Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's turned into a bookmobile for a bit. Everyone please follow it around the forums!

Link here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3147139

Might want to bookmark it because it should be travelling for the next few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I think it's a cool idea but you should just remake it honestly and make it a little more clear of the "mobile" intentions. And I actually just thought you go confused and moved it to Games on accident at first.

Also it's original poster is noted ex-mod LooseChanj, who Lowtax demodded for being creepy to goonnetes over SA Yearbook, that no one liked so it's inherently going to have a shadow over it and shitted up based on that, and it has a ton of posts dating back almost 7 years to 2009 that no one is going to want to read through and will just have a "necro'd thread" feel to it to outsiders.

It'd have more credence with your blue mod tag along as the original post.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 24, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Those are probably things I should have thought of yeah but it's outside my control now till it comes back here anyway (mods don't have any powers outside their own subforum). Still, things to keep in mind for next time. Hopefully everyone will have forgotten the old drama by now, and at least old book recommendation posts are still relatively valid -- a good book then is probably still a good book now.

I did pretty much entirely re-write LC's original post for that thread and it should be getting "stickied" at the top of each forum it wanders through (though that may vary a bit) so that should help it get noticed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Oh one last thing

Please try to be nice to people in the wandering thread because the whole idea is to make them want to come back here

I can't enforce that just asking, like, pretty please

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

*deeply thinking* how can we improve the goon literary forum? ah, let's move the recommendation thread to the video game subforum, known for its high quality posters

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Yeah I figured now it's too late but maybe when it gets moved back then you might want to close it (it's about time anyways), pop out a new one, and even link to the old one before you move it again to say... GBS/BYOB (which would probably be a failure but who knows!) where almost certainly that's going to come back to be a problem.

And it's not really about the old recs not still being valid, of course they are, but really it's the problem of "too many pages, too old" that no one is going to read and their brains will just shut off or ignore it because it has that necro'd feeling of not really being in touch with it. It wouldn't be so bad if it was like 5-10 pages at most which is probably about the cutoff before that happens. Again I think it's really just about time for a whole new recommendation thread anyways

Since it would be a new one, I might suggest even doing a short writeup in the OP just to seed discussion/interest with some example recs based on like "Well I like Game of Thrones/Lord of the Rings/Dune/XXXX... what's similar? --> Z" and other "Common goon-recommendations: X,Y,Z". And maybe link to a few common threads here like the SciFi/Fantasy thread or something. But mostly just kept brief and minimal as to not make any further recs useless.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A human heart posted:

*deeply thinking* how can we improve the goon literary forum? ah, let's move the recommendation thread to the video game subforum, known for its high quality posters

lol

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Move it to phiz so it can die like the rest of that forum

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh one last thing

Please try to be nice to people in the wandering thread because the whole idea is to make them want to come back here

I can't enforce that just asking, like, pretty please

No promises

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
We're in BYOB now ! Yay!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So that's why my eyes are bleeding.

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

that's just a symptom of the chilling. you'll be fine

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
OK we're in PYF now!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am excited to interact with the only subforum more useless than our own

a_young_doctor
Aug 11, 2007

this is africa
I am finishing up East of Eden by Steinbeck. I think it is an absolutely beautiful and well woven novel. Looking for something else that can follow this up. I really enjoy late 19th century, early 20th century American stories.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

a_young_doctor posted:

I am finishing up East of Eden by Steinbeck. I think it is an absolutely beautiful and well woven novel. Looking for something else that can follow this up. I really enjoy late 19th century, early 20th century American stories.

No thread splitting! Please post this request in the thread linked at the top so we're all looking in the same place (it will make its way back here eventually).

Also what other Steinbeck have you already read

a_young_doctor
Aug 11, 2007

this is africa
I swear I'm not a COMPLETE idiot.. didn't realize I wasn't in the other thread when I posted. Had it up in another tab apparently.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Anime Time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Traditional Games!

• Locked thread