Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I've had an unreasonable hardon for getting a viable BUG list for Modern. Don't know why; probably mostly from playing Shardless in legacy.

So with Fatal Push around; I went and did a brew against my better judgement. every time I brew it turns into a pile of poo poo that never plays well
Much to my surprise, this deck has played really really well with the caveat that it folds pretty hard to Affinity.

Right now I'm in the process of tuning it. It's basically a controllish deck that can consistently drop threats that demand a response, while disrupting and/or countering your opponents play.

Playtest thoughts:
- Bitterblossom is sometimes the MVP; sometimes a total bust. I WANT it to work here; but I think it's a card to cut.
- I've tried using Deprive instead of Mana Leak, and the ability to bounce shocks and fuel your Death's Shadow works out more often than you might expect. All 1-2CMC cards oftentimes gets you around the downside of the land drop tempo loss. Considering mainboarding it.
- Stubborn Denial has some potential too; you will usually have a creater that triggers it; and early game its not a bad card if your opponent taps out. Not sure on this one though.

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Lands
2 Breeding Pool
1 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
2 Overgrown Tomb
3 Polluted Delta
1 Swamp
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Watery Grave

//Spells
2 Abrupt Decay
3 Bitterblossom
1 Collective Brutality
1 Dismember
4 Fatal Push
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Mana Leak
2 Remand
3 Serum Visions
4 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
4 Dark Confidant
4 Death's Shadow
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Tarmogoyf

Display deck statistics

Anyone care to share some thoughts? I'm really hankering to take this to FNM and have some fun with it. But I'd like to flesh it out a tad more.

Walked fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
There was a BUG Delver list in the Top 8 of a recent regional, it was posted in the Eternal thread and looked cool. Kind of like yours but with Delver and Tasigur rather than Shadow and BB.

Someone also mentioned a buddy running BUG with Yahenni's Expertise and Ancestral Visions, that seems particularly sexy if you can make it work.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

C-Euro posted:

There was a BUG Delver list in the Top 8 of a recent regional, it was posted in the Eternal thread and looked cool. Kind of like yours but with Delver and Tasigur rather than Shadow and BB.

Someone also mentioned a buddy running BUG with Yahenni's Expertise and Ancestral Visions, that seems particularly sexy if you can make it work.

I've toyed with AV; but Dark Confidant seems (in my minimal testing) to fit a bit better given the interaction between him and Death's Shadow, and the fact that T1 you want to go for hand disruption. The self inflicted pain from Bob is rarely bad in this build.

Yaheeni's Expertise is too high CMC to work in this particular shell. It'd definitely need to be reworked a bit for that to fly (more consistent manabase + probably swap AV in for Bobs).

That said; I hadnt thought about pairing them. I may give that a whirl because I've definitely had some games where card draw is a real issue late game.

edit: Found the list; and it definitely does closely mirror mine; with some obvious changes. I find the Snapcaster being only 2x interesting.

edit2: Stubborn Denial I like seeing; and Shadow of Doubt I have had in the sideboard. Cool. And I like Feed the Clan a lot.

Walked fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 10, 2017

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Just wanted to post a deck that's been doing a bit of work for me (depending on what I'm doing tomorrow, it might go to Game Day). Kinda just thrown together because I like the monkey pirate, and I already had the bones of a (kinda terrible) mono-red aggro deck. Still haven't quite worked out if Kari Zev's Expertise is main-deck appropriate yet, or if it should be something else (I was considering Invigorated Rampage in it's slot, just due to the number of first strike guys I'm running).

Deck: Mono-R Aggro

//Lands
20 Mountain

//Spells
4 Incendiary Flow
2 Kari Zev's Expertise
2 Renegade Freighter
4 Shock
3 Skin Invasion

//Creatures
4 Aether Chaser
3 Bomat Courier
4 Falkenrath Gorger
4 Inventor's Apprentice
3 Kari Zev, Skyship Raider
3 Pia Nalaar
4 Reckless Bushwhacker

//Sideboard
1 Bomat Courier
2 Inner Struggle
2 Kari Zev's Expertise
2 Key to the City
3 Lightning Axe
4 Release the Gremlins
1 Skin Invasion

Display deck statistics

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm doing one of the standard BG decks to get back into the format, what's relevant now besides that, Mardu vehicles and Jeskai/Copycat? I'm trying to figure out how to beat Mardu, for Jeskai I think it's a case of keeping stuff to hand to deal with cats and know how to use Ballistas to stop them going off

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Expertise cards and Bring to Light let you cast restore balance for free, so I though I'd try to figure out a deck that just jams balance over and over again. Two Elixir of Immortality (or Memory's Journey SB for Stony Silence decks) mean your opponent runs out of cards before you do.

https://deckstats.net/decks/997/658499-balance-prison

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
So I haven't played M:TG since the Scars of Mirroden block several years ago and want to jump back in. Nothing too fancy, just looking to show up to FNM with a halfway competitive standard deck. Not looking to completely dominate or go pro, just have fun and maybe get a few wins here and there. Problem is that I am totally lost on where to start. So I picked up both of the introductory Planeswalker decks and wanted to know of any suggested substitutions to make them more viable. Let's say a budget of around $50 per deck. Looks like I don't have a sideboard either so suggestions there would also be appreciated.

The cards are as follows...
Aether Revolt Planeswalker Deck - Tezzeret

1 Tezzeret, Master of Metal

2 Augmenting Automaton
1 Barricade Breaker
2 Bastion Inventor
2 Dhund Operative
1 Dukhara Peafowl
1 Fen Hauler
1 Foundry Assembler
1 Ironclad Revolutionary
1 Merchant's Dockhand
1 Ornithopter
1 Quicksmith Spy
3 Tezzeret's Simulacrum
1 Treasure Keeper
2 Wind-Kin Raiders

1 Essence Extraction
2 Implement of Examination
4 Pendulum of Patterns
1 Reverse Engineer
2 Tezzeret's Betrayal
2 Tezzeret's Touch
2 Universal Solvent

11 Island
4 Submerged Boneyard
10 Swamp

Aether Revolt Planeswalker Deck - Ajani
1 Ajani, Valiant Protector

1 Airdrop Aeronauts
3 Ajani's Comrade
2 Armorcraft Judge
3 Audacious Infiltrator
1 Deadeye Harpooner
1 Ghirapur Guide
2 Lifecraft Cavalry
2 Narnam Renegade
1 Ridgescale Tusker
2 Silkweaver Elite
2 Verdant Automaton
1 Solemn Recruit

1 Aid from the Cowl
2 Ajani's Aid
1 Daredevil Dragster
1 Engineered Might
4 Inspiring Roar
1 Natural Obsolescence
1 Prey Upon
3 Renegade Map
2 Unbridled Growth

9 Forest
9 Plains
4 Tranquil Expanse

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I posted about this over in the main thread but I'll stick something here too - I'm looking to put together a deck library/play box thing of a number of decks that are all relatively balanced against one another. Ideally, I'd like around 10 (and even more ideally they'd be one for each color pair, I have a Ravnica fetish). Has anybody tackled this deckbuilding problem? My research leads me to believe it's a common gripe for the ability to just pick up and play some fun decks that are balanced against one another, but little to no solutions appear beyond "go play EDH" and I would like to play a game in less than three hours.

One suggestion I found was to build Pauper decks since it's a balanced meta (is it? I dunno, you guys tell me?). Another was to use Card Kingdom's Battle Decks, and if they are as advertised (all built to the same power level, all reasonably competitive against one another) they look excellent but the part where they've pulled their decklists for all their Battle Decks gives me pause.

I would just roll my own, I have a reasonably large (if less than valuable) collection, but tbh I'm not that good at deckbuilding. If there are some decklists with this kind of thing in mind, like a "curated meta" series of decks, I'd love to see whatever you guys have got.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Pauper was the first thing that came to mind, though some color pairings are more viable in that format than others.

