Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007
I just purchased a 1956 ranch style house in Portland, OR and need some advice.

I'm remodeling the bathroom, which I've got demod down to the studs at the moment. The subfloor was in serviceable condition except for the part near the edge of where the tub was which was rotted a bit and warped. Because of that I decided to replace the subfloor. Of course it's not going to be as straightforward as that. The floor joists are ~5' OC 4x8 with 2x6 tongue and groove flooring on top. The problem is the distance between the floor joists which is most definitely not up to code. It's been recommended to me that I should add a couple more floor joists between the old ones in order to give more structure to the bathroom floor. I'm in the process of cutting out the original subflooring but am not sure how to tackle adding new floor joists.

One end of the bathroom is the exterior wall which is a concrete foundation... I suppose that would require me to put a sill plate on that end... not a big deal. On the other end there is nothing. What do I attach the other end of the joist to? The original joists span the whole length of the house and have 4x4 piers every 6' or so. Do I need to pour concrete footers along the length of the new joists and use 4x4 pillars? Does the joist need to span the whole length of the house? Or can I run the new joists for just the length of the bathroom and then box the ends off between the original joists?

The floors all seem to be in fine structural condition; there's no sagging or springiness to the floors in other parts of the house. I've currently got a couple of contractors coming out to give me an estimate just to see how much it would cost to pay someone to do it, but I'd rather save the money and do it myself if possible. Will I need to pull permits for this?

Here's a video I made of a walkthrough of the bath to give some context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb59H0MT3bo

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007
Aha! Well I got a reply from someone on they DIY stackexchange site. Apparently these are not joists but rather "bearers." Joists would typically be laid out on top of the bearers, perpendicular to them. I guess whoever built my house decided they didn't need actual floor joists when they were using the 2x8" subflooring... kind of strange if you ask me. Can anyone else confirm that maybe this is what's going on here?

Here's an image of what I'm describing:

Apparently if this is the case, then I can simply run joists between each of the bearers using joist hangars, then lay a new OSB subfloor on top of that! Can it be true!? (I was/am a bit worried this would turn into a huge and expensive hassle)

• Locked thread