Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Hey yeah I don't think this show works in a lot of ways! It would be better if it was like a serial instead of an anthology. I think someone said the guy int he most recent ep is supposed to be the spy bro from the first two episodes but I didn't even realize it. Otherwise it's like they keep throwing new characters at us and it's like how are we supposed to understand or invest in these peeps in like 15 minutes. furthermore the spying action is pretty bad well maybe especially in this most recent ep. like where is the intrigue or the thrill of the reveal when half the information is hidden from the viewer and it all unfolds retroactively in the last 2 minutes. it's kinda like oceans 12 where they swerve the viewer and are like "oh no actually we did the heist thirty minutes into the movie but we didnt show it to you so whatever movie over." seems kinda bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm still an episode behind but episode 3 was super cool and I liked Hatano even while being really anxious about what his role there was, poor Marie :( I'm totally down for mostly unconnected spy stories as Japan's involvement escalates or whatever the the plan overall is

Such a catchy OP too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqgPByDFq0o

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:3: I'm looking forward to the maid episode :cheeky:

O-oh! :blush:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess this is nothing but poorly written fujo-bait after all. Pity, the first couple episodes were rather promising.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
So far all this show does is justify the use of the internment camps.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Major Ricardo posted:

:yikes:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Serious Frolicking posted:

I guess this is nothing but poorly written fujo-bait after all. Pity, the first couple episodes were rather promising.

sure :jerkbag:

Major Ricardo posted:

This is loving gross

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

How was ep 5? I didn't really like 4 because the spy wasn't on screen for most of it.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Oh hey, plot almost!? Their own bosses are going to be the end game?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
We got a cool spy doing cool spy things this episode. Also the most important thing, cool spy birb.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
how did it even fit in there without pooping everywhere?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Phobophilia posted:

how did it even fit in there without pooping everywhere?

He's a magician.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ahhh the Shanghai episode of Joker Game was pretty good~ I'm liking this show :) I know more money doesn't equal better animation but I kinda wish it had time/budget/whatever to look a bit nicer, a little more fluid and stylised maybe. Like, I want these spy stories just dripping in atmosphere and while the show doesn't look bad, it doesn't really have anything that stands out visually

It would probably really benefit from having slightly longer episodes too, like they threw a lot of twists/reveals in the last quarter which is fine since that's how these stories go but there wasn't quite enough time for anything to really impact as much as it could have :(

Knorth fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 11, 2016

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I still think this show is neat. The terrier was well animated too.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
The MPs and the butler in the new episode are about as subtly undercover as Wei Shen in Sleeping Dogs (the SA LP edition). It's like...how do you people not realize that you're being the shittiest spies ever?! :eng99: The lack of self-awareness on part of these dumbasses is astounding!

As for the new big development...
"Wind Agency", really? Seriously though, I'm kind of glad that some of the army folks are smartening up but...dangit this ended up as a dick-measuring contest between the Wind Agency leader and Yuuki. And I'm pretty sure Yuuki's the one with the best of the country in mind way more than Mr. "WAR COLLEGE ARMY MEN ARE THE BEST AND HAVE THE BIGGEST DICKS".

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I was rolling my eyes at the "England got all this money from SELLING OPIUM" bit, but it makes perfect sense for an indoctrinated Army officer to say that without a speck of irony.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

And indeed, they were the shittiest spies ever. No wonder Yuuki didn't want anyone involved with the army in his own squad.

Jitsui flipping out and putting the Wind goon in a sleeper hold was magical. :allears:

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
Well we sure saw this coming but it was actually even more pathetic than expected: "KILL WITHOUT HESITATION" wasn't even at the root of the operation falling apart, but just plain lack of any sensibility exactly like Mr. Totally Undercover Tan Man in the previous episode. And the D-Agency literally predicted this all coming over a year in advance. You must really suck as a spy if the "enemy" can tell what you're doing before the plan is even a glimmer in the captain's eyes. D-Agency won this dick measuring contest in so many ways. :golfclap:

Also loving the bit where women turned out to be way more observant and understanding about everything than big manly so-called educated cream of the crop War College men - and they weren't even in on there being a spy operation in progress! And Yuuki's "OF COURSE THEY KNEW SOMETHING WAS UP, IDIOT" speech was a thing of beauty. :allears:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Well they killed the cute one. RIP Cute one.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

A pointless death from sheer happenstance is entirely appropriate.

I like that Yuuki is the real main character of the series,

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Is too much to hope for a prequel series centered more squarely on Yuuki? He stole my heart with that grenade-swiping smirk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

Is too much to hope for a prequel series centered more squarely on Yuuki? He stole my heart with that grenade-swiping smirk

I think that might be the OVA episodes called Joker Game: Kuroneko Yoru no Bouken, coming with the BR/DVD releases.

• Locked thread