Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
A little backstory.

I had been out drinking for a night, wife went home and I decided to stay out longer. Had too much at the bar I was at and asked to leave. Not because I was causing problems, but just because I was obviously intoxicated. Decided to go next door to a hookah bar and chill a bit to try and get my bearings.

While I was there, a group of guys came in who all happen to be middle eastern. I said hi once or twice and probably chatted one of them up, but otherwise chilled in my corner with the hookah. As they were all leaving, one came up and decided to punch me in the side of the face. I remember one of them looking at me irritably while I was there, but didn't think much of it until that happened. They walked out and the owner came back to check on me. I was obviously a bit stunned, mostly because I can count on one hand the amount of times I have been in a fight and secondly because I was still intoxicated. The owners, also middle eastern, didn't seem to really care too much and got pissed at me for even saying anything to them. I only mention the race because I feel like I was targeted for being white.

So the next day I report this to the police and looks like a detective is following up to try and see if they can find out who did it from the owners.

Just curious if anyone has dealt with a similar issue and what I may expect, if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Yurkinov
Jan 13, 2010
You are in 'Murica, right, OP?

You are doing the right thing consulting the Goon Hive-Mind for legal advice, but I'm sorry to say that you can probably expect to be arrested for conspiring with terrorists. Society must be willing to sacrifice the OP's freedom for the greater safety and security of the REAL AMERICANS.

Thank you, OP, and God bless.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You can expect to be disappointed when middle eastern bar owners won't sell out middle eastern thug who slugged you, and the cop shrugs his shoulders and signs the report.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

photomikey posted:

You can expect to be disappointed when middle eastern bar owners won't sell out middle eastern thug who slugged you, and the cop shrugs his shoulders and signs the report.

Kind of what I figured, but was just feeling out for some anecdotes or experience in the matter. I guess I should be lucky that is all that happened to me.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Here's my experience with cops. There is big deal stuff and not big deal stuff. For big deal stuff, they will sometimes do some investigative work. Think of big deal stuff as "things that might make TV news" or "things that will impact crime statistics". Then there is little deal stuff like "my car stereo got stolen" or "I was so drunk I got thrown out of a bar and instead of going home I went somewhere else and then somebody punched me for, as the best as I can recall in my completely blitzed state, no reason".

Even if they found your guy and arrested him, it'd be a misdemeanor, he'd bail out in 12 hours, after 6 months in court he'd pay a $500 fine and time served. This would be after the infinitesimal odds that they could ever iron out a story between the bar's owners and the guy's buddies and actually pin it on someone.

No cop will expend any reasonable amount of effort on that outcome.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
op, you are a racist

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

photomikey posted:

Here's my experience with cops. There is big deal stuff and not big deal stuff. For big deal stuff, they will sometimes do some investigative work. Think of big deal stuff as "things that might make TV news" or "things that will impact crime statistics". Then there is little deal stuff like "my car stereo got stolen" or "I was so drunk I got thrown out of a bar and instead of going home I went somewhere else and then somebody punched me for, as the best as I can recall in my completely blitzed state, no reason".

Even if they found your guy and arrested him, it'd be a misdemeanor, he'd bail out in 12 hours, after 6 months in court he'd pay a $500 fine and time served. This would be after the infinitesimal odds that they could ever iron out a story between the bar's owners and the guy's buddies and actually pin it on someone.

No cop will expend any reasonable amount of effort on that outcome.

I've been involved way too many bar fights. Unless somebody ends up in the hospital, cops don't usually care all that much and usually people can just walk away.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 16, 2016

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

When you said that you chatted one of them up, does this mean you flirted with them? I wonder if you can go into more detail with this.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
In my experience, people who are intoxicated don't tend to get kicked out of bars unless they're causing problems; they'll just stop serving you. Also in my experience, very intoxicated people don't tend to have a good grasp on the acceptability of their behavior. If you were annoyingly intoxicated enough to get kicked out of a bar, what are the odds you didn't realize you said something offensive to the guys you drunkenly chatted up? Not that anyone should've slugged you, but I can imagine that happening if you were being an annoying drunken a-hole (special note: annoying drunken a-holes almost never think they're being annoying drunken a-holes).

raskalnikov_86
Sep 3, 2011
Methinks that you are omitting (or forgetting) the part of the story where you said something that caused the guy to punch you. Never mind though, I'm sure the 5-0 have their best men on the job.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
They have your side of the story. They will go to the bar and ask if the owner knows the customers or has a credit card from them. He will say no. They will say "if you find out who it is call this number" and give him a card that he throws away because he doesn't care.

If for some bizarre reason they find the guy (like, he happens to be in there when the cops go in and he admits to being the guy that punched you after the owner points him out) they will then ask him what happened. He will say you tried to punch him first in which case you'll both go to the pokey for a bit until they decide who to dismiss charges on, if anyone. Or he'll just incriminate himself like a retard.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You were drunk enough to be asked to leave from a bar.

That's... pretty impressive.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

You were drunk enough to be asked to leave from a bar.

That's... pretty impressive.

Clearly you don't live in a college town.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
Going to pontificate, take it or leave it...

Most people don't realize that the law is not there to protect your personal rights. The law is there to protect the rights of society. Sure the letter of the law would call what happened to you an assault, but the enforcement of that law is based almost completely on it's effect (or perceived effect) on society. Do people generally feel less safe because a drunk guy in a hookah bar got punched? Doubt it. Will news of this event prevent citizens from going to work, spending money or leaving their homes to participate in community activities? No? Then don't count on protection from the law.

Now if the same exact thing happened to a young mother on the street pushing her infant in a stroller, the effect would likely be much different. Citizens would generally feel less safe, they would be less likely to participate in simple community activities. Society would have suffered a loss of perceived security in being on the streets. There would indeed be an expenditure of police resources in apprehending the suspect and punishing his offense against the society. Again, his punishment has little to do with the individual victim but rather it is based on his offense against society.

So if you want protection from being punched in the face you have three options. One, you can be somebody. If you were the mayor and you got punched, you could count on cops having your back. Or two, you can geographically locate yourself in a community where people being punched is unheard of and the thought of random violence would keep the local authorities awake at night worrying about their next election. However, you might not find a hookah bar in such a community. Or three, avoid finding yourself in vulnerable situations to begin with. Either keep friends close by or develop some defensive reflexes and abilities to protect yourself so you're not a victim of fisticuff Jihad.

It's just the way things are. Like it or don't.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

maporfic posted:

Or two, you can geographically locate yourself in a community where people being punched is unheard of and the thought of random violence would keep the local authorities awake at night worrying about their next election. However, you might not find a hookah bar in such a community.

you've got a strange impression of hookah bars. they are usually much more mellow, boring places than regular bars and can be found in any college town in america. they are far less likely to give rise to "random violence" than the average local bar that you can find in pretty much every community except dry counties.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 6, 2016

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
I'll readily concede that point. Never been in one. I'm nowhere near a college town and it's not something that's popular in my area. Then again, neither is getting punched in the face at random ;)

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
look dude, you are white so you probably did something in your life to deserve getting punched in the face

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

look dude, you are white so you probably did something in your life to deserve getting punched in the face

Best post iTT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
I'll update the thread.

Everything pretty much happened as expected. Owners of the hookah bar said they had no clue about the incident, while at the same time saying the guys who were in there paid in cash, so no way to track them.

Yes I was drunk, making no qualms about that. I can also be very chatty, probably more than most people would like, so I am assuming I just irritated whoever did it enough to hit me.

Lesson learned at least.

• Locked thread