Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

"Red bean paste? ...we sell that, yeah..."

The man seems confused.

"I'm - I'm Takeyama. Takeyama Souta. ...thank you. For helping me."

Anything else, or do you guys want to head to the candy store? Also, any prepwork before you go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Tachibana Akemi

I'm about ready to get the candy store thing done. Akemi, by way of preparations, dons her official miko outfit and brings along her bow and several arrows, and probably insists on everyone having SOMETHING they can use as a weapon, even if it's just a baseball bat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shotaro Kazuma

I take offense to that! Hrunting has done me well, even if she is a bat!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yukimura Tomoe

"It's nothing, we're just giving back to the community.", Tomoe says with all of the sincerity a member of the family can muster.

Tomoe isn't as suited to a direct confrontation. She'll probably just be working to try and make sure all the ritual implements and ingredients are gathered and prepared.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Hajime Sakai Health: [X][X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] Willpower: [O][O][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Hajime brings himself and his knuckle dusters, which is all the weapon he needs :c00lbutt:

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Izumi Sakuya

Sakuya has a switchblade in her pocket, not that she really intends to rely on it, but it might help appease Akemi. She's also bringing a satchel packed with anpan and bags of sweetener, and encourages everyone to bring what they can. When Akemi isn't looking, or if she asks about Tomoe, Sakuya passes Tomoe the switchblade. "Just in case, right?"

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

Watanabe Ryuu

Ryuu's not taking anything special, no. Weapons are for people who cannot turn anything into a weapon.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The candy store is out of the way. The other buildings around it are older outbuildings, now converted into warehouses. It'd be a poor location for a candy store if it weren't on a path between most of the town's homes and an an elementary and middle school, really. The area is dark at this time of night - the streetlights only leave pools of light in the darkness. You have all passed the shop without ever thinking twice about it. It's an older shop, with an attached home, and wasn't opened all that long ago, despite the building's age. It has a fenced-in back yard that none of you have ever entered.

There are no lights in the shop or house, but over the wall of the yard you can see a faint glow, and can hear something. It is too faint to make out, but it sounds like a voice. Chanting, perhaps, or speaking steadily at least.

The wall is easily seven feet high, and there are no trees around to climb. The shop's door is closed and locked, and the shop itself is two floors - the shop below, and the attached home above and behind. The windows are papered, but probably have glass behind the paper. The walls are wood. There is no lock, but attempts to slide the door open find it barred. Still, it shouldn't be too tough if you wanted to go in by force. On the other hand, that might alert whoever is in the back yard.

Then again, it'd probably be easier than getting everyone over the wall.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Izumi Sakuya

"Gloomy-rear end place to sell candy," Sakuya says under her breath, her hands in the pockets of an old hoodie sweater. She takes a few steps towards the fence, trying to make out what she hears, and then trudges to the front door, looking around the threshold.

She takes a breath, sweeps a foot back, and stops just before she shoulder-charges the door, quite possibly held back by one of the team. She looks at Akemi, like a parent whose resolve can't hold against puppy-dog eyes.

"Well," she says, fishing around in her pockets for a couple hairpins, "I guess there's other ways we can try." Her tongue lolls out the side of her mouth and she whispers obscenities as she jiggles the pins into the lock of the front door. She pauses, and then begins to move more surely. "I don't really have a technique," she says, feeling where the pins are catching within the lock. "But if nobody's watching you can just kind of jiggle it around until you get it. Think that's it..."

She carefully turns the knob and slides the door open.

Dexterity 2 + Larceny 2 to pick the front lock, one success.
[20:46] <Iamjustabox> .roll 4d10
[20:46] <skybot> Iamjustabox: 28 (4d10=6, 7, 5, 10)
[20:46] <Iamjustabox> .roll 1d10
[20:46] <skybot> Iamjustabox: 1 (1d10=1)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yukimura Tomoe

Letting the others lead, Tomoe has a mini-duffle with ritual supplies and a flashlight that's at least weightier than it needs to be. Well, that and the stun gun and pepper spray she has, thankfully, never had occasion to use. Her family's reputation has, historically, been a much better means of self-defense, but that probably doesn't apply to rapacious ghost dogs.

"Hey, not bad.", she says softly to Sayuka, and fidgets with the flashlight as they prepare to enter. "Where do we set the trap, though...?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Tachibana Akemi

I stay towards the back of the group, Inuki close by my side. "We'll need space," I offer. "The ritual needs room to be performed."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Hajime Sakai Health: [X][X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] Willpower: [O][O][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Hajime simply finds a nice wall to lean against. If he got a haircut, wore some decent shades, and stopped dying his hair, he could almost look straight out of a gangster movie. Almost.

"Nothing'll bother you once that ritual gets started. I'll make sure of it."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The door opens quietly. Inside is the shop floor, dark and shadowy. The scent of sugar is strong. Several racks of cheap candies line two of the walls. A counter stands before a door leading to the back, and beind it are a number of traditional Japanese sweets in various containers. Light is visible under the crack in the door. You can hear a noise - chanting? - through the door. The smell of baking sugar is stronger near the door as well. It seems like whatever is going on must be taking place both in the back room and the yard beyond it. Most of the home would be in the upper floor, then.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yukimura Tomoe

Tomoe halts at the sound, and says softly, "... oh. Should we-" She looks to Akemi. "- should we prepare while the others see what's going on?" Reaching for her bag, she slowly unzips it one set of teeth at a time, trying to make sure they avoid notice.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Tachibana Akemi

I nod my agreement. "All this will be for nothing if we're not ready. I don't want to let everyone down again." I bow my head, letting my hair fall before my face. Inuki licks my hand.

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

Watanabe Ryuu

Ryuu breathes in, and his scowl becomes even more pronounced. "This," he whispers, "is some weird poo poo." Pressure starts to build behind his eyes--it's faint at first, but as he steps in after Akemi and Tomoe, it gets more intense. It's okay, he reminds himself. Just get this done, scare the old man out of summoning more monsters, then it'll be over with.

Rolling Composure + Wits to make out what the chanting is about, as well as anything else about what's going on behind that door. Hannya is
[20:24.55] <Donut> .roll 5d10
[20:24.57] <skybot> Donut: 19 (5d10=5, 2, 6, 1, 5)

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Izumi Sakuya

"Right," Sakuya says, pulling her own satchel around to carefully draw a bag of sweetener. "You have enough on you for the rite? I'll mark the exits, then when we're ready to run the shitbag in, we can break the line cutting off the back door." She rips a small hole in the corner of the bag of sweetener, and then methodically marks off lines of sweetener on the floor: first to block the back door, then the front door, the staircase, and if she has enough left, the windows.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shotaro Kazuma

"Guys, if I don't make it out of here alive, tell Nico at the store.....that I think she would love Yuri On Ice."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Tachibana Akemi

"Idiot."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yukimura Tomoe

"You did fine last time.", Tomoe whispers to Akemi with an odd certainty given that she wasn't there. "Let's get started." Finishing opening enough teeth on her zipper, she starts to get her implements out and quietly gets to work arranging the preparations, but lets Akemi lead on the execution.

Going to assist Akemi with Wits + Occult for 2 successes, which should give Akemi +2 dice on her roll.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

As the ritual is being prepared, there is a snuffling sound from the other side of the door. The chanting stops, and a man's voice speaks.

"What? You smell something?"

There is a low groaning from somewhere, and then the barks of three different dogs.

"...hm. I wonder what that could be. Go check."

The chanting resumes, but the doorknob turns. It opens, revealing a strange tableau. An oid man, almost the stereotypical traditionalist grandfather, is standing over the corpse of a dog, its head severed. The head is placed on an altar before him, almost reverentially, as he chants over it. Its blood drops from a knife in his hand.

Three more dogs stand barking towards the door, each anointed with blood. The door has been opened by a woman in her 40s, plain but dressed in expensive-looking traditional clothing. Her eyes widen at all of you.

"Father! We have a problem!"

First, check for breaking point at -1.

Second, check for Initiative.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yukimura Tomoe

Tomoe turns about, eyes wide as she's just... stunned at the moment. Sure, weird stuff has happened in her town, but usually it's come from the outside. This is different. It's enough to rattle her, but she stays herself.

"You definitely have a problem.", she agrees, though in a far more critical sense than the older woman means.

Spending a Willpower on the Breaking Point roll for 4 successes. I'll take Shaken. Initiative is a lousy 7, though.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Tachibana Akemi

"You...you monsters!" I manage to grit out, despite my horror. I can't help but imagine poor Inuki treated this way.

Breaking point roll:

[12:30] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 25 (3d10=10, 9, 6)
[12:30] <MollyMetroid> well that worked
[12:31] <MollyMetroid> .roll 1d10
[12:31] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 4 (1d10=4)

Also gonna take Shaken I think.

and initiative:
[12:38] <skybot> MollyMetroid: 2 (1d10=2)
for 6 total.

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

Watanabe Ryuu

Akemi and Tomoe's descriptions made it very clear that the inukami-binding ritual was hosed up, but Ryuu was not expecting to see it in action, on the other side of the door. He grits his teeth, swallows to try and settle his twisting stomach, and practically shoves past Akemi and Tomoe as he rushes into the room.

"Bunch of sick fucks," he says. His voice like the rumble before a volcanic eruption. "Drop the knife, old man, or you're going to have an even bigger problem."

He does not expect the old man to drop the knife.

Rolling Initiative:

[01:27.50] <Donut> .roll 1d10
[01:27.51] <skybot> Donut: 6 (1d10=6)

My initiative mod is 5, so that's a total of 11.

Rolling Composure + Resolve, the +1 for being at Integrity 7 cancels out the -1.

[01:02.03] <Donut> .roll 5d10
[01:02.05] <skybot> Donut: 32 (5d10=6, 10, 3, 6, 7)
[01:02.12] <Donut> .roll 1d10
[01:02.13] <skybot> Donut: 9 (1d10=9)

That's 2 successes, and I think I'll take Shaken. And I still have Disturbed from the encounter with the inukami, so hoo boy, this is going to be interesting.

Shaken: You're scared. When your fear has a chance to hinder your actions, you can opt to fail a roll before you make it, and resolve this Condition.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shotaro Kazuma

Breaking! 1 sux
Shaken!

Initiative! 9

"FUUUUUUCK! What the hell!? AAH!" I nearly drop Hrunting as I break out in a cold sweat.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Izumi Sakuya

Sakuya jumps. The door opens right in front of her as she's laying down a line of sweetener in front of it, and she fumbles and drops the bag. She tightens her knuckles and her posture stiffens, like a startled cat going on the defensive.

Breaking point, +1 for Integrity 6, success.
[17:23] <Iamjustabox> .roll 4d10
[17:23] <skybot> Iamjustabox: 26 (4d10=10, 7, 6, 3)
[17:23] <Iamjustabox> .roll 1d10
[17:23] <skybot> Iamjustabox: 6 (1d10=6)
Taking improvised Condition: Rattled. -1 to Finesse rolls, resolve by gaining the upper hand or throwing the opposing party off their own game.

Initiative +3: 6.
[17:23] <Iamjustabox> .roll 1d10
[17:23] <skybot> Iamjustabox: 3 (1d10=3)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Hajime Sakai
Health: [X][X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] Willpower: [O][O][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Integrity: 6d10h8 2
Forgot my bonus from Integrity: 1d10h8 1
And THEN I remember it's at -1, so forget that.
2 means I'm still Shaken!

Hajime's widen at the dead dog and feels his anger take over, talking in a choked voice.

"If you really want to help your old man? Call for an ambulance now. Maybe it'll get here in time."

Hajime's muscles begin to bulge as he tenses, turning himself up like a spring ready to unleash his fury- or break

Initiative: 1d10+5 13

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Initiative:

Hajime
Woman
Old Man
Ryou
Shotaro
:iiam:
Yukimura
Izumi
Akemi

The dogs strain against their chains, barking madly at you. The old man and the woman are already moving. It's not clear what they plan to do - but only Hajime retains enough wits about him to act before they can do something.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Hajime Sakai
Health: [X][X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] Willpower: [O][O][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Hajime is Shaken and is going to punch the hell out of that old man. He'll at least slip off the knuckle dusters first.

Hajime lunges forward and tries to smash his fist right into the old man's face.

PUNCH!: 4d10h8 0

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The old man draws back from Hajime, ducking away from the blow. Hajime trips over one of the dogs, sprawling over and cutting himself on one of the chains holding the dogs. It isn't that deep - but the blood sprays out onto the severed dog head.

The head immediately raises up into the air. A body begins to knit together from the neck down, drawing in flesh - and metal. The dogs' chains snap, and the creatures flee into the night, yowling madly. Even Inuki draws back in fear. The old man's eyes go wide. "What did - what did you do!?" This clearly is not what he expected.

The creature that roars into the night looks similar to the one you fought earlier - buut where the other was a mad mix of dog and man, this is like a dog's head atop steel armor, the chains sparking and shifting. Beneath it, wires pulse, and electrical sparks fill the head's eyes.

Dramatic failure: Good news! The blood of a demon-blooded child mixed into the ritual accidentally(???) created something weirder out of the ritual.

The Old Man swings his cane at Hajime, but it goes wide. His daughter, however, rushes to the back, opening a cabinet and rummaging around for a few seconds until she pulls out an old, slightly rusty hunting rifle. Hokkaido still has some of those around, grandfathered in. The good news is it probably doesn't have a very large magazine, at least.

Donut Ouroboros
Mar 12, 2013

Watanabe Ryuu

Ryuu's eyes go wide as the thing starts to take shape, but it doesn't take much effort to put a lid on his fear. It helps that the lady is clearly going for a weapon, and he is much more used to dealing with that than with howling metal dog-monsters. First thing's first, though. "Shotaro, hold my coat," Ryuu says. In a single, practiced motion, he whips off both his shirt and jacket, and flings them in Shotaro's general direction. Then he's off, bull-rushing across the room. As the woman levels the rifle, Ryuu grabs for it--because accomplice to hosed-up sorcery or not, she is a lady. Watanabe Ryuu doesn't hit ladies.

This may be a poor tactical choice.

Spending my last WP point for +3 dice, making a grapple attack against the lady with the gun. Strength + Brawl.
[00:04.25] <Donut> .roll 10d10
[00:04.26] <skybot> Donut: 45 (10d10=4, 1, 1, 2, 2, 8, 7, 5, 8, 7)
I don't know what her defense is, but there is the roll! Do with it as you see fit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shotaro Kazuma

I wave my hands to try to catch Watanabe's jacket and shirt, but they land on my head, causing a moment's distress before I manage to get free from them.

"NOW THERE'S MONSTERS! W-Well, it's no problem for me! Come, Hrunting!"

I take my mighty baseball bat and swing at the....well...dogmanthing.

Strength + Weapon 3d10h8: 0!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sup, folks. Sorry to drop this on you right now, but I'd like to transition to Discord as SA is not really a great environment right now. I'll get things set up and going over the next week or so. It's still gonna be asynchrynous and so on - just, uh, not on SA.

• Locked thread