Another thing I remembered was that around M14, Wizards put out these 30-card monocolored decks that stores were supposed to give out for free to new players, where the decks could be played against one another on their own but could also be shuffled together with another deck from the set to make a two-color 60-card deck. I don't think there are deck lists out there for them since they could vary slightly even within one color (drawing from stuff that was Standard-legal at the time), but if you can track some down they might be good for what you want to do :shrug:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Remora posted:

I posted about this over in the main thread but I'll stick something here too - I'm looking to put together a deck library/play box thing of a number of decks that are all relatively balanced against one another. Ideally, I'd like around 10 (and even more ideally they'd be one for each color pair, I have a Ravnica fetish). Has anybody tackled this deckbuilding problem? My research leads me to believe it's a common gripe for the ability to just pick up and play some fun decks that are balanced against one another, but little to no solutions appear beyond "go play EDH" and I would like to play a game in less than three hours.

One suggestion I found was to build Pauper decks since it's a balanced meta (is it? I dunno, you guys tell me?). Another was to use Card Kingdom's Battle Decks, and if they are as advertised (all built to the same power level, all reasonably competitive against one another) they look excellent but the part where they've pulled their decklists for all their Battle Decks gives me pause.

I would just roll my own, I have a reasonably large (if less than valuable) collection, but tbh I'm not that good at deckbuilding. If there are some decklists with this kind of thing in mind, like a "curated meta" series of decks, I'd love to see whatever you guys have got.

Pauper might work but there's a pretty steep gap between delver/stompy/ub/tron and the more fun tier 2 decks. Maybe just take a bunch of stuff from mtgtop8 but use a nerfed version of the decks that show up the most? That wouldn't really fit with your idea of using all the color pairs though, you'd be stuck making a bunch of homebrews that can't compete with counterspell + mulldrifter.

There's a guy on cfb who post articles about a "gauntlet of history" where he takes a bunch of old standard decks and tunes them to be competitive with each other, those might be worth looking into.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
You could make mono coloured pauper decks, that would be awesome!

White weenie
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-w-33051#online

Green stompy
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-stompy-22958#online

Mono blue delver
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-mono-blue-delver#online

Burn
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-r-30586#online

Mono black
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-mono-black-control-21898#online

Tempted to do this myself now.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

givepatajob posted:

So I haven't played M:TG since the Scars of Mirroden block several years ago and want to jump back in. Nothing too fancy, just looking to show up to FNM with a halfway competitive standard deck. Not looking to completely dominate or go pro, just have fun and maybe get a few wins here and there. Problem is that I am totally lost on where to start. So I picked up both of the introductory Planeswalker decks and wanted to know of any suggested substitutions to make them more viable. Let's say a budget of around $50 per deck. Looks like I don't have a sideboard either so suggestions there would also be appreciated.
I've not tried this in Magic, but back when I played Vampire, the easiest way to unfuck a starter deck was to buy two copies of one deck and smoosh them together.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

givepatajob posted:

I posted a mono red deck about two above this post that probably qualifies as "halfway competitive", and can be built pretty easily for below your $50 budget (I think I spent £20-30 on it, max). I realise it doesn't use your Planeswalker decks at all, but it does represent a decent use of your cash. Alternately, you could consider throwing together one of the budget standard decks from here: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/decks/budget/standard#online; again, this would probably be easier/cheaper than trying to make your pre-cons viable. (As a bit of an aggro player, I like the look of the mono-W Servos deck and the Poisonless Infect deck).

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Thanks for the advice. That link is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone got a decklist for a nice W or W/B soldier token deck? I've been out of the game for a while and I want to get back into playing (nothing much, probably just some FNM) and I love me some soldier tokens. Also, it's a fairly cheap (like, less than $100) deck archetype, right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Anyone got a decklist for a nice W or W/B soldier token deck? I've been out of the game for a while and I want to get back into playing (nothing much, probably just some FNM) and I love me some soldier tokens. Also, it's a fairly cheap (like, less than $100) deck archetype, right?

Modern or standard?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Sickening posted:

Modern or standard?

