's likely sensationalised.

Anyway it sounds like it would be SD based with the office just south of the university.

As someone from New England I can tell you most of the people from Dorchester are poo poo bags. Generally when I meet someone that says they are from Boston, but they're kind of a prick I ask them if they are from Dorchester.

That said, if you're looking to move some place that is nicer/warmer than the UK I wouldn't recommend Boston. It's a decent area for maybe 5-6 months out of the years. The rest of the time it's either really cold or raining. If I were you I would be moving to San Diego. It's not incredibly expensive, but it's not really cheap either. Generally speaking school districts can be both horrific and great depending on the city/state. For instance here in Charlotte, NC the south side is pretty nice with good schools, but then you have the East/West side schools in the district that are poo poo holes. Still, I wouldn't go in thinking you'd get shot or anything, but chances are good that if you gf moves here and acquires a job she won't get her choice of school and they would just assign her where she is needed which is likely to be a shittier school where the teacher turnover is higher. Those will also be the schools more likely to need subs too.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Saros posted:

Basically we have four major offices in the states that I could work at very easily, my role is also possible to do totally remote, hell my boss lives in rural MA and I see her about twice a year.

If your job is possible to do totally remotely, why is USCIS going to grant you an L-1 visa to move to the US if you can just do it from your home country?

The whole point of intra-company transfer visas is that you possess a skill that they cannot find in the US (easily), and that a particular office in the US needs you.

Between that and you trying to move a someone that isn't your spouse on some other type of visa to the US, I think you're severely overlooking the complications involved in what you're trying to do.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I knew a guy who did an intra company transfer to a US office.

In order to bring his girlfriend with him they had to get married. And that's with her having a Ph.D. Just saying - US immigration is no joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Well there's literally nobody in the US that can do what I'd be moving there to do because my specific product I work on/with only has UK/EU based employees (yeah I know I said my line manager lives in the states, it's complicated and kinda dumb but she works for a separate 'product' and is my boss because our scientific specialties are the same) and a big part of being in the states would be cross training and harmonising processes with people who work on 'other product'. Then I'd bring all the stuff I learned from the US back here and do the same. It's kind of a de-siloing project.

As for bringing someone with me I know that's virtually impossible without marriage so I wouldn't even try, this was about exploring options of having the GF be able to move as well, there's no reason for her application and process to be involved with mine at all.

I'm also aware of how hard it is, that's one of the reasons I'm asking about all this from people who may know the inns and outs of the processes involved better than me!

Anyway sounds like definitely San Diego for 6-12 months if it goes ahead. Thats where the office in question is located.

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 6, 2016

• Locked thread