Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

With issue #280, Grant Morrison starts curating that old magazine with Euro comics about barbarian space princesses loving robots that you hid under your bed as a 14 year old in the 80's or 90's.

We're finally getting news about the issue due out later this month (not much, though. basically just titles,) so here's a thread to remind everyone it's imminent!

quote:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/07/heavy-metal-grant-morrison-debut-issue

Heavy Metal is the title of a legendary sci-fi and fantasy comic magazine for adults … and perhaps precocious teens interested in more daring material, or who consider Wonder Woman a tad underdressed. It could also be used as a term to describe the sensibility of so much comic-book pop these days, particularly as it skews toward anti-heroes, irreverence and iconoclasm, and R-rated edge and aesthetic. So far, 2016 has been a bit of a crude and bruising head-banger’s ball. See: Deadpool, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and Negan on The Walking Dead.

If you’re looking for more imagination and diversity from this allegedly mature perspective — like, say, a story about insect erotica – you might want to investigate the medium of comics itself. This year has already given us Patience, a fine new graphic novel from Daniel Clowes. This week sees the release of Marvel’s Black Panther, written by acclaimed journalist Ta-Nehisi Coates. And on April 27, Heavy Metal itself will meet the moment with its first issue from its new editor-in-chief, celebrated comic book author Grant Morrison.

The Scottish scribe was recruited to the brand last summer by Jeff Krelitz, co-CEO of Heavy Metal, and Kevin Eastman, the magazine’s publisher (and a comics legend himself, having co-created Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). Now, we bring you an exclusive first look at Morrison’s debut, a 140-page effort that includes seven comic stories from an international group of artists. We’ll begin with the three different covers created for the issue. We’ll conclude a look at Morrison’s own contribution to the collection, as well some insight on what fans of the venerable magazine can expect in subsequent issues. And in the space between: insect erotica.

Morrison has contributed a story himself, “an old school sci-fi twist-ender” entitled “Beachhead” drawn by Benjamin Marra, whim Morrison describes as a “grand guignol genius.” He might have provided more material, says Krelitz, but “we kept his own content light in his inaugural issue so he could focus on his editorial choices.” Writes Morrison: “Upcoming from me and my art collaborators are tales of randy starship crews in a non-dystopian future, anthropomorphic cat detectives with PTSD caught up in quantum-Satanic nightmares, a cut-up collaboration between David Bowie and William Burroughs, and a whole s— ton more.”

Not everything in Morrison’s first issue is “out with the old, in the with the new.” He’s keeping two ongoing serials, including Julia and Roem by French comics master Enki Bilal. Writes Morrison in his editor’s letter to readers: “Heavy Metal without the legendary Enki Bilal is like Tom without his Jerry, Laurel minus Hardy. Or salsa with no chips, so that’s NEVER going to happen.”

Also ongoing is The 49th Key by Erika Lewis, J.K. Woodward and Deron Bennetz:

“A twisty conspiracy epic,” writes Morrison, “The 49th Key… has been one of my favorite Heavy Metal serials since it started. If you’re coming in fresh, don’t expect me to fill you in on what’s been happening. We’ve got the Internet for that now.” (Note: Actor John Barrowman of Arrow and Torchwood fame is reportedly developing a mini-series adaptation of this serial.)

As for the short stories …

“Lepidoteran” by Emilio Balcarce and Gaston Vivanco.

“A Mind Bomb” by Danish artist Anna Kornum. Morrison describes the story as “Raymond Briggs-y A-bomb paranoia.”

“The Key” (“a hippy trippy mushroom headmelt,” writes Morrison) by Max Frezzato.

Time Served” by Kyle Charles and Michael Moreci.

“Magic Words” by Eric Esquivel.

“Deliriously vivacious insect erotica,” writes Morrison of this story, an excerpt from Mozchops’ 2011 graphic novel Salsa Invertebrexa.

The usual “Artist Studio” feature presents the work of Mimi Scholz, a Berlin-based artist whose work focuses on Feminism and sexuality.

There ya go. Definitely not as much of a break from what I remember the mag being. Still lots of Euros, aliens, robots and sex.
The upcoming Morrison bits sound great, and even if it's not so different, I'll try it for the nostalgia.

Out April 27th.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Has Morrison made an -open-ended commitment to Heavy Metal, or is he acting as EiC for a specific term? Is this a job or a neat publicity thing? Either way, I'm excited about G-Mo creatively curating Heavy Metal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wheres the airbrushed titty

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Wheres the airbrushed titty

:nws: This is close enough. :nws:

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Squizzle posted:

Has Morrison made an -open-ended commitment to Heavy Metal, or is he acting as EiC for a specific term? Is this a job or a neat publicity thing? Either way, I'm excited about G-Mo creatively curating Heavy Metal.

It's a job. Like he's supposed to be the EiC going forward.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Squizzle posted:

What's wrong with current Heavy Metal?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Every comic now features a ripped bald guy banging every chick. They all suspiciously look like Morrison.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 15, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Did it come out today? My store didn't get it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Diamond has it for the 4th now.
http://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/FEB161583

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I occasionally get a Heavy Metal subscription for a year and then I eventually realize that I forgot I subscribed to it and have a bunch of issues on hand still in their shrinkwrap. I got this one a few nights ago and, realizing the cycle, decided to read it. I didn't get that Morrison was the EIC going forward, but thought it was just another gimmick issue.

It wasn't bad, but maybe he could make it a bit more interesting.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Out now https://www.comixology.com/Heavy-Metal-280/digital-comic/380934

Here's Grant's entertaining foreword.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 11, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So while this may obviously not have been the big exciting shift people were expecting, I'm sure getting the December issue.

quote:

HEAVY METAL #284
(W/A) Various (CA) Luis Royo
Grant Morrison continues his reign as Editor-in-Chief by contributing two new tales to shock and outrage! The first is sci-fi epic Mythopia, written by Morrison with layouts by publisher, Kevin Eastman, and art by Bill Sienkienwicz. The second is a tale of sword, sorcery, and psychopaths in The Savage Sword of Jesus Christ! Also on deck is a new story by Eniki Bilal and the continuation of Salsa Invertebraxa by Mozchops and Zentropa by John Mahoney. The cover is a wraparound cover of Heavy Metal’s iconic warrior queen Taarna by Luis Royo. Cover B is a painted cover of Adolf Hitler facing off against a sword weilding take on the Christ by famed painter Ken Kelley (Kiss Destroyer and Love Gun album covers). Cover C… well, that’s the best surprise of all! (STL026205) (C: 0-1-0)
MATURE THEMES
TAARNA BY ROYO COVER—Magazine, SC, 144pgs, FC $8.95
HITLER VS. JESUS COVER—Magazine, SC, 144pgs, FC $8.95
COVER C—Magazine, SC, 144pgs, FC $8.95

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Can we get Grant back to write DC Comics plz?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Can we get Grant back to write DC Comics plz?

As far as we know, he's working on a new set of Multiversity stories, a collaborative Batman Black and White comic and two more Wonder Woman Earth One books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

say tan
Sep 25, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

• Locked thread