Oops, Modern. I want something I don't have to constantly update.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BW Tokens is a deck that exists in Modern, it's not top-tier but it does alright and people seem to like it. If you poke around on MTGGoldfish.com you can find a $100ish version of the deck (though optimized versions of the deck are more). Also it's not just Soldiers so I hope that's not a deal breaker :v:

E: Found it. Article's a year old and there's a couple of newer cards that would do well in the deck especially if budget is a factor, but the general concept is still there.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 22, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Oops, Modern. I want something I don't have to constantly update.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/383749#paper

I personally prefer http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/khans-of-tarkir/sorin-solemn-visitor over the sorin they use and probably at a 2 of.

upgrade paths (that are also affordable)

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/born-of-the-gods/brimaz-king-of-oreskos

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/kaladesh/concealed-courtyard?partner=MTGGLDFSH

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/battle-for-zendikar/shambling-vent?partner=MTGGLDFSH

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Return+to+Ravnica/Rest+in+Peace#paper
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Innistrad/Stony+Silence#paper

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Thank you, I couldn't figure out how to navigate that site for the life of me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thank you, I couldn't figure out how to navigate that site for the life of me.

Also these

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/conspiracy-take-the-crown/inquisition-of-kozilek

At the very least pick up some duress. Its common and should be everywhere.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I've been enjoying tinkering with this Modern Aristocrats deck lately, Still fiddling with the numbers and there's stuff I'm tempted to change like the human subtheme, maybe switch it to Vampires with Bloodghasts, Blood Artists and so on. But right now I'm happy with how it's doing on competitive practice on MTGO, but I probably need to play it in actual events to test it against all the main decks.

I think the main thing I need to consider is if Red is really justified here over pure BW or maybe Abzan. More card draw or filtering could be good, since a lot of these cards lack impact in isolation. There's a number of ways to go off in three card combinations, but not really any explosive 2-card combos besides maybe Falkenrath Aristocrat and a flipped Militia Captain. If I went more midrange than aggressive I could probably run Faithless Looting or Cathartic Reunion.

Deck: Mardu Aristocrats AER

//Main
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
1 Bloodthrone Vampire
4 Cartel Aristocrat
4 Champion of the Parish
4 Dark Confidant
3 Falkenrath Aristocrat
2 Hanweir Militia Captain
1 Skirsdag High Priest
1 Teysa, Orzhov Scion
2 Viscera Seer
2 Xathrid Necromancer
4 Zulaport Cutthroat

//Land
1 Blood Crypt
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Concealed Courtyard
2 Godless Shrine
4 Marsh Flats
1 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Swamp
1 Westvale Abbey

//Spells
1 Blade of the Bloodchief
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Return to the Ranks
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

Display deck statistics

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So I'm currently working on a Tezzeret Grixis Artifact deck (standard). I started in Sultai Colors and had Woodland wanderer in Place of the Chandra that I have now that Ive swapped to Grixis.

Woodland wanderer felt great to put down on turn 4 because it would reliably be a 6/6 with vigilance and trample, but 80% of my games it became target for Fatal push.

As I found out at FNM last night, I fold to control. They always have an answer for a threat and I dont have enough early game damage to punch through.

Against aggro I have enough big toughness creatures to keep me alive until I either ult a tezzeret or get a Herald of Anguish down.

So I'm beginning to think Midrange would be a good home for this deck, however I've never built Midrange before and am kind of at a loss as to what to do beyond getting more early game damage. Any help/input will be appreciated, In case it matters my meta isn't particularly competitive. Out of 16 regulars only 2-4 of them will be top 8 decks copied card for card.

Deck: Tezzeret Grixis Artifact

//Lands
2 Choked Estuary
1 Evolving Wilds
5 Island
1 Mountain
3 Spirebluff Canal
3 Sunken Hollow
6 Swamp
3 Wandering Fumarole

//Spells
1 Battle at the Bridge
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
3 Fatal Push
2 Heart of Kiran
3 Metallic Rebuke
4 Prophetic Prism
1 Tamiyo's Journal
2 Terrarion
4 Tezzeret the Schemer
3 Tezzeret's Touch
3 Transgress the Mind
1 Yahenni's Expertise

//Creatures
4 Contraband Kingpin
2 Herald of Anguish
1 Hope of Ghirapur

//Sideboard
3 Battle at the Bridge
1 Fatal Push
3 Negate
3 Ruinous Path
1 Transgress the Mind
3 Unlicensed Disintegration
1 Yahenni's Expertise

Display deck statistics

I did find a deck on Star City Here that looks to be pretty close to what I'd like to do. I'll likely slowly shift over to it, minus Liliana because Id rather not buy expensive cards that are only in standard for another handful of months.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

givepatajob posted:

Thanks for the advice. That link is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

I've built this one, and it is a lot of fun to play. Gets out of hand quickly when the pieces fall into place.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/492082#paper

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

While I was living in rural NSW my older brother got me playing again. We played a lot back in the nineties but sadly I don't have any of those cards anymore. I put together Saffron Olive's modern budget burn deck but subbed in some Monastery Swiftspears and Thermo-Alchemists I had to replace the Spark Elementals and Keledon Marauders. I also dropped the Aggressive Minings just because I never really used them. The deck went pretty okay but now I'm back in Melbourne and looking to take it to a FNM with some upgrades.

Deck: Mono-Red Burn

//Main
2 Flames of the Blood Hand
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Magma Jet
4 Monastery Swiftspear
18 Mountain
4 Rift Bolt
4 Searing Blaze
4 Shard Volley
4 Skullcrack
4 Thermo-Alchemist

//Sideboard
2 Flames of the Blood Hand
2 Incendiary Flow
4 Leyline of Punishment
2 Rending Volley
2 Searing Blood
3 Smash to Smithereens

Display deck statistics

I want to get some fetches just to help thin out mana and the MM17 spoilers made me think Blood Moon might be worthwhile as well. Other cards I was looking at were Eidolon of the Great Revel to swap out the Thermo-Alchemists for.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

whats for dinner posted:

While I was living in rural NSW my older brother got me playing again. We played a lot back in the nineties but sadly I don't have any of those cards anymore. I put together Saffron Olive's modern budget burn deck but subbed in some Monastery Swiftspears and Thermo-Alchemists I had to replace the Spark Elementals and Keledon Marauders. I also dropped the Aggressive Minings just because I never really used them. The deck went pretty okay but now I'm back in Melbourne and looking to take it to a FNM with some upgrades.

Definitely Recommend Eidolon, card is great. Thermo-Alchemist is going to die often before doing any damage which is not where you want to be with burn.

Not sure about Blood Moon, for every free win it gives you, you're going to lose games when your opponent is at 3 life and you're wishing it was a burn spell instead. I think Molten Rain is more of where burn wants to be.

Rending Volley is a weird relic from when Splinter Twin was legal, it's an easy cut imo. Incendiary Flow seems like an odd card as well since it doesn't go face. Exquisite Firecraft, Dragon's Claw, Pithing Needle, Pyrite Spellbomb (for killing Kor Firewalkers) and Relic of Progenitus are some sideboard cards that might be relevant. Sideboards depend a lot on your local meta though.

Also keep in mind that upgrade money might be better spent getting lands so you can splash for Destructive Revelry, or Path to Exile + Wear/Tear. One of the big downsides of mono-red is that you can't really beat Leyline of Sanctity or certain hate creatures.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Seeing Extractor Demon in the MMA previews gave me a new idea for a Modern Aristocrats deck, using self-mill to load my yard and then Rally the Ancestors or something to bring it all up and combo off or otherwise capitalize. So my question is what are some good self-mill cards, really stuff the incidentally mills me whilst doing something. I'm taking a look at SoI madness-enablers, I expect there are Sultai cards for it too, but anything else that's a good card, possibly synergies with aristocrat stratergies, and also puts cards into the yard? Right now I'm thinking BW or Abzan, since green seems a good fit with stuff like Grisly Salvage and also has Eternal Witness as a way to get non-creature combo pieces out of the yard.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Grapple with the Past from Eldritch Moon. Unless you want something that fills the yard faster.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

Seeing Extractor Demon in the MMA previews gave me a new idea for a Modern Aristocrats deck, using self-mill to load my yard and then Rally the Ancestors or something to bring it all up and combo off or otherwise capitalize. So my question is what are some good self-mill cards, really stuff the incidentally mills me whilst doing something. I'm taking a look at SoI madness-enablers, I expect there are Sultai cards for it too, but anything else that's a good card, possibly synergies with aristocrat stratergies, and also puts cards into the yard? Right now I'm thinking BW or Abzan, since green seems a good fit with stuff like Grisly Salvage and also has Eternal Witness as a way to get non-creature combo pieces out of the yard.

I had an Esper Rally deck I was working on for a minute but I got discouraged by the price on Bloodghast and Bridge from Below. Can post the list later if you'd like but it definitely had Hedron Crab (Landfall mill 3) and Magus of the Bazaar (tap: draw 2 pitch 3).

E: List- https://deckbox.org/sets/1360505

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 4, 2017

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

This was briefly a thing when it top 8'd a tournament, you can watch people play it here or here.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

little munchkin posted:

Definitely Recommend Eidolon, card is great. Thermo-Alchemist is going to die often before doing any damage which is not where you want to be with burn.
Yeah, when I was looking at it I thought it looked like a strict upgrade, especially because double red was never going to be an issue. Putting those on my must-get list.

quote:

Not sure about Blood Moon, for every free win it gives you, you're going to lose games when your opponent is at 3 life and you're wishing it was a burn spell instead. I think Molten Rain is more of where burn wants to be.
I was thinking of Blood Moon more as a sideboard card to bring in against decks that have a super greedy manabase. I can definitely see the argument for Molten Rain, though, because once Blood Moon goes off the remainder could just be dead cards whereas Molten Rain lets me keep getting rid of annoying lands while doing damage to the face. I suppose if I start splashing colours then Blood Moon becomes a liability to me, as well.

quote:

Rending Volley is a weird relic from when Splinter Twin was legal, it's an easy cut imo. Incendiary Flow seems like an odd card as well since it doesn't go face. Exquisite Firecraft, Dragon's Claw, Pithing Needle, Pyrite Spellbomb (for killing Kor Firewalkers) and Relic of Progenitus are some sideboard cards that might be relevant. Sideboards depend a lot on your local meta though.
Oh, man, I'd completely neglected graveyard hate. I'll have to pick up some up.

quote:

Also keep in mind that upgrade money might be better spent getting lands so you can splash for Destructive Revelry, or Path to Exile + Wear/Tear. One of the big downsides of mono-red is that you can't really beat Leyline of Sanctity or certain hate creatures.
If I splashed white I'm guessing I'd just get 2 Sacred Foundries seeing as the goal would be to fetch them up and having two would give me the option of pathing and wear/tearing and more than two would end up being a life drain or Molten Rain target?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

whats for dinner posted:

I was thinking of Blood Moon more as a sideboard card to bring in against decks that have a super greedy manabase. I can definitely see the argument for Molten Rain, though, because once Blood Moon goes off the remainder could just be dead cards whereas Molten Rain lets me keep getting rid of annoying lands while doing damage to the face. I suppose if I start splashing colours then Blood Moon becomes a liability to me, as well.

Remember that a lot of decks with greedy mana are going to take damage from their own lands as the game goes on, so while you might be color-screwing them they're also not going to be hurt by their own lands with Blood Moon in play. I think Molten Rain is better here. If you're hell bent on color-screwing them then I guess you could run Crumble to Dust but that's an even worse call. Just run Rains.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

whats for dinner posted:

You beat people with greedy manabases the same way you beat everyone else: you fire a ton of burn spells at their face.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Remember that a lot of decks with greedy mana are going to take damage from their own lands as the game goes on, so while you might be color-screwing them they're also not going to be hurt by their own lands with Blood Moon in play. I think Molten Rain is better here. If you're hell bent on color-screwing them then I guess you could run Crumble to Dust but that's an even worse call. Just run Rains.

little munchkin posted:

You beat people with greedy manabases the same way you beat everyone else: you fire a ton of burn spells at their face.

Ah, okay, awesome! Thanks for the help! :)

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I played in the Wisconsin TCGPlayer Championship yesterday and after starting 2-0 without losing a game, I dropped after losing the next 3 matches in a row. The Junk deck I had been playing with relative success for months (pretty much always 4-0 or 3-1 at a varied and reasonably competitive FNM meta) decided to develop a bad habit of making me mulligan to 4 or 5 over and over.

Since I've just built Grixis Control but won't have the cards for next FNM (the seller I bought Ancestral Visions from lost my order) I've decided to try out this monstrosity because Lingering Souls and Liliana are both really good, especially on turn 2.

Deck: Junk

//Lands
4 Blooming Marsh
1 Forest
2 Gavony Township
1 Godless Shrine
3 Marsh Flats
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
2 Shambling Vent
2 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Windswept Heath

//Spells
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Collective Brutality
1 Fatal Push
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Liliana of the Veil
1 Liliana, the Last Hope
4 Lingering Souls
2 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Path to Exile
2 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
3 Dark Confidant
2 Grim Flayer
3 Noble Hierarch
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tarmogoyf

//Sideboard
2 Collective Brutality
1 Damnation
1 Engineered Explosives
4 Fulminator Mage
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Path to Exile
2 Stony Silence
2 Surgical Extraction

Display deck statistics

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Just going over the start of a new deck and collecting my thoughts. I'm looking at getting back into standard, but don't really want to play Mardu Vehicles and definitely not Copycat. I have a fondness for BW though and would quite like to do control/walkers in those colours. I might actually end up close to a Mardu list ince walkers invite Heart of Kiran, and in turn Scrounger.

I want something with good answers to Mardu and Cats, and GB as well though that's not so serious now. My thinking is that Delirium-enabled To the Slaughter is good against both top decks, and Walking Ballista can break up the Saheli combo and help enable Delirium. And I think Kalitas should be in the maindeck, eating scroungers.

I think I want Gideon, obviously, some number of Liliana, who can stop crew costs being paid and let me get back useful creatures, and Ob Nix is just good in a straightfoward, boring way, though I've yet to decide how much against the top decks. I need to think about Sorin, I like him but the cost might be too high. I also think some number of Oath of Gideon and/or Liliana, although Oath of Gideon might make it harder to use Gideon to contribute to Delirium by going down and getting him emblem.

I think I want to be careful with removal, it's relevant but against Copycat I don't want loads, and Fatal Push or Grasp don't kill Torrential Gearhulk. I sometimes think of Sinister Concoction, since it kills anything and can't really be countered, so good against copycat.

So what I'm looking at is like Mardu Vehicles but more walker focused, and tailored to beat Vehicles and Cats. I've seen lists for Vehicles that only uses red for Unlicensed Disintegration, so I think it's worth a go. Could I be overvaluing Liliana in the format? And should I consider a third colour. Going Mardu gives Nahiri, who has applications against enchantments and is another Delirium enabler. Or I could go green and use Oath of Nissa and Traverse to even out my mana.

I dunno, I think I'd like Vehicles if it wasn't dominating to such a stupid degree, maybe I should go with it? Guess it would make me feel like part of the problem.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
IMHO any deck along the lines you're thinking is just going to be mardu vehicles but worse for the sake of hipster points; if the playstyle of the best deck appeals to you, just play it. The big planeswalkers that mardu plays are infinitely better when they're preceded by a curve of aggro creatures.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Oh hey, this thread is still going. Good to see, considering I pegged it for dead.

Should I refresh the thread for Amonkhet release or just leave it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Oh hey, this thread is still going. Good to see, considering I pegged it for dead.

Should I refresh the thread for Amonkhet release or just leave it be?

Refresh. This is already a couple cycles old.

• Locked thread