Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The website is very cool, they have a patreon and it lets them pay authors of articles based on word count and they've also tried to go back and pay older contributors with book sales. One of the most respectable gaming websites around IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

There's no hg101 guy, anybody can write for the website. There's one guy who curates and owns the website but I don't know if he's the one who wrote that particular article about the Amiga version of akira

Complexcalibur posted:

Until today I was also under the impression that hg101 was all one guy but this whole time they've had an index of the articles by author

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/author.htm

The owner of the site isn't Angry Akira guy and it looks like he wrote most of the articles i like on the site so I'm fine with considering him hg101 guy.

Ahh that explains it. Yeah, it's a really good site, really liked their articles on ancient rare games like Segagaga and such which had an insane amount of research.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I wonder if they'll do articles on request. I really wanted to read a hg101 article on the NG4 Wonder Project J sequel but there wasn't one, somehow

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

goferchan posted:

I wonder if they'll do articles on request. I really wanted to read a hg101 article on the NG4 Wonder Project J sequel but there wasn't one, somehow

authors pitch articles to them, they dont solicit articles from authors

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/submission.htm

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
hg101 used to be complete garbage but it looks like they're rewriting/purging most of the really terrible old poo poo so good for them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

Hey man you could be the one to change the world.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
90% of games journalists are just video game fans who can right sort of well anyway. It Could Be You.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Larry Parrish posted:

90% of games journalists are just video game fans who can right sort of well anyway. It Could Be You.

It's less can write than do.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bump because I was looking through my old bookmarks and found out this guy updated his website: http://nomads-sotc-blog.blogspot.com.au/ hes like the pannenkoek of ico/sotc and does detailed write ups on the quirks of all the colossi and ico levels

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

"In the Shadow of the Colossus art book interview with Ueda he states: 'In order to bear the responsibility, I did all the animations for the smaller animals… I was actually thinking of putting geckos into Ico. Fish and bats, too. But we weren’t able [to]'" cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Whoa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB-RvnO2eKQ

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.christcenteredgamer.com/index.php

This site is amazing because their reviews have two different scores for Christian Morality and Technical Aspects so SMT4A has 29 on the former and 96 on the latter.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

cisgendered gamer LMAO im hash tag triggered :iamafag:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ah, hello. I’m M. FuRuRu.

What do you know, this is my first project at Konami! After a year of causing trouble for everyone I’ve finally made it to the end. I could tell you some personal stories, but it would just end up being a bunch of rumours, so let’s just get down to it: here are some of the rumours and stories surrounding the development of Akumajou Dracula x68000…

I’ll start with something light. That medusa’s laughing voice was done by that Oba-san everyone knows. <-- Of course! Anyone can tell that from one listen. [Oba-san means older woman, and probably is referring to some unnamed person at Konami.]

If you change the sampling rate and then enter the Tower of Dolls, you might feel as if you’re suddenly attacked by a horde of okama. With their throaty voices, “IIiiyaaaa”…

No one under 18 is permitted in the Tower of Dolls. When people came here during the bug checking everything suddenly got quiet…

When the She-wolf returns to human form she looks directly at the player. That was a request from a certain honorable fellow. At first we had her just lying face down. The tragic She-Wolf.

The skull knight doing chun-li cosplay… that enemy we based off Capcom’s super-famous character.

The archer guy in the garden has his junk swaying in the breeze. And yet there’s no wind… this was censored and removed.

When we first saw the cover illustration, it looked like Simon had a 5 o’clock shadow. And he appeared to have a stupid grin on his face too. It was actually an issue with the colors on the fax copy we received.

Dracula should be having a drink even though its the final battle! We talked about that. The idea was he would be lounging around when Simon comes and drags him into a fight.3

Those bats on the title screen are moving at supersonic speed. This is just an estimate. They could be moving even faster.

On the Sunday night just before the final master app was due, I heard a rapping sound at the door. This is true. It’s true, it’s true I tell you… but none of the other staff believed me. They said I was lying. But it wasn’t a lie–’twas merely a ruuumourrr…

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Since starting the review some new things became normal. I never got any sleep at night so I was constantly dozing off at work. My 3 meals a day became 4 meals a day. I’d have a drink with dinner and a drink before bed. Thanks to that lifestyle I gained 10 kilos. Take responsibility, Konami!! (;_;)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Remember, its Akumajou, not Akumejou Dracula. [A play on words: akume means “orgasm” and “jou” means young woman.]

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh my god lmfao https://tcrf.net/D%27_(MSX2)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

how about Hisou Kihei X Serd which is so bad it got its own :nws: warning template

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

how about Hisou Kihei X Serd which is so bad it got its own :nws: warning template

That's just hosed up

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Zamujasa posted:

Holy moly.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

wtf

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

:stare:

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
devs knew...

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

:gonk:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Me: check out this funny screed some 19 year old programmer wrote into the code of a Japanese PC game 3 decades ago where he called people noobehs and f*****s

Normal person: nice that reminds me of this pedophile

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

its cool

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOf60m64oto

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS