Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why is KoF so good?
The cool characters, of course.
It has less buttons than I have fingers, so I can play faster.
I enjoy fast paced footsie action.
My KyoXIori fanfic
View Results

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Just a periodic reminder that KoFXIII is amazing and everybody should play it with me on steam. Coincidentally, it's also on sale at the moment for five bucks, as are 98FE and 02UM (although for some reason 02UM is more expensive).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
KoF XIII, 98 Ultimate Match, and 2002 Unlimited Match fuckin' rule and anyone that hasn't gotten them yet should.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
98UM is less good than 98 THE SLUGFEST, to me, but to each their own

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Please call it by its true name

Dream Match Never Ends

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

98UM is less good than 98 THE SLUGFEST, to me, but to each their own
Which one is on the Switch? Just got it last week, but my shipment of FE Three Houses is taking for loving ever and I want to get my fight on before another Fire Emblem game consumes what little time off I have.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Any version of King of Fighters '98 is excellent, but personally I prefer Ultimate Match or/and its Final Edition because of the additional characters that got left out from '96 plus the EX characters which are a fun touch but kind of crazy.

Smoking Crow posted:

Please call it by its true name

Dream Match Never Ends

THE KING OF FIGHTERS '97: THE STORY MOVES TOWARDS IT'S VIOLENT DESTINY

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
I like UM because I like how Omega Rugal's AI doesn't know what to do about Eiji.

The version on the Switch is the regular Neo Geo version of 98, not UM. I bought it, and now I believe I have eight copies of that game on various platforms, possibly more.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Sesq posted:

I like UM because I like how Omega Rugal's AI doesn't know what to do about Eiji.

AI on XIV is pretty solid outside crossups I think but it never blocks Ramon's slide, and it hilariously stops moving completely if you reflect a projectile as Whip.

I always wondered what all that KOF text was really meant to be saying and if it tells a decent plot.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

DLC Inc posted:

LOL oh my god that is incredible. It's like SNK just leaned into bad translations and encouraged people to make them even more nonsensical.

That's more or less what he's saying in Japanese (though I think I'm missing something). It's weird, because SamShoII is one of the few SNK translations I'd call flat out "bad". A lot of the times it's strange amounts of punching up, or extremely weird jokes, and sometimes yeah, just making stuff up. But usually either the translation is extremely dry and literal (Fatal Fury, Fatal Fury 2, Art of Fighting, KoF94) or obviously given at least one editing pass by a native with a particular sense of humour (practically everything else) so SamSho2 being extremely stilted to wrong in some cases really stands out.

All of which takes away from the fact that a lot of the time, the lines are meant to be funny in Japanese too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I always liked Samurai Shodown's mix of being sometimes goofy as poo poo and sometimes stone cold sober and how it somehow manages to hold all of that together and just be Samurai Shodown.

My favorite unspoken thing in Samurai Shodown 2 is how Gen-An is inspired by Haohmaru between games. Unlike in SS1 Gen-An's SS2 win poses/etc. all imitate Haohmaru's and he's present at the end of Haohmaru's ending, but the translation makes it vague as to whether he's genuinely impressed by Haohmaru or if he's sarcastically rivaling him.

Also Samurai Shodown 6, hoooooooly poo poo that translation is bad. I mean you can UNDERSTAND IT and get the gist of what's going on, but it's just insanely awkward and bad on every level, bad translation, bad syntax, and even bad kerning, it's really something. Shame as that one IIRC sets itself as a prequel to all the previous games and has a not too short story ending for every single character.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I think the issue is that there's extremely limited text space and you're translating from a language where a single character can represent an idea. It's a bit like you have German words that represent ideas in English, except that even then you have a word like schadenfreude that is still 13 characters long.

In comparison you can have a character like 喜 which essentially means the opposite (the idea of taking pleasure from the fortunes or success of others).

night slime
May 14, 2014

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I think the issue is that there's extremely limited text space and you're translating from a language where a single character can represent an idea. It's a bit like you have German words that represent ideas in English, except that even then you have a word like schadenfreude that is still 13 characters long.

In comparison you can have a character like 喜 which essentially means the opposite (the idea of taking pleasure from the fortunes or success of others).

That's true and maybe even moreso because the winquotes run between matches, potentially costing arcades money if they were a few lines of text to scroll through.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Speaking of this, I love the translation in the new Samurai Shodown. It made me wish there was more story in-game for each character. I like how it's narrated in the third person, but still written in the "voice" and attitude of the character you're playing as, like they all see the exact same thing but the narrator describes it in totally different ways depending. Samurai Shodown 1 kind of did that too so it's a nice callback while also of course being much better executed in English.

I also love that you have to beat the game without continuing to unlock the ending artwork for each character. I mean that's not super hard to do and you can just lower the difficulty/whatever as needed but it's such a weird, like, arcade game or mid 90s console game thing to do that you wouldn't expect it to pop up in a game today.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iJNUcbFOA

I think I'm gonna do a few videos like this for small tech, maybe some BnB videos, etc. A few people have been asking about Andy in the KoF newbies discord so I threw this together in ten minutes or so if anybody was trying to pick up Andy.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Looked up Nelson's VA after playing him a bit and turns out he was Link in BOTW/Smash Ultimate. So I looked real quick to see if anyone else noticed and apparently Zarina (Zelda) and Shun'ei (Fox) actors are in it as well. Kinda neat now that Terry will be there.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
For what it's worth, I finished the KOF Kyo runthrough. You can find the whole thing starting here.

https://twitter.com/dramata1/status/1026231512721747968

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Necroposting because holy shiet

https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/1254712950721441793

It was rated for Switch earlier this month, so that's one platform it'll be in

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Sooo a few days back this was a SNK All Star ad being circulated by official channels. It's pretty gross.

https://youtu.be/SV6J5jlticg

SNK have already spoken about it, saying they had no hand in its creation and have demanded it be taken down.

https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/1321357460595118080?s=19

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wow, is Terry now also the first sex pest to be added to Smash?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Azran posted:

It was Billy Kane in a wig. Geese's plans run six levels deep.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

More than the wig I'm amused that Billy Kane would need to have false eyebrows put on

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Azran posted:

Aren't he and Blue Mary together these days?

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
Kof Allstar is better anyway, all it it has is a lot of rule 63 ...
https://www.fightersgeneration.com/news1/kof-allstar-geese.htm

Though on the plus side it also has Mad Hatter Iori!
https://www.fightersgeneration.com/nf8/char4/iori-kofallstar-wonderland-costume.png

Mr.Flibble fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 29, 2020

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/1341929782410264578?s=19

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Question: Is SamSho 2019 fun to play on the switch or are we better off with the PS4 version?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Wark Say posted:

Question: Is SamSho 2019 fun to play on the switch or are we better off with the PS4 version?

I can't speak for either party but my guess would be the PS4 version might be better with its superior hardware. This is not a definitive answer, we'll have to wait for someone who owns it on Switch to chime in.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I've never played the Switch version, but the game is not exactly a graphical powerhouse, and the online component is abysmal regardless of platform, so my guess is you wouldn't be missing out on much by only playing the Switch version.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

King of Fighters XIII is free on January 1 for Xbox owners with Xbox Live Gold, or Xbox Ultimate Game Pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Trailers have been coming out for the characters. The latest one just came out, featuring Kyo. They've been playing it safe so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEx2_jSqbRo