Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
netw1z
Oct 19, 2008
. . .
I couldn't find a thread on this and the first season just finished its run last night, so here goes...

★ Synopsis ★
Created by Brian Koppelman, David Levien and Andrew Ross Sorkin – Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis star in a complex drama about power politics in the world of New York high finance. Shrewd, savvy U.S. Attorney Chuck Rhoades (Giamatti) and the brilliant, ambitious hedge fund king Bobby "Axe" Axelrod (Lewis) are on an explosive collision course, with each using all of his considerable smarts, power and influence to outmaneuver the other. The stakes are in the billions in this timely, provocative series.

The series is loosely based on the activities of crusading federal prosecutor of financial crimes Preet Bharara, the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York.

★ Trailer ★
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_raEUMLL-ZI

★ OP's thoughts ★
I've still got to watch the last episode, but I only heard about this on Friday and have binged through it over the weekend - it's quite gripping, somewhat like The Wolf of Wall Street for television. 2 smart alpha males, with a lot (mostly pride and money) at stake, trying to outsmart and out-alpha each other. Definitely worth a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
I'm up to Ep 4 and enjoying it, mostly for Lewis' performance. Giamatti reminds me of Bookman from Seinfeld ("Let is slide?" Listen mister, if I let this slide then....").

How is Rhoades' wife working for Axlerod not a conflict of interest? Even if it's not, why would Axlerod keep her? Not everything she's exposed to at work falls under doctor-patient confidentiality. Seems completely absurd but maybe I'm missing something.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I thought it was a really fun ride with some great characters, one of my favorite moments was Axe buying the name from some old money assholes and screwing them over because their grandfather once took a job from him while wearing a metallica t-shirt :allears:

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

HBO really dropped the ball on marketing this show, great show but nobody seems to have heard of it. The two main characters are played incredibly well and this is good stuff for power fantasies!

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

HBO did fine. Showtime did not.

It's a little irksome that after all that the storyline is unchanged.

• Locked thread