Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rusty Shackleford
Sep 13, 2008
Long story short, got a B.S. in Information Systems back in 2012 then got into landscaping/construction where I haven't utilized the degree at all and have always wanted to go back to it. Not super into the IT scene as I'm out of date with the certifications and still want to be in the construction industry somewhat. Meeting with a rep from a trade school for a 12 month program tomorrow.

Feel like it's time for a change, and becoming a licensed electrician sounds promising and more enjoyable than where I am now. I have considered unions (i.e. IBEW, as they will train and employ you at the same time if you get in) but don't really want to be tied down to a union and would like to get into solar and other alternative energy work. I'm more or less at the point of figuring out how to balance my income for 12 months without a full time job to supplement all of my bills. Any success/non success stories or tips? I know it's a long road to journeyman but I think it'll pay off in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
IBEW solves your job/bills problem.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Do you have any more information about IBEW? Getting an apprenticeship through them sounds like a great plan. However many IBEW locals don't seem to offer apprenticeships at all, and many of those that do only have limited intakes. I have completed a pre-apprenticeship program.

I'm willing to relocate, I don't really have any ties where I'm living right now. Should I just look for one anywhere that's currently taking applicants?

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
My friend was recently accepted (3 months ago) into a union apprenticeship program as an electrician. The hours and pay are bonkers and will only go up as you work toward your official license. From what he says he gets awesome benefits as well. But I've heard nothing but horror stories about the unions, unless you're positive you want to commit for life. Once you join, they own ya. Worse, I think (in my state at least) the unions control the licensing exam regardless of whether you're with them or non-union. I've heard some tales about guys once in the union only to get out and then get failed on the test for no reason. Kinda sounds like conspiracy to me but hey I've rarely heard anything good about unions other than the $$ is great.

If you're not sure whether you wanna go union then I'd take classes from a contracting school, and they'll help you find a job. If you end up not liking it (like me), just quit and you're done. Or if you do like it and feel better about the unions, quit and call them. From what I hear almost all the trades are hurting for guys right now so you shouldn't have a problem finding a gig, union or otherwise.

I too, am 30 and started a plumbing apprenticeship through outside classes. I'd say 90% of the guys in my class were pretty much the same age, so you're not alone. I lasted a year before I got a full scope of the plumbing world and deciding it wasn't for me.

You probably don't even have to take classes, just call up an electrician and hire on as a laborer before getting your apprenticeship card.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I tried looking at different locals and was told they only accept members living in their area. And the local in my area does not offer apprenticeships.

I'd been looking for laborer positions with electricians as a few of the people in school I had talked to suggested that as the best way to get in -- understandably most employers are apprehensive about committing to an unknown apprentice. Haven't seen any postings but perhaps I should be knocking on doors instead.

Contracting school is an interesting idea. Thanks for the suggestions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackleford
Sep 13, 2008
I ended up going the trade school route. Didn't feel like being locked into a union, more or less, and it's always something I can go back to later if I change my mind. So now I'm in a 12 month program that will fulfill my state's requirements for school hours and also credit me 6 months worth of hours towards my apprenticeship (I need 8,000 hours on the books before I qualify to take the Journeyman test). The program is 50/50 classroom and shop time. I was surprised going into the class, there's only one kid in there that's just out of high school and everyone else is mid 20's to mid 30's with a lot of different backgrounds. I haven't found any pre-apprenticeship work (aka electric/electrician helper) yet- kind of all about who you know and if you're willing to basically work for nothing if they can accommodate working around your class hours, but it looks good on a resume. The school I'm going to is pretty good so far, the tuition covers a full set of tools that's yours for keeps and they have a lot of career resource services.

• Locked thread