Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
SimpleMU is not installing on Windows 10. Maybe the 16 bit assemblies no longer exist.

What's the recommended MUD client nowadays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
MUSHClient is really good.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Yeah, way better than SimpleMU. OK, where are we goonbasing? I have no clue where my base is.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
How's the size/community so far? My last HellMOO experience was an iteration where 99% of the players were in the goon corp, and they got really whiny in an un-HellMOO way when using HellMOO mechanics to protect newbs and troll them.

It was a pretty sad state of affairs, especially since the core HellMOO is actually pretty fun!

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

It's not really HellMOO. It's very much exploration/survival/crafting gone mad. Think about it like Factorio mixed with Rust, but in the future.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There isn't a super huge community yet, so too early to tell on that front.

Though I should hope people will be relatively cutthroat- I know I am!

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you spot anything owned by omer, you might want to try popping it open. I blew up one of his starship complexes and it had 6 different starships inside, including a dreadnought.

All of them are currently occupying various shipping crates at by base :pwn:

update: Omer is currently paging me a lot of nonsense about how nonchalant he is and how this wasn't a serious blow, and how he has no need to chase me down, and so on and so forth.

Benaron, is that you?

ugh its Troika fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 5, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
It's an interesting game, to be sure. My first pure text based game; played some dwarf fortress but that didn't make you type out everything you wanted to do. My escape pod splashed down in the ocean and I am currently in a desert bootstrapping my way to some real tech. I made a basic 10mm pistol and killed a sabrelion after dying once; didn't drop anything when I died, oddly. And it was weird to respawn on the same tile as the sabrelion.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Glad to hear this game's a bit different; the core of Hellmoo was well thought-out and fun, its just that eventually all the content was seen and everyone got incredibly sore about getting chumped (despite every new iteration having people speedrun and macro their way to being able to lockpick any apartment).

So what's the same? The core system (how skills and stats are handled, gamechanging mutations, vehicles)?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The core system is mostly completely unlike Hellmoo. Some of the commands are the same (eg examine, look, movement, and so forth) but progression, skills, gear, none of them work the same at all.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lancer yelps and smashes a bottle of christening guzzle against the dreadnought class (nf-51293)!
The dreadnought class (nf-51293) is now christened 'GRIEF CHARIOT'.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Is there a galaxy / planet map somewhere? How many planets are there in the game world, is it possible to find a planet that no one else has built stuff on yet? I'm still puttering around on my starter planet, haven't managed to even make a basic vehicle yet. I have been stumbling across bases that others have built, all over the place.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Generally speaking the further away from the starting system you are, the better your chances are, but there are not a ton of planets/systems so there are at least some people scattered around everywhere. If you really want privacy, crate all your poo poo to a random moon somewhere, build a private starship complex and a bunch of buildings, and live there.

Your citizens will even spawn in EVA suits if you do this :toot:

Alternately, everyone should add Hawg on gtalk and harass him to add more planets and systems, apparently it's p easy for him to and the game can support 10x as many planets as we have now, no prob.

Alternately alternately, you can do what I do, and just kill any new neighbors that move in near you, and blow up all of their poo poo. :twisted:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
code:
You see a hostile droid factory here.
[ Exits: northeast south northwest west southwest north southeast east ]
kill droid
You are now targetting: the hostile droid factory.
launch
Ambaire lines up her AVK tube with a hostile droid factory!
[ HIT ROLL        ]: clarity: [|||||||||||||||||||****] -4 (19 / 23)
Your weapon has been damaged by use.
[ DAMAGE ROLL ]: aggression: [|||||||||||||*****] -5 (13 / 15)
You did 162 explosive damage to hostile droid factory.
The recoilless AVK tube expended 1 rounds of ammunition.  Remaining: [|||***    ] (2 left)
launch
Ambaire lines up her AVK tube with a hostile droid factory!
[ HIT ROLL        ]: clarity: [|||||||||||||||****    ] -4 (15 / 23)
[ DAMAGE ROLL ]: aggression: [||||||||*****     ] -5 (8 / 15)
The hostile droid factory bursts open to reveal sleeping inhabitants and hidden technology!
The cell-bomber droid (jo-41678) exclaims, "Bzzt!  Who awakens this form!  Your protocols will be counteracted!"
The robotic sentience (dd-42633) exclaims, "Bzzt!  Who awakens this form!  Your protocols will be counteracted!"
A hostile droid factory is destroyed.
You did 123 explosive damage to hostile droid factory.
The recoilless AVK tube expended 1 rounds of ammunition.  Remaining: [***       ] (1 left)
The cell-bomber droid (jo-41678) doesn't like the look of you at all!
The robotic sentience (dd-42633) doesn't like the look of you at all!
kill cell
You are now targetting: the cell-bomber droid (jo-41678).
launch
Ambaire lines up her AVK tube with a cell-bomber droid (jo-41678)!
[ HIT ROLL        ]: clarity: [||||||||||||||||****   ] -4 (16 / 23)
[ DAMAGE ROLL ]: aggression: [||||||||*****     ] -5 (8 / 15)
The cell-bomber droid (jo-41678) has been destroyed!
You did 195 explosive damage to cell-bomber droid (jo-41678) in the gut (torso)!
The recoilless AVK tube expended 1 rounds of ammunition.  Remaining: [          ] (0 left)
[ Your recoilless AVK tube is empty! ]
wield e34
Ambaire goes for her e34 laser blaster.
Ambaire wields her e34 laser blaster.
kill robotic
You are now targetting: the robotic sentience (dd-42633).
fire
Ambaire lines up a beam shot on a robotic sentience (dd-42633).
[ HIT ROLL        ]: stamina: [|||||||||||||***] -3 (13 / 16)
[ DAMAGE ROLL ]: clarity: [|||||||||||||||||||****] -4 (19 / 15)
You did 82 laser damage to robotic sentience (dd-42633) in the chest (torso)!
The e34 laser blaster expended 1 rounds of ammunition.  Remaining: [||||||    ] (31 left)
fire
Ambaire aligns her e34 laser blaster with a robotic sentience (dd-42633).
[ HIT ROLL        ]: stamina: [||||||||||***   ] -3 (10 / 16)
[ DAMAGE ROLL ]: clarity: [|||||||||||||||****    ] -4 (15 / 15)
You did 88 laser damage to robotic sentience (dd-42633) in the stomach (torso)!
The e34 laser blaster expended 1 rounds of ammunition.  Remaining: [||||||    ] (30 left)
fire
Ambaire lines up a beam shot on a robotic sentience (dd-42633).
[ HIT ROLL        ]: stamina: [|||||||***      ] -3 (7 / 16)
[ DAMAGE ROLL ]: clarity: [|||||||||||****        ] -4 (11 / 15)
The robotic sentience (dd-42633) has been destroyed!
You did 85 laser damage to robotic sentience (dd-42633) in the eye (head)!
The e34 laser blaster expended 1 rounds of ammunition.  Remaining: [||||||    ] (29 left)
YAAAHHHH! Take that, hostile robotic intelligences! Got a toxic gas cylinder and a vehicle carapace armor from them, not sure if it was worth the explosive expenditure. Sure was fun, though.

Edit: Not shown, where I immediately exited the area after destroying the factory to assess the situation, then went back and blew up the cell-bomber with the last of the missiles. The robotic sentience wasn't attacking me but I didn't have many options but to blow it up, too.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 7, 2016

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
AVK ammo pretty commonly shows up in ammo depots. If you have access to a ready supply of mineral acids (check mountainous terrain) you can make your own relatively easily too.

Note that AVKs do extra damage vs buildings and vehicles! And also starships, if you want to try killing one with hand weapons for some reason.

(I don't recommend this as the exploding starship will kill you hilariously)

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I have to wonder, is the guy running this Wayfar server on a dialup connection? I'm getting some weird lag... queue putting 60 of something in a shipping container and it puts a few in nicely then chugs and goes really slow then speeds up again then slows down again.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Ambaire posted:

I have to wonder, is the guy running this Wayfar server on a dialup connection? I'm getting some weird lag... queue putting 60 of something in a shipping container and it puts a few in nicely then chugs and goes really slow then speeds up again then slows down again.

That's a longstanding issue, repeating commands like 'get 50 inert' are subject to exponential lag. I assume its because the list of items to be moved gets copied each time an action happens, rather than being modified in-place.

Just take things out in smaller sets and use the 'dump a into b' command whenever you can.

Doubleumc
Jun 3, 2006

Reicere posted:

That's a longstanding issue, repeating commands like 'get 50 inert' are subject to exponential lag. I assume its because the list of items to be moved gets copied each time an action happens, rather than being modified in-place.

Just take things out in smaller sets and use the 'dump a into b' command whenever you can.

So that explains it. I was wondering what was going on. A pity there's no "dump <container> to inventory" command or vice-versa.

Anyway, I'm back. Apparently I had a super-old account from way back when. Lots of neat ideas here that need fleshing out.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SquadronROE posted:

SimpleMU is not installing on Windows 10. Maybe the 16 bit assemblies no longer exist.

What's the recommended MUD client nowadays?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If anyone has Aphteroid's contact info please scream at him for me. :shobon:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Windows 10 breaks everything that is unhip and/or not trending

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I recommend mushclient in the OP for a reason :colbert:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Is there a way to get more than 2500 total skillpoints for a character? I was hoping I could keep expert crafting and exploration and still go to space and do lab work but it doesn't look like that's going to work out.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You can! Complete your background objective, and reroll. You will gain boosted max skill points with every reroll point you get, up to 3500 max.

You do not lose any of your gear or other stuff when you reroll.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like the entire population of the game is afk playing Stellaris :laugh:

Doubleumc
Jun 3, 2006
I got an achievement due to that for being the first one to log into the server.

Feels like I'm starting to get the hang of things, I've got my own little corner of the galaxy set up. Some starships, some citizens, some automated harvesters. Just figuring out where I want to go from there.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Oh hey, what a good time to search for the old hellmoo thread because I needed some stories from it.

SquadronROE posted:

It's not really HellMOO. It's very much exploration/survival/crafting gone mad. Think about it like Factorio mixed with Rust, but in the future.

Yep, loving sold.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

-Troika- posted:

Alternately, everyone should add Hawg on gtalk and harass him to add more planets and systems, apparently it's p easy for him to and the game can support 10x as many planets as we have now, no prob.

Something like this is coming post June (when I move wayfar to a system with more RAM). RAM is the main limitation because I pay for a VPS and Wayfar burns a lot of RAM. I'm also slammed with my new job for at least the new few months, and aphteroid is getting married or something (!!), but hopefully in the near future we'll start adding new systems and letting players explode/genesis device planets.

edit: Also I've made some major improvements to the map drawing code, and there are several other big fixes in progress (no ETA) on the test server. It'll be a while but the overall polish will eventually be vastly improved.

fuck the ROW fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I've never been able to figure out MOOs, but the idea of maybe being able to gently caress around and build stuff without getting killed or upsetting the delicate social order on a game sounds like it might be fun. Also,

quote:

hand-held energy absorption unit (aka energy absorption unit, absorption unit, and unit)
A Smith & Romney absorption unit. This unit is capable of collecting low grade energy from the environment.

Durability: [||||||||||] [ 25/25 ]
Module capacity: 50/50
The hand-held energy absorption unit has no modules installed.
This tool can harvest solar kretherson, thermal kretherson, purestrain solar kretherson, dense thermal kretherson, intrinsic field kretherson.

:iamafag:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 17, 2016

• Locked